• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

DeVeAn

Hey GAF, I will be heading to Seattle with my wife. I have a full time job waiting for me and some funds to hold me over. I have done some research and I know its expensive. I will be working in the university district. I will only be taking the essentials with me and including my car. I am willing to commute 35 mins max to work if it means significantly cheaper dwelling. From what I see its about $1400 for a studio. I am okay with with a studio its only my wife and I.

I am coming from SoCal Palm Springs area if that helps any. Thanks Gaf!

leroidys

Hey GAF, I will be heading to Seattle with my wife. I have a full time job waiting for me and some funds to hold me over. I have done some research and I know its expensive. I will be working in the university district. I will only be taking the essentials with me and including my car. I am willing to commute 35 mins max to work if it means significantly cheaper dwelling. From what I see its about $1400 for a studio. I am okay with with a studio its only my wife and I.

What time are you commuting? I live 3 miles away from my work downtown and I'm lucky if it takes me 35 minutes.

leroidys

If you want any reccs, then hit me up, but for restaurants:

1. Don't bother with bloody Mary's unless you want Polynesian Senor Frog (it's not bad, just touristy)
2. The Yacht Club and St. James (especially the latter) are great for romantic nights
3. Food trucks gather on the outskirts of Vaitape for locals and are an amazing place to try a variety of cheap food

We stayed at the Pearl Beach resort. Was waaaaaaay cheaper than 4 Seasons etc, but still utterly fantastic.

We went on a snorkel trip that was absolutely worth it. Saw everything from flocks of Eagle Rays to proper sharks and Turtles.

Thanks for the recs, didn't end up having enough time to check them out this time, but will definitely keep this filed away for next time.

Hard to say. Won't have a fixed schedule.

If you can commute over from Lynnwood (should be ~35 minutes at off-peak) you could get something significantly cheaper.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
We went on a snorkel trip that was absolutely worth it. Saw everything from flocks of Eagle Rays to proper sharks and Turtles.

Can you gimme more details about which snorkel... business? you used, what beach it was at, etc... We're getting married in Honolulu this coming April and a really good afternoon snorkeling is one of the only specific things on the docket.

Dany

Banned

You can totally manage a 1 bed room with that budget in Beacon Hill. We are, It's near I-5 and I-90. Close to downtown, good transit options as well.

Having a commute less than 35 minutes is very lucky. If you have to cross a floating bridge or take the interstate through downtown it won't be less. Check bus lines for express routes or the locations of the light rail if you don't want to live in your work neighborhood.

I just learned there's a Seattle-GAF thread.

While I visit Seattle many times a year for the past 6 years, this is the first time that I'm bringing my wife to the area for her birthday this weekend. We're staying in Westlake (I've never stayed here before), and looking for some good dining options. I've already booked a reservation at Elliott's Oyster House on Saturday, but we'll be there until Monday afternoon. Any suggestions?

While I visit Seattle many times a year for the past 6 years, this is the first time that I'm bringing my wife to the area for her birthday this weekend. We're staying in Westlake (I've never stayed here before), and looking for some good dining options. I've already booked a reservation at Elliott's Oyster House on Saturday, but we'll be there until Monday afternoon. Any suggestions?

Will you have a car or up for taking the bus? Go to Joule in Fremont.

Sol1dus

I really like the tapas place in Ballard "Ocho" It was my go-to date spot. A little pricey though, but great ambiance.

Staple and Fancy is another good option in Ballard. Not top tier expensive but still pricey.

Thanks for the suggestions.

With Christmas coming up, and a screwup on my paycheck, I'm limited to only one pricey restaurant this trip, and the wife already chose Elliott's because she wants seafood for her birthday dinner. I won't have a car, just taking the light rail on Friday & Saturday, and we are taking the Boltbus up to Bellingham on Sunday to watch the Hawks game with a friend. I was really looking for some place accessible on the rail line that's moderately priced.

dLMN8R

Look, this is a difficult recommendation for me to make because it's hard for most omnivores to believe it, but one of my favorite restaurants across all of Seattle is Harvest Beat in Wallingford.

It's a fully vegan resta-I SAID LISTEN TO ME I'M SERIOUS KEEP READING

Yes, it's a fully vegan restaurant, but it's incredibly good and has some of the most creative, delicious, and filling creations I've eaten in the city.

It's not cheap, but it's far from expensive compared to most fine dining - $50/person for a fixed 5-6 course meal, and they have wine pairings ($32) and non-alcoholic drink pairings ($18). Compared to other highly-recommend restaurants in the area, that's not bad at all, especially for the quality and quantity of the food and drinks you get.

I love a steak or burger as much as the next guy, but Harvest Beat is probably my favorite "special occasion" meal in the city right now.

I was going to say I just learned there was a SeattleGAF, but the thread was actually in my subs, so I must have posted in here at some point.

Live in West Seattle, work in the South Lake Union area. No, I don't work for Amazon.

Looking forward to chatting.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hold onto your butts. The weather forecast is predicting light or no snow. Based on windpocalypse from last month I take this to mean a deadly blizzard.

Went to an amazing cafe called The 5 Points Cafe a few blocks from the Space Needle. Loved the ambiance and the food. Then went to the MoPOP and probably stayed in their horror exhibit for about an hour. It was worth the price of admission alone.

Went to an amazing cafe called The 5 Points Cafe a few blocks from the Space Needle. Loved the ambiance and the food. Then went to the MoPOP and probably stayed in their horror exhibit for about an hour. It was worth the price of admission alone.

5 Point is a great dive bar/greasy spoon. My wife and I used to go there on weekends after movies and concerts when we lived in Lower Queen back in 2004-2006. Such a fun place and whenever the Fisherman's Platter was on the special board I was in heaven.

Stinkles

5 Point is a great dive bar/greasy spoon. My wife and I used to go there on weekends after movies and concerts when we lived in Lower Queen back in 2004-2006. Such a fun place and whenever the Fisherman's Platter was on the special board I was in heaven.

Do they still do theme nights?

Stinkles

Can you gimme more details about which snorkel... business? you used, what beach it was at, etc... We're getting married in Honolulu this coming April and a really good afternoon snorkeling is one of the only specific things on the docket.

Yes! This one. I got a m/L for me and an S for my daughter and they worked amazingly well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CX96VW6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd be happy to loan you mine. Unlikely to be snorkeling in April. We snorkeled every day in the shallow coral off our bungalow and then on a guided trip, which was absolutely worthwhile.

Dany

Banned
If I'm late to the first day of my job tomorrow...
LLShC.gif

_woLf

that hail slush bullshit from earlier today is all gonna freeze over tomorrow and make my commute to work hell

good times

jb1234

Makes me miss that one week where snow kept dumping until we had well over a foot of it packed on the ground. That was a fun time.

It's pissing me off! Light flurries coming down when I first got out of bed, but by the time I was out of the shower, the snow had stopped and there was literally no trace of any on the ground. Stupid PNW. :(

It was rainy when I left home this morning around 7:30. Lots of snow on I-5 around Tukwila/Federal Way, but then warm and rainy down in the Kent valley when I got off I-5. My wife said it was wet snow at our place around 9.

Top Bottom