• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second Destiny Beta Thread of 'SMiLE! The Beta's back up! Welcome Everyone!'

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinUK86

Lol, just figured out how to dance...

PARTY TIME!

h0sCIw4XOgCn

SJS

[*]Auto Rifles completely outlcass other primary weapon categories in PvP.

You have a combined 79 kills and 157 deaths across your characters. I mean, come on. You should be learning to survive or at least justifying this claim with solid game analysis before criticizing the game.

Gaz_RB

Launch Destiny, press X to start, "Unable to connect to PSN."

Did a full restart, still can't get on. My friends list (XMB) works if I open it up but the friend icon doesn't actually show the number next to it.

Curses.

What's the best site to keep an eye on for beta news? Special events, etc. Bungie twitter?

Here!

You have a combined 79 kills and 157 deaths across your characters. I mean, come on. You should be learning to survive or at least justifying this claim with solid game analysis before criticizing the game.

This seems to to be a trend in this thread actually.

"Just played my first PvP match. Tank is OP."

Orayn

I'm just saying this based on seeing people use almost nothing else in the PvP I've played so far. Would you feel better if I qualified it by saying that they seem dominant?

Orayn

Alright, alright, I will cross out most/all of the PvP comments in my wishlist and go play a few hours of PvP right now to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. I admit those were probably the most superficial and least informed parts of it.

Feel free to invite me, PSN is OraynBro.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

lol damn

and the semi auto puts boots to asses in PVP. The full auto is a strong #2 and I'll always have it in my inventory, but if your headshot game is on point there's nothing better imo

also, interceptors really ain't shit. don't understand the struggle

So does anyone have a name for the piece of music played when you first meet the Speaker? Also plays when you're idle on the main menu.

I played all of Iron Banner with a scout rifle and my K/D ratio was 1.17 or better. Highest was 7.5 on Rusted Lands. And while uncommon, I was able to beat out an auto rifle user in close range (I would lose about half the time).

Big thank you to Heaven-Assassin for showing me the Way of the Scout.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Everybody else is doing it, so here are impressions:

Right off the bat, I'll say it's good. I know many people feel differently, but the game gives me serious Halo vibes. The familiar combat loop is there, and it again focuses on the triangle of guns, grenades and melee. Strikes change this up a bit by including bosses. I feel they're a tad bullet spongey but still pretty fun to fight nonetheless. The class abilities are there but they're not as defined with strengths and weaknesses as I had hoped. This is first and foremost an FPS; don't expect MMO-style fights with each player serving a unique role. Still, firefights are interesting. The AI is responsive and fun to combat. Environments are purposefully designed and allow proper positioning before engaging.

Speaking of environments, this is where my biggest issue with Destiny stands. While fighting on them is fun, they feel restrictive in terms of exploration. I've often been met with "turn back now" zones or just straight up invisible walls/kill zones. There are a handful of nicely hidden secrets but on the whole, I don't feel as free when roaming around as I wanted. Constantly respawning Fallen make exploration more of a chore as well. Maybe it's just because it's in beta but I'm really disappointed with that so far. I want to explore this seemingly vast and open world.

The character customization is simple, but pretty solid. Gear is varied and generally cool looking. Emblems and armor colors are standard but a nice touch nonetheless. I'm guessing crafting is going to be in the full game. Looking forward to seeing its depth. I like the merchant system, though I feel glimmer drops should be more frequent.

Onto story...I'm somewhat mixed. I like the world so far, I really do, but I'm just not getting enough of it. Again, this may be due to just having played a beta, but the game desperately needs more fleshing out. As I take it, the player is a formerly dead person resurrected to fight for the Traveler against something called the darkness. I have no idea who or what the Traveler or what the Darkness is, or why I should even care about them. What exactly happened to Earth? Who are the Fallen and why do they want to murder me? How the hell did Peter Dinklage bot get down to Earth and revive me with space magic? I know Bungie likes subtle storytelling but I need more.

I've voiced my opinions on PvP here before but I really don't care for it at all. There's the obvious comparison to be made to Halo, and I'll avoid it and look at Destiny as its own thing. It allows players to bring in their own character, weapons and gear; imo this is a blessing and a curse. I like seeing my dude donging other dudes, but there's a glaring issue with this. I have no idea what my enemies are capable of. Do they have a shotgun that can one-shot me? Or is their super up, meaning I can't sit in one place for more than 3 seconds without worrying about a Titan dropping the D on me or a Hunter/Warlock instagibbing me from 20 feet away? In the case of the Iron Banner, maybe it's just a level 4 scrub who owns nothing but a 20 atk pea shooter. I want equal starts. I want to know if my enemy has their instakill ability just sitting in their back pocket. I want predictability. Destiny PvP gives me none of these things, and leaves me with an inconsistent mess. Vehicles are incredibly strong, leaving very little counterplay if one's super isn't up. The maps are solid enough and direct the flow of combat well. The announcer needs some work. The modes are standard fare, from what we've seen. Matchmaking is poor; many games result in lopsided blowouts.

And I guess I'll end with miscellaneous stuff. The OST is great as always. Marty is still the GOAT. UI is solid. Minor issue with HUD (though this is a PS4 specific issue) - PSN notifications pop up right where the radar is, blocking it out for a few seconds. I don't like losing all my special ammo when changing weapons, especially in PvP. The sparrow is a fun idea. Traveling between worlds takes way too long; I wish I could choose where I went next from where I currently was, rather than having to go back into orbit.

In the end, what I've played has been really solid, especially PvE. It's no Halo, but Bungie did a great job with their idea of a open world FPS. I'll definitely be there in the fall. Hopefully the game has a significant amount of content.

I officially suck in PvP. Like I cannot break 1000 points in a match. Even if I get the drop on someone, he or she winds up killing me. Makes me too tense, man! I'm too spazzy...

my sweet new ride, with infinite ammo
Destiny%2520Beta_20140720134009.jpg

until it went boom with me on it ;_;

Got that ride also
10547811_347283382086831_1977082998749890314_o.jpg

10511452_347276438754192_7069560559384135583_o.jpg

10562506_347276345420868_2941700304793081396_o.jpg

Rode that bad boy all the way to where the spider tank public event happened and the space shit blew it up, the spider tank couldnt even hit me, was too fast.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
If the servers are this bad during a fucking beta, I expect a full simcity/diablo 3 situation at release. This makes me have such low hopes I will actually be able to play the game on release due to servers. Always online is great!

Deku Tree

Actually, Bungie intends on you using the same characters for the next 10 years.

Yeah I was really wondering if Bungie had ever said anything more than the paragraph that you quoted. I am guessing that they didn't because then they'd be tied down to trying to stick to what they said... but it's good to know that they are trying to plan for longevity of your character... maybe I should just buy a PS4 before Destiny comes out...

I'm pretty sure the only balance issue with vehicles is that aside from a sniper rifle headshot, all the other means of dealing with them in terms of player abilities are stuck on timers. I'm talking grenades, supers, and heavy weapons. If you got a grenade when you respawned like Halo, they wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem because players would be lobbing them out there every time. Even if it didn't kill it would make the driver move which opens up more angles for additional damage.

Maybe the game should have some non-space magic grenades to use, at least 1 on spawn, and some more available around the map. Also, wha happen to vehicle jacking Bungie?

Laekon

I feel the instance system they are using is pretty bad. I've ended up all alone in both the Tower and over world more times then I've been in both locales with other people. I've not completed a single over world event because there has never been enough people or people of the right level to finish it.

As a single player game I'm really not seeing what everyone is so hyped up for. There is nothing new or exciting to me. The missions are basic, boss are just bullet sponges, and the hub lacks any sense of life. I know it is only beta but it also seems this game is going to run into the same problems other persistent world games do with lack of content at high level, balance issues, lack of replayibility, and ability to find groups for specific content a few months after release. It's a well made game but I just don't see why people are saying its a great game.

Jafku

So which faction are you guys going to join in the full game? For those of you that don't know what i'm talking about, there are different groups that you can join, and these groups are located throughout the tower. The ones I remember are: Dead Orbit, Vanguard, Mew Monarch?, Future War Cult. You can buy weapons, armor, and emblems through these faction dealers. Im leaning towards Dead Orbit myself. How about you guys?

Namikaze1

Tank is OP as fuck. My strategy for taking them out involves waiting for a teammate to distract the thing before dashing like mad towards the turret. It works 60% of the time, every time.

Gammacide

Boo PSN. Booooooo.
OK, so it's not just me. Phew. I am desperately loving this glorified demo and am SO glad I decided to pre-order because this is going to be such a great time come September. Only wish it could come sooner.

That said, these errors are seriously stomping on my buzz. I thought it wasn't supposed to go down til tomorrow??

SJS

OH HEY, I DIDN'T READ LOL, BETTER INSULT THIS TIEMEN GUY

A 'good' Scout Rifle user will be outclassed by a 'decent' Auto Rifle user in short and mid range engagements, with Scout Rifle only really edging it out at longer ranges. I don't know if you've noticed, but the maps we're playing on have very little practical long engagement lines. Only Last Light really has long range engagements, but utilizing them to the fullest means putting yourself in the line of fire for vehicles, which is suicide. And at that range, why not use a sniper instead?

In a map with linear design (which Destiny unfortuantely has), it is extraordinarily easy to keep your distance and maximize cover. This puts automatic rifle users in a position where they cannot afford to miss headshots (because they can't "spray" during the mutual predictive failures that don't exist in this game), which AR users generally cannot pull off with consistency because of their gun's recoil.

An AR user *must* be within distance, but any smart player will prevent that from happening. And even if that is the case, a skilled Scout Rifle user will not necessarily be losing out by allowing an AR user in distance, because recoil management, cover management, and headshot acquisition are easy for the Scout Rifle user, particularly when their opponent is easily predicted and forced into playing linearly.

Long range engagement potential is not the reason why Scout Rifles are currently dominant amongst people who know what they're doing, but it's certainly a plus. There are great sightlines on the Moon map that put AR users at an extraordinary disadvantage.

To answer your question about sniping, sniping will always put you in a situation where you are not versatile and must be wholly and completely predictive of your opponent. A failure to headshot someone immediately, whether due to them jumping, timing their movements unusually, etc. can immediately put you in a life threatening situation; a flank will, as well. This is not the case with Scout Rifles, which are semi-automatic weapons with easily managed aim, easily negotiable zoom, and high ammo counts gained immediately off respawn. By using a Scout Rifle instead of a sniper rifle, you acquire similar benefits for distance encounters while risking less defensively.

I hope that illustrates a better picture of what Scout Rifles are actually like for you.

I dont even know what to do with all this glimmer, already bought ships and jet bikes for all my characters.
10483084_347601818721654_3861097982978583928_o.jpg

Don't even see anything else worth buying in the shops.

dyergram

Played some crucible today for the first time since the alpha. I can't understand why some members of the press don't like the multiplayer in this it seems really solid so far also head shot knife through may be the most satisfying way to murder somebody in a game for a while.

bombshell

Hmm, B and C on the moon map should be moved further inside their respective buildings so that the interceptors can't capture them.

Played some crucible today for the first time since the alpha. I can't understand why some members of the press don't like the multiplayer in this it seems really solid so far also head shot knife through may be the most satisfying way to murder somebody in a game for a while.

If you're familiar with the enthusiast press you know that there is a very small percentage of them that can be considered really capable players in competitive multiplayer games.

Tank is OP as fuck. My strategy for taking them out involves waiting for a teammate to distract the thing before dashing like mad towards the turret. It works 60% of the time, every time.

careful what you say, bungie turned the wraith in reach from being the best vehicle to a paper thin piece of crap in the final release.

The tank like vehicle does look OP, watch it become nerfed like mad for release.

Baliis

Hmm, B and C on the moon map should be moved further inside their respective buildings so that the interceptors can't capture them.

Using an interceptor to cap B and C is a great way to get killed though. The turret at B will tear you apart, and C you can't move around, you'll get destroyed by someone jumping on you with a shotgun from the roof.

BokehKing

Banned
Can you earn glimmer in the crucible? . I'm about to eat and then run the strike one last time and pop some seeds of ether and increase my glimmer intake

Vire

Ugh, I think I'm just give up on getting a green Full Auto or Scout with 57 attack.

I've run this strike far too many times... Really wish they didn't nerf the vendors so bad.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I don't understand, can't I play the story missions by myself? I want to enjoy them on my lonesome but keep seeing others pop in out of nowhere and start killing all the enemies for me...kind of kills it...

From what I remember, you can turn that feature off in the settings or something. I seem to remember Bungie talking about that and letting players go solo.

----

So, not liking the Hunter class so far. Will go back to the Warlock class. Question: I've unlocked Glide 2 but can I unlock Blink as well? I haven't seen any use it so I'm not sure. And there a way to unlock it faster? We unlock the second tier skills just by using them repeatedly, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom