• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Play Scores

mollipen

Woo-Fu said:
...but there isn't a non-Japanese region FES, why are they reviewing something we can't buy anyways? If they want to pull that shit reviewing the Japanese version, fine.

They're using their review to make an editorial comment about the publisher. I consider that shitty journalism.

Do you even have a clue what you're talking about?

Nevermind, I already know the answer. Not sure why I even asked.

Linkzg said:
questioning this magazines sanity aside, FES is really something that would bump an amazing game up to perfect?!

I'm not saying this is why I've never given a 10 (I've never played a game that I thought deserved one), but why I'd be hesitant if I hit a point where I'd want to give one: even though our ratings scale says 10 = "Perfection," no way can I agree with that. There has never been, nor will there ever be, a game that's perfect and couldn't be improved.

So I disagree with our label for that particular score.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Error said:
they review imports sometimes.

Are you saying that the issue of Play that was published in the same month Persona 3 was released in North America has a review of the import version?

shidoshi said:
Do you even have a clue what you're talking about?

Nevermind, I already know the answer. Not sure why I even asked.

Well, that was a well-thought out defense. Perhaps next you'll be telling me that your dad can beat up my dad.

I the 'whole package' distinction to mean the SE that includes the art-book, etc, but I dont have the magazine in front of me. Do they explicitly state that the 'whole package' refers to FES?

mollipen

Woo-Fu said:
Well, that was a well-thought out defense. Perhaps next you'll be telling me that your dad can beat up my dad.

You said: "If they want to pull that shit reviewing the Japanese version, fine."

Which... is exactly what happened.

July issue had U.S. Persona 3 preview.
August issue had U.S. Persona 3 review.
September issue had Japanese Persona 3 FES review in the imports section.

Woo-Fu

Banned
shidoshi said:
You said: "If they want to pull that shit reviewing the Japanese version, fine."

Which... is exactly what happened.

July issue had U.S. Persona 3 preview.
August issue had U.S. Persona 3 review.
September issue had Japanese Persona 3 FES review in the imports section.

...and I said it was fine, did I not? Perhaps I should gush, would that help?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Play's review scores are generally worthless. It's seriously like they operate on a 8-10 scale sometimes. And if they really hype the crap out of a game during a "preview" or cover story, you can pretty well bet it'll get a good score. I don't hate the mag, in fact I used to have a subscription as I think it's the best looking game mag by far, but much like graphics when they come to games... :D

mollipen

Woo-Fu said:
...and I said it was fine, did I not? Perhaps I should gush, would that help?

Let me remind you of what you said, so that maybe you'll understand why I didn't take so kindly to your post.

...but there isn't a non-Japanese region FES, why are they reviewing something we can't buy anyways? If they want to pull that shit reviewing the Japanese version, fine.

They're using their review to make an editorial comment about the publisher. I consider that shitty journalism.

Asking you to gush, and frowning at your "shitty journalism" sling (directed as something we weren't even doing) are a tad different.

MrDaravon

Victrix said:
Play is a fun magazine to read, and the graphic design is generally wonderful. They glorify video game art, and I respect that.

But their review scores are hilarious and pointless.

QFT. I still pick it up now and then and enjoy it, but their scoring is so CONSISTENTLY fucking ridiculous.

karasu

underfooter said:
So Heavenly Sword got a ten....why isn't anyone talking about that?
they are. When a highly anticipated ps3 game gets a high score they don't confront it directly. They attempt to discredit the publication instead.. :lol

karasu said:
they are. When a highly anticipated ps3 game gets a high score they don't confront it directly. They attempt to discredit the publication instead.. :lol

I would love to see someone actually prove PLAY has credibility.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
karasu said:

It's play.

Barnolde

Banned
Why even post Play scores? The reviews are the worst part of the magazine, they rate from 8.5 - 10 unless they had to pay for the game.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
dai said:
ovnt.gif

TIME FOR THE PERIOD PADS!

Ponn

Banned
Play is great to read and as a game magazine is one of the most entertaining to read. Its the only game magazine I actually pay for a subscription, cover games I like, great interviews and previews and I like their extras. I just ignore their review scores, they are definitely the worst to gauge games. Much better to read their reviews and judge for yourself.

I don't want to brag about a magazine I know nothing of, but these scores indeed seem very high across the board.

Edit: wait, it's them who gave Sonic nex-gen a 10?

PleoMax

Banned
karasu said:

Of course, that must be it.

Haunted

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
sonic%20the%20hedgehog-xbox%20360.jpg

Play Magazine: "You simply can't ask for more out of an action game. Mission accomplished. Sonic is born anew."
:eek:

and karasu thinks this thread is anti-Sony. :lol

rakka

Souldriver said:
I don't want to brag about a magazine I know nothing of, but these scores indeed seem very high across the board.

Edit: wait, it's them who gave Sonic nex-gen a 10?

No, the reviewer gave it a 9.5.

Azrael

Who reviewed Sonic and gave it an 8.5? I'm going to take a wild guess that it was Dave Halverson? Just checked, and surprise, it was.He's never been a trustworthy reviewer, especially where platformers are concerned.

Play has good critics like Casey Loe working for them, and dismissing their reviews because they're in the same magazine as Dave Halverson's is unjustified.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Woo-Fu said:

It's a review of the Japanese version and is clearly marked as such; Play has a section called Play Japan I do devoted entirely to imports.

I don't think people reading this thread understand how P3:FES was sold in Japan. It was released as an expansion only, containing just Chapter Aigis, which is about 30 hours long, and also in an über-version integrated with P3 proper (containing numerous enhancements to "Chapter Yourself", by the by). It really should be clear: The 30-hour standalone expansion disc got an 8, the full game got a 10. They are two different skus with two different price points.

I fully understand the criticism of Play's review scale. In defense of that, all I can say is that all of our editors simply love the hell out of video games. However, the magazine isn't just scores: The writing is, in my opinion, the best in any American magazine, our interviews are excellent, we cover the hell out of games no other magazine would touch, and our design is (once again, my personal opinion only) world-class. If I didn't write for Play, I would buy it.

traveler

Not Wario
Hey guys, since we have so many issues with the numbers, how about we actually focus on, you know, the text instead? On that note, can we PLEASE get some info on the HS review. I'd really like to hear what they had to say about it and not just what number they assigned to it.

nategc

Banned
karasu said:

WTF....... you mean how all the sony fans discredited EGM for shitting on lair? give me a break with that flip flop shit please, you can't tell me heavenly sword is worth a ten after playing the demo, and i don't even think gamerankings will even add play scores with sonic getting a 9 from the mag.

and some of you actually stood by the play scores in the lair thread and said egm and 1up is the worst publication they had ever witness....Really, why, because they gave lair a bad score?

if you look at some of the games on that list, i think they score from 10 to 1, not 1-10

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
moku said:
Lowest score? He's got some splainin' to do!

I'd be happy to 'splain why I think DQS is a 6.5, if anyone cares. And remember: On my scale a 6 is better than average, a 6.5, obviously, more so. It's not a terrible game, just a very disappointing one.

jmdajr said:
I like play magazine, but after that sonic review, kinda hard to trust em now.
If it were just one review, it could be an isolated incident. Unfortunately, Halverson and a few particular that have followed him over the years have a long (10+ years by now for some of them) history of handing out really high scores like candy. As I've said before, I don't doubt they are honest reviews, but I do think the refreshingly optimistic outlook on games coming from Dave tends to energize some of the reviewers into looking for fun over flaws.

Sometimes this is good (and it's certainly more pleasant to read), but sometimes you'd like to know the flaws. That's why I will generally never take their word completely on a game, though they have led me to investigate games I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise. I guess I take their word as a mild nudging to investigate further?

Narcosis

Seeing 9s and 10s for Heavenly Sword, Eternal Sonata and Persona 3 is cool since I myself am enjoying P3 quite a bit and have the other 2 on my must play list. Even if Play tends to review high on the scales for most games at least the enthusiasm they show for these games means people who are showing any interest should probably check them out.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Not sure which has caused more fervor; Halverson's 9.5 (now 8.5) or Gerstmann's 8.8. :lol

I'd love to see a Neo GAF review blog so people can put themselves out there and start reviewing games. Then see how many stick around to do it after threads bashing them to hell and back.

Kintaro said:
Not sure which has caused more fervor; Halverson's 9.5 (now 8.5) or Gerstmann's 8.8. :lol

I'd love to see a Neo GAF review blog so people can put themselves out there and start reviewing games. Then see how many stick around to do it after threads bashing them to hell and back.
I once had approximately 1400 Sonic/SEGA fans (almost all of whom hadn't played it yet) crawl up my ass for giving Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast, Japanese release) an 8.0/10.

There are no horrors you can visit upon me worse than that.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Segata Sanshiro said:
I once had approximately 1400 Sonic/SEGA fans (almost all of whom hadn't played it yet) crawl up my ass for giving Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast, Japanese release) an 8.0/10.

There are no horrors you can visit upon me worse than that.

I hope many Exploding Judo throws were dealt. :D

Top Bottom