• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Hannity Eyes Fox News Exit, Insiders Say

RDreamer

It's not that easy but its also not impossibly hard. The Audience are drones waiting for their next software update. Megyn Kelly refused to kiss the ring and suddenly she was an evil leftist out to destroy fox news etc.

Hannity has already been reaching out to his audience about the "demise" of Fox and how its turning liberal. The Drones will line up and wait for their next update from their overseers. The Biggest obstacle to a foxnews replacement is the fact the world has changed and advertisers will not just line up

The thing is that we should still cheer this because yes some drones will keep on after their pied pipers but a lot of people probably won't. There's a weird middle ground of people that probably just watch Fox out of habit and it's become a vicious cycle. If that cycle breaks a bit they might not put in the effort to go find where their idiots have gone.

It's kind of like Glenn Beck when he left. Yeah some followed him, but a lot of people didn't. That's good.

What? There is always room for racists to make money off the internet. He has one of the most popular radio shows currently. He still has a audience.
1. AM radio is dying. Literally. The average age of it's listeners are 60+. The average age of Fox News viewers is 74. That is not an exaggeration. These people aren't going to follow you to the internet because they don't understand the internet and how to use it. Case in point; Glenn Beck. Hugely popular show on Fox and a hugely popular radio show. Tried to migrate to the internet and The Blaze has done nothing but hemorrhage money and is actively falling apart. The internet is mostly consumed by millenials and Gen X. These people are mostly liberal.

That's not to say that racists and conservatives can't find an audience. But the kinds of conservatives drawing an audience onine are people like Alex Jones, Tomi Lauren, and Milo. People that feel "edgy", not boring old fuddy dudies like Hannity and O'Reilly. Internet audiences don't want to listen to their boring Grandpa.

Heck, Bill O'Reilly tried his hand at Youtubd vlogging and was met with apathy and endless trolling until he quit.

2. The internet doesn't provide the kind of income to it's talent that cable news does. Even Pewdiepie doesn't make the 15 to 30 million per year Sean Hannity makes. Alex Jones is probably the most prominent conservative online. He's clearly eating well, but he ain't making no 30 million dollars a year selling colloidal silver and Super Male Vitality.

AM Radio and Cable news are the only environments people like Hannity and Billo can thrive.

The only way Hannity can succeed in the internet is if he finds a bilionaire to subsidize him like Breitbart.

Tigress

I'd pay money to see Fox News turn into a liberal network during a fucking Donald Trump Presidency.

Make it happen.

Won't matter or help if these people go to a new news network. The same base that fox caters to will just move there and make that one popular. They don't listen to fox because they trust whatever fox says. They go there cause fox is/was saying what they want to hear (and the people known for telling them what to hear moving to another network will have them move).

I'd love it if Fox News dialed back the radical rightism (I don't think I've ever used that phrase before). I suspect that they will still be a right-wing channel, but one that doesn't entertain the idea that Pizzagate is a valid point of discussion.

Won't matter or help if these people go to a new news network. The same base that fox caters to will just move there and make that one popular. They don't listen to fox because they trust whatever fox says. They go there cause fox is/was saying what they want to hear (and the people known for telling them what to hear moving to another network will have them move).

If they went liberal I'd agree with you, but I think if Fox News just softened the hard right it took, people would be too complacent to actively seek out an alternative (and the ones who would are not a large group of people, and honestly were people who aren't really Fox's audience).

cackhyena

"Has negotiated" makes "not negotiating" true.

Kinda doubt he's trying to fudge things that way. Bet he talked with his people and said even with the regime change, I'm not gonna get these numbers elsewhere. I'll be the beacon humanity needs! Hannity for Humanity. That's what he said just trust me.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Here's the problem these people are gonna run into is cable in and of itself is on the decline.

They aren't gonna suddenly be able to make a new network pop out of thin air. Yes they can be part of Breitbart or The Blaze, but do expect those to suddenly get a TV presence.

Sure they'll be on radio and the internet. It's not exactly the same though.

Plus while you gain all of the young fedora wearing males that hate women, like to bash SJWs, and trend towards alt right when you go to the new internet upstarts you equally lose your older demo that just watches cable news and flips on their AM radio to hear Rush.

digdug2k

The thing is that we should still cheer this because yes some drones will keep on after their pied pipers but a lot of people probably won't. There's a weird middle ground of people that probably just watch Fox out of habit and it's become a vicious cycle. If that cycle breaks a bit they might not put in the effort to go find where their idiots have gone.

It's kind of like Glenn Beck when he left. Yeah some followed him, but a lot of people didn't. That's good.
I think Fox gave these guys some credibility that they'll have trouble finding elsewhere. I.e. the people I know who watched hem would ask me "can you turn on the news?" and then watch Hannity. Without the Fox news brand behind them, people have to admit to themselves that they're just watching self serving shit. Or not...

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Does not matter. Even if Fox moves away from being a far right propaganda outfit, another Network or Outlet would pop up in its place. I mean, the problem is not just Fox. There's a reason it exists. There's a market for it. Let's face it. A lot of people out there crave the kind of "alternative facts" Fox gives them.

Yea that's not really how that works. To launch/promote/hire talent is rough estimate a billion. After it launches you have to figure out a way to get the people that were previously watching Fox news to come on over and watch your channel. Where do they advertise this new network at? Facebook?

OK, lets say that against all odds Bill, Sean, and a few others launch this network them going through the process of doing that would at minimum give us 2 years of my Grandpa and his friends not being pumped full of propaganda (at least from this outlet) and that could make a difference in 2018 and 2020 elections!

Kronotech

Trump sure has accomplished a lot in his first few months. Destroying Fox news from the inside. I see your real game, Don. Kudos.

Top Bottom