• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This week looks so brutal temp wise. RIP

DANGEROUS HEAT ADVISORY

TJEdEj9.gif

finalflame

Gold Member
This is not what I came to Seattle for, my dudes. Glad my portable AC will be here Wednesday, when it's supposed to hit 90. Fuck.

Stinkles

I'm going to Orcas Island. I bet the Sound will be 80 degrees and pleasant and not full of hungry Orcas and Octopi.

leroidys

Hey Seattle-Gaf, I'm coming to visit for a week. What things should I absolutely plan on doing? (Hitting up the Pop Culture Museum for sure)
Some new-Seattle past times to enjoy-

Complain about the homeless
Complain about the weather
Buy some investment property
Get a $15 fast food quality burger
Sit in traffic
Make plans with people then bail
Watch a sports team lose

Stinkles

Hey Seattle-Gaf, I'm coming to visit for a week. What things should I absolutely plan on doing? (Hitting up the Pop Culture Museum for sure)

Rent a boat and tool around on the lake. Go to Golden Gardens/Hiram Chittenden Locks/Alki beach. Have BRUNCH at the space needle which gets you special access, no lines, AMAZING view and remarkably good food. Spendy but totally worth it for the VIPO treatment.

Take a seaplane ride (they have sightseeing ones).

Take a beach towel and picnic at the public docks near Tracy Owen park (Logboom?) on the Burke Gilman Trail. Go a bit further north to the brewpub there. Also rent bikes and ride that gorgeous easy trail.

Rent a Kayak from Agua Verde and have margaritas before you go tour the houseboats in your kayak (they had a fire last week so check first).

If you have a car drive to Snoqualmie and the Twin peaks places and do some amazing hikes (Rattlesnake ridge etc).

Have sushi at Shiros new place in Pike Place.

While you're there make sure to climb the giant playground for genuine if-I-don't-make-this-leap-I-might-die kid feelings.

The Armory right next to that is full of good restaurants, Skillet is my favorite there.

Go to the Ballard Locks, walk around Green Lake, and hike the trails at Discovery Park and end up on the beach. Take a water taxi over to Alki and eat at Marination Makai. Do the University District farmer's market on Saturday or the Broadway farmer's market on Sunday. Have some beers at Chucks (Greenwood or Central District) and eat at whatever food truck is there. Have a nice dinner at Joule. Get a post-midnight burger at Dicks.

I don't know if you like beer, but I'm giving you brewery recommendations anyway:
Holy Mountain (Interbay)
Seapine (SoDo)
Cloudburst (Downtown)
Fremont (Fremont)
Reubens (Ballard)
Stoup (Ballard)
Urban Family (Magnolia)

Izayoi

Banned
Voter turnout only 38%.

Progressives and midterms/local elections, lol.
Fucking Christ.

Claim to be progressive, but in reality we just let all of the homeowners dictate policy.

Can't wait to never be able to live in the city, ever.

Fully expecting a Durkan/Hasegawa general election. This and the heat are making for a shit week so far.

I dropped off our ballots at the Green Lake drop box on Sunday night. Took me ten minutes. I will never understand why people don't vote.

Well, I can kinda understand why if you're a conservative in Seattle since you never have a person to vote for.

Man, I always forget the rollercoaster ride reading candidate statements in Seattle voter pamphlets is.

Like, thank you, guy with political experience of being class president of Queene Anne High School - in 1953 - , for your tirade on why Russia is being unfairly portrayed as a villain on the world stage and your compelling vision of the Seattle-Vladivostok sister city trade route.

Ummm, what? And that's reasonable by the standard some of the others who crawl out of the woodwork to put their word in set.

Oh, democracy. You're both wonderful and in many ways terrifying. Anyways, off to toss my ballots in.

Atenhaus

So, who here doesn't have AC?

I'm a dumbass and continually forget to buy a window unit after every big heatwave and invariably screw myself for the next one.

We've got two mobile AC units for our bedroom and our daughter's bedroom on the top floor of our brick house. Gets so damn hot.

Seeing results come in for the primary tonight... I'd been wavering between Moon and Farrel. Way things are now, wish I would've voted for Moon.

In any event we'll have our first female mayor in over 80 years!

Trouble

Banned
Part of me thinks that people who voted for candidates who won't be on the next ballot will break for Moon. The other part of me knows this election was pretty low turnout and Durkan will have a lot more money for ads.

Part of me thinks that people who voted for candidates who won't be on the next ballot will break for Moon. The other part of me knows this election was pretty low turnout and Durkan will have a lot more money for ads.

I'd like to think that, but I really have no clue. Durkan is gonna have a ton of money to spend in the general election.

The depressing thing is that 38% turnout isn't bad for an August primary.

cdyhybrid

Creighton gonna keep his job at the Port after all the corruption that's come to light recently.

And Prop 1 to provide access to the arts and science for kids is gonna fail too.

L-O-fucking-L.

Great job, Seattle.

HTupolev

That smoke onset is crazy. This last week was incredibly clear, and suddenly as I was driving home this afternoon, everything is insanely hazy. As the Sun got low on the horizon tonight, it became deep red before being swallowed by a layer of grey.

Panoramic view from Little Mountain in Mt Vernon at 8:30 today:

Lad6lsD.jpg

cdyhybrid

Wasn't there a property tax increase? Guess not.

In any event, I voted for it. I always vote for all the tax increases to benefit education, social services, etc.

I'm not even a homeowner and I voted for it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess there's the hope that everyone that voted for not-Durkan in the primary will end up voting for Moon or whoever her opponent is in November.

This has me very worried for the midterms next year.

Izayoi

Banned
Fuuuuck. I'm really pulling for Moon here. If only the Farrell voters would had listened! (I'm just poking fun, BTW.)

Keep in mind that Seattle != King County when it comes to that sales tax for the arts. Bellevue and Issaquah are also King County.

I think that it was problematic anyway, being a sales tax. If we keep piling on with regressive taxes it really will be impossible for low-middle income people to live here at some point. (To be clear, I voted YES, I'm just wary of continuing to jack up our sales tax which is already disproportionately hurting poor families here.)

God damn, we need progressive tax reform so badly in this state. Fuck Eastern Washington, and fuck Tim Eyman for making it virtually impossible. So frustrating.

Izayoi

Banned
Anyone who says they voted against Prop 1 because sales taxes are regressive is a dirty liar.
It is small increase, but an increase nonetheless.

The real conversation should be about tax reform at the state level... It's unconscionable that an income tax is illegal. Absolute insanity, IMO.

Taxes pay for shit and that's fine with me, but it would be nice if some of the temporary taxes that have placed upon us were actually temporary. Gas taxes I'm looking at you.

Also, give us a state income tax but lower the sales tax. My fear is that Olympia would just add an income tax without lowering sales tax.

Stinkles

Taxes pay for shit and that's fine with me, but it would be nice if some of the temporary taxes that have placed upon us were actually temporary. Gas taxes I'm looking at you.

Also, give us a state income tax but lower the sales tax. My fear is that Olympia would just add an income tax without lowering sales tax.

$7 to cross the 520 each way is brutal and I have no choice.

Top Bottom