• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second Destiny Beta Thread of 'SMiLE! The Beta's back up! Welcome Everyone!'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBS

Well I'm done with the beta at this point. Really enjoyed my time with PvE but no point burning myself out on limited content.

Hopefully we'll get a little more PvE before the beta is done.

SJS

Are all weapons scaled to be equally effective in MP? Will lvl8 auto rifle with damage score 50 have same effectives some weaker lower level or lower DMG auto rifles?

They seem to have built in stats that relate to the explicit damage number in a predetermined way. So Scout Rifles get one multiplier, Pulse another, etc.

tranciful

One thing I wish was on the companion app would be a way of seeing what all the shops/sellers had for sale at a given time. The stocks always refresh after a period of time so having the ability to just log into the app and check would save a lot of time.

It does already do that. Go to Tower Map

Best game Iv ever played. Venus.
10546988_269110969962330_8160934617899337232_o.jpg

Atsumi

Grr, my teammates both left during the Devilwalker confrontation and I suck to bad to kill him myself. Oh well, I guess I just need to get on when other friends are playing.

Really enjoying the game so far. Can't wait to try it on XB1 instead of my PS3.

The thing with the PvP is that it's not balanced towards you playing by yourself, like most Bungie games. Tanks are balanced in that they often need teamwork to disable when those supers or grenades aren't working. So I would be in communication with my teammate in a turret at alpha, and then I lure the tank to him. Or while one of my teammates is being a decoy (using cover effectively), I can light the driver up from the flank.

A lot of people when they encounter these tanks try jumping around and gliding away. This is a horrible idea. The tank is really good at picking people out of the air. You need to be moving fast towards cover( which there is a lot of on the moon) and not jumping around in the middle of an open field( which there is also a lot of). So many people just try bunny jumping directly towards the interceptor, which never works. You have to either coordinate with your team, make sure you have your super or turret, or run the fuck away. That last point is key-if you have nothing to kill the tank with, run until you do. Get to the other side of the map. Don't throw yourself against it giving the team kills. Here's one tip for pikes-use those caves on the edges of the map to flank the tanks.

On the subject of weapons- I feel that people should understand what their weapon is good for. Auto rifle will tear you apart in close quarters, but the scout rifle will do just the same at range, if not more so. If you're a good aim, you can nail people in 3 scout rifle shots. In my experience, I have not found a good enough pulse rifle to use, and I have almost never been killed by them. You can do good with them, but I'd avoid them. Same with handcannon. Hopefully that will change come release, but I have been fine with my scout rifle at range and my shotgun for close quarters Control Point assaults. Vice versa when I use an autorifle(which I hardly ever do). Autorifle for close quarters and sniper for long range. Ultimately-know your range and don't out yourself in a position where you can be outclassed.

I feel like the PvP does indeed feel a bit unbalanced when playing by yourself with randoms because the games systems are so built around teamwork and intel. When you have a team of six calling out the locations of the enemies and tanks and turrets, the game becomes a bit simpler. Just knowing where the enemy is and what weapons they have equipped is awesome.

TLDR: Get as big of a group as you can and stop playing PvP by yourself. Oh, and if you're not really having fun, that's ok too. Don't force it. Luckily Destiny has some great PvE as well.

So much this. I usually know who has a super or where the interceptor is because my team tells me. I dont have to run back and forth between cap zones because i know what my team is doing and where the enemy is.

If you're posting in DestinyGAF, i dont think you should find yourself without teammates in PvP.

Knoxcore

I officially suck in PvP. Like I cannot break 1000 points in a match. Even if I get the drop on someone, he or she winds up killing me. Makes me too tense, man! I'm too spazzy...

Generally speaking I'm terrible at FPS too. I'm the guy who freaks out and shoots everything but the guy. That's not to say I don't get a few kills in.

What I would like to see is a deemphasis on kills and a focus on objective gameplay for a mode like Control. I hate that they have k/d ratio as a stat. It reminds me too much of CoD.

Gaz_RB

Best game Iv ever played. Venus.
10546988_269110969962330_8160934617899337232_o.jpg
Smoked em. Nicely done.

So much this. I usually know who has a super or where the interceptor is because my team tells me. I dont have to run back and forth between cap zones because i know what my team is doing and where the enemy is.

If you're posting in DestinyGAF, i dont think you should find yourself without teammates in PvP.

You and I need to play sometime. Add me up: Gaz_RB

MrDaravon

After spending more time with the PvP I'm better at it, but still don't particularly care for what I've played of it so far. I don't like getting one-shotted "randomly" by supers and whatever the hell that 3 blue beam weapon is (which I've still never gotten or know what it is, but it still one-shots me even in regular "balanced" Crucible). I don't really get the CoD comparisons though; I mean yeah there's Supers and heavy weapons, but while getting streaks charges your Super faster you don't lose them when you die. Also in CoD you can counter a lot of killstreaks in a variety of ways with your own killstreaks, getting to cover if it's an airstrike, etc. In this game someone can pop around a corner and one shot you dead with a Super with no real warning. In a weird way it reminds me of the Mass Effect multiplayer in how it plays, there's a bit of a weird weightlessness to everything IMO which is a non-issue in PvE, but in PvP feels off to me.

It doesn't help that there seems to be lag issues, or at least I'm having lag issues in PvP (my melee will kill someone 2 seconds later, etc). Also I'm playing on PS3 and I haaaaaate the DS3 for shooters, looking forward to checking this out either on a 360 or PS4 to see if that alleviates some of my issues, the dead zone on the PS3 sticks really bothers me and even after a heavy weekend of playing I'm still just not aiming like I want to be.

Two questions though:

-Does PvP have join in-progress? Almost every match is still marred by lopsided teams from people leaving.

-Is there an option somewhere I'm missing to select what map I want to play on? With the exception of my very first match literally every match I have played has been on Venus. I haven't even seen this moon map with the supposedly broken tank or whatever yet.

1upmuffin

Grr, my teammates both left during the Devilwalker confrontation and I suck to bad to kill him myself. Oh well, I guess I just need to get on when other friends are playing.

Really enjoying the game so far. Can't wait to try it on XB1 instead of my PS3.

I still haven't gotten to the end the strike either, did matchmaking but we were a bit low level and couldn't beat it. Wanna try to beat it while waiting for Iron Banner? Playing on PS3 as well.

This game’s space/menu music is straight out of Star Wars. It sounds like what I imagine a new Star Wars RPG might have. Marty did a great job and it is a shame he won’t be here for the next game.

Just to add to the primary weapon balance discussion. As someone whose been stuck with only the hand cannon or the scout rifle(and generally prefers full auto weapons) I can honestly say the Hand cannon isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Yes, the reload time and clip size are terrible. However, I can shoot one shot and melee someone with the hand cannon and kill them, in a very similar manner to the shot gun. That and I can three shot people normally, 2 shot head shot them otherwise. Also the hip fire accuracy makes it just about the only weapon that I spend more time hip firing than ADS. The key here is, if the enemies at medium range, not to tap the trigger like a mad man. Instead have a brief pause between firing to let the accuracy reset and you can kill the enemy pretty fast with decent aim. I honestly find I do better with the cannon than the scout rifle.

All this being said, I'm still frantically trying to find an auto-rifle, it definitely seems to be the best all around choice in PVP. My luck sucks, thus far.

I love the Hand Cannon in concept, and would be all over it for obvious reasons, but i just can't make it work in PvP. Honestly, i haven't given it enough time either, but that's only because I got stomped in any 1 v 1 encounter I found myself in with it. Buffing the reload time considering the small magazine is an obvious way to make it a bit more useful. Less Dirty Harry, more crazed gunslinger.

Robin64

Wish I could voice chat with the random I meet for the Strike. "Go for the fucking legs!" I'd say, and it would be wonderful and wouldn't be a complete failure.

Atsumi

I still haven't gotten to the end the strike either, did matchmaking but we were a bit low level and couldn't beat it. Wanna try to beat it while waiting for Iron Banner? Playing on PS3 as well.

I would, but I'm giving my boyfriend a chance to play now. And I have no headset for PS. (Since I primarily Xbox game)

void666

Banned
I've been playing mp and so far it's been very frustrating. 99% of the time i get killed instantly. My regular weapon don't seem to make any damage. I get kills with the heavy weapon though.

I've been playing mp and so far it's been very frustrating. 99% of the time i get killed instantly. My regular weapon don't seem to make any damage. I get kills with the heavy weapon though.

Well all of the weapons in general MP are balanced to have the same overall set of stats....so that is a skill thing on your part. Team up with some Gaffers, the game works best in teams.

Nyx

Reached lvl 8 with my titan tonight and was able to finish the Strike mission killing the Devil Walker and that big 'Eye' creature.

Think I'm done with the beta, bring on the retail version!

Atrophis

-Is there an option somewhere I'm missing to select what map I want to play on? With the exception of my very first match literally every match I have played has been on Venus. I haven't even seen this moon map with the supposedly broken tank or whatever yet.

I wish the game mixed it up more. I've only seen the moon map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom