• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA announces Ghost Squad for the Wii with NO online play

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yea, the arcade version was actually pretty damn good looking. Some of the screens for the Wii version seem close, but many are off.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm trying to find direct screens of the arcade version for comparison but there's literally no screenshots, unless you want thumbsized pics

I'm willing to give Sega a little faith on this one seeing as how I can't fathom anyone screwing up a port of a three-year-old arcade game.

But if they fail then all is lost.
And the screens still don't look right, they're far too bright and thus show off the little imperfections the game has had since the arcade version.

Oh and the circle shadows were present in the arcade version too.

BTW: I also don't see the big deal about lack of online play. I don't think gun games really work online.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ghostsquad_b.jpg
58481520070510_191916_9_big.jpg

Hmm, I guess it's not totally bad.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The arcade screen with the bomb is a bad resolution though. Look at the jaggies.

Bad comparison pic anyway, I mean it's just a bomb lol

Jammy

Banned
They look fairly similar. And it's not like this is gameplay-breaking or anything.

EDIT: We need a Virtua Cop, House of the Dead, and Crazy Taxi in some form on Wii. :/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Closer than I recall, actually. Something looks slightly off about it, though. The textures seem slightly lower resolution and the lighting appears a bit different, but I suppose we'll see.

Linkup

Jammy said:
They look fairly similar. And it's not like this is gameplay-breaking or anything.

EDIT: We need a Virtua Cop, House of the Dead, and Crazy Taxi in some form on Wii. :/

Most of the lighting is gone and the texture look lower res, which is pretty lame.

Virtua Cop 3 and HotD 3 would be cool, but I can do without Crazy Taxi

gswiibz1.jpg

Went ahead and added in some next gen.

The other shot
ghostsquadayf2.jpg

thefro

Played this in the arcade a couple months ago... quite fun.

This sounds like it includes the "Ghost Squad Evolution" expansion (or at least some of the features) that came out this spring as well.

levious said:
I'm sure it will use a cursor.

Online play is great since in the arcade it used link machines if I remember correctly. Different paths for each player I think too.

The arcade version uses a cursor. It's a perfect fit for the Wii.

Wait, coud "enhanced port" mean a port of Ghost Squad Evolution?

Also, I wonder if the need for a cursor in lightgun games could be eliminated with something like two sensor bars?
I hope a third party attemps something similar with the PS3 and 360 (nextgen Guncon?).

Linkup

PowerSmell said:
Also, I wonder if the need for a cursor in lightgun games could be eliminated with something like two sensor bars?
I hope a third party attemps something similar with the PS3 and 360 (nextgen Guncon?).

If your talking about a direct beam from the gun to a point on the screen(rather than a relative movement of the cursor done with tilt), then it could be done with just one sensor, but would have to have some setup. In reality, I would like both options so I could play facing away from the tv.

i support this chihiro/xbox->wii port because

a) it's sega; the wii version will look worse for unknown reasons, but which will be easily pinned on the wii's shit hardware regardless
b) this will fuel further xbox versus wii hardware arguments, further entrenching the wii as only relevant in last-gen graphics discussions
c) ...
d) drinky crow will profit

loosus

Banned
Ugh, has that classic "GameCube" look to it...the same look that ruined games like Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes.

That's just ugly.

Drinky Crow said:
i support this chihiro/xbox->wii port because

a) it's sega; the wii version will look worse for unknown reasons, but which will be easily pinned on the wii's shit hardware regardless
b) this will fuel further xbox versus wii hardware arguments, further entrenching the wii as only relevant in last-gen graphics discussions
c) ...
d) drinky crow will profit

this might be already old and not mine but...

ft3eygk.gif

Evlar

Banned
PowerSmell said:
Wait, coud "enhanced port" mean a port of Ghost Squad Evolution?

It could be done with three non-colinear IR beacons. It would be best if the three points formed an isosceles right triangle or the shape of a capital letter 'L' (turned on its side, inverted, doesn't matter) and if the distance between each point was a constant known beforehand. That last bit is part of the problem, since TVs are all different sizes the vertical portion of the right triangle must vary, making calibration trickier.

Once you have your triangle you can calibrate to your TV screen, and then it SHOULD remain in calibration as you move about the room (to a limited degree). Just don't move the IR emitters.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
A correct comparison of shots would be like ->

Wii vs Arcade
GhostSquad.jpg
vs
ams14sz1.jpg

Looks the same or a bit better on the Wii (but the photo of the arcade isn't clean neither...)

Threi

notag
tanasten said:
A correct comparison of shots would be like ->

Wii vs Arcade
GhostSquad.jpg
vs
ams14sz1.jpg

Looks the same or a bit better on the Wii (but the photo of the arcade isn't clean neither...)

The Wii shot was resized properly while it looks like the arcade shot was rescaled...it looks like the wii version has lighting omitted for some reason (they might improve it with a later build so i will reserve judgement for now)

tanasten

It's arcade perfect. I can see only gamma differences which can be due to the shots, or maybe intentional for something.

Anyway, the game is fun.

tanasten

Wario64 said:
Most games can look good if you reize the pics smaller...

We're just putting the screens at the same resolution than the shots from the arcade, because people seems not to know what you said, and therefore they were saying "it's worse than the arcade" when looks identical.

camineet

Banned
don't forget that Chihiro boards have a minimum of 128 MB of RAM.

in some cases (OutRun2, OutRun2 SP) it had 512 MB.

I don't know how much RAM the Chihiro board for Ghost Squad used.

Wii has what, 88 MB.

Wii version looks good enough, as long as it's 60fps.

tanasten

camineet said:
don't forget that Chihiro boards have a minimum of 128 MB of RAM.

in some cases (OutRun2, OutRun2 SP) it had 512 MB.

I don't know how much RAM the Chihiro board for Ghost Squad used.

Wii has what, 88 MB.

Wii version looks good enough, as long as it's 60fps.

In arcades RAM is needed to manage easily data and avoid loading times as much as possible. I think should not be a problem for the Wii to run Chihiro games at all. Just a tweak there and here to manage memory and ready.

Will Have to get a Wii just for the Sega games. So far Sega's support is as good as the early X-box support.
Ghost squad
Sonic and the secert of the ring
Nights2
Monkey Ball Banana Blitz.

All are top notch games.

camineet

Banned
tanasten said:
In arcades RAM is needed to manage easily data and avoid loading times as much as possible. I think should not be a problem for the Wii to run Chihiro games at all. Just a tweak there and here to manage memory and ready.

true.

if you look at OutRun2 and OutRun2 SP on Xbox which only had 64 MB RAM, there's not really a noticable drop in texture quality from the arcade versions (512 MB) unless you're really looking for it.

on another note: hey Sega can we PLEASE have Daytona USA & Daytona USA 2, even if you rename them "SEGA Racing 1 & 2 " ?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm glad someone is try this type of game on Wii. If it works I'll actually start looking for one.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Glad somebody put up shots to compare. I hope IGN gets that video up and running soon. This could be pretty cool.

Awesome i love light gun games. Ive been waiting for some more content like this. 4 players is crazy, though I do hope they have an option to support the wii remote, as I don't think i'd pay for 4 peripherials to play it. Any release date given?

Krowley

Sega is known for making good light gun games so I think this is a pretty nifty announement.. And It looks slightly different than the arcade version, but i wouldn't say it looks worse.

In fact, it's hard to decide which one looks better. There are differences but they don't really put one game above the other.

Top Bottom