• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second Destiny Beta Thread of 'SMiLE! The Beta's back up! Welcome Everyone!'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
I don't understand, can't I play the story missions by myself? I want to enjoy them on my lonesome but keep seeing others pop in out of nowhere and start killing all the enemies for me...kind of kills it...

Story missions get instanced when you get to the point where they don't allow respawns.

X-Frame

Looks like I hit the ceiling for XP gained for my Titan. Might as well start a new class now .. Hunter or Warlock ... hmm.

Deku Tree

So if I buy Destiny on PS3, then will I be able to use my same character in Destiny 2 on PS4 later on? Or will I have to start from the beginning on PS4?

broony

I don't understand, can't I play the story missions by myself? I want to enjoy them on my lonesome but keep seeing others pop in out of nowhere and start killing all the enemies for me...kind of kills it...
Yeah this is one of my complaints. They can only get in your game on the way to the story mission finale, but I have had it a few times when levelling a new character that someone tags along and wipes everyone out before I get a chance to fight Once you get in the 'respawns restricted' area they drop out but that can be only like 30% of the mission by yourself.

That relies on the tank person being an absolute idiot though. They can just simply stay out of the turret's line of fire and dominate everything else. Also you're completely immobile so you're probably going to get sniped near immediately when playing chicken with some tank. The turrets should be an effective counter but they're really not.
I use them all the time. Works fine. They're multiple counters. People are just not using them.

Tekku

After a lot of gun experimentation I finally understood what the Impact stat does. At first I thought it was a damage multiplier for shots that were fired in quick succession. But what it actually does is to interrupt enemy actions. The higher the Impact the higher the chance is that they will be pushed back and interrupted by the shot.

I play a Titan so I'll benefit a great deal from Handcannons when I want to get close to the enemy with my melee abilities. It drastically reduces the risk for when you run towards a single enemy.

SJS

So if I buy Destiny on PS3, then will I be able to use my same character in Destiny 2 on PS4 later on? Or will I have to start from the beginning on PS4?

That's pure speculation. Don't count on it, but personally, I would think it'd be possible because of Bungie's aspiration to let your character be used across games; they probably won't keep developing for 360 / PS3, so it'd only make sense to let the people on those platforms do that.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I would be pissed too! You probably get so much heavy weapon armor with that.

I know I would miss it.

Oh god, it so amazingly helpful during the spider mech fight in the strike mission.

I just have to keep in mind to reserve a shot or three so I can shoot at ammo drops in case I'm running low.

Stoze

I can't really pass on full judgement on the loot game until we get to hit level 20. It does seem a bit mundane now, but that's because we only have access to greens that aren't past level 9. I do really like the upgrade system and how guns have their own skill trees though, really cool idea.

Bungie designed the game so you cap out at 20 very early. This is so people can have an easier time playing with each other, and to make it all about that sweet level 20 loot. Subclasses and skill trees will come into play as well. The game is not out yet but I think that's a good decision as well; levels are arbitrary, it's the loot, upgrades, and skills that matter.

You are so incorrect that it's laughable. Judging PvP off of 73 kills and 50 deaths worth of playtime is silly.

ARs suffer from recoil and range limitation outside of immediate CQC, where shotgun secondaries are blatantly dominant. A good Scout Rifle user can dominate all ranges with no damage reduction and consistently land shots at the head because of how their low ROF defeats any need for recoil compensation.

A good 85% of PvP "balance complaints" in these threads warrant nothing more than a "get better" and Kermit sipping tea JPEG. Good for you bringing up his stats.

People saying you should just roll over and die if you don't have an AR make me laugh tears of joy as I pop heads with one of the lowest ROF scout rifles in the game.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah this is one of my complaints. They can only get in your game on the way to the story mission finale, but I have had it a few times when levelling a new character that someone tags along and wipes everyone out before I get a chance to fight Once you get in the 'respawns restricted' area they drop out but that can be only like 30% of the mission by yourself.

The zones are huge enough that I never thought this was an issue.

In fact, I thought it was fucking amazing to see a three-man fireteam squad in the distance taking on a whole different mission, only to temporarily join forces once a big public event kicked off.

It makes the world actually feel alive. Enemies respawn within seconds and other players are off doing their own thing, it's very rare for them to be hunting the same objectives as you are.

Chaostar

Is it just me, or PSN is on maintenance again?

Seriously, Sony. Fix that shit.

I'm logged into psn and can see friends and trophies etc but when I try to play Destiny it's says it can't connect to PSN :(

Edit: nevermind, it worked after a restart of ps4. You'd think this was a beta or something ;P

SJS

So whats this Iron Banner thing thats supposed to be for today?

It's like a version of PvP with enhanced loot and new maps.

Also (thanks SomeOneInAHat for the tip), the big locked door in the Tower opens, and you can find a Dead Ghost and a special items dealer there.

i just did the story mission where you go after the relay

sweet jesus that last section was intense
im definately getting Halo vibes from this game

Steel

Banned
Huh. First game I had where absolutely everyone on the other team quit. Our team had 2 tanks destroying everyone, then they just gave up.

Orayn

Starting to make my official wish list of changes for the release version.
UI/OPTIONS
  • Audio cues for when your melee and grenade abilities are ready. Doesn't need to be anything dramatic, just some simple ping/chirp.
  • Option to see the progress toward skills, levels, and weapon upgrades in actual XP numbers, not just how much of the circle/bar is full.
  • Option to adjust incoming voice volume.
  • Being able to tune the volume needed for voice activation would also be nice.
  • Full control customization, you're almost there already.
  • Short of that, a control scheme that puts sprint on L1 and crouch on L3. PLEASE.
  • Option to go directly to tower, next story mission, or seamlessly back into explorable mode from missions.
  • Popups that track your progress towards finishing Bounties would be nice.
  • Gear level requirements should still be shown on stuff you can equip. Makes it easier to compare and remember which level goes with which attack/defense value.
BALANCE/TUNING
  • Warlock and Titan double jumps feel a bit too similar once you figure out how Warlock's actually works.
  • Remove the complete ammo loss for switching special weapons in PvE.
  • Continuing from previous, consider removing weapon switching from inventory in PvP instead? I assume PvP is the primary reason why it's there.
  • Special Weapons in general need higher max ammo and/or much more frequent ammo drops. It's too easy to run completely dry before crucial moments.
  • Auto Rifles seem to be very powerful in PvP compared to other primary weapon classes.
  • PvP matches drag on forever if one team has some people leave and the other team just spends the whole time twiddling their thumbs and hunting down the few who remain.
  • Hand Cannons just feel like worse Scout Rifles in many respects. They need another buff somewhere, maybe reload speed and/or hip-fire accuracy?
  • Major adjustments to vehicle power in PvP, they're completely dominant as-is. More fragile? Less offensive power? Make them auto-despawn after a while?
  • Devil Walker boss fight in Devil's Lair is significantly harder than Sepiks Prime, which is probably bad. Too many one-shot kills with not a lot of forewarning. I know you need to take down the legs, but that's really hard with just three people even with some decent coordination.
  • Increase rewards for missions in Explore mode. Currently they're far worse than just farming an area or waiting for public events.
  • Make more bounties available, maybe have separate limits for how many PvE and PvP ones you can take at any given time.
I wish I could submit this in a way that someone from Bungie would have a high likelihood of actually reading it. Their forums have a feedback section, but it's a mosh pit of people who are literally 10-14 years old.

In fact, I thought it was fucking amazing to see a three-man fireteam squad in the distance taking on a whole different mission, only to temporarily join forces once a big public event kicked off.

It makes the world actually feel alive. Enemies respawn within seconds and other players are off doing their own thing, it's very rare for them to be hunting the same objectives as you are.

Yeah. I really dig it. Reminds me of Red Dead but better. I wonder if there will be areas/zones where players can attack each other in the open world?

Namikaze1

Man, I remember in the Alpha having an auto rifle with 106 Attack. The best I got has a 62 Attack rating. I want my old rifle back! :'(

broony

I didn't notice it when playing a high level character, but starting off as new guy I saw it quite a few times. I love that there are other people in the world and you dynamicly flow into and out of each other's experience, but I think the closed off respawn restricted areas need to be bigger and cover more of the story mission's encounters. Have people tag along for the first 30% then leave me to play and kill everything I want.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
You are so incorrect that it's laughable. Judging PvP off of 73 kills and 50 deaths worth of playtime is silly.
Read this part again;
Tiemen said:
Just gonna plonk down my only really major complaints based on my playtime with the Alpha and Beta

ARs suffer from recoil and range limitation outside of immediate CQC, where shotgun secondaries are blatantly dominant. A good Scout Rifle user can dominate all ranges with no damage reduction and consistently land shots at the head because of how their low ROF defeats any need for recoil compensation.
A 'good' Scout Rifle user will be outclassed by a 'decent' Auto Rifle user in short and mid range engagements, with Scout Rifle only really edging it out at longer ranges. I don't know if you've noticed, but the maps we're playing on have very little practical long engagement lines. Only Last Light really has long range engagements, but utilizing them to the fullest means putting yourself in the line of fire for vehicles, which is suicide. And at that range, why not use a sniper instead?

And just to add; I don't think Scout Rifles need a massive buff, I just think that, as it stand right now with these weapons and these maps, the Auto Rifle is slightly too dominant.

Danis

Neo Member
Question about the Iron Banner event at 2PM and 7PM today

1. Does anyone know if the Cloaks and Sashes will be available again?

2. What did you need to do to get them last time the Iron Banner was going on? Besides being 2000 Glimmer, what else?

Thanks to anyone who replies...

dyergram

Starting to make my official wish list of changes for the release version.
UI/OPTIONS
  • Audio cues for when your melee and grenade abilities are ready.

• This is a great idea. I find it weird that you still have to wait for cool downs when you respawn.

Question about the Iron Banner event at 2PM and 7PM today

1. Does anyone know if the Cloaks and Sashes will be available again?

2. What did you need to do to get them last time the Iron Banner was going on? Besides being 2000 Glimmer, what else?

Thanks to anyone who replies...
They should be there. You have to win at least 4 matches in Iron.

Kyoufu

Lol how the fuck can anybody possibly answer that?

Actually, Bungie intends on you using the same characters for the next 10 years.

“Let’s say Destiny 2 [and] Destiny 3 are out, and we have new players joining the fun,” Wolfson says. “[They] want to play those new games alongside those who have been playing Destiny from the beginning. [We want to ensure] they won’t feel like they’re four years behind. And then, if they want to, they’ll be able to go back and pick up the old content on their same character.”
“So we’ve done a lot of planning for how that’s going to work, to not make people feel like they have years worth of leveling up to do.”

Launch Destiny, press X to start, "Unable to connect to PSN."

Did a full restart, still can't get on. My friends list (XMB) works if I open it up but the friend icon doesn't actually show the number next to it.

Curses.

What's the best site to keep an eye on for beta news? Special events, etc. Bungie twitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom