• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Play Scores

Second said:
Dragon Quest Swords must be a terrible game then, considering Play gives 90% of the games a 9+ score.
So it would seem. If only the reviewer posted here, perhaps in this very thread, that he could elaborate on his review.

But alas, we must remain forever in the dark.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
SatelliteOfLove said:
Embarassing Halversonism of the Ish: "...shooting the poop with Jason Rubin at Comic Con he tells me that Drake really grows on you; that the whole reason behnd (sic) his John Doe design is so that players will assume the role. If that's the case I mesh better with characters of the female persuasion so..."

what? did halverson really mean to say that? he better identifies with female characters? so his fixation on big titty animu girls isn't masturbatory so much as it's a sort of transgender role playing? WOW

Halverson lost me with his gushing Devil May Cry 2 review, where he gave it a perfect score and called Lucia's side of the story "a cruel sonnet of self-realization wrapped in a story steeped in religious overtones".

Decado said:
"Persona 3 Fes: 8 stand-alone, 10 complete package"

What's the difference?

Read the fucking thread

Aokage said:
It's a review of the Japanese version and is clearly marked as such; Play has a section called Play Japan I do devoted entirely to imports.

I don't think people reading this thread understand how P3:FES was sold in Japan. It was released as an expansion only, containing just Chapter Aigis, which is about 30 hours long, and also in an über-version integrated with P3 proper (containing numerous enhancements to "Chapter Yourself", by the by). It really should be clear: The 30-hour standalone expansion disc got an 8, the full game got a 10. They are two different skus with two different price points.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
karasu said:
they are. When a highly anticipated ps3 game gets a high score they don't confront it directly. They attempt to discredit the publication instead.. :lol

Yeah, ok. Heavenly Sword may very well be the greatest game of all time, but seeing as Play seems to grant that title to an average of about four titles a month, I'd wait on a more refutable rag.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Segata Sanshiro said:
So it would seem. If only the reviewer posted here, perhaps in this very thread, that he could elaborate on his review.

But alas, we must remain forever in the dark.

Ideally I'd like people to read the review first, of course.

And it is FAR from bias. You cannot find a greater Dragon Quest fan than I. I played IV in Japanese before it came out in English at like age 11, ditto V and VI with no US releases, own Slime plushes, the ultra-exhorbitant limited Abel anime series DVD box, my keychain is the DQIII Magic Key, I have every related music CD (I love Sugiyama so much I sought out the pop music he did in the 60s)...I could go on. No, the reason DQS disappointed me so much is precisely because I'm a DQ fan.

Or maybe the poster meant Nintendo bias. It's no secret I prefer the HD systems, but I can absolutely appreciate a Wii game of high quality in a platform-agnostic way. For instance, even though it was a port, I worship the Wii RE4. Such an elegant, elegant control scheme.

Edit: Stupid typo.

Steroyd

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Halverson lost me with his gushing Devil May Cry 2 review, where he gave it a perfect score and called Lucia's side of the story "a cruel sonnet of self-realization wrapped in a story steeped in religious overtones".

What? :lol

v0yce

dslgunstar said:
PLAY is a great mag. I read it along with EDGE, GamesTM, and EGM.

They may overrate games, but they're nothing if not genuine. Amid all the mud-slinging that games take from critics and forum-goers for relatively minor problems, its nice to have a magazine that focuses on the positives of a game and weighs the entire experience as a whole. I think anyone that looks at PLAY reviews purely for the number is missing out on what the magazine really offers.

Furthermore, they cover the games I freaking care about. I can find Halo 3 anywhere, thanks. Id rather pick up a magazine to see page after page of hi-res screens, original art, and interviews with the developers behind games like Odin Sphere, Heavenly Sword, Bioshock and the like.

Totally agree. Play is easily the best US mag out IMO. They like games (go figure) and make no appologies about it.

Victrix said:
But their review scores are hilarious and pointless.

Whoose aren't? The jokers who want you to think they actually have a distinction between a 8.7 and 8.9? Or even a 9.5 and 10? These numbers are all pretty silly and seem to only serve as ammunition for forum fighters.

And I know it may sound crazy but I'd say Play's score for Sonic is a lot more accurate than the 4s and 5s the other pubs threw out. At least GI said that Sonic fans would like it (which Dave is a big Sonic fan). IMO its easily more enjoyable than Secret Rings which got higher scores across the board.

Mamesj

Banned
gotta agree with every complaint about play's high scores. made me stop caring about the magazine altogether. I think it was the high score for the anime Gilgamesh that really pissed me off (they also give out straight 9s for anime.) Made me actually spend money on that trash series.

I remember reading an interview with Tomonobu Itagaki about Ninja Gaiden Black in Play. Dave Halverson was gushing about how he loved the first game and said something along the lines of: "We gave out seven 9s that issue, but yours got the 10." :lol I wish I could remember the exact quote...

JDSN

Banned
Any other Halversonisms?

That Devil May Cry 2 one is all sorts of great, its like PR beyond the PR. :lol

Someone really needs to break out some issues of Gamefan for some truly epic Halversonisms. I remember reading his write up of Battle Arena Toshinden for the Playstation and it was like Jesus appeared in his backyard from a UFO piloted by Chewbacca.

Mamesj

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Someone really needs to break out some issues of Gamefan for some truly epic Halversonisms. I remember reading his write up of Battle Arena Toshinden for the Playstation and it was like Jesus appeared in his backyard from a UFO piloted by Chewbacca.

:lol Thanks, I needed that laugh. To be fair, everybody was gushing about Toshinden though...even after playing Virtua Fighter and Tekken, which were clearly superior in every way.

(on a side note, can anyone see my avatar or does it just say "Mamesj's avatar" under my name? I can't see it, makes it hard to find my posts.)

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Hitler Stole My Potato said:

I don't think that was Dave.

I think...yes, I am man enough to admit...I think it was me. In my defense I was 15 or 16 years old at the time. A fully texture-mapped, 3-D fighter at home (recall that VF2 was still very new in arcades) just blew my young mind, and I gushed...far too much.

I accept the shame.

Top Bottom