• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

I should probably clarify since I'm thinking some might misunderstand what I contributed; I wrote the petition on change and pushed publications to write about us. I'd been thinking of such a petition for a while but felt I wouldn't be able to garner support from the PC community for a campaign like this. In a way I was right because we never managed to get PCGamer or RockPaperShotgun to write about us and we really could have used their traffic. Other PC gaming sites like IncGamers did give us some coverage though. Anyways, when Grief made the original push here on GAF I realized I was, at least in part, wrong. I ended up writing the petition to push the campaign in the direction SEGA felt would be most convincing. I don't work at SEGA though and I have an incomplete picture of what's happening behind the scenes, I did know some stuff. I knew Valkyria Chronicles was coming a few months back. I know more but people told me in confidence and I'll be keeping my word on such things. I will say this: If you want the other games, you should absolutely keep pushing the petition and if you have interest in Valkyria Chronicles you should buy it.

I think the main folks to thank (if you want to single folks out) are Grief (original twitter push), nillansan (who provided near constant moral support for what I was doing in the first couple of weeks despite a small amount of naysayers, he also made the thunderclap), Sajjaja (who was useless ;)), Dario (who made the original campaign video), Draikin (who made a video for Valkyria Chronicles to be included in the campaign) and Krusenstern (not sure if he's still on gaf but he helped with press pushes quite a bit).

Sorry about the parens folks. So many.

So more petitions huh? Grief pls :)

Nzyme32

I should probably clarify since I'm thinking some might misunderstand what I contributed; I wrote the petition on change and pushed publications to write about us. I'd been thinking of such a petition for a while but felt I wouldn't be able to garner support from the PC community for a campaign like this. In a way I was right because we never managed to get PCGamer or RockPaperShotgun to write about us and we really could have used their traffic. Other PC gaming sites like IncGamers did give us some coverage though. Anyways, when Grief made the original push here on GAF I realized I was, at least in part, wrong. I ended up writing the petition to push the campaign in the direction SEGA felt would be most convincing. I don't work at SEGA though and I have an incomplete picture of what's happening behind the scenes, I did know some stuff. I knew Valkyria Chronicles was coming a few months back. I know more but people told me in confidence and I'll be keeping my word on such things. I will say this: If you want the other games, you should absolutely keep pushing the petition and if you have interest in Valkyria Chronicles you should buy it.

I think the main folks to thank (if you want to single folks out) are Grief (original twitter push), nillansan (who provided near constant moral support for what I was doing in the first couple of weeks despite a small amount of naysayers, he also made the thunderclap), Sajjaja (who was useless ;)), Dario (who made the original campaign video), Draikin (who made a video for Valkyria Chronicles to be included in the campaign) and Krusenstern (not sure if he's still on gaf but he helped with press pushes quite a bit).

Sorry about the parens folks. So many.

While I'm very grateful, impressed and proud of the outcome so far, it is also kind of saddening the amount of effort and dedication required to get the ball rolling for something like this on the platform. I really hope we can keep this up, but more so that this is easier to do in future

TaroYamada

So more petitions huh? Grief pls :)

Nah we'll stay with this petition lol. Grief is at work so you're SOL.

While I'm very grateful, impressed and proud of the outcome so far, it is also kind of saddening the amount of effort and dedication required to get the ball rolling for something like this on the platform. I really hope we can keep this up, but more so that this is easier to do in future

I get their perspective, luckily I think the fact it went trending and has like 1k retweets probably put their worries to rest immediately. Hopefully though the overall goal of the petition isn't forgotten. This was more about changing SEGA's perspective on what the PC audience wants vs. any of the games included in it.

I see Virtua Fighter 5 coming to PC.

Not sure about Vanquish and Bayonetta though. I'm wondering if those being made by Platinum Games might increase the cost of porting them, rather than the Sega developed VF5 and VC, but I don't know much about them and how contracts/porting works between companies.

Videoneon

I see Virtua Fighter 5 coming to PC.

Not sure about Vanquish and Bayonetta though. I'm wondering if those being made by Platinum Games might increase the cost of porting them, rather than the Sega developed VF5 and VC, but I don't know much about them and how contracts/porting works between companies.

I'm not sure if this was brought up already, but Tekken 7 has a PC version coming and I believe it's being developed on a PC. The latter I'm less sure of. Street Fighter IV series has had presences on PC already and though I believe there were issues with those games generally publishers seem to be more friendly with fighting games on PC now.

3cou9HA.jpg

"No."

SparkTR

I never really paid much attention to this because the only games I kind of care about is Vanquish, Shenmue and maybe Chromehounds, but if it's working I'll sign.

Tagyhag

PC gaming lacks the backing of a giant corporation so the community has always picked up the slack. It makes things tougher but when we have such a strong community we can pull off stuff like this without needing to accept archaic restrictions.

It's quite amazing to see it all come together.

"I'm not sure if this was brought up already, but Tekken 7 has a PC version coming and I believe it's being developed on a PC. The latter I'm less sure of. Street Fighter IV series has had presences on PC already and though I believe there were issues with those games generally publishers seem to be more friendly with fighting games on PC now."

It has not been confirmed that Tekken 7 is coming to PC. The only source is kdr*mastars who run bullshit stories commonly. All games are developed on PCs.

Videoneon

Oh, excuse me for that. I had thought I had read the news of a Tekken 7 PC version on Gematsu once, but it appears I was mistaken. I also wanted to say that most all games are created via use of a PC, what with editing programs and even things like Excel (I recall reading that item listings and dialogues were kept in an excel spreadsheet in a piece produced by XSEED giving insight into the localization process of one of their games) but I am not all that informed on what is used to develop games. Thanks.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Wow. Fantastic effort by all.
Been playing Company of Heroes original & could do with some PC Valkyria Chronicles.

Also Bayo WiiU is in the mail but could go 4k version + Mad World & Vanquish please :)

Nillansan

I think the main folks to thank (if you want to single folks out) are Grief (original twitter push), nillansan (who provided near constant moral supporI think the main folks to thank (if you want to single folks out) are Grief (original twitter push), nillansan (who provided near constant moral support for what I was doing in the first couple of weeks despite a small amount of naysayers, he also made the thunderclap), Sajjaja (who was useless ;)), Dario (who made the original campaign video), Draikin (who made a video for Valkyria Chronicles to be included in the campaign) and Krusenstern (not sure if he's still on gaf but he helped with press pushes quite a bit).t for what I was doing in the first couple of weeks despite a small amount of naysayers, he also made the thunderclap), Sajjaja (who was useless ;)), Dario (who made the original campaign video), Draikin (who made a video for Valkyria Chronicles to be included in the campaign) and Krusenstern (not sure if he's still on gaf but he helped with press pushes quite a bit).

Thank you TaroYamada.

Initially I had zero interest in VC, but I was still happy that it was coming to PC. But after reading the announcement thread, I have to say that I can't wait to see it. I just wish that companies would give a timeframe when they announce something.

I never really paid much attention to this because the only games I kind of care about is Vanquish, Shenmue and maybe Chromehounds, but if it's working I'll sign.

You lose nothing by signing the petition and could only potentially gain a game or two more.

Tizoc

Baby steps people, baby steps.
We'll get the others in due time for now let's buy the fuck out of Valkyria Chronicles.

Durante

Good news and I'm genuinely surprised but I feel VC isn't going to sell well on PC.

I had it on PS3 and loved it. Would buy it again but if I was to guess, it would sell like shit on PC and ruin the chances of any other older titles.

Vanquish on the other hand would sell like hotcakes.
I think the exact opposite. Valkyria Chronicles is a completely unique game (both aesthetically and gameplay-wise) in a genre that is very popular on PC. On the other hand, Vanquish could be seen (rightfully or not) as "just another third person action game".

TaroYamada

I think the exact opposite. Valkyria Chronicles is a completely unique game (both aesthetically and gameplay-wise) in a genre that is very popular on PC. On the other hand, Vanquish could be seen (rightfully or not) as "just another third person action game".

I don't think either would have failed. I highly doubt any of the games mentioned could fail actually. 2D fighters have clearly built a niche, it's time for 3D fighters to show up. Bayonetta/Vanquish seem like obvious successes to me. Valkyria Chronicles seems obvious too, we just felt it the hardest to port.

Hasney

If this all goes to plan and the sales of the games spur more ports, Sega will become my favourite developer again and reclaim the crown they lost around 2002 or so.

They will reach new heights into god-tier status with Shenmue/Yakuza series ports however.
I don't think either would have failed. I highly doubt any of the games mentioned could fail actually. 2D fighters have clearly built a niche, it's time for 3D fighters to show up. Bayonetta/Vanquish seem like obvious successes to me. Valkyria Chronicles seems obvious too, we just felt it the hardest to port.

Agree with this. VC is unique enough to appeal broadly, it was really hampered by being a fairly early 3rd party PS3 exclusive when it wasn't selling great and had barely any marketing. Front and centre on Steam store on release and I think it will do well.

Vanquish is talked about more now than it was at release and I think the Platinum name has even more value now too. If Vanquish was ever going to work as a re-release, now would be the time.

Durante

Oh, I agree that none of these would fail. I just think VC can succeed most (if it hits the right awareness spot).

TaroYamada

Oh, I agree that none of these would fail. I just think VC can succeed most (if it hits the right awareness spot).

When I started writing that thread I was just gonna discuss Vanq + VC, hence the use of "either". That is now, retrospectively, improper.

Sorry folks. I failed you. Requesting ban from mods.

Corpekata

Banned
I can kinda see Virtua Fighter bombing. Not exactly a high profile franchise anymore and late fighting game ports have questionable success on PC. I know why it was chosen, but I'm just glad they didn't start with it.

TaroYamada

I can kinda see Virtua Fighter bombing. Not exactly a high profile franchise anymore and late fighting game ports have questionable success on PC. I know why it was chosen, but I'm just glad they didn't start with it.

It's about as late as the KOF13 port, at least if we are looking at Final Showdown's launch on consoles. We really need a solid 3D fighter on PC and it'd have a monopoly. For the right price, say $15-20 and all DLC I see it doing well. $15 isn't out of the question either, Viking was $15, Typing of the Dead Overkill was $10 IIRC.

SEGA's pricing is stupid reasonable on PC with these late ports, though TOTD OK was more of a re-imagining.

TaroYamada

Just want to thank everybody for showing support today, it means a lot to me. Hopefully the petition keeps going and we can change SEGA's attitude towards Japanese releases on PC if we keep up the push. Sign the petition folks, this shouldn't end with Valkyria Chronicles. It's a victory won but not the end of the road :)

Thanks for everything.

It's about as late as the KOF13 port, at least if we are looking at Final Showdown's launch on consoles. We really need a solid 3D fighter on PC and it'd have a monopoly. For the right price, say $15-20 and all DLC I see it doing well. $15 isn't out of the question either, Viking was $15, Typing of the Dead Overkill was $10 IIRC.

SEGA's pricing is stupid reasonable on PC with these late ports, though TOTD OK was more of a re-imagining.

If I'm not wrong, Typing of the Dead Overkill also had a classic mode.

Zarx

Just want to thank everybody for showing support today, it means a lot to me. Hopefully the petition keeps going and we can change SEGA's attitude towards Japanese releases on PC if we keep up the push. Sign the petition folks, this shouldn't end with Valkyria Chronicles. It's a victory won but not the end of the road :)

Thanks for everything.

The next battle is getting everyone to buy VC. Voting with our wallets is the strongest message we can send. That is how it worked with Bandai Namco. We petitioned for Dark Souls. And when that sold well we got DS2, Naruto, Enslaved, Ace Combat etc. And now we are getting DBZ, and hopefully Tekken and Tales will follow.

Hopefully it will be the same for SEGA Japan.

TaroYamada

If I'm not wrong, Typing of the Dead Overkill also had a classic mode.

Correct. Forgot about that.

The next battle is getting everyone to buy VC. Voting with our wallets is the strongest message we can send. That is how it worked with Bandai Namco. We petitioned for Dark Souls. And when that sold well we got DS2, Naruto, Enslaved, Ace Combat etc. And now we are getting DBZ, and hopefully Tekken and Tales will follow.

Hopefully it will be the same for SEGA Japan.

I'll likely send out an email to change sigs when the pre-order page goes up, 13k emails is decent. Right?

If everyone jumped the Final Fantasy XIII bandwagon, myself included, I'm more than sure we can create another Ancient Hype Train Vanguard for Valkyria Chronicles. I mean, yes, it has no Lightning but it has animu all over the place, right? :p

Either way, day one as I read comments about the game being more fitting of PC than anything else.

And, true, we got the most unlikely of the bunch out of this, now for the other ones! Into the fray, into battle! FOR AGATHAAAAAA!!! I mean, FOR SEGAAAA!!!

Correct. Forgot about that.

I'll likely send out an email to change sigs when the pre-order page goes up, 13k emails is decent. Right?

Good idea ! Now, we also need some websites to give a hand on that :p

If everyone jumped the Final Fantasy XIII bandwagon, myself included, I'm more than sure we can create another Ancient Hype Train Vanguard for Valkyria Chronicles. I mean, yes, it has no Lightning but it has animu all over the place, right? :p

Either way, day one as I read comments about the game being more fitting of PC than anything else.

And, true, we got the most unlikely of the bunch out of this, now for the other ones! Into the fray, into battle! FOR AGATHAAAAAA!!! I mean, FOR SEGAAAA!!!

They only need to put the preorder page ! Then they get my money.:)

Agreed. I think VC will do very very well on Steam if introduced at the right pricepoint ($14.99-$19.99 maybe?) and if the port is not completely broken.

Japanese/Anime-games are still a very underserved market with tons of people who are willing to buy practically anything, and VC is a good one at that. It's also a unique strategy game, which generally does well on the PC. I can't think of a much better fit for a first try at a PC port from SEGA.

Top Bottom