• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro is one of the most satisfying core combat in Action Gaming.

Focus on Skill-based mechanics & dynamic gameplay. Superb verticality. Interesting Loot Variety. Resurrection. Smooth Controls/Movement/Traversal. Deflect & multitude of Counters. Awesome Combos. Supreme Takedown satisfaction.

Topped off with one of the most memorable Boss battles in action gaming. Isshin, Ape, Monk & Owl were fucking awesome.

Visual spectacle of swordplay is goddamn fire.

Unique shit. Up with the best of NGaiden, DOOM, MGS, SF & DMC in terms of GOAT combat.

Hesitation. Is. Defeat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lux R7

yeah, when it came out i did three walkthroughs no stop becouse the game was just too good.
However, for me, the replayability stopped there, but i really enjoyed my time with it.

It could not even stand toe to toe with regular Ninja Gaiden 3 and Devil May Cry 2 and their respective developers were apologetic for the low quality of those releases.

Last edited:
Cool. It's really, really good.
Though I kinda prefer the combat loops and variety of Elden Ring, BB and Souls, I still very much enjoy the focused feel of Sekiro.
It's differences makes it unique.

Guilty_AI

Didn't like it very much, mostly cause the game baited me into thinking i could actually play stealthly, when it'll happily remove stealth from the picture whenever it feels like. Sometimes in rather heavy-handed ways.

The combat also felt a bit too QTE for me "Enemy does this X attack, you have to jump (or dodge, or stomp) at this really small frame window otherwise you're screwed and theres almost nothing else you can realistically do to". This honestly felt like the actual difficulty bottleneck in this game that makes people think its hard, cause everything else is rather manageable and flexible.

Last edited:
I've beaten all darksouls demon souls game but sekiro beat me when it was launched I just couldn't kill it's final boss.
A couple of months ago after finishing elden ring I picked it up again and couldn't kill that butterfly lady. Just said fuck it I can't beat it maybe I'm getting old
Loved the game but Im man enough to admit it I can't beat it

killatopak

My satisfaction with Souls games come from beating bosses using the limited amount of actions I can take. That includes building up my character’s stats, equipment and the discovery of them along with the lore implications. Sure there are lots of variations but it’s not really on par with character action games in terms of the number of abilities they have.

Obviously, things are a bit different for Sekiro. It makes you earn your win by learning and being adept at every skill set the game gives you. Character action games in comparison is like a multiple choice question with 100 choices and like 90 of those choices are correct answers. There’s just so much options to choose from. So much that proficiency on those games isn’t measured by choosing A correct answer. It’s choosing ALL the correct answers. Basically combos.

I think it’s a matter of preference. I personally choose the character action route because I simply like it in terms of eye candy. I wouldn’t deny those who think otherwise.

Bartski

Gold Member
that is true stephen colbert GIF by Obama

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
That would be diablo 3
Devil may cry
God of war
Bayonetta

All far far far better games

Fucking souls games xD

Because Sekiro has no RPG elements which means no creativity or flexibility in your approach to defeat a boss.
Because Sekiro's combat lacks flexibility. Its generally ok with mobs but pretty much all bosses can only really be fought one way.
I think that's it. Plus, I don't think I'm particularly skilled, and I enjoy grinding up if a boss is giving me trouble. Git gud, I know

Last edited:

hlm666

I will never be able to get the combat down. Have the platinum in Demons Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 3, Bloodborne and Elden. Sekiro I just find impenetrable. I’m awful at it.
I struggled for a while myself, I normally use roll on right mouse in all souls games and naturally put dash on there in sekiro. Struggled trying to play it like I play other souls games, in a rage one day after trying to dash out of attacks again only to die I remapped parry to rmb and dash onto where i normally put parry (i rarely parry in souls games). It worked a treat, now every time I instinctively went to dodge an attack I parried it then after a hour or so I "got it" so to speak, it clicked parry everything except the jump/crouch icons indicated by the glyphs. Long story short, you parry and try not to pay attention to health bars because they are a trap.

Thief1987

From games never drop lower than 30 so good luck waiting forever. If theres one game worth full price, its this one.
It's not true, i bought DS3 for 10$ on PS store. It's more Activision thing as they published it, they always very stingy with discounts even for old-ass games.

I've beaten all darksouls demon souls game but sekiro beat me when it was launched I just couldn't kill it's final boss.
A couple of months ago after finishing elden ring I picked it up again and couldn't kill that butterfly lady. Just said fuck it I can't beat it maybe I'm getting old
Loved the game but Im man enough to admit it I can't beat it
You're not the only one. The game broke me too. I managed to painstakingly fight through the final boss and get a win after 2 hours of trying and dying + RNG, and then I put the game down and never touched it again. First soulslike I've never done new game plus on.

I can acknowledge that it was a great game with amazing art, but it simply was not for me.

Banned
Been waiting on a digital sale below 29.99$ but I never see it

the PC version is great btw. if that's an option, and that's more likely to drop.

I played it on my old Ryzen 2600 + GTX1070 PC back when it came out, and it ran at almost max settings at a locked 1440p60fps with no stutters or anything...

ah, the times before #stutterstruggle
season 20 20x6 GIF by South Park

it has a 60fps limit tho, which is the only thing you could criticise.

Last edited:

cireza

Ninja Gaiden is above all. From really aren't as good as Team Ninja, Capcom or Platinum Games in terms of action gameplay.

They can't even make proper 60fps games lol... You can't be excellent at action gameplay when you already struggle to have your games run properly. And Sekiro is their best game, by the way.

Last edited:

Banned
go play the OG's on high level, gameplay is deep just like bayo and dmc not talking about the modern ones

God of War feels so much worse to play than any japanese game, that alone makes listing them laughable to me.

and God of War doesn't even come close to the depth of DMC4 or DMC5... maybe DMC1 lol

SaintALia

Not as responsive as I'd like it to be control wise, and the limited weapon selection isn't great. The only monk stance that I found useful got patched and nerfed as well. I also have issues with the hitboxes sometimes(especially with grabs and larger enemies), but it's been a while since I played.

It's fun, but I don't think I can agree with the OP's premise.

Kokoloko85

Yep, my favourite combat of last gen and probably my favourite alltime, pretty close.
I prefer it to DMC, Ninja Gaiden etc etc. They are great but nothing feels like Sekiro’s sword clashing

Last edited:
Top Bottom