• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

gelf

The original Xbox games like Panzer Dragoon Orta are my most wanted as they are the oldest Sega games that aren't on a system that has a working emulator. After that its Virtua Fighter 5 as PC needs 3D fighters and being the first to do it(in decades) would hopefully be a boost to my fave fighting series.

Marow

3cou9HA.jpg

"No."
It came!

Colin.

Saw the petition update in my inbox earlier, what a delightful bit of news to start the day. Very happy to know VC will now be coming to PC. I wonder if we could ever see the second, and third (JP only atm) game make their way over as well, if the first game goes well. Probably being a bit ambitious with that one, but this is a start. So thanks to everyone involved that got the word out there, that alerted SEGA to the demand for these games. Hope there will be more to come in the future.

I think the exact opposite. Valkyria Chronicles is a completely unique game (both aesthetically and gameplay-wise) in a genre that is very popular on PC. On the other hand, Vanquish could be seen (rightfully or not) as "just another third person action game".

I think Sega might be wary of Vanquish success, since seemingly, Binary Domain didn't meet their expectations on PC.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think Sega might be wary of Vanquish success, since seemingly, Binary Domain didn't meet their expectations on PC.

Binary Domain didn't meet their expectations anywhere unfortunately. That game was not given the push it deserved. Great game that failed miserably financially.

Isn't it generally seen that any sales in the long run for PC games on Steam are treated as a revenue?

Yeah, but maybe is not enough. Their DC ports also seems they didn't do as they hoped, so maybe they have too much expectations.

Just a guess why they went with the more exoteric choice first.

Binary Domain didn't meet their expectations anywhere unfortunately. That game was not given the push it deserved. Great game that failed miserably financially.

That's true, unfortunately Vanquish didn't too, although it did better that BD but definetly wasn't a success. I feel Vanquish will come, but somehow they are still reluctant.

Also who knows what happens inside these japanese companies regarding Steam. They aren't logical at all...

It's a shame Sega isn't seeing the success they'd like. I don't feel sorry for the port of Sega Bass Fishing flopping, but they legit tried with Jet Grind Radio. That deserved to sell better.

If SEGA included their OG Xbox line up I'd be in heaven,

As for last gen games VC1 was the only last gen game I don't already have. Although I'd buy Vanquish again if it included some new challenges, even if I had to pay extra for them as DLC

EDIT A port of the XBLA HD port of Virtual On - OT would be the dogs bollocks, if only to show western players this there is more to 1Vs1 than Street Fighter and ppl to play online to play with. Anarchy Reigns too.

Ashes

Banned
This just reminded me of how well Sega did last gen. Three of my favourite games are from them.
It just passed me by somehow.

I'm torn to be honest. Part of me wants to say "FUCK SEGA" due to the whole PSO2 situation, yet I'd love to have their past gen lineups on the PC. VF5 on PC??? Hell yes please!

impact

Banned
I'm torn to be honest. Part of me wants to say "FUCK SEGA" due to the whole PSO2 situation, yet I'd love to have their past gen lineups on the PC. VF5 on PC??? Hell yes please!
Personally I'm gonna keep on saying FUCK SEGA since I already played VC.

Unless they localize PSO2, or release Vanquish and Bayonetta on PC then I don't feel they deserve my money.

Nemmy

I see Virtua Fighter 5 coming to PC.

Not sure about Vanquish and Bayonetta though. I'm wondering if those being made by Platinum Games might increase the cost of porting them, rather than the Sega developed VF5 and VC, but I don't know much about them and how contracts/porting works between companies.

Wasn't there some talk about Platinum having already made an alpha PC port of Bayonetta as a training exercise? Or am I crazy and imagining things?
Either way, they ported MGRR and their result wasn't bad, so I'd wager they could port their other games if Sega said yes, though if it would make a big difference financially for Sega I have no idea. After all, outsourcing ports is a common practice anyway.

I think the exact opposite. Valkyria Chronicles is a completely unique game (both aesthetically and gameplay-wise) in a genre that is very popular on PC. On the other hand, Vanquish could be seen (rightfully or not) as "just another third person action game".

I agree this is exactly what Vanquish looks like if you don't recognize Mikami/Platinum as a quality guarantee. It's what it looked to me when I bought it, "another TPS with space marines, whatever Mikami made this so I'll give it a shot."

Honestly, I'd love to see Platinum's stuff on PC but I can't see those games getting many sales from outside of their already existing fanbase.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It's a shame Sega isn't seeing the success they'd like. I don't feel sorry for the port of Sega Bass Fishing flopping, but they legit tried with Jet Grind Radio. That deserved to sell better.

Do we know for a fact that JGR and Bass Fishing have sold poorly on Steam?

I own quite a few Sega games on Steam, some of which I also own for other Sega systems but I bought them again anyway just to let them know I am all for Sega games on Steam, but there are some I haven't bought either. For exampel, I won't buy Crazy Taxi on Steam because A) it doesn't have the original music, but more importantly B) it doesn't support analog controls. The control issue is not excusable to me, seeing how my DC version controls with analog just fine.

If they are good Sega ports, I buy them. Mainly because I want other Sega games on Steam. Games like Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Virtua Fighter, hell I'd even rebuy Ecco if it was on Steam.

BadWolf

Wasn't there some talk about Platinum having already made an alpha PC port of Bayonetta as a training exercise? Or am I crazy and imagining things?
Either way, they ported MGRR, which is on the same engine IIRC and their result wasn't bad, so I'd wager they could port their other games if Sega said yes, though if it would make a big difference financially for Sega I have no idea. After all, outsourcing ports is a common practice anyway.

Isn't MGR using the Vanquish engine?

This is true, there was almost no awareness for the game, even less than Dead Souls that came out a short time later (I still maintain that they should have included the Yakuza characters for MP mode in the West).

Indeed, I'd include the NiGHTS port as well since they even went back to patch in the controls fix.

LoudCore

Neo Member
I'm guessing they picked this game to port because it was probably the easiest one to port and a decent game to test the PC market with. So hopefully it sells well and is reasonably priced so they can start to port more games!

Durante

I'm guessing they picked this game to port because it was probably the easiest one to port
I think that's really unlikely. It's a PS3 exclusive on a custom engine. They have other games which should be easier to port.

They probably picked it because they think it has good sales potential on PC. Or because they realize it's the best thing they made all last gen. Probably the former :p

Do we know for a fact that JGR and Bass Fishing have sold poorly on Steam?
I seem to remember someone from marketing stating their grand plan of porting dozens of Dreamcast games stopped because of lower-than-expected sales. And then you have that supposed insider stating that a Shenmue collection and Skies of Arcadia are just sitting in limbo, supposedly because of the poor sales. But who knows about that one.

Durante

It would be incredibly amusing (and somewhat representative of decision making in the gaming industry, or at least what it looks like from the outside) if a Skies of Arcadia port was stopped because no one wanted Bass Fishing.

Games are not commodities.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It would be incredibly amusing (and somewhat representative of decision making in the gaming industry, or at least what it looks like from the outside) if a Skies of Arcadia port was stopped because no one wanted Bass Fishing.

Games are not commodities.

Actually I thought someone let it loose that Shenmue and Skies both have some code or engine that doesn't wholey belong to Sega so it was stopped from release.

Shenmue is the one with the code/engine being tied-up in legal tape, Skies had no such issue. According to the rumors, both titles were held back because of the low sales of the JSR and NiGHTS ports, not SEGA Bass Fishing.

Spaghetti

ehhhh, don't be so quick to deem the sega heritage collection releases dead yet. sega very much realise they're sitting on an impressive and well loved back catalogue that they can introduce to new audiences and get nostalgic fans to rebuy.

going back and fixing the initial awful dreamcast collection ports for pc is a good way of showing they're taking it seriously from a quality standpoint at least.

if night and jsr didn't sell so great, so what? keep plugging out releases, people still want to buy old games. digital titles have evergreen sales, they don't just taper off because a portion of copies are in circulation as preowned disks and there's a diminished demand for new printings. let them go on sale, keep them in the mindshare of gamers, reach those that are just looking for something different... or something cheap.

sega knows there's gold under their feet. just give it time.

i would rather virtua fighter 5 FS comes out on pc before any other dreamcast ports, however

Shenmue is the one with the code/engine being tied-up in legal tape, Skies had no such issue. According to the rumors, both titles were held back because of the low sales of the JSR and NiGHTS ports, not SEGA Bass Fishing.
They're always doing that sort of thing.

How many times have we heard from some producer or other "Buy game X, if you want game Y".

Didn't mean to suggest Sega Bass Fishing was contributing to the hold up, was just being silly :p

that good? I remember playing the demo and feeling like it was a rather plain game.. didn't run too well on my old laptop either. Maybe I should lower some settings and give it another shot.
It's rather generic on the first few levels but it ramps up with cool encounter design and some pretty fun boss battles, it's totes worth playing

Skyzard

Banned
Vanquish on PC would be fantastic.

It's going to compete with what, lost planets, the recent red factions :/ That f2p warframe.

Top Bottom