• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Play Scores

Cover:

Heavenly Sword

Editorial:

Halverson clarifying his stance that he is not anti-Nintendo, but anti-weak Wii efforts.

Embarassing Halversonism of the Ish: "...shooting the poop with Jason Rubin at Comic Con he tells me that Drake really grows on you; that the whole reason behnd (sic) his John Doe design is so that players will assume the role. If that's the case I mesh better with characters of the female persuasion so..."

Interviews:

Apparently Ninja Theory's whole freakin' team. Wow. Good stuff.

Huxley's producer KJ Kang and composer Kevin Riepl

Reviews:

Heavenly Sword: 10

Eternal Sonata: 9

Naruto Uzumaki Chronicles 2: 7

.hack GU vol. 3: 9

Moto GP 2007: 9.5 GOTM (¿Que?)

Stuntman Ignition: 7

Persona 3 Fes: 8 stand-alone, 10 complete package

Boku no Natsuyasumi 3: 8

Dragon Quest Swords: 6.5

Killer

Banned
WHERE'S BIOSHOCK?

BIOSHOCK BIOSHOCKBIOSHOCKBIOSHOCBIOSHOCKKBIOSHOCK BIOSHOCKBIOSHOCKBIOSHOCBIOSHOCKKBIOSHOCK BIOSHOCKBIOSHOCKBIOSHOCBIOSHOCKKBIOSHOCK BIOSHOCKBIOSHOCKBIOSHOCBIOSHOCKK

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

:lol

Play can't even use their entire review number scale, let alone figure out which score is greater.

traveler

Not Wario
Heavenly Sword getting really nice scores. Looks like it might be able to dethrone
Kung Fu Chaos

Edit: What do they say about it? I really want to hear indepth comments on the battle system. Preview impressions have hinted it was God of War Lite on molasses + Stances - Jump and I haven't seen anything to assuage this. Can you list the positives and negatives?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Hmmm they generally give really high scores, yet Dragon Quest: Swords got a 6.5. Does that mean it's actually really good?

traveler

Not Wario
vilmer_ said:
Maybe they are just game happy. Persona pack is spot on.

Can you go into detail on the HS review? This is the second really positive review we've seen for it.

Edit: Oops! Saw your avatar and assumed you were the OP. Stupid P3 avatars taking over the forum. :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
PleoMax said:
9.5 was game of the month because the two 10s cancelled eachother.

10$ saying that was their reasoning.

I was thinking something like this, actually:

10 = 1 + 0 = 1
9.5 = 9 + 5 = 14

14> 1

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
TrueReligion said:
What a shitty magazine.

Have you ever read it?

I'd also just like to point out that I love Heather Campbell, but cannot stand behind her 9 for Eternal Sonata. The game is a 7.

There's also a review for Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! in this issue by the by, a 7.5.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Error said:
the persona 3 pack means. FES+Original game=10

I think that is a retarded way to review the game in any region that doesn't have FES.

So if FES turns an 8 into a 10, what if they made a FES2, would the game suddenly be a 12?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Woo-Fu said:
I think that is a retarded way to review the game in any region that doesn't have FES.

So if FES turns an 8 into a 10, what if they made a FES2, would the game suddenly be a 12?

The review clarifies it: As a standalone expansion, FES is an 8; the integrated version with main P3 is a 10.

Any expanded version/enhanced version presents a problem, of course. Ninja Gaiden got a lot of 10s...but what to rate Ninja Gaiden Black?

KINGMOKU

SatelliteOfLove said:
Cover:

Heavenly Sword

Editorial:

Halverson clarifying his stance that he is not anti-Nintendo, but anti-weak Wii efforts.

Embarassing Halversonism of the Ish: "...shooting the poop with Jason Rubin at Comic Con he tells me that Drake really grows on you; that the whole reason behnd (sic) his John Doe design is so that players will assume the role. If that's the case I mesh better with characters of the female persuasion so..."

Interviews:

Apparently Ninja Theory's whole freakin' team. Wow. Good stuff.

Huxley's producer KJ Kang and composer Kevin Riepl

Reviews:

Eternal Sonata: 9

Naruto Uzumaki Chronicles 2: 7

Stuntman Ignition: 7

Persona 3 Fes: 8 stand-alone, 10 complete package

Boku no Natsuyasumi 3: 8

Dragon Quest Swords: 6.5
Lowest score? He's got some splainin' to do!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Aokage said:
The review clarifies it: As a standalone expansion, FES is an 8; the integrated version with main P3 is a 10.

...but there isn't a non-Japanese region FES, why are they reviewing something we can't buy anyways? If they want to pull that shit reviewing the Japanese version, fine.

They're using their review to make an editorial comment about the publisher. I consider that shitty journalism.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
...but there isn't a non-Japanese region FES, why are they reviewing something we can't buy anyways? If they want to pull that shit reviewing the Japanese version, fine.

They're using their review to make an editorial comment about the publisher. I consider that shitty journalism
they review imports sometimes.

Aokage said:
Have you ever read it?

I'd also just like to point out that I love Heather Campbell, but cannot stand behind her 9 for Eternal Sonata. The game is a 7.

There's also a review for Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! in this issue by the by, a 7.5.
Yes, I have--the most recent one I've read was the Odin Sphere one.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Razoric said:

:lol :lol :lol

:(

f u a-hole!!! it'll be good!

these are like the kinds of scores you get when you get someone who likes the game to review it. when you get someone that hates a game to review it, of course it'll be less than what it could be

PLAY is a great mag. I read it along with EDGE, GamesTM, and EGM.

They may overrate games, but they're nothing if not genuine. Amid all the mud-slinging that games take from critics and forum-goers for relatively minor problems, its nice to have a magazine that focuses on the positives of a game and weighs the entire experience as a whole. I think anyone that looks at PLAY reviews purely for the number is missing out on what the magazine really offers.

Furthermore, they cover the games I freaking care about. I can find Halo 3 anywhere, thanks. Id rather pick up a magazine to see page after page of hi-res screens, original art, and interviews with the developers behind games like Odin Sphere, Heavenly Sword, Bioshock and the like.

Victrix

*beard*
dslgunstar said:
PLAY is a great mag. I read it along with EDGE, GamesTM, and EGM.

They may overrate games, but they're nothing if not genuine. Amid all the mud-slinging that games take from critics and forum-goers for relatively minor problems, its nice to have a magazine that focuses on the positives of a game and weighs the entire experience as a whole. I think anyone that looks at PLAY reviews purely for the number is missing out on what the magazine really offers.

Play is a fun magazine to read, and the graphic design is generally wonderful. They glorify video game art, and I respect that.

But their review scores are hilarious and pointless.

Top Bottom