• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Hannity Eyes Fox News Exit, Insiders Say

Maxim726X

I feel more and more that this 2016 election has become a pyrrhic victory for conservatives.

Hard to argue that at this point.

He looks like an asshole almost every day, can't even get bills past his own House, gets put in check by other institutions on a seemingly daily basis, and it will only get worse as its clear he has no political capital.

May end up being the best thing to happen to the Democratic party, if they can get their shit together.

Addi

What if...

Trump's entire goal was to bring down the scummiest Fox personalities/managers/partners with his presidency so the nation would be better off in the long run.

8th dimensional chess!

Can't you see it? Trump is fooling you, it's actually 9th dimensional chess! He'll probably bring them to the white house/start a Trump network with them.

Yeah. If Fox News collapses I'm afraid another network will spring up to replace it. Clearly there's a market for right-wing television news and I don't see Fox viewers being so loyal to the brand they'll stick with the network if the stars leave and the channel becomes more than a mouthpiece for racist Republican talking points.

Right, I'm hesitant to be too celebratory about this. Fox news is successful because it tells conservatives what they want to hear. It's not responsible for making them conservative in the first place.

Lo-Volt

Are the Murdoch lads woke?

The fun theory is that the Murdochs are woke to the risk to their bid for Sky in the UK and would like fewer headaches so their efforts to acquire it succeed. If Hannity wishes to be one less headache, I'm fine with that too to be honest. Take what you can get, right?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm trying to pinpoint what is causing the Fox News implosion.

Megyn Kelly leaving?
The Lawsuit against Bill?
Trump winning the White House?

Jombie

He'll still have a large presence within the realm of right wing bullshit. It honestly wouldn't change much.

Buckle

Its a good day.

BltZtDh.gif

I'm trying to pinpoint what is causing the Fox News implosion.

Megyn Kelly leaving?
The Lawsuit against Bill?
Trump winning the White House?
Trump's candidacy, led to Megyn Kelly asserting herself re: sexual harassment, led to Ailes and O'Reilly getting the boot, also led to the guy getting the boot that made Hannity want to leave, supposedly.

Joeku

Now if only the Murdoch brothers would abandon Fox & Friends on the side of a road somewhere.

Yeah, the morning show is where Trump sees what his opinion should be. Fingers crossed that a wrench gets thrown into that fuckshit of a machine, too.

Oh well, at least we have some early morning "people were so unfair to Sean" tweets to look forward to.

I doubt that Brietbart has the capital to pick up these people. O'Reilly and Hannity would each cost several times the existing talent payroll of those companies. Sean Hannity's total salary is somewhere around $30,000,000.
Seriously. Breitbart wouldn't even be profitable if not for the Mercer family subsidizing it. They don't have 50 million lying around to pay for these guys.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Trump's candidacy, led to Megyn Kelly asserting herself re: sexual harassment, led to Ailes and O'Reilly getting the boot, also led to the guy getting the boot that made Hannity want to leave, supposedly.

Reasonable theory.

It was apparently a house of cards, held together by nothing to fall apart that easily.

Reasonable theory.

It was apparently a house of cards, held together by nothing to fall apart that easily.
It's Ailes being forced out. He was holding the channel together. He was committed to shielding his employees from repercussions from sexual harassment, in no small part because he was so guilty of it. He was committed to keeping fox news a toxic boys club. Once he was gone and the place was put under new leadership it all came crashing down.

I think Gretchen Carlson deserves more credit than Megan Kelly. She was the first person to come out agsinst Ailes and really got the ball rolling. That was way before Kelly left and came out with her own allegations.

sazzy

This would be a good opportunity for Fox News to clean up its act and actually do good by fairly reporting news, since it already has a significant number of people tuning in.

Let's see if they do it.

TaterTots

Banned
No idea where'd he'd go at this point in his career, other than satalite radio or the internet.

He'd keep doing his radio program which has nearly 13 million listeners per week and move into the internet spectrum, so his voice and weight would still be heard loudly. Different situation than Bill O'Riley.

He'd keep doing his radio program which has nearly 13 million listeners per week and move into the internet spectrum, so his voice and weight would still be heard loudly. Different situation than Bill O'Riley.
No one on the internet wants to hear Sean Hannity. There is no viable platform for him to make the kind of money he used to on Fox.

Glenn Beck's failure with the Blaze is proof enough of that.

Unless Sean can get his own personal billionaire to bankroll his show for the purpose of messaging like with Breitbart he'll probably stick with radio. But that has also been dying with advertisers fleeing.

It would be amazing for the country if Fox news pushed away from being a hard right news organization as the article mentions.
Does not matter. Even if Fox moves away from being a far right propaganda outfit, another Network or Outlet would pop up in its place. I mean, the problem is not just Fox. There's a reason it exists. There's a market for it. Let's face it. A lot of people out there crave the kind of "alternative facts" Fox gives them.

Log4Girlz

Man all these years of a throbbing hard on for shitting on Obama...they fucking get Trump, the new god of the right, their ratings have been through the roof for years....and this place is falling apart. Holy fuck.

Ithil

Does not matter. Even if Fox moves away from being a far right propaganda outfit, another Network or Outlet would pop up in its place. I mean, the problem is not just Fox. There's a reason it exists. There's a market for it. Let's face it. A lot of people out there crave the kind of "alternative facts" Fox gives them.

Another outlet can't just "pop up" and get Fox News' audience, that's not how it works.

I didn't think this would happen under Trump, whaddya know.

Honestly, who would've predicted this at all?
It was gonna happen, either way. Even if Hillary, or hell, Bernie won. You can only cover up these kind of scandals for so long before it comes out. Bill Cosby scandals, for example.

Jumeira

Banned

Inspires hope as the scattered sources of hate are not in nearly as many homes as Fox, and makes it more difficult to keep a common consensus on far right rhetoric, ontop of (hopefully) Fox watering down some of that stuff that will likely come from Breibart etc, should be the type of disruption to slow down the rising popularity of alt fact crowd .

Another outlet can't just "pop up" and get Fox News' audience, that's not how it works.
Not saying it would happen literally over night. Of course not. But for all the finger pointing at Fox, which is rightfully deserved, there's a reason they exist. FTM, there's a reason right wing talk radio exists. It is because their viewers want/crave this kind of content.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I feel more and more that this 2016 election has become a pyrrhic victory for conservatives.

It certainly has been a litmus test for moderate Republicans, ones that deign to still carry a shred of dignity, rationality, and humility to really consider the depths of depravity needed for their team to gain full power and the hurdles they face within(not even against dems!) to actually achieve anything responsible and ethical.

If any such individuals actually exist.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hard to argue that at this point.

He looks like an asshole almost every day, can't even get bills past his own House, gets put in check by other institutions on a seemingly daily basis, and it will only get worse as its clear he has no political capital.

May end up being the best thing to happen to the Democratic party, if they can get their shit together.
Not that hard, actually. There's a lot of people who like what he's done so far. What looks like an asshole to you looks like a scrappy fighter to others. Don't mistake "failure" for "stuff he did that I don't like", because his supporters aren't looking at it through the same lens you are.

there's definitely gonna be a breitbart esque channel that'll come out of this, too many dominoes falling. will almost make fox seem like its slogan.

antonz

It's not that easy but its also not impossibly hard. The Audience are drones waiting for their next software update. Megyn Kelly refused to kiss the ring and suddenly she was an evil leftist out to destroy fox news etc.

Hannity has already been reaching out to his audience about the "demise" of Fox and how its turning liberal. The Drones will line up and wait for their next update from their overseers. The Biggest obstacle to a foxnews replacement is the fact the world has changed and advertisers will not just line up

Maxim726X

Not that hard, actually. There's a lot of people who like what he's done so far. What looks like an asshole to you looks like a scrappy fighter to others. Don't mistake "failure" for "stuff he did that I don't like", because his supporters aren't looking at it through the same lens you are.

I mean, beyond Gorsuch he hasn't done anything of import. At some point, when people realize that their lives haven't changed in any appreciable way, he'll sink even farther.

Joeku

It certainly has been a litmus test for moderate Republicans, ones that deign to still carry a shred of dignity, rationality, and humility to really consider the depths of depravity needed for their team to gain full power and the hurdles they face within(not even against dems!) to actually achieve anything responsible and ethical.

If any such individuals actually exist.

That any sense of decency seems to still exist is not because it is actually there in the moderate Republicans, but that there is enough power in the hands of the people to take away their jobs next year. Thanks Christ.

Edit: As to a Fox replacement, where is the money to support that? Where else can a single outlet exist that will be the one stop shop for continually supported ignorance? Nowhere else can pay as well as network tv (well, nowhere else beholden to subscribers or advertisers, at least). Individually these people will have their own ventures between radio and books and maybe some low-rent web streaming thing, but none of that will singularly impact the population, especially the median-aged 70 American population, as television.

What can they do, really? The strawman they had made of Obama was the only thing remotely keeping them in work for the past six years.

TaterTots

Banned
No one on the internet wants to hear Sean Hannity. There is no viable platform for him to make the kind of money he used to on Fox.

Glenn Beck's failure with the Blaze is proof enough of that.

Unless Sean can get his own personal billionaire to bankroll his show for the purpose of messaging like with Breitbart he'll probably stick with radio. But that has also been dying with advertisers fleeing.

What? There is always room for racists to make money off the internet. He has one of the most popular radio shows currently. He still has a audience.

digdug2k

That any sense of decency seems to still exist is not because it is actually there in the moderate Republicans, but that there is enough power in the hands of the people to take away their jobs next year. Thanks Christ.

Edit: As to a Fox replacement, where is the money to support that? Where else can a single outlet exist that will be the one stop shop for continually supported ignorance? Nowhere else can pay as well as network tv (well, nowhere else beholden to subscribers or advertisers, at least). Individually these people will have their own ventures between radio and books and maybe some low-rent web streaming thing, but none of that will singularly impact the population, especially the median-aged 70 American population, as television.
Heh. Maybe Trump will fund it. "State" TV funded via tax payer dollars filtered through trips to maralogo.

Top Bottom