• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

It's too bad there's no other road or bridge to Bellevue.

I just crossed the Tacoma Narrows Bridge last night. If you don't cross those bridges often, pay-by-mail is the way to go. GTG Pass $5, Toll Both $6, PBM $7. I'd rather pay $7 instead of waiting at a toll booth, imho.

Man, McGinn got hammered. Even Hasegawa fared better than him.

Didn't McGinn want to put bicycle lanes all over Seattle? For some reason that I can't remember, I never really cared for McGinn.

522 over the top is actually not bad. Used to drive from my gf's house in Shoreline to my place in Kirkland in the mornings, and it was never out of hand. Slower, but free.

The drive home is much worse. I'm not sure what laws of math allow that to be the case, but it pretty much always is.

From The Stranger...

Cary Moon, who came in second to Jenny Durkan after Tuesday night's primary returns, widened her lead over Nikkita Oliver today, according to a second batch of returns released by King County.

Moon, an urban planner, has 16,168, or 15.57 percent, of votes counted as of this afternoon, up from 15.56 percent last night. Activist and attorney Oliver has 13.81 percent of votes. Former U.S. Attorney Jenny Durkan continues to lead the mayoral primary with 32,376 votes, or 31.52 percent.

King County has tallied about 104,635 ballots, about 22.57 percent of registered voters. The county originally projected a 38 percent turnout.

In a statement, Moon did not claim victory yet. "As an engineer, I want to make sure we have our facts right, and as a coalition builder I respect the positions of my fellow candidates," she said. "It's going to take all of us working together to ensure our city's future is not sold to the highest bidder. Let's see what tomorrow's counts show us."

Oliver did not immediately respond to request for comment.

In the competitive race for City Council Position 8, primary night runner-up Jon Grant maintained a 1 percent lead over Sara Nelson, a good sign that he'll advance to the general.

Today's results included a portion of morning drop box returns, but did not include any ballots picked up at the 8 pm deadline, according to county officials. It also didn't include snail mail votes received by elections workers this morning.

"We should have a really good picture Thursday or Friday," said a spokesperson for the department.

The smoke is so gross. It's like walking around in an ashtray.

Yep. My in-laws are here from Omaha and were hoping to see the mountain. Wonder if it will clear before the Blue Angels start flying?

Heading to Yakima on Friday for berry picking and breweries, hopefully it's clear over there.

jb1234

Yep. My in-laws are here from Omaha and were hoping to see the mountain. Wonder if it will clear before the Blue Angels start flying?

Heading to Yakima on Friday for berry picking and breweries, hopefully it's clear over there.

It's worse in Eastern Washington, actually. Komo claims that it should waft away on the weekend. Hopefully in time for the show (and our lungs).

It's worse in Eastern Washington, actually. Komo claims that it should waft away on the weekend. Hopefully in time for the show (and our lungs).

I hope so. My buddy lives in Seward Park so we go to his house every Seafair Saturday to get buzzed by the Angels in his backyard.

I love the Blue Angels. I don't get all the people who complain every year about them. I'm not a big "USA USA USA!" type dude but they rule.

cdyhybrid

Anyone having sound issues with Comcast? I have no audio on any channel. Already checked the audio settings in the on-screen menu and already verified that my TV is working (it emits sound when I use my game consoles).

Tried restarting the cable box but no dice. Been like this for two days.

Dany

Banned
Ya'll. I'm happy I work this weekend to get away from this horrible weather.

Also. Thinking of gioing to whatever show is happening at WaMu this year. Who went last year and liked it?

Atenhaus

Anyone having sound issues with Comcast? I have no audio on any channel. Already checked the audio settings in the on-screen menu and already verified that my TV is working (it emits sound when I use my game consoles).

Tried restarting the cable box but no dice. Been like this for two days.

Tacoma here. I've been having near constant DNS issues over the past day and a half. Dunno what's up.

Izayoi

Banned
SUPER HAPPY about Moon most likely advancing to the general election (wary of counting my chickens before they hatch, but I'm optimistic).

$7 to cross the 520 each way is brutal and I have no choice.
Oh come on. I take the fucking bus, you know? You don't see me bitching about traffic. You can go around.

Nobody in a car has a right to complain. You are voluntarily making it worse for everyone else on the road.

When your commute to work is two hours one way, maybe then you can complain (this was my commute for the last 5 months).

SUPER HAPPY about Moon most likely advancing to the general election (wary of counting my chickens before they hatch, but I'm optimistic).

Oh come on. I take the fucking bus, you know? You don't see me bitching about traffic. You can go around.

Nobody in a car has a right to complain. You are voluntarily making it worse for everyone else on the road.

When your commute to work is two hours one way, maybe then you can complain (this was my commute for the last 5 months).

If people are complaining about being in traffic and their job is 2+ hours away. Then they need to find a way to live closer to work or find a job closer to their house.

I hope so. My buddy lives in Seward Park so we go to his house every Seafair Saturday to get buzzed by the Angels in his backyard.

I love the Blue Angels. I don't get all the people who complain every year about them. I'm not a big "USA USA USA!" type dude but they rule.

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...ilitary-excess-pollution-and-traumatized-pets

I was wondering when the Blue Angels hate machine would start this year. Looks like they're a bit late.

watershed

Banned
I went out early this morning even with the smoke and red sun thinking I might be able to beat the heat. It was awful. Muggy and hot. The smoke made me feel like I was walking around Beijing.

Izayoi

Banned
If people are complaining about being in traffic and their job is 2+ hours away. Then they need to find a way to live closer to work or find a job closer to their house.
That's awfully tone-deaf of you. Just because you can afford to live where you work doesn't mean that everyone can. The jobs are in Seattle, it's just that most of them pay jack shit compared to the cost of living.

My wife and I can theoretically afford to live within city limits, but not if we ever want to save enough to actually buy a place.

But sure, people just gotta hike up those bootstraps. C'mon man.

leroidys

That's awfully tone-deaf of you. Just because you can afford to live where you work doesn't mean that everyone can. The jobs are in Seattle, it's just that most of them pay jack shit compared to the cost of living.

My wife and I can theoretically afford to live within city limits, but not if we ever want to save enough to actually buy a place.

Was going to post something similar. A "normal" commute is like 1.5 hours now.

The Blue Angels hatred has been a thing for at least five or six years now. Mostly people on Capitol Hill or in Central who hate the noise and then made it a political thing.

jb1234

The Blue Angels hatred has been a thing for at least five or six years now. Mostly people on Capitol Hill or in Central who hate the noise and then made it a political thing.

Being Seattle, I figured people would bitch more about the waste of fuel, haha.

(I'm in Capitol Hill and I kinda like the noise when they zip on by. Always catches me off guard.)

Being Seattle, I figured people would bitch more about the waste of fuel, haha.

(I'm in Capitol Hill and I kinda like the noise when they zip on by. Always catches me off guard.)

Noise pollutuion, air pollution, tax dollars, pro military sentiment, etc.

I grew up here and have always loved SeaFair and watching the Blue Angels. I'm not a fan of the military industrial complex, but I still love those blue fighters jets being loud and doing cool stunts. It's fun. [shrug]

jb1234

Noise pollutuion, air pollution, tax dollars, pro military sentiment, etc.

I grew up here and have always loved SeaFair and watching the Blue Angels. I'm not a fan of the military industrial complex, but I still love those blue fighters jets being loud and doing cool stunts. It's fun. [shrug]

People will complain about anything, I guess. They're good fun! Unfortuntely, the latest projections seem to show that the smoke is going to be around for quite some time to come. :(

It woke me up.

Was it at a good hour, at least?

KRaZyAmmo

I almost went through the whole summer without turning on my ac fan. boy was I stupid not to turn it on. (it's on now and helping me cope with the heat)

I'd rather be tone deaf than complain about traffic.

My work is less than 10 minutes from my home. I transferred from a location that was 1 hour away. I don't care if people complain. It's a simple solution, look for something close. Or move closer to your work.

leroidys

My work is less than 10 minutes from my home. I transferred from a location that was 1 hour away. I don't care if people complain. It's a simple solution, look for something close. Or move closer to your work.
I live less than 3 miles from my job, and the commute is at best 45 minutes.

Tone deaf is one thing, proudly ignorant is another.

Izayoi

Banned
Was going to post something similar. A "normal" commute is like 1.5 hours now.
Yeah. I am lucky enough (now, anyway) to start at 6AM, but even at 5:30AM the traffic on 405 is already getting bad. My new commute (from northeast King County) is down to 50-60m one-way, down from nearly 2 hours one-way when I was starting at 10AM. This is the from the very same location, mind you.

Bruh, what? Did you actually read anything I wrote? My wife and I make great money (a fair bit more than the median household income for two in Seattle) and living 10 minutes from where we work (I'm downtown, she's at Swedish on Cherry Hill) would essentially prevent us from ever saving enough to actually buy a place.

We are forced to live outside of the city in order to escape being condemned to a life of renting. I can't imagine the hardship that people who are making median income (or, god forbid, less than that) are experiencing. It's a miracle that any middle income person can live in the city, to be frank.

The margins for those at minimum wage or just a little higher must be razor thin, even if they aren't living within city limits. To hand-wave it away like you are is brazenly ignorant of the struggles that most people face. You're exactly the type of person we don't need, or want, in this city.

Well what a coincidence; I just opened an Artissan Bootstrappery in Georgetown called bo͞otte.
:lol

Your cheapest model is $500, I presume?

Trouble

Banned
Man, I'm glad I bought my place in Cap Hill 10 years ago. I haven't worked more then 2 miles from work in 7 years (currently 1.5). It has ruined me for commuting, though. There's no way I could ever go back to commuting by car without turning into a white-hot seething ball of rage.

When I moved out here from the D.C. area we used to joke about how people in Seattle thought traffic was bad here. Now it's actually pretty bad (D.C. is still worse though).

Izayoi

Banned
In good news, it looks like Cary Moon is almost certainly in for the general election. She has widened her lead over Oliver again. Also, we're up to 39 percent turnout, the best in 20 years for an off-year election. Great stuff!

About a mile of it is walking.
Just curious, is biking not an option?

I would bike/light rail/bus everywhere if I lived in the city.

Or at least, that's my plan once (haha, if) we have a place here.

Top Bottom