• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Season's Beatings: Velocity | Fighting game tournament | October 14-16

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Karsticles said:
This is due to them having different playstyles. Viscant prefers to have XF3 Dark Phoenix, and Flocker prefers XF2 Dark Phoenix plus an invincible assist to back her up. With that difference in taste, it makes sense that Flocker would be more comfortable with being a bit aggressive with Phoenix, because that's his normal playstyle. I don't think that preference makes one or the other better, personally.

If Viscant prefers XF3 Phoenix, he REALLY should get good with fighing as Tron, cause Tron is gonna get killed (and in the process have to defend/fight) most of the time before the opponent can get to Viscants Phoenix.

That's no excuse at all. Flocker's Phoenix was just way better.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Karsticles said:
Viscant:
Uses top tier rushdown, get off me assist, and Phoenix.

Crowd: Booo! You're a fraud!

Flocker:
Uses top tier rushdown, get off me assist, and Phoenix.

Crowd: OMG such a good player!
For the record, this was mostly an east coast vs west coast thing.

Lots of money being exchanged throughout the course of the entire top 16. Was crazy.

Dahbomb

I would also add one thing coming from the perspective of the Wesker vs Zero match up.

Wesker is completely FREE to Zero if he is not allowed to use his Counter. If Wesker is on a Phoenix team fighting against Zero then he is crippled and he really can't do much. Zero beats him in terms of priority (range mostly) and has a superior projectile to throw out. Wesker has to get lucky with a stray gun shot and without something like an Iron Man beam assist to lock at full range he can't get in on Zero especially when backed up by an invincible assist.

Although Haggar beats Tron assist. But Haggar is sort of not great against a runaway Zero but Tron isn't that much better either. Maybe Iron Man would've been a better pick for getting in and locking down at a range. Whatever...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sixfortyfive said:

Lots of money being exchanged throughout the course of the entire top 16. Was crazy.

Thats right, Beast Coast won...

Sixfortyfive

Dahbomb said:
Wesker is completely FREE to Zero if he is not allowed to use his Counter.
Yeah, one of my teammates and I were talking about this during the match: Viscant probably has the better general-purpose team but Zero beats it in a Phoenix mirror because he has better mix-ups.

If Viscant prefers XF3 Phoenix, he REALLY should get good with fighing as Tron, cause Tron is gonna get killed (and in the process have to defend/fight) most of the time before the opponent can get to Viscants Phoenix.

That's no excuse at all. Flocker's Phoenix was just way better.
Except Viscant doesn't use Tron. He just picked her because he discovered from their first set that Zero hard counters Haggar, and he can't 100% change a team concept on the fly. Tron was all he had; he's clearly not practiced with her.

All the more reason why this was a bad team matchup, and doesn't demonstrate player strength differences.

I'm not a gambler, so that did not even occur to me. Interesting point.

Although Haggar beats Tron assist. But Haggar is sort of not great against a runaway Zero but Tron isn't that much better either. Maybe Iron Man would've been a better pick for getting in and locking down at a range. Whatever...
I don't think Iron Man would help him against Zero. Level 3 buster has ridiculous priority, and Zero can spend so long in the air...

Tonight's stream has only made me want one thing. I wish Phoenix were just a regular character with 700k health. I'd probably use her if it weren't for DP...
Karsticles said:
It shouldn't be new to you. It's the same reason I give to you for why you lose to me. Your team just does not have any answer to mine beyond your point character. Team matchups DO matter.

By the same logic, whenever a player slaps Haggar onto their team to beat Wolverine, we ought to be conscious that Haggar IS winning those matches for the player.
It makes sense, but it is a brand new concept. Fighters up until now have always been a clear genre to me where skill is above everything else.

It's a hard concept to grasp for someone like me who has never seriously played a team game like MvC3 I guess.
Sixfortyfive said:
Figures GAF would find some way to deflate the contact high I got from this event.
I thought the discussion going on just now was fine and informed enough...

At least it was devoid of crazy insults and stream monster stuff lol.
Dahbomb said:
I would also add one thing coming from the perspective of the Wesker vs Zero match up.

Wesker is completely FREE to Zero if he is not allowed to use his Counter. If Wesker is on a Phoenix team fighting against Zero then he is crippled and he really can't do much. Zero beats him in terms of priority (range mostly) and has a superior projectile to throw out. Wesker has to get lucky with a stray gun shot and without something like an Iron Man beam assist to lock at full range he can't get in on Zero especially when backed up by an invincible assist.

Zero is going to run amok in UMvC3. I have no choice, but to switch teams or I'm going to face annihilation at the hands of the new S tier...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
SolarPowered said:
Tonight's stream has only made me want one thing. I wish Phoenix were just a regular character with 700k health. I'd probably use her if it weren't for DP...

It makes sense, but it is a brand new concept. Fighters up until now have always been a clear genre to me where skill is above everything else.

It's a hard concept to grasp for someone like me who has never seriously played a team game like MvC3 I guess.

I thought the discussion going on just now was fine and informed enough...

At least it was devoid of crazy insults and stream monster stuff lol.

700k health? You don't think that's low? She'd still be the lowest character in the game by far, and not have transformation. Normal Phoenix really isn't THAT good.

Acerac

Banned
Karsticles said:
This is due to them having different playstyles. Viscant prefers to have XF3 Dark Phoenix, and Flocker prefers XF2 Dark Phoenix plus an invincible assist to back her up. With that difference in taste, it makes sense that Flocker would be more comfortable with being a bit aggressive with Phoenix, because that's his normal playstyle. I don't think that preference makes one or the other better, personally.
I won't say it makes Flocker the better player. I will say it makes him less boring to watch, which is the main thing I care about when I'm watching a tournament.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sixfortyfive said:
Figures GAF would find some way to deflate the contact high I got from this event.
Contact high? Like high tier? FRAUD!

I'm considering picking up nerfed to shit Phoenix in UMvC3 so I won't have to sacrifice my dignity. I want to play her cause she has the most godlike alts, and regular Phoenix is actually really fun to play.

Sixfortyfive

Timedog said:
700k health? You don't think that's low? She'd still be the lowest character in the game by far, and not have transformation. Normal Phoenix really isn't THAT good.
Healing field, dude. It effectively gives her a 50% HP boost if she doesn't have to worry about meter for DP.

Man, I remember saying that Phoenix was the 2nd best character in the game next to Dark Phoenix in like March or some shit. I'd like to think that Flocker is demonstrating that I've been ahead of the curve. :p

If my Phoenix didn't get randomed out by level 1 hypers, I don't think I'd ever lose with my current team...

I think her health is where it needs to be, personally.

Ah, gotcha. The concept goes back to MvC2. One of the reasons JWong would beat Clockwork consistently was that Cyclop's anti-air assist completely shut down Doom's Molecular Shield.

Heck, if you have the time, check out some videos of Spiral or Cable lockdown in MvC2. Some characters had no answer to this, and would literally go from 100% to 0, three characters, through chip damage with very little effort.

Zero is going to run amok in UMvC3. I have no choice, but to switch teams or I'm going to face annihilation at the hands of the new S tier...
At least Zero is one of those characters I can chip out if I get space...

Haha, oh yes she is. I use Phoenix on point, and I think 700K would make her ridiculously strong.

I won't say it makes Flocker the better player. I will say it makes him less boring to watch, which is the main thing I care about when I'm watching a tournament.
Fair enough!

I'm considering picking up nerfed to shit Phoenix in UMvC3 so I won't have to sacrifice my dignity. I want to play her cause she has the most godlike alts, and regular Phoenix is actually really fun to play.
Use my team and put her on point. Hilarious fun, and you get to OCV people with Phoenix on point...so much salt, rage...

Healing field, dude. It effectively gives her a 50% HP boost if she doesn't have to worry about meter for DP.
Even more than 50% due to how red health generation works.

Vice

Ultimoo said:
viscant:

wins evo with dark phoenix

loses to a random dark phoenix

best mvc3 player ever. lool.

He lost to a player who beat the best MVC3 players on the planet down mercilessly every time he's played them this weekend. It doesn't mean Viscant is bad it means Flocker is a beast.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Vice said:
He lost to a player who beat the best MVC3 players on the planet down mercilessly every time he's played them this weekend. It doesn't mean Viscant is bad it means Flocker is a beast.
No no, you don't understand. One has to be good and one has to be evil.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Karsticles said:
Viscant won plenty of matches with just Wesker, and a few with normal Phoenix. It's just people being salty about him winning Evo.
I think this pretty much nails it. Viscant's cards are on the table more so than any other MvC3 player and he's still performing against the best competitors. It's too bad that people let their contempt for Phoenix get in the way of appreciating how smart Viscant's approach to the game has been.

I think this is the first time a lot of people have encountered Flocker's team. People were doing silly things like snapping Zero out instead of killing him, because they were thinking he's like Wesker and takes a lot of effort to kill while building meter.

When MastaCJ first came out with his Dormammu team, he stomped a lot of people just because dedicated rushdown with Dormammu was still a pretty new concept, and people didn't know how to deal with it. Within a few months, people learned, and MastaCJ dropped his team.

Certainly, Flocker wouldn't have to drop his team - it's a great team. I just mean that matchup inexperience is a big factor in this game.

Azure J

SolarPowered said:

This so fucking much. Phoenix's archetype is really attractive to me and one of the reasons why I like seeing people play her versus storing her away. If I could have an 750K Phoenix with no DP mode and just maybe a slight damage buff, I'd take it and wouldn't look back once.

Sixfortyfive said:

Man, I remember saying that Phoenix was the 2nd best character in the game next to Dark Phoenix in like March or some shit. I'd like to think that Flocker is demonstrating that I've been ahead of the curve. :p

You and me both man, I remember the discussions. It's even more hilarious from me because its 100% theory that has proven itself 100% as of this event. :lol

Dahbomb

700K vanilla Phoenix would be broken. Maybe if it was UMVC3 regular Phoenix but even then....

She is an S tier character who no one even uses outside of DP. If regular Phoenix was free to use meter even with 400K health she would still be an S tier character. She dominates the match up so well and the only reason why she doesn't OCV teams because most of the time she is left fighting 3 player teams solo without an assist and without meter for damage.

Chavelo

Oh, apparently it was Sp00ky trolling Art with some slow jazz while Art was trying to explain why Sim was ass.

GIMME TIME STAMPS, PEOPLE :<

Azure J

biosnake20 said:
Take umvc3 regular pheonix give her 800k health and take away dark pheonix and healing field.

Woah, the idea is to make her viable, not nerf her to shit. :lol

Maybe decrease Healing Field's speed of recovery, range, or cap her at 600-750K. I dunno what to suggest regarding air actions, so I'll say Ultimate Phoenix plus these would make her a cool character.

Azure J

Chavelo said:
Oh, apparently it was Sp00ky trolling Art with some slow jazz while Art was trying to explain why Sim was ass.

GIMME TIME STAMPS, PEOPLE :<

I'm just waiting for it to hit Pavy's channel. That shit was the best non-actual match moment on this stream. :lol

Dahbomb said:
700K vanilla Phoenix would be broken. Maybe if it was UMVC3 regular Phoenix but even then....

She is an S tier character who no one even uses outside of DP. If regular Phoenix was free to use meter even with 400K health she would still be an S tier character. She dominates the match up so well and the only reason why she doesn't OCV teams because most of the time she is left fighting 3 player teams solo without an assist and without meter for damage.
I guess I should have stated that I'd like Phoenix with that health if she were nerfed some.

Can't stand playing low health characters and Ammy/Hsien-Ko(VS Hsien-Ko, not MvC3 Hsien-Ko who is not that bad) are the only exceptions to that rule for me(when I started playing more seriously post-BlazBlue)...

Sixfortyfive

smurfx said:
hey sixfortyfive how did you do anyway? i saw your friend snadmonkey on stream but not you.
Won 2 matches in winners and then lost my next 2, first of which was on stream. The guys I lost to were competent but I wasn't really satisfied with how I played. Played too conservative on my first loss and Skrull inexperience did me in on the second. Did slightly better in teams. We got taken out by Detrimantix/Flocker/some other Phoenix.

Best creative team I fought all weekend was some fool running Jill/Spencer/Modok. The guy won 95% of all airthrow contests (something I'm usually really good at), could setup the DHC glitch in the most creative ways, and used that Modok bomb assist to restrict his opponent's movements and make for some really awesome combos and setups. He didn't know how to fight Morrigan though so I usually still cheesed him on XF3 comebacks.

I played Flocker twice on Friday without knowing who he was as he was using alternate teams on me. Tracked him down Sunday and asked for some real games. In the rare event that I could actually get him down to just Phoenix, I usually won because Morrigan can actually fight Phoenix, but that almost never happened (somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% of the matches) because his Zero is on some next level shit. He was really personable and was getting a ton of matches in against everyone. Most of the top players that go to these things are friendly and all but they're usually just hanging with their own specific groups the entire time and it's hard to get any games in with them unless it's a money match.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Sixfortyfive said:
Won 2 matches in winners and then lost my next 2, first of which was on stream. The guys I lost to were competent but I wasn't really satisfied with how I played. Played too conservative on my first loss and Skrull inexperience did me in on the second. Did slightly better in teams. We got taken out by Detrimantix/Flocker/some other Phoenix.

Best creative team I fought all weekend was some fool running Jill/Spencer/Modok. The guy won 95% of all airthrow contests (something I'm usually really good at), could setup the DHC glitch in the most creative ways, and used that Modok bomb assist to restrict his opponent's movements and make for some really awesome combos and setups. He didn't know how to fight Morrigan though so I usually still cheesed him on XF3 comebacks.

I played Flocker twice on Friday without knowing who he was as he was using alternate teams on me. Tracked him down Sunday and asked for some real games. In the rare event that I could actually get him down to just Phoenix, I usually won because Morrigan can actually fight Phoenix, but that almost never happened (somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% of the matches) because his Zero is on some next level shit. He was really personable and was getting a ton of matches in against everyone. Most of the top players that go to these things are friendly and all but they're usually just hanging with their own specific groups the entire time and it's hard to get any games in with them unless it's a money match.

So were you getting matches in like hotel rooms then? How do you get matches with someone at a tournament? Are there setups not being used on the actual tournament floor?

Sixfortyfive

Timedog said:
So were you getting matches in like hotel rooms then? How do you get matches with someone at a tournament? Are there setups not being used on the actual tournament floor?
Lots of stations are usually open during downtime between pools, plus a small number of casual setups in the corner. Most staions were free Sunday afternoon as the tournaments were thinning out to top 16 and everything remaining was being run on stream. A number of people do bring setups for their hotel rooms as well.

smurfx

get some go again
hey sixfortyfive do you know the link to your matches? i'd like to watch. i know the SB matches are up on spooky's stream site but i don't want to be searching for a long time.

Top Bottom