• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes October 14th

Majmun

102. Beysus

i4SGNui5S81Qy.gif

donny2112

That said, the e-mail tag method can still be seen by lurkers.

Takes them off of Google searches, though... NPD could still track back to the original source with enough effort and time, but the more effort and time it takes, the more likely they are not to bother (unless the leak is big enough).

Aquamarine,

Being on NeoGAF a lot can get to you. It's one of the reasons I spend days away at times. It's good to take breathers. :) On what's posted, you have to decide what you want to post and how. People complain about creamsugar's acronyms being hard to understand and the way he does ranges, but it's still all to obfuscate the data and make it that much harder to track it back to the source. You will never make everyone happy, so you just have to decide what your own guidelines for posting will be and be happy with that. As vicissitudes said, us long-timers know the score and anything that keeps us in the game longer is worth some extra effort on our part. :)

To the people who don't like the extra clicks, you can buy NPD and market analysts reports and openly post the sales numbers however you want on the internet. I won't complain. =)

That said, the e-mail tag method can still be seen by lurkers. And even if it weren't possible, the numbers would still appear on other sites within 10s because there are still thousands of people with a neogaf account. You can only be completely hidden with private messages. But if you want to make it a little harder, I understand, it's your ass on the line, not mine. =P

How can the email tag system be seen be lurkers (besides GAF members reposting the numbers on another site)?

Creamsugar has been leaking and the community has been summarizing his leaks for years, an entire generation long, why would GAF get in trouble now? GAF has been exactly that repository and the NPD Group hasn't and probably couldn't do anything about it.

I don't think the email tag system is a good idea, people on other sites will get their numbers eventually, they have members here, they will post it elsewhere, either as information or for comparison's sake, it will even happen here, then what? Numbers will come out eventually. Keeping it exclusive between us is really weird. I think this is just your personal beef with vgshart :p

Please let us continue what the NPD thread has been as usual.

I know so much about the NPD Group.

I know how they've crushed multiple leak sources throughout the past five years...I know the details of what went down in the GameCrate.com leak and how they reprimanded NewEgg.

I know their administration's policy on GAF, and how their administration is getting increasingly intolerant of leaks with every passing month.

I know how their administration is teetering on the verge of contacting sites with cease-and-desist orders to shut leaks down permanently.

It's just an incredibly stressful thing. So when you say "Oh, Aquamarine, it's fine! Creamsugar has been leaking stuff for a generation now!"

You don't realize that organisations change. The NPD Group of 2005 is not the same NPD Group of 2009 is not the same NPD Group of today.

You don't know how stressful it is until you have received letters sent to a large number of clients from NPD HQ warning of "leaks."

The whole process just makes me stir-crazy. I get incredibly wound up and needlessly emotional when people have opposition to ideas like this.

I'm on the verge of never sharing anything ever again every month, but I realize that GAF really benefits from it.

So it puts me in a bind...I'm torn in both directions.

I don't know...it's just very damaging to my mental health. It's infuriating how people say like "That won't do anything! It's pointless and stupid and bla bla." I'm just trying to keep leaks going on for as long as I can.

I know NPD looks at GAF...I know the administration would be pleased if GAF at least TRIED to do something about concealing leaks.

It just....I don't know. I don't care.

I'm going to put all of my shit behind email tags. Do I care if anyone else does it? No. I'm going to do it, and that's it.

I'd like if people tried to obfuscate numbers as much as possible but I just need to tune everything out.

Like Donny2112 said...just take a step back from GAF and calm down.

Goldmund

I've explained my position. I will not be swayed by appeals for sympathy. Please believe me when I say: you have mine. Threatening language ("listen very carefully" and the implied "if people keep opposing me, I'll have to ask for a ban") is unnecessary.

I'm against the course of action on a fundamental intellectual level that has nothing to do with the peculiarities of this case and the specific people and parties involved (actually and emotionally), for the reasons given in a later post. My position is in no way intended to dictate how others are to behave.

If you feel it is the right thing to do (even if you'd much rather do it a different way), why should dissent stop you? You should hear it, dispute it and continue. I feel it's wrong and said as much, so no matter how much work, knowledgeability and emotional strain goes into it, I won't be very impressed.

If "childish" really offended you, I'll gladly take it back and hereby apologize for the general acerbity of my original reaction.

I've explained my position. I will not be swayed by appeals for sympathy. Please believe me when I say: you have mine. Threatening language ("listen very carefully" and the implied "if people keep opposing me, I'll have to ask for a ban") is unnecessary.

I'm against the course of action on a fundamental intellectual level that has nothing to do with the peculiarities of this case and the specific people and parties involved (actually and emotionally), for the reasons given in a later post. My position is in no way intended to dictate how others are to behave.

If you feel it is the right thing to do (even if you'd much rather do it a different way), why should dissent stop you? You should hear it, dispute it and continue. I feel it's wrong and said as much, so no matter how much work, knowledgeability and emotional strain goes into it, I won't be very impressed.

If "childish" really offended you, I'll gladly take it back and hereby apologize for the general acerbity of my original reaction.

I'm too fragile for this shit right now.

I don't care. I don't fucking care anymore. I'm done. Do whatever the fuck you want. Forget I ever said anything.

It's time to take a break from NeoGAF.

This is why we can't have nice things.

I hope you find your way back to us refreshed, a lot of us do appreciate your contribution in terms of both data and insight.

crazyprac

Wow... Was reading an off topic thread and saw aqua banned. Ppl really got pissed off about the emails tag? Lol. Feel better aqua and get back whenever. (Please be back by next npd, always a pleasure to get numbers from you) :p

On Demand

Banned
I'm sorry, but that's pathetic. If trouble could otherwise not be avoided I'd rather have no numbers than resort to such childishness. GAF isn't exactly an exclusive club and it shouldn't be, either way.

Do you know why that has to be done!!!!!!???????

Take one guess! Just one!!! She's doing that for a reason!

Is this your first time in an NPD thread?

I wonder what you think of creamsugar's blank pie charts.

rjinaz

That's a darn shame. Hope you feel better Aqua, I always looked forward to your contributions in these number threads.

Politeness and social grace should still be used even on the internet. Some could take a lesson from Thumper. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

Now that thread activity has died down, I decided to glance through the thread, notice a meltdown here and there, one of leakers has lost his source and the other is banned.

What the hell.

Edit: And to top it off, I did absolutely terrible in the rankings.

Pain

Banned
Take care Aqua. It's going to be tough not getting holiday leaks, takes all the fun out of NPD. Hope to see you back soon!

(Just had a thought, how hard could it be to stay anonymous with leaks? Go to a random coffee shop once a month and create a new user account on Gaf specifically for leaks and never log into that account except from some coffee shop or public wi-fi spot.)

Take care Aqua. It's going to be tough not getting holiday leaks, takes all the fun out of NPD. Hope to see you back soon!

(Just had a thought, how hard could it be to stay anonymous with leaks? Go to a random coffee shop once a month and create a new user account on Gaf specifically for leaks and never log into that account except from some coffee shop or public wi-fi spot.)
That's...not really viable, especially due to the approval times and the fact that to verify a seemingly random junior would require approval by the mods.

Curufinwe

Creamsugar has been leaking and the community has been summarizing his leaks for years, an entire generation long, why would GAF get in trouble now? GAF has been exactly that repository and the NPD Group hasn't and probably couldn't do anything about it.

I don't think the email tag system is a good idea, people on other sites will get their numbers eventually, they have members here, they will post it elsewhere, either as information or for comparison's sake, it will even happen here, then what? Numbers will come out eventually. Keeping it exclusive between us is really weird. I think this is just your personal beef with vgshart :p

Please let us continue what the NPD thread has been as usual.

God damn this was was a terrible post.

Pennywise

God damn this was was a terrible post.
There might be a good reason for that junior title with 25k posts....

Anyway, already looking forward to the moment when Aqua is back. What a shame that some people couldn't take what was given and made these discussions special. These precaution idea was pretty good and now we lost a valuable discussion partner with good insight on alot of topics...

Saw in a another thread and knew this thread probably had something to do with it. Aqua Noooooo

This is why we can't have nice things.

I hope you find your way back to us refreshed, a lot of us do appreciate your contribution in terms of both data and insight.

Aside from that Aqua is a cool member. Please return soon :)

Welfare

Aqua, what you and Cream did were amazing. Sad that you have gone :(

So did people just not want to quote? What the fuck.

NolbertoS

Damn, missed out on Aquagate. :(. Seriously some guys really need to chill. Aqua gave you guys an inch wtih some NPD numbers and now, you want a yard worth of information. Doesn't work that way IRL. As a fellow financial analyst, not related to the banking or gaming sector, you'll br missed. Hope you come back. Taking a break from GAF is sometimes best.

delta_reg

Take a good break Aqua. While merely a Junior, I think I speak for most of Gaf when I say your health comes first, and we wouldn't want you to be depressed because of fans wanting specific sales numbers for videogames and a minority not being satisfied with how they were provided, something that carries a big risk even giving out. Whatever you do, make sure you do it your way with what's best and most comfortable for you. :)

teiresias

Gotta love how Canis and Goldmund have gone silent now that they drove someone to a self-imposed ban simply because they couldn't bear to quote a post to see information.

NeoGAF Prediction Results - September 2014

Units

29. Trust me, I'm a PhD - 143,000

I am OK with this for a first try^^ And I apologize, Donny, for messing up the dashes; I will not make that mistake next month^^ Thanks for all your hard work!

Edit: Just saw about Aquamarine... it is her info, so she gets to do whatever she wants with it. She is helping us out for free after all. I hope she is well and comes back soon...

Top Bottom