• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes October 14th

DrWong

If what concern the leakers is the eventuality NPD catch them, there're maybe other better solutions to think of than obfuscation, like giving the numbers to a mod only who can then share them, or to an external anonymous source - blog, twitter account... - located in another country (making it harder for NPD to act) where these numbers could be posted (gafers with access to npd data would only need to validate these leaks from time to time)... I mean, it's not like what we care of is exclusivity, right?

Ty4on

I really don't understand how anyone can feel comfortable leaking this type of information. The risk they accept is way to high to appease random strangers.

My view is that Aqua is interested in it and loved sharing this info to discuss it with similarly minded people.
Edit: How could sales of product X vs Y be debated without knowing what they were. How could we laugh at Transworld Surf without knowing it sold 286 units LTD?

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701305
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699964

Her awesome insight into the business side of things really got me into it so I have to thank her immensely. I wouldn't care about the leaks without that.

Opiate

Aqua leaving sucks, but there's no reason to go on a witchhunt. We don't need more negativity in the thread.

Let's lighten by talking about Vita numbers! They actually went up a little this month. Baby steps people.

This is correct. Let's stop the witch hunt, folks.

AniHawk

Aqua leaving sucks, but there's no reason to go on a witchhunt. We don't need more negativity in the thread.

Let's lighten by talking about Vita numbers! They actually went up a little this month. Baby steps people.

they're still down over 50% year over year though.

I have rarely posted in an NPD thread but always found the discussions nice, thought out and sometimes funny (of course the bannings inbetween were always a spectacle). But this was really something else. Aqua didn't owe us shit. Some posters are acting like fucking disneyland tourists where they can waltz in a nice restaurant or hotel and talk shit about food and service because they are wearing mickey mouse hats. I find it sad that the negativity overcame her love for sharing whatever information she could. I fucking hate the gaming community sometime, Nay, Most of the times.

Its going to be a boring few months, but Aqua we all await your glorious return. Put the haters in your ignore bin next time.

Bgamer90

Banned
The reason why I've been following sales so closely during this early part of the gen is because I was tried of the "consoles are doomed" talk.

Aquamarine played a huge role when it came to providing information and stats that I found interesting. Sadly, some people didn't appreciate that and now here we are. I want to say this situation is probably the 7th or 8th time in which I've personally seen knowledgeable/in-depth communication end on a gaming forum due to posters who are rude. Previous examples I've seen include times in which devs gave in-depth information about a game before it released and took feedback from forum posters but then eventually leave because of the name-calling/harassment.

I'm just getting really tired of it overall.

I'm more worried about Aqua then the lack of leaks. Not only do we have to worry that she's okay and bounces back but I hope her or cream aren't found out :\

Agreed.

Brakke

Banned
Aqua's great, I'm super bummed by this thread driving off a friend.

That new policy looked rad! Who wouldn't be excited about getting to do some cloak-and-dagger shit! So much room for cool tricks and jokes.

AniHawk

Well I wasn't being serious. Vita numbers are horrendous.

well they were looked at as being not bad versus last month. i think it's true what some people were saying that demand may be bigger than supply. the main problem for vita moving forward is who among retailers, not consumers, will be ordering units to their stores.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I rarely post in the sales threads as I just love reading the conversations, but that was kind of an embarrassing meltdown over some disagreements on posting etiquette.

Seems like her issues are something beyond just an internet forum so hopefully whatever that happens to be is worked out.

This NPD situation will never makes sense to me ever. If I want to know that current sales of Theatrical releases, Music, Books, DVDs, etc. I can open my local newspaper but Videogame sales? Nope, those are protected like state secrets :/

Wherever you are Aqua I hope that you're doing well. If you don't feel comfortable releasing information then you shouldn't but just having someone involved in the discussions that's knowledgeable about the current sales is incredibly helpful.

this is my first post ever in this forum. a sad one. been following gaf for nearly a year and always thought that it's special to have people who share "forbidden fruit" just for the sake of enthusiast. so, late to the party, respect for aquamarine.
hope she will come back, hope even more she is safe and well. wishing for my own pleasure, the laughs, the tears and the quality of the discussions we will still get numbers, (from wherever it might be).
otherwise npd would have won. hope that wasn't some kind of special psycho-war-astroturf-technique...

Aqua is gone?! What the hell? Take a break and come back and one of the best posters is gone. :( Sad times indeed. The leaks were great, but more than anything I will miss her well thought out posts.

This is a sad day.
Take care of yourself Aqua, I appreciate all your efforts and immense contribution. Hope you'll be fine and that you'll return one day!

Gustaf89

Banned
3cd8a33a.png

Replace Planet with Forum, but yeah :(

Radec

aqua has been back after her self imposed ban, then she posted something in the now locked npd thread. modbot deleted her post and now she's banned again.

this happened like 2 days ago

Shengar

This NPD situation will never makes sense to me ever. If I want to know that current sales of Theatrical releases, Music, Books, DVDs, etc. I can open my local newspaper but Videogame sales? Nope, those are protected like state secrets :/
Yeah, the action they take regarding leaks are really......excessive. I mean, data like this is open to public in Japan, so why the hell not in USA?

aqua has been back after her self imposed ban, then she posted something in the now locked npd thread. modbot deleted her post and now she's banned again.

this happened like 2 days ago

Wierd I saw that post by Aqua you're talking about. Didn't realize it was then deleted though.

stryke

I have a feeling destiny bundle sales will be give ps4 a boost in October's npd.

It should make a sizeable portion of the PS4s sold (I'm going to guess 40-70k). Eventually the appeal of a white PS4 will outlast the appeal of Destiny and Sony needs to make it standalone or cut to normal price.

allan-bh

Don't remember exactly. Something to do with her ban and actions not having anything to do with chartz though and simply being in response to NPD pressures

Strange why she was banned after that post (maybe she requested again) and I don't understand why the thread has been closed.

Strange why she was banned after that post (maybe she requested again) and I don't understand why the thread has been closed.

When I say Aqua was active again I tried to PM her but she or a mod had disabled the ability to PM her. I assume Aqua contacted a mod to lift her ban temporarily so she could say her piece then the thread was locked to stop responses to it or something? I do wonder why her post was removed? Was it at her request or a mod's? :\

It feels weird to talk about Aqua as if she's not in the room like this

prag16

Banned
When I say Aqua was active again I tried to PM her but she or a mod had disabled the ability to PM her. I assume Aqua contacted a mod to lift her ban temporarily so she could say her piece then the thread was locked to stop responses to it or something? I do wonder why her post was removed? Was it at her request or a mod's? :\

It feels weird to talk about Aqua as if she's not in the room like this

She probably ISN'T in the room, at least I'd hope not. If she was still lurking around gaf, especially in sales topics, that kind of contradicts the purpose of her self imposed exile.

She probably ISN'T in the room, at least I'd hope not. If she was still lurking around gaf, especially in sales topics, that kind of contradicts the purpose of her self imposed exile.

I suppose that's true. I just kind of meant that it felt like we were talking about her behind her back etc.

Biker19

Banned
I'm too fragile for this shit right now.

I don't care. I don't fucking care anymore. I'm done. Do whatever the fuck you want. Forget I ever said anything.

It's time to take a break from NeoGAF.

Nice work guys, nice work. I hope that you're all proud of yourselves.

Baseless criticism, this is the archetype of a shit post, can it be any worse?

Aww can't voice criticism and make arguments, gotta resort to simple ad hominem.

Oh, the irony. It's yours & Goldmund's fault for starting this shit in the first place, dude. Own up to it.

Top Bottom