• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

leroidys

In good news, it looks like Cary Moon is almost certainly in for the general election. She has widened her lead over Oliver again. Also, we're up to 39 percent turnout, the best in 20 years for an off-year election. Great stuff!

Just curious, is biking not an option?

I would bike/light rail/bus everywhere if I lived in the city.

Or at least, that's my plan once (haha, if) we have a place here.
Kind of, I'm commuting over Capitol Hill though so it's literally uphill both ways, and it's pretty damn steep.

DeVeAn

So, I posted a few pages back about cutting loses and going back to SoCal...luck changed and now the Wife and I have full time work. Excited to find a 1 bedroom and of course last place in CA sent me to collections after refusing to accept payments for breaking lease early for a job I had up here in Seattle.

Most places here will not accept me now fuck. I would just charge it but now a 3rd party agency has it and they are savages.

Anyway, trying to figure something out before I need to be out which is August 31. Any suggestions?

Izayoi

Banned
Kind of, I'm commuting over Capitol Hill though so it's literally uphill both ways, and it's pretty damn steep.
Ouch, I understand.

So, I posted a few pages back about cutting loses and going back to SoCal...luck changed and now the Wife and I have full time work. Excited to find a 1 bedroom and of course last place in CA sent me to collections after refusing to accept payments for breaking lease early for a job I had up here in Seattle.

Most places here will not accept me now fuck. I would just charge it but now a 3rd party agency has it and they are savages.

Anyway, trying to figure something out before I need to be out which is August 31. Any suggestions?
Craigslist. See if someone can rent you a room for a little while until you can get into an apartment.

It might seem scary, but it's really not that bad. Avoid South Seattle if possible, as it can get sketchy (and the air quality sucks, even when we're not being collectively suffocated by a blanket of smoke).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's too bad there's no other road or bridge to Bellevue.

I work near Woodinville so 90 or north around the lake would mean about at least another hour for childcare and commute. Not possible for me.

Bike lane opens soon

EDIT: Wait a second, you have those little microsoft buses too

Bus doesn't go to my office so then id have to wait for a second shuttle. Childcare situation and carpool also contribute.

Real life stuff. Nothing bad just complicated. And to dude saying move to Eastside lol you should meet my wife (even if you ignore the current housing market). My dream is to get a lake view house in Houghton a few blocks from Kirkland marina. That would make my co.mute about ten minutes up 85th.

But my wife just laughs at me. She in charge.

DeVeAn

Ouch, I understand.

Craigslist. See if someone can rent you a room for a little while until you can get into an apartment.

It might seem scary, but it's really not that bad. Avoid South Seattle if possible, as it can get sketchy (and the air quality sucks, even when we're not being collectively suffocated by a blanket of smoke).
Been looking into this. Lots of scams directing me to roomster😑

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
We should know by this evening if it will be Oliver or Moon facing Durkan in the general.

Moon would be OK in a pinch, but my god her ads make her seem like an out of touch Whole Foods shopper.

"I fixed Pioneer Square!" - newsflash, Pioneer square is still the sketchiest part of downtown and is in no way fixed.

Also, HALA needs to be completely overhauled so that it does what it says and it should be tied to transit commitments (not vague hopes) or add parking back in.

Right now the "low income suitable, high density home of the future" is a 750k condo with no parking that an Amazon couple with two cars and a motorbike move into.

Basically it was a gift to developers greased by the illusion of smart ethical planning and has been absolutely abused.

Trouble

Banned
^ Yeah I eyerolled pretty hard at the Pioneer Square bit. That said, a lot of Pioneer Square's sketchiness issues aren't design related.

We should know by this evening if it will be Oliver or Moon facing Durkan in the general.

Is it close? I thought Moon had a solid lead.

leroidys

Moon would be OK in a pinch, but my god her ads make her seem like an out of touch Whole Foods shopper.

"I fixed Pioneer Square!" - newsflash, Pioneer square is still the sketchiest part of downtown and is in no way fixed.

Also, HALA needs to be completely overhauled so that it does what it says and it should be tied to transit commitments (not vague hopes) or add parking back in.

Right now the "low income suitable, high density home of the future" is a 750k condo with no parking that an Amazon couple with two cars and a motorbike move into.

Basically it was a gift to developers greased by the illusion of smart ethical planning and has been absolutely abused.
Yeah I pretty much agree. Moons campaign seems like a lot of soft buzzwords and empty promises. I honestly wasn't crazy about any of the candidates.

Izayoi

Banned
Pioneer Square will always be sketch as fuck because of the decision to focus almost all major aid organizations there. DSHS, HMC PSQ, ICHS, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, both (not to count Oliver out at this point, but I'm not certain about her position on it) candidates have vowed to continue HALA, which would be fine if there were serious changes made.

Frankie is right, it will continue being a cheap way for developers to get what they want without any major changes. Moon definitely seems like she is more willing to make big changes to existing policy, especially regarding housing, than Durkan.

Durkan wants to keep on keeping on, from everything that she has said. Continuing policies which clearly ARE NOT WORKING is a bad call. We can't just hope for the best at this point. We need big change, and we need it fast.

That is the most spot on yet horribly depressing description I've read. You've cheered me up and made me sad at the same time.

Phthisis

I work near Woodinville so 90 or north around the lake would mean about at least another hour for childcare and commute. Not possible for me.

Bus doesn't go to my office so then id have to wait for a second shuttle. Childcare situation and carpool also contribute.

Real life stuff. Nothing bad just complicated. And to dude saying move to Eastside lol you should meet my wife (even if you ignore the current housing market). My dream is to get a lake view house in Houghton a few blocks from Kirkland marina. That would make my co.mute about ten minutes up 85th.

But my wife just laughs at me. She in charge.

I live right where Houghton, Rose Hill, and Bridle Trails all converge. Houghton is legit, my favorite part of Kirkland. Being able to walk to Metropolitan Market and PCC is so awesome.

Is it close? I thought Moon had a solid lead.

Late returns are skewing pretty solidly in Oliver's direction, and a lot of votes still being counted are coming from parts of the city where she has been doing well. She was within 1,000 votes last update. Still hoping she pulls it off!

Izayoi

Banned
Late returns are skewing pretty solidly in Oliver's direction, and a lot of votes still being counted are coming from parts of the city where she has been doing well. She was within 1,000 votes last update. Still hoping she pulls it off!
Where did you source these numbers? Everything I can find says Moon leads by 1664 votes, with 1803 contested ballots. I doubt that all 1803 ballots will come back, and even if they did, nearly all of them would need to be in favor of Oliver for her to make the general.

I just don't see it penciling out for Oliver on this one.

However, there will probably be a recount initiated by Oliver's campaign, so it will be a while before the results are truly final.

Trouble

Banned
I'm glad that Moon came out and supported the efforts of the Oliver campaign to make sure all votes get processed and counted correctly. If she wins the last thing she would need is to have antagonized Oliver supporters.

Where did you source these numbers? Everything I can find says Moon leads by 1664 votes, with 1803 contested ballots. I doubt that all 1803 ballots will come back, and even if they did, nearly all of them would need to be in favor of Oliver for her to make the general.

However, there will probably be a recount initiated by Oliver's campaign, so it will be a while before the results are truly final.

Yeah, Stranger article that came out a half hour says this:

It is all but certain Cary Moon and Jenny Durkan will face off in this fall's mayoral election.

In the latest ballot count, Moon, an urban planner, held onto second place with 1,362 more votes than lawyer and educator Nikkita Oliver. That's down from yesterday's 1,664, but, even with outstanding ballots, not likely narrow enough to push Oliver through to the general election.

There are very few ballots left to be counted, mostly consisting of votes with signature challenges. Oliver's campaign is currently "ballot chasing," helping supporters whose ballots haven't been counted because they didn't sign or the signature didn't match the one the county elections department has on file. However, there are just 1,721 outstanding signature challenges from within the city of Seattle and usually only about half of signature challenges are resolved, according to King County Elections. In total, the office expects count about 1,200 more city ballots.

Along with signature challenges, some alternative-format ballots and those mailed on August 1 but still arriving by mail have yet to be counted. As of yesterday, there were about 1,600 alternative-format ballots countywide, but most of those were included in today's ballot drop, according to King County Elections Chief of Staff Kendall Hodson. The elections office expects just 100 or 200 ballots will arrive by mail.

The 1,200 ballots the office expects to count are fewer than the gulf between Moon and Oliver. For Oliver to advance to the general election, more signatures would need to be resolved than usual and almost 100 percent of those ballots, plus other outstanding ballots, would have to go for Oliver.

Another thing that should be mentioned is that whoever loses the primary can't run as a write-in candidate in the general election. There's actually a rule preventing that from happening, read about it last week.

Apologies, I had misremembered. She got to within 1%, not 1,000 votes.

http://kuow.org/post/race-second-place-seattle-mayors-primary-tightens

Izayoi

Banned
Has the Times always paywalled their articles?

Clearing cookies gets around it, btw.
You get a certain number of articles a day IIRC. I've got a Sunday/Digital subscription. I think you can get a standalone digital subscription if you want.

cdyhybrid

I'd consider getting an online sub but their editorial board is so legitimately awful that I'd rather see the paper die than give them a penny.

Izayoi

Banned
Damn, you guys are hardcore. I disagree with their editorial board on a pretty regular basis, but the paper does great work overall I think. (FWIW, I also support The Stranger and KUOW with my newsbucks.)

cdyhybrid

Damn, you guys are hardcore. I disagree with their editorial board on a pretty regular basis, but the paper does great work overall I think. (FWIW, I also support The Stranger and KUOW with my newsbucks.)
I mean, I still read articles occasionally, I'm just not going to subscribe.

We had a TV news truck across from our house last night from 8pm until sometime after 11pm. Anyone happen to see some story with a reporter (white dude, blonde hair, white shirt, green tie) at the intersection of 68th and Weedin in Green Lake (right by I-5 and the 65th Park and Ride) last night? No channel markings that I could see and I passed out before the news started. I have no clue what they were doing, but I sure stared at them while I was watering my garden.

I stopped financially supporting KUOW after they began eliminating local programming ( Remember KUOW2 at 91.7 FM? Weekday with Steve Scherr? Cliff Mass?) and hacking together stories from other shows (Remember The World? Now we just get random stories from it inserted into the "drive time afternoon" programming block) and passing them off as part of their weekday news magazine. The stealthy attempt at buying up and killing off the local newsroom competition over at KPLU/KNKX also pissed me off. I still listen but I just don't feel right supporting them at the moment. Hopefully some day.

I still read The Stranger and check Slog daily, but holy shit they are a shell of what they once were.

Izayoi

Banned
I mean, I still read articles occasionally, I'm just not going to subscribe.
That's fair.

We had a TV news truck across from our house last night from 8pm until sometime after 11pm. Anyone happen to see some story with a reporter (white dude, blonde hair, white shirt, green tie) at the intersection of 68th and Weedin in Green Lake (right by I-5 and the 65th Park and Ride) last night? No channel markings that I could see and I passed out before the news started. I have no clue what they were doing, but I sure stared at them while I was watering my garden.

I stopped financially supporting KUOW after they began eliminating local programming ( Remember KUOW2 at 91.7 FM? Weekday with Steve Scherr? Cliff Mass?) and hacking together stories from other shows (Remember The World? Now we just get random stories from it inserted into the "drive time afternoon" programming block) and passing them off as part of their weekday news magazine. The stealthy attempt at buying up and killing off the local newsroom competition over at KPLU/KNKX also pissed me off. I still listen but I just don't feel right supporting them at the moment. Hopefully some day.

I still read The Stranger and check Slog daily, but holy shit they are a shell of what they once were.
Do you support any local media financially? Or national?

Man, KUOW has its flaws, but I generally like their stuff (I use the app mostly so I still have access to KUOW2). I also listen to KPLU, but not often enough to justify support (mainly when KUOW has something long-form on that I listened to earlier in the day).

I agree trying to buy out KPLU on the D/L was kinda shitty, but at least they owned up to it after the fact.

The Stranger has definitely declined over the past few years...

I guess I just have a hard time being so down about it when the alternative is the batshit local conservative talk radio stuff or the local Fox affiliate. Given those, NPR and even The Seattle Times shine bright in comparison.

Orgen

Hey Seattle GAF! I'll try again seeing that my last post when unnoticed :D

I'll be in Seattle from the 3rd of September to the 6th or 7th. I'd like to see Rainier National Park, Olympic and St. Helen if possible. Could I fit both Rainier and St. Helen in a 1day trip or is it too much? If I could only choose one from the three, which one would you recommend?

I'm also eyeing places in Airbnb. How are the downtown and first hill parts of the city? Would you recommend other places to spend the night?

I'm also a food lover, what places should I not miss while I'm there? (and the dishes!) And for last, any good place to take pictures of sunsets, landscapes or the skyline?

Many thanks!

leroidys

Hey Seattle GAF! I'll try again seeing that my last post when unnoticed :D

I'll be in Seattle from the 3rd of September to the 6th or 7th. I'd like to see Rainier National Park, Olympic and St. Helen if possible. Could I fit both Rainier and St. Helen in a 1day trip or is it too much? If I could only choose one from the three, which one would you recommend?

I'm also eyeing places in Airbnb. How are the downtown and first hill parts of the city? Would you recommend other places to spend the night?

I'm also a food lover, what places should I not miss while I'm there? (and the dishes!) And for last, any good place to take pictures of sunsets, landscapes or the skyline?

Many thanks!
1) too much for 1 day
2) shitty. Check out Capitol Hill, Mountlake, Fremont, Ballard, Columbia city, Wallingford, U district, etc etc first.
3 and 4 are yelp/guidebook fodder, I'll leave it to them.

cdyhybrid

So who's going to be the next mayor of Seattle? I live outside the city limits and have no dog in the fight so I'm just curious what's going to happen.

Durkan has the support of the current mayor and the money. She didn't stomp all over the primary though, so there's hope that everyone that voted for someone other than her will vote for Moon.

Orgen

1) too much for 1 day
2) shitty. Check out Capitol Hill, Mountlake, Fremont, Ballard, Columbia city, Wallingford, U district, etc etc first.
3 and 4 are yelp/guidebook fodder, I'll leave it to them.

Thanks for your answers! So which one would you choose for a 1 day trip? Rainier, St. Helen or Olympic?

Izayoi

Banned
So who's going to be the next mayor of Seattle? I live outside the city limits and have no dog in the fight so I'm just curious what's going to happen.
I'm really pulling for Moon.

However, Durkan has the support of the folks who want to maintain the status quo (i.e., white home owners in Medina, Wallingford, and Queen Anne) and, subsequently, a fuckload of money.

Moon, however, has potentially a very fired up opposition behind her who want real change in the way things are done around here. Oliver has already stated she would endorse Moon, and it's likely that Farrell will endorse moon as well. Assuming everyone who voted for Moon, Oliver, and Farrell in the primary votes for Moon in the general, she likely has a very good shot at it.

But then you have to remember that people who lined up behind Hasegawa and McGinn will likely vote for Durkan.

It's going to be close.

Thanks for your answers! So which one would you choose for a 1 day trip? Rainier, St. Helen or Olympic?
I'm partial to Mount St. Helens. Rainier is gorgeous as well, but I'm a sucker for the history of the volcano. EDIT: However, you're going to find that it's a LONG drive to get to St. Helens, I had not realized how far away it was... A three hour drive one-way from Seattle.

Honestly, the Olympics are just too far away for a day trip from Seattle. Unless you leave at like 4AM you won't get to spend any real time in the park.

Save the Olympics and St. Helens for a trip when you have more time.

Rainier is the only one really close enough to enjoy in the time you have.

Top Bottom