• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Season's Beatings: Velocity | Fighting game tournament | October 14-16

Hazaro said:
gf5v2.gif

It's not nearly as good without the sound.

Ultimoo said:
he couldn't beat some random phoenix player with his phoenix, therefore, he is bad. evo champ loses to phoenix? bitter irony right there
hmm? didn't he actually win a set? didn't win two in a row, but don't act like viscant was free to flocker, because he wasn't

Acerac

Banned
As much as I hate Viscant I'd never call him a fraud. Take away his Wesker/DP and he'll still win tournaments. I just hate that style of play. He sets everything aside to whore out that DP, while with Flocker it seems to just be part of his game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rickenslacker said:
It isn't the characters, but how they're used I guess. Flocker actually uses Phoenix as a character rather than a last ditch resort to random out a win.
This is such a cop-out, when someone wins with Phoenix the defense is "well he's actually good at Phoenix." Complete bullshit, there are quite a few players that are good with Phoenix. Fillipino Champ, Clockw0rk, Flocker, and, Viscant. He's in that bracket of people who know how to play Phoenix.

Zero outplayed Wesker, Flocker's Tron outplayed Viscants, it's not difficult to see.

jman2050

One of the big things in that matchup was Flocker almost always opting to play Phoenix on point when Zero went down. Seems like it's more effective for him to support his Phoenix with Tron than to intentionally hold out for XF 3.

jayTOH

I don't remember which tournament or stream it was, but Viscant himself said that Zero was the better battery/start for a Phoenix team. I assume he just doesn't use him because of his well known low-execution style.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Karsticles said:
Viscant:
Uses top tier rushdown, get off me assist, and Phoenix.

Crowd: Booo! You're a fraud!

Flocker:
Uses top tier rushdown, get off me assist, and Phoenix.

Crowd: OMG such a good player!

Flocker was extremely skilled with every single character in his team. He relied on NOTHING, but picked Phoenix because she's obviously amazing.

Are you calling Zero top tier rushdown when much of the time he was running away? He intelligently looked for openings.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
enzo_gt said:
This is such a cop-out, when someone wins with Phoenix the defense is "well he's actually good at Phoenix." Complete bullshit, there are quite a few players that are good with Phoenix. Fillipino Champ, Clockw0rk, Flocker, and, Viscant. He's in that bracket of people who know how to play Phoenix.
Know how to play Phoenix or know how to play Dark Phoenix?

biosnake20 said:
Is it ok to post something profoundly inappropriate in spoilers and not get banned from gaf? Its a quote from the stream chat
Don't risk it lol.
enzo_gt said:

Zero outplayed Wesker, Flocker's Tron outplayed Viscants, it's not difficult to see.
His Tron is also more developed than Viscant's Haggar to boot.

Acerac

Banned
Grecco said:
Love how Viscant gets shat on now. His Wesker is legit. If you cant see it you are blind.
No worries, I was shitting on Viscant all through Evo. He plays Wesker like a champ, and I don't expect him to disappear once Ultimate comes out. Still feels good to see him lose by somebody who plays a full team instead of a Phoenix support team.

He picked Tron and he doesn't even know how to use her. -_-

Dahbomb

I will have to say that even though I didn't participated in the thread chat I was 100% with the stream all the way.

Flocker is the undeniable winner at SB if any of you guys followed him. Simply the most consistent Zero player out there and his combination with Zero + Tron was better than Viscant's patented Wesker + Haggar.

The better player won and no one can really deny this. I guess people are going to get salty because it's an all Phoenix final and Phoenix brings the salt... but make no mistake about Flocker's display of skill.

Going to open up a topic of discussion on the OT regarding Zero. I have been discussing with people even before this tournament that Zero is undeniably S tier character and the S tier should be expanded to at least 8 characters instead of the current 5.

Oh and MVC3 is the most hype game ever. Period.

If you couldn't tell the difference between the skill level those players had with those characters, you need to see an optometrist immediately.
I saw a very standard Zero demonstrating how powerful the character is, jumping around while firing level 3 buster shots into full combos or safe blockstrings like the thoughtful character he is, against Wesker.

C'mon I'm team Viscant, but I respect the "new" guy's rise to the top so quick and his extraordinary Zero/Tron play.
I'm not a Viscant fan, I just think it's silly that people really think there's a huge skill gap between the two players, and it's not just a team synergy gap. Zero is so much better at playing the kind of game Viscant wants to play, he just doesn't use the character, because he likes Wesker.

the difference is flocker don't need no DP!
Viscant won plenty of matches with just Wesker, and a few with normal Phoenix. It's just people being salty about him winning Evo.

Flocker actually plays his characters as a team. Viscant just does anything he can to set up DP. The difference was evident if you compared their Trons. Hell, Flocker actually used normal Phoenix, Viscant just killed her off asap to bring out DP.
Oh really? When did Flocker tag Tron out so she can play on point while being backed by Zero? Oh right, never. He turtles behind Tron just like Viscant turtles behind Haggar/Tron. That is the only difference, and that Zero clearly counterpicked the Haggar assist, so Viscant had to switch to Tron.

At no point did Viscant simply throw away characters. Ever.

It isn't the characters, but how they're used I guess. Flocker actually uses Phoenix as a character rather than a last ditch resort to random out a win.
Is that why Flocker brought her out before he had 5 bars all the time? There's no difference, people just hate Viscant for winning Evo.

The better player won and no one can really deny this. I guess people are going to get salty because it's an all Phoenix final and Phoenix brings the salt... but make no mistake about Flocker's display of skill.
The better TEAM won. This was not a match between players. Zero is just so much better than Wesker at the stalling game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
jayTOH said:
I don't remember which tournament or stream it was, but Viscant himself said that Zero was the better battery/start for a Phoenix team. I assume he just doesn't use him because of his well known low-execution style.
Yup.

Timedog said:
Flocker was extremely skilled with every single character in his team. He relied on NOTHING, but picked Phoenix because she's obviously amazing.

Are you calling Zero top tier rushdown when much of the time he was running away? He intelligently looked for openings.
Zero has always been top tier rushdown, I'm not sure what's new here. We've known this since Winter Brawl with Marn, Zero's a priority whore.

Htown said:
Know how to play Phoenix or know how to play Dark Phoenix?
For that list of players, both. Viscant's DP outshined Flocker's DP more times than not, and the inverse for regular Phoenix, but they still damn well know how to play her about equally.

Road

biosnake20 said:
Is it ok to post something profoundly inappropriate in spoilers and not get banned from gaf? Its a quote from the stream chat
Please, no spoilers. There's little things more annoying than being in a thread and being spoiled about something completely unrelated to that thread. I don't care or know if it is banned.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
MARVEL IS THE MOST HYPE THING ON THIS PLANET OMG.

I played against Flocker for like 3 dozen matches in casuals. Dude's fucking awesome.

Frantic

I honestly hope that Viscant will drop Phoenix in Ultimate, and create a team surrounding his mixups. A lot of times he can kill characters with the meter he builds during combos, but holds off because he wants to get Dark Phoenix just in case. If he could find a team that surrounds mixups and only that, I think he would be much better off - and it'd help to remove the 'fraud' image that surrounds him.

jayTOH said:
It was at Devastation, and he was actually talking about Flocker. Personally, I've never really found Zero high-execution... then again, I main Dante so I could be biased about what is considered 'high-execution'.

Sixfortyfive said:
MARVEL IS THE MOST HYPE THING ON THIS PLANET OMG.

I played against Flocker for like 3 dozen matches in casuals. Dude's fucking awesome.
Damn, I'm jealous. I've always wanted to play some casuals against some top players.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
enzo_gt said:
Zero has always been top tier rushdown, I'm not sure what's new here. We've known this since Winter Brawl with Marn, Zero's a priority whore.

I never said that Zero wasn't top tier rushdown. My beef was obviously with your comparison, which makes it seem like you didn't actually watch the matches, but made judgments from the character select screen.

Road said:
Please, no spoilers. There's little things more annoying than being in a thread and being spoiled about something completely unrelated to that thread. I don't care or know if it is banned.

he means spoilers like putting in black that requires users to highlight to see. not spoilers for a story.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jayTOH said:

Zero also cant take hits like Wesker can

enzo_gt said:

This is true, just in regards to the whole "fraud or not" thing it seems like the perception is from their Phoenix play since XFDP can end up making character leads irrelevant. Though I don't hate on Viscant at all, does what he has to and it gets him far.

People really need to check themselves if they think that Viscant is some sort of fraud. The guy is legitimately one of the best players in the country. The thing about tonight's matches is that you can definitely see who the better player was tonight and that little difference at such a high level can astound regular folks like us.

Let us not get it twisted here... the difference is small, but it is very VERY clear. Flocker is the best we've seen so far as an all around player and he knows how to use EVERY character on his team to an extremely high degree. Viscant's weakness seems to lie in that assist character where he can't fully flesh Tron or Haggar out.
Karsticles said:
The better TEAM won. This was not a match between players. Zero is just so much better than Wesker at the stalling game.
This is a new one. I play the shittiest character in the game, but I've got to accept that I lose to the player and not the team. Excuses can't be made because of a particular character's strengths or everyone who doesn't play a top tier team can make up excuses.

That is just how it is...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Timedog said:
I never said that Zero wasn't top tier rushdown. My beef was obviously with your comparison, which makes it seem like you didn't actually watch the matches, but made judgments from the character select screen.
He spent more time rushing down than running away, that's for sure. Just because he was safe about where he was rushing down doesn't mean he was running away, it just means he was rushing down WELL.

Acerac

Banned
Karsticles said:
Oh really? When did Flocker tag Tron out so she can play on point while being backed by Zero? Oh right, never. He turtles behind Tron just like Viscant turtles behind Haggar/Tron. That is the only difference, and that Zero clearly counterpicked the Haggar assist, so Viscant had to switch to Tron.

At no point did Viscant simply throw away characters. Ever.
I'm not saying Viscant threw his characters away, I'm just saying that when it was necessary Flocker could do some damage with Tron til she could get tagged out. Of course he's not going to fight with her given the option to tag her out safely, but when push comes to shove he seemed much more competent with both Tron and normal Phoenix.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think the best salt is Viscant supporter salt in this thread. People getting really riled at all the fraud and DP whore talk.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
enzo_gt said:
He spent more time rushing down than running away, that's for sure. Just because he was safe about where he was rushing down doesn't mean he was running away, it just means he was rushing down WELL.

By that logic every character is a rushdown character, i mean, you have to do some sort of offensive moves if you want to get life off the other characters. Everyone is a rushdown character unless they lose.

SolarPowered said:
People really need to check themselves if they think that Viscant is some sort of fraud. The guy is legitimately one of the best players in the country. The thing about tonight's matches is that you can definitely see who the better player was tonight and that little difference at such a high level can astound regular folks like us.

Let us not get it twisted here... the difference is small, but it is very VERY clear. Flocker is the best we've seen so far as an all around player and he knows how to use EVERY character on his team to an extremely high degree. Viscant's weakness seems to lie in that assist character where he can't fully flesh Tron or Haggar out.

This is a new one. I play the shittiest character in the game, but I've got to accept that I lose to the player and not the team. Excuses can't be made because of a particular character's strengths or everyone who doesn't play a top tier team can make up excuses.

His Haggar game is actually very good, it's just that the character sucks so much apart from the assist. Tron's in a whole other league.

Wallach

SolarPowered said:

I agree with this. I think he plays a much better Haggar, but Haggar is ass even compared to Tron, so it matters less in the grand scheme of things.

Azure J

"Method vs. Execution" seems to be the big thing to take from this match. Viscant stayed true to what worked for him, making a set of options appear after capitalizing on hits then going through the list and picking the best one for him. His machine was working just as fine and lethally now as it was when he was at EVO and further back. He just mindfucked himself a bit picking Tron when he pretty much can't play her more than barebones. Sure it net him a few wins and a breather, but he was out of his comfort zone once things came down to how many characters he had that he could decently play. Having even one member of your team that you can't capitalize with versus any other pro team, especially one with a Phoenix on it is just a massive liability.

Flocker however is the execution side of things. On top of knowing how his characters worked, he was able to turn any one off hit into something big, be it a snap back, dead character or setup for another character to clean up. You also seriously can't knock his Phoenix if you subscribe to "Phoenix players are cheap mode because they just wait it out for the Dark Phoenix" train of thought. Flocker was using fucking fly cancel combos, setting up overhead unblockables between assist calls and Phoenix's overhead and just being very bold with a character most people put in fucking storage under lock and key in most matches due to her fragility.

HK-47 said:
I think the best salt is Viscant supporter salt in this thread. People getting really riled at all the fraud and DP whore talk.

What do viscant supporters have to be salty about? If anything this all coming from people are bitter about dark phoenix.

"At least flocker is good with normal phoenix." Who cares. He still uses Phoenix. And tron. And zero. Bullshit excuse to dickride.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sickboy007 said:
His Haggar game is actually very good, it's just that the character sucks so much apart from the assist.

Dont worry, they nerfed the assist in UMvC but I hear...they barely did anything to make up for that! Balancing, Capcom style!

Grecco

Viscant mostly used Ironman and uses Haggar/Tron vs Pheonix teams. IIRC he said so when he faced Clockwork in a WNF/G4 thing i think.

I'm not saying Viscant threw his characters away, I'm just saying that when it was necessary Flocker could do some damage with Tron til she could get tagged out. Of course he's not going to fight with her given the option to tag her out safely, but when push comes to shove he seemed much more competent with both Tron and normal Phoenix.
This is due to them having different playstyles. Viscant prefers to have XF3 Dark Phoenix, and Flocker prefers XF2 Dark Phoenix plus an invincible assist to back her up. With that difference in taste, it makes sense that Flocker would be more comfortable with being a bit aggressive with Phoenix, because that's his normal playstyle. I don't think that preference makes one or the other better, personally.

It shouldn't be new to you. It's the same reason I give to you for why you lose to me. Your team just does not have any answer to mine beyond your point character. Team matchups DO matter.

By the same logic, whenever a player slaps Haggar onto their team to beat Wolverine, we ought to be conscious that Haggar IS winning those matches for the player.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SolarPowered said:

Anyone remember when Viscant said he'd hit the skill ceiling once people get good at execution-heavy characters and it devolves into a game of execution?

Nah didn't think so from this thread. We know why Viscant plays how he plays, he even admits his 2nd character is his weakness, I just don't know why he switched to Tron, it didn't help him at all, less than Haggar even.

Timedog said:
By that logic every character is a rushdown character, i mean, you have to do some sort of offensive moves if you want to get life off the other characters. Everyone is a rushdown character unless they lose.
Call it what you want, but then clearly by definition Zero is one of the best at doing so, hell he's even a good zoning character. He's a godlike character all around just like Viper, just execution heavy. That's what keeps him as a killer, and what gave Marn the edge in early MvC3.

El Sloth

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
At least flocker is good with normal phoenix. Who cares. He still uses Phoenix. And tron. And zero. Bullshit excuse to dickride.
Word. I need no excuses to dickride.

Saddle up, son.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DryEyeRelief said:
What do viscant supporters have to be salty about? If anything this all coming from people are bitter about dark phoenix.

At least flocker is good with normal phoenix. Who cares. Bullshit excuse to dickride.

Thats the best salt. People crying at obvious BS hyperbole.

Road

DryEyeRelief said:
he means spoilers like putting in black that requires users to highlight to see. not spoilers for a story.
Haha Re-reading it now, it is clear he meant that. My bad. You see how affected I get just by the simple idea that the situation I described might happen. =P

Neki

DryEyeRelief said:

"At least flocker is good with normal phoenix." Who cares. He still uses Phoenix. And tron. And zero. Bullshit excuse to dickride.

nothing wrong with tron.

Top Bottom