• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I disagree. The changes to the camera, the improved draw distance.etc make it easily the best version.

I think that it can be the best version while still a lame port. 30fps and resolution lock will always leave a sour taste on a modern PC port.

I'm not certain about the resolution thing though now that i think about it, i should double check that.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I think that it can be the best version while still a lame port. 30fps and resolution lock will always leave a sour taste on a modern PC port.

I'm not certain about the resolution thing though now that i think about it, i should double check that.

I'm pretty sure they updated it like a week or two ago with better PC features along with all the other dreamcast collection games.

jett

D-Member

The resolution isn't locked.

ezodagrom

Resolution isn't locked, but when it comes to the framerate, it probably would have been too much work for them to make it 60fps, probably wouldn't have been worth it for the amount of people that would buy it anyway, it's a game where increasing the framerate makes the game run faster (there's a few seconds when opening the game that it's running at 60fps, it's pretty much running at double speed during that bit) and decreasing it makes it run in slow motion.

I'm pretty sure they updated it like a week or two ago with better PC features along with all the other dreamcast collection games.
Only the first set of dreamcast games were updated, that is, Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 Part 2 and SEGA Bass Fishing.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
They're always doing that sort of thing.

How many times have we heard from some producer or other "Buy game X, if you want game Y".

I get where you're coming from but I guess there is at least some logic behind it: Money/resources/developers are currently invested in X. If X does not turn out to be profitable, there will have to be cutbacks on either developers or resources, meaning Y might not be possible. Sure, I doubt SEGA is in such dire straits that even a total financial failure would make any port impossible, but I guess businessmen logic still follows the basic 'If the guys making X are successful, they get enough funding for Y' train of thought, regardless of different X and Y might be.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I downloaded and double checked Jet Set Radio and yes it is framerate locked, no it is not resolution locked.

It also works with GeDoSaTo, which is nice.

I think I remember being pretty bitter on it because I was really hoping for 60fps, and when you're in the menus there's a SMALL glimmer where transitioning from main menu to career menu that the game runs at 60fps. I actualled messed around with Cheat engine and you can make the game run a bit faster with the speedhack and it gives a nicer framerate. Of course, the game is running at a slightly faster speed however, which could be bad (I actually like the faster pace!)

Also, pairing it with GeDoSaTo's post processing options, you can pull off more vibrant/really cool stuff with the looks.

Vibrant
screenshot_2014_10_28_17_44_45_8_by_alooo81-d84hr2v.jpg
screenshot_2014_10_28_17_44_45_9_by_alooo81-d84hr2f.jpg

More edge lines

Sin City shader

Alright I was wrong. Port redeemed. I'm a dingus.

Binary Domain didn't meet their expectations anywhere unfortunately. That game was not given the push it deserved. Great game that failed miserably financially.

While Binary Domain and Vanquish are similar games they had totally different reactions from gamers and critics a like.

Binary Domain was announced at a time when gamers were getting sick of brown and grey cover shooters, to my exasperation right from the initial teaser trailer BD was hated on and written off as a bad Japanese Gears clone by critics and gamers a like. Although reviews were more positive it was £10 new 4-5 weeks later.

Vanquish had quite a good deal of hype behind it, Hyped as a Gears killer what killed that game was it's lack of online MP and short campaign making the game a rental to most ppl.

Ultimately what killed SEGA's last gen action games was SEGA themselves, they had a real bad knack of miss timing gamer trends, If they released their MP games BD and Anarchy Reigns in 2009/10 and Vanquish a year or two later when MP games were failing left and right and gamers were getting desperate for unique experiences they'd have sold more copies. Hopefully SEGA is aware of their mistakes and not look at their IP's as lost courses.

Nabs

I downloaded and double checked Jet Set Radio and yes it is framerate locked, no it is not resolution locked.

It also works with GeDoSaTo, which is nice.

I think I remember being pretty bitter on it because I was really hoping for 60fps, and when you're in the menus there's a SMALL glimmer where transitioning from main menu to career menu that the game runs at 60fps. I actualled messed around with Cheat engine and you can make the game run a bit faster with the speedhack and it gives a nicer framerate. Of course, the game is running at a slightly faster speed however, which could be bad (I actually like the faster pace!)

Also, pairing it with GeDoSaTo's post processing options, you can pull off more vibrant/really cool stuff with the looks.

Vibrant

More edge lines

Sin City shader

Alright I was wrong. Port redeemed. I'm a dingus.

Vibrant looks nice. I personally liked the port, it also plays really well with a mouse. Very surprising.

Oh, and you can add your own transparent PNGs as tags using a mod. Super cool:

cpooi

Doesn't Binary Domain still run like crap on AMD cards whenever there are particles?

Also, I love that SSAA (in Catalyst Control Center) works in JSR HD. 8XSSAA works so well with it. Only sad thing about the HD ver (apart from 30fps) is the z-fighting. Wish there was a way to fix that.

Shaneus

Doesn't Binary Domain still run like crap on AMD cards whenever there are particles?

Also, I love that SSAA (in Catalyst Control Center) works in JSR HD. 8XSSAA works so well with it. Only sad thing about the HD ver (apart from 30fps) is the z-fighting. Wish there was a way to fix that.
Last time I ran it, it ran beautifully. BD, that is.

It's been a while, though.

cpooi

Last time I ran it, it ran beautifully. BD, that is.

It's been a while, though.

Hmmm, the last time I played it, my desktop with a HD5870 had framerate drops to less than 30 when explosions occurred, while my laptop with a GTX 660M ran it at a solid 60 fps.

Sajjaja

I finished it last month on my R7 260X and it played just fine.

Judging by its placement in the top sellers lists on Steam and GMG, Valkyria Chronicles has probably already turned a profit for SEGA, yeah? Or is that just wishful thinking?

We gotta get Vanquish next.

vanqj1scc.gif

vanq2qlsbq.gif

I remember someone saying that for any more Rez ports to happen they'd have to check with SEGA, and that Rez HD happened in the first place due to heavy involvement from Microsoft.
I thought Q bought the rights from Sega.

edit, no apparently not
Gamasutra: Yeah, it's very nice. It looks awesome. But it's a really unusual situation. I assume you don't own the IP of Rez, right? Is it still owned by Sega?

TM: It's still Sega.

Gamasutra: It's pretty unusual for someone leaving a company to get the rights back, so that must have been difficult. I've never seen that in Japan before.

TM: Yeah. I think that this is Sega's policy. I'm very happy.
Gamasutra

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Judging by its placement in the top sellers lists on Steam and GMG, Valkyria Chronicles has probably already turned a profit for SEGA, yeah? Or is that just wishful thinking?

We gotta get Vanquish next.

vanqj1scc.gif

vanq2qlsbq.gif

That looks fuckin cooooool. I really hope it comes to PC. Vanquish and Bayonetta are probably my most desired PC ports, right next to Dragon's Dogma.

It looks like Valkyria Chronicles is selling quite nicely. I'd love to see official feedback but I'm not sure if they'll announce it a success or not.

I pray every day for Vanquish PC. The game desperately needs HD and 60fps+.

TaroYamada

It looks like Valkyria Chronicles is selling quite nicely. I'd love to see official feedback but I'm not sure if they'll announce it a success or not.

I pray every day for Vanquish PC. The game desperately needs HD and 60fps+.

Working on whether I can say something or not about sales.

@thread/campaign: awaiting approval from final source on updated post about our role in valkyria chronicles.

TaroYamada

Hey folks, I just sent out a petition update about the launch, with a link to the steam store page.

I think it's unlikely but I'd love to see this game hit #1 :)

From the Valkyria OT, please inform me when you guys begin to receive the email. Hopefully it isn't too late.

Top Bottom