• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

Ugh, almost finished a recap for the first XWF episode but accidentally closed the wrong tab. New appreciation for Stro and the rest of you guys who do it. If for whatever reason you guys want to watch a train wreck I would highly suggest it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ugh, almost finished a recap for the first XWF episode but accidentally closed the wrong tab. New appreciation for Stro and the rest of you guys who do it. If for whatever reason you guys want to watch a train wreck I would highly suggest it.

I know Chrome remembers the contents of a field if you re-open the tab through recently closed tabs, actually.

somedevil

NXT just announced this:

WWE NXT has announced that Kenta will be doing his first in-ring promo at tonight's live event from Cocoa, Florida

Interesting. How much English can he speak? Is this a test run for his tv debut because they have been doing the 4 way match at the house shows. Its been said to be match of the year quality.

NXT just announced this:

Interesting. How much English can he speak? Is this a test run for his tv debut because they have been doing the 4 way match at the house shows. Its been said to be match of the year quality.
What four way match? The E is really accelerating the time table with Veronica out of the picture.....

somedevil

What four way match? The E is really accelerating the time table with Veronica out of the picture.....

The Zayn, Neville, Tyson and Breeze match that's the main event. They have been doing the match a lot on there house show.

Also it seems Stuart Tomlinson the goal keeper from England NXT name is Hugo Knox. Okay.

Ithil

NXT just announced this:

He speaks some English, but nowhere near fluent. He said when he was signed he would be learning it full time and hoped to be fluent as quickly as possible.

Unlike Sin Cara who just never bothered.

Thorakai

He speaks some English, but nowhere near fluent. He said when he was signed he would be learning it full time and hoped to be fluent as quickly as possible.

Unlike Sin Cara who just never bothered.

Good for him. Hopefully the fans don't do some racist bullshit like chant "What?" or cheer for Goku or some nonsense.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Rank the top NXT 5-8 "prospects" for WWE, along with predict their career height (jobber, mid-card, upper mid-card, main event, superstar). I'm curious to know where everyone stands since NXT is about to enter what I would call "season 2" with a bunch of new talent and call-ups happening soon. For example, Vaudevillains are going to be jobbers while I believe Enzo & Cassady have a chance to break out and be upper mid-card if used properly.

Kalisto, for example, could be a superstar (market/merch wise, maybe not WWE champ) for WWE.

So I guess, feel free to rank and predict the following talent if you are up to it: Kalisto, Zayn, Neville, Enzo, KENTA, Steen, Devitt, Breeze, Dempsey, Mojo, Ascension, Vaudevillains, Graves (before concussions), Willie Mack, Noah Kekoa, and Solomon Crowe (Sami Callihan). I'm not including the lesser used talent that are a bit more green than the likes of Mack, Kekoa, and Crowe. I don't think too highly of Parker, Jordan, Dawkins, Dillinger, and the rest besides jobbing as of right now.

Same goes with the women (they need a few more to fill out the roster): Bayley, Becky, Charlotte, Bliss, and Banks.

My top 5:
1. KENTA (main event if used properly)
2. Kalisto (upper mid-card, could easily replace Rey)
3. Enzo (mid-card, one of the most fun on the microphone)
4. Devitt (main event if used properly, most likely upper mid-card in the end)
5. Breeze (mid-card, with youth on his side, he could evolve into the main event like HBK)

For the women's side, Charlotte should be a future Diva's champ and great heel. I'm not sold on Bayley yet in terms of getting over with the crowd, but Banks plays the heel well, too. Both Charlotte and Banks would be great to insert into the WWE scene with AJ and Paige (and, of course, Natalya).

tumblr_nb4q0seS0g1qivspno1_400.gif

strobogo

Banned
man this dungeon of doom stuff is so wacky but with the exception of Kevin Sullivan they all seem to be really into it for some reason

Sullivan looks like he wants to die in all of it and that is more entertaining than the storyline itself.

Look at this stylish mother fucker. #youwishyoucouldpullthisoff

iF8WVzo3lOmhZ.gif

I don't think the Vaudevillains are getting the call-up with this current gimmick. I don't think they're getting called up for a while.

-Zayn can be a main event guy. He's a pretty complete package.
-Neville is upper midcard at best, but he can stay there if he's as good as he's been since becoming the NXT champ.
-Kalisto can be an upper midcarder with maybe the occasional ME. Will definitely get good pushes and move merch
-Steen - i dunno, he seems like he could reach good heights
-Breeze- solid midcarder, which in WWE main roster terms means jobber to the stars
-Enzo - comedy jobber
-Bull - comedy jobber
-Mojo - released
-Ascension - tag team champions by default (again)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They should do twin magic with Aiden and Cesaro since they aren't going to give Cesaro his damn Statham gimmick.

They should do twin magic with Aiden and Cesaro since they aren't going to give Cesaro his damn Statham gimmick.

The New Gymini.
When they inevitably breakup the team they can just pull quality content from the current Bella scripts and Aiden can sing about Cesaro perishing in the womb or something.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
-Zayn will get Christian treatment unless he dons the mask again.
-Neville won't soar past midcard
-Kalisto will always float near the top due to merch sales.
-Steen, Indie darling, don't know much about him
-Breeze will be paired with Fandango and never get his gimmick over.
-Enzo could be a solid midcarder maybe higher if they let him use that mic to get over and let him win.
-Bull will be used to make fun of Rusev ala Gillberg.
-Ascension is fat.
-Mojo will tag team with Ryback
The New Gymini.
When they inevitably breakup the team they can just pull quality content from the current Bella scripts and Aiden can sing about Cesaro perishing in the womb or something.
I see you've already got about 6 months of content that could be stretched for 8.

strobogo

Banned
No way is Kalisto going to be near the top. Dude is smaller than Rey and isn't coming in with 7 years of national TV time with tons of highlights to hype him up with, in addition to being one of the best in the world when Rey came in in 2002. Merch doesn't mean dick. Ryder was one of the top sellers for a while and the best he got was a US title run and shitty angle with Cena and Kane. No where near the top.

If Rey had debuted on Raw in 2002, his career would have turned out completely different. He would have been a mid card guy for life, probably in a feud with Stevie Richards on Heat.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Baron Corbin:

It seems he is moving up in NXT house shows. This is how he looks now:
New gimmick: Son of Kane.
No way is Kalisto going to be near the top. Dude is smaller than Rey and isn't coming in with 7 years of national TV time with tons of highlights to hype him up with, in addition to being one of the best in the world when Rey came in in 2002. Merch doesn't mean dick. Ryder was one of the top sellers for a while and the best he got was a US title run and shitty angle with Cena and Kane. No where near the top.

If Rey had debuted on Raw in 2002, his career would have turned out completely different. He would have been a mid card guy for life, probably in a feud with Stevie Richards on Heat.
What I meant by near the top was strong booking and being tossed in random main events like Rey was. He likely won't ever hold the big one. Besides that wasn't Sin Cara a top merch. seller?

Caspel

-Breeze- solid midcarder, which in WWE main roster terms means jobber to the stars

I'm fine with that. He's only 26 as of this moment, so I think he is called up soon, he'd be the youngest member on the show. I do think he can grow into a top heel for the show. At this moment, I think he could easily fill the role that Miz is trying to fill, but do it much better and attract the heat (or in new WWE terms, cheers since the crowd cheers often for the heels) WWE would want.

I think his ceiling is much higher since I think many don't value him too high besides being Fandango 2.0.

EDIT:

Yeah, but with Del Rio gone, Rey on his way out, and Sin Cara a failed experiment multiple times, WWE is bound to try and re-appeal to the Hispanic crowd. Kalisto is the only option that I am aware of.

Ithil

I would have to put a baseline of "no major interference from Vince or Kevin Dunn" which is of course a miracle. Basically no career derailing "let's test their loyalty" jobbing out or anything, just a fair use of their skills. In that, the top prospects:

1. Devitt - Definitely a complete package, can easily be a top star
2. Sami Zayn - Another complete package, and has a lot of support from HHH
3. Kalisto - If they don't put a ceiling on him for his tiny size, he has the talent and age to be a new Rey, close to the top of the card and a real merch monster.
4. Kevin Steen - A great wrestler and talker, but his future depends completely on how he holds up in training. If he loses loads of weight and gets more jacked, he can go right to the top but if he stays fat he'll be in WWE's bad books and get a ceiling put on him.
5 - Adrian Neville - Should be a mainstay in the upper midcard for years to come. While he's not super charismatic, he's so spectacular in the ring that he can overcome that.

Others:
- Kenta has all the potential to be a big star, but that relies entirely on whether or not he is allowed break the mold of the Japanese stars in WWE where they've been treated as jokes or stereotypes. He has all the talent needed, anyway, but that's rarely the issue.
- Tyler Breeze's model gimmick is naturally a midcard type thing, but he's already taken it way further in developmental than one would logically expect, so if he can tweak it over time to be more serious he might go higher.
- Baron Corbin is a rookie and hasn't "properly" started on TV yet, but HHH put him over and he's apparently gotten pretty good at house shows. A wait and see.
- Enzo Amore and Colin Cassidy. Your new Edge & Christian perhaps, or New Age Outlaws.

For the women, the most promising seem to be Charlotte, Bayley, Sasha Banks (unexpectedly, she kinda sucked at everything until recently) and Becky Lynch. Alexa Bliss is green as grass and about as tall, but she does have a real spark and charisma so she has potential, but it'll take a while.

The no hopers:

Bull - Redundant with Kevin Steen incoming, who is superior on all levels. If he even makes it out of NXT, he will inevitably be low card.
Mojo - I get exactly why they thought he might be a big deal and what they saw, but he's got nothing beyond it, it appears. He just sucks. Swing and a miss for WWE.
CJ Parker - He just doesn't have very much talent. Bottom card for life.

The Ascension aren't really good enough individually, but they can be a decent tag team. The Vaudevillains are a super fun act, but it is a comedy act so it's got a low ceiling.

Come on now. WWE never gave a shit about Ryder or wanted him anywhere near the mid card, let alone upper card.
They actually want a major Latino babyface, especially since Sin Cara flopped for various reasons and Del Rio never worked out like they planned, and now he's gone.
Kalisto as a new Mysterio is about the safest bet they have. No one is saying he'll be main event but I think he'll be pushed pretty hard in the upper card unless he fucks up to a Sin Cara level.

Devitt is there to be a star, bar none. He wouldn't have left New Japan if that wasn't coming.

I think Steen is there for the same purpose. KENTA I have no idea.

Ithil

I'm sorry to not mention Solomon Crowe anywhere in there but despite his talent he seems to be falling through the cracks for some reason.

Caspel

- Kenta has all the potential to be a big star, but that relies entirely on whether or not he is allowed break the mold of the Japanese stars in WWE where they've been treated as jokes or stereotypes. He has all the talent needed, anyway, but that's rarely the issue.
- Baron Corbin is a rookie and hasn't "properly" started on TV yet, but HHH put him over and he's apparently gotten pretty good at house shows. A wait and see.

Come on now. WWE never gave a shit about Ryder or wanted him anywhere near the mid card, let alone upper card.
They actually want a major Latino babyface, especially since Sin Cara flopped for various reasons and Del Rio never worked out like they planned, and now he's gone.
Kalisto as a new Mysterio is about the safest bet they have. No one is saying he'll be main event but I think he'll be pushed pretty hard in the upper card unless he fucks up to a Sin Cara level.

With KENTA, they should allow him to do the GTS if they are truly done with CM Punk. KENTA could get great heat and reactions from utilizing the GTS.

I'm very unaware of Corbin besides the few jobbing losses he has done thus far, so I'll keep an eye out when he truly debuts.

Another positive aspect about Kalisto is that he is only 27 (turning 28 soon), so he has many years ahead of them rather than Del Rio who is 37 and debuted when he was 33/34. The size may be the biggest issue (and maybe microphone skills), although they were intent on pushing Mistico who was 5'7" so I think Kalisto should be safe so long as he is a safe worker.

I'm sorry to not mention Solomon Crowe anywhere in there but despite his talent he seems to be falling through the cracks for some reason.

Ambrose was falling through the cracks, too, but look at him now. They may be saving him for something special.

somedevil

With KENTA, they should allow him to do the GTS if they are truly done with CM Punk. KENTA could get great heat and reactions from utilizing the GTS.

Ambrose was falling through the cracks, too, but look at him now. They may be saving him for something special.

The thing with KENTA is he has break the mold of Japanese wrestlers in America. Its a tough act because it seems hard to get over. Look at Sanada. He is now doing a great muta gimmick being led by James Storm doing a Bray Wyatt gimmick. Also, when he was doing the babyface thing he got lets go Goku chants.

As for Crowe he dropped the hacker gimmick because Triple H hated it. Then he was doing tag matches with Kalisto with the possibility he might been Sin Cara's replacement at the pay per view. Then he chipped his tibia bone and is out with injury.

Also, you better hope WWE approved his twitter incident where he went crazy retweeting everyone who wanted him to debut because that gets people fired.

strobogo

Banned
I don't think I have seen that one.

iV9GihxT8nuC8.gif

The thing with KENTA is he has break the mold of Japanese wrestlers in America. Its a tough act because it seems hard to get over. Look at Sanada. He is now doing a great muta gimmick being led by James Storm doing a Bray Wyatt gimmick. Also, when he was doing the babyface thing he got lets go Goku chants.

As for Crowe he dropped the hacker gimmick because Triple H hated it. Then he was doing tag matches with Kalisto with the possibility he might been Sin Cara's replacement at the pay per view. Then he chipped his tibia bone and is out with injury.

Also, you better hope WWE approved his twitter incident where he went crazy retweeting everyone who wanted him to debut because that gets people fired.

I think Kenta can get way over just like Tajiri did. While Tajiri did some traditional Japanese wrestler things (mostly the mist), he got over on his weird physical charisma and kicking the dog shit out of people. Once Kenta starts throwing super loud kicks and whatnot, I think he'll get over in a hurry. Tajiri got over HUGE in 2001/2002 just based on being in fun segments with Regal and kicking really hard.

Ithil

I think it might be hard for Crowe to break through for a while if he debuts in a couple of months (due to the injury) when Kenta/Steen/Devitt are around and getting pushed.

He does have age on his side, he's only like 26. I do hope he gets his shot eventually.
I think Kenta can get way over just like Tajiri did. While Tajiri did some traditional Japanese wrestler things (mostly the mist), he got over on his weird physical charisma and kicking the dog shit out of people. Once Kenta starts throwing super loud kicks and whatnot, I think he'll get over in a hurry. Tajiri got over HUGE in 2001/2002 just based on being in fun segments with Regal and kicking really hard.

Tajiri was over, alright, and he won titles and all that, he's probably the most successful Japanese wrestler WWE have had, but even then, he was limited to midcard (granted, smaller guys weren't being put in the main event back then, let alone smaller Japanese guys). And he still had a lot of the "look how Japanese that guy, hah, his English is broken!" type nonsense.
For Kenta to really break the mold, he needs to be "superstar who is Japanese" not "Japanese superstar". Kind of like how Paige or Barrett's being from England is treated. They're English and all that, and don't hide it, but it's not their gimmick, it's just where they're from. Compare it to Sheamus.
They've shown a good sign in how quickly they turned around Becky Lynch from "Irish Irishperson who is Irish you know" to her new gimmick that doesn't really have anything to do with her being from Ireland.

Cagey

Banned
Tyler Breeze is the worst parts of Fandango and The Miz. I don't see it, I don't get it, he makes me want to skip large chunks of NXT with other performers I'd otherwise like to watch. Just like Miz, actually. I hear his feud with Dolph was good?

Once Kenta starts throwing super loud kicks and whatnot, I think he'll get over in a hurry. Tajiri got over HUGE in 2001/2002 just based on being in fun segments with Regal and kicking really hard.

Prety much. Tajiri didn't even freaking wrestle for 6 months when he came to WWE. He kept bugging Regal to wrestle and he kept saying no, until Regal let him in a KOTR qualifier against Crash. Then Tajiri kicks the shit out of him and gets huge pops for his kicks

strobogo

Banned
Tyler Breeze is the best parts of Fandango and Miz, combined into a prettier face. He's pretty small though. He's going to look like a kid next to a lot of the main roster guys. He's talented and does good character work in backstage interviews and whatnot. I'm pretty sure Fandonger is significantly bigger than him.

I don't think it is good to judge people on if they can be a main event guy or not. There are only a handful of main event guys. There are a lot more mid card guys and they are the ones who fill the cards.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
I'm going to make the bold prediction, and say that Zayn will be the sleeper superstar WWE hasn't had since Austin. Not only does he have some of the best psycology out there, but the guy has a connection with all audiences he performs for, regardless of whether it's an indie crowd or not, as WWE's middle east tour a while back proved. Not only that, but he has a face that parents can look at, and see quality, wholesome entertainment for their kids. That is one commodity that will do wonders for WWE's PR. Comebine that with his multicultural background, and Zayn is the closest a wrestler can get to being bulletproof.

XWF Wrestling episode 1

The show starts off with a close up of an XWF t-shirt featuring the better looking of one of their two ugly logos. American Made begins to play and it zooms out to be the Hulkster. He rips the shirt which leads to an explosion wipe going across the screen. Hogan then cuts a promo about himself in the XWF which takes mild shots at Austin and Rock. Its taped in front of a green screen thats displaying Hogan flexing in the background. It then cuts to him ripping another XWF shirt off and they replay it. The green screen work was done really poorly as Hogan has a blue outline around his body the whole time.

Cut to Mean Gene welcoming us to Universal Studios and the "Universal Arena". It looks like a mix between an even lower rent Impact Zone and wherever they taped OVW.

Tony Schiavone then welcomes us XPW and brings out his broadcast Partner, Jerry Lawler. Lawler comes out with The Cat and says if wrestlers can have valets so can announcers. She then proceeds to stand behind him during the whole show. I really hope nobody paid her to do that.

They send it to Mean Gene in the ring and they act like we haven't seen before in the broadcast. He brings out the CEO of XPW, Sable. Gene pervs out a bit before Sable cuts a promo about wrestling promoters. She states that everyone in XPW will have a chance and works in a few of the companies 5 different tag lines before introducing the commissioner of the show, Roddy Piper. Piper pervs out with Gene for a second before launching into an extremely similar promo. He mentions that they wont have guys laying in tanning beds having their mom call the federation for them.

Cut to a pre-tape with Gene Simmons and the Kiss Demon. Gene shows off his guitar before saying we havent seen what his demon can do yet.

Cut to another pre-tape with the Demon saying the "In your face" tagline.

Match 1: Vito V Buff Bagwell
God damn it Piper, what did you just say! Before that match starts they do a picture in picture with the Nasty Boys just saying their back. Buff has shitty offense, shitty selling, and even shitty kick outs. Tony say he's never looked better. Neither man wrestles particularly like a face or heel. Crowd chants Bagwell sucks and it's the only crowd noise I'm willing to believe is not added in editing. Buff wins with a blockbuster in a short match.

Cut to another Hogan Pretape saying the "No more primma donnas" tagline.

In the back the cruiserweights knock on Piper's door. Piper comes out looking possibly Drunk and sounding incredibly hoarse. He puts over the cruiserweights and makes a match with all of them for the cruiserweight championship. "Pinfall, Submission, over the top rope, it doesn't matter." Piper sounds like he was consulting with Russo.

Match 2: Marty Janetty V Hail W/Jimmy Hart
Marty looks to be in good shape, Hail is probably around 6'10. Total squash with Hail playing to the crowd like a face when I'm pretty sure he was supposed to be a heel.

Diamond, Swinger, and Dawn Marie promo stating they've arrived. King pretty much calls Dawn Marie a slut.

Match 3: Horace Hogan V Ian Harrison
Harrison is a jacked up dude. Squash match that goes quite a bit longer than the last.

Cut to Johnny B Badd pre-tape. Like all the rest of them just announcing that he's here.

Norman Smilely Pre-tape. He calls himself the wiggle man and that he's coming to get you. I really hope Norman starts popping up out of places like the Boogey Man now.

Match 4: Cruiserweight Battle Royal
All the men are already in the ring and have a pretty standard battle royal that lasts about 5 minutes. Schiavone notices Josh Mathews in the audience looking bored. It's amazing the he immediately knew who he was when he seemed to have problems calling the 9 contestants in the ring. The final two are Chris Daniels and Kid Kash, who Schiavone keeps calling Kid Krash while King, Penzer, and the graphic department all call him Kid Kash. Daniels goes for a moonsault but Kid Kash goes for a springboard kick that looks more like he was launching his ass at him to win.

Kash then goes to the audience and calls over Mathews. One of the plants has a sign saying Kid Krash. Kash tells Mathews he got a raw deal and invites him to the back.

Cut to a pre-tape with Alice Cooper endorsing the XWF.

Pre-tape with Hogan saying the in your face tagline.

Pre-tape with 3 women(Nitro girls?) saying the in your face line.

Match 5 Nasty Boys V Shane Twins
It's a Nasty Boys match. Saggs loses to a clothesline.

Legion of Doom come out in front of the Crowd for an XWF promo.

Cut to Willie Nelson's tour bus with Hacksaw Jim Duggan. Nelson tells him good luck with the new federation. Hacksaw gives out a HOOOOOO!

Vampiro Promo about this being his time.

Bobby Heenan comes out and announces that he is no longer a manager but an agent. He announces his client, Curt Henning. Bobby looks and sounds great here so it's kind of a bummer that these are his last shows before becoming ill.

Match 6: Curt Henning V Vampiro
Tony calls Vampiro sick and sadistic and mentions the human torch match last year. It's hard to know who's a heel or face in this show, no one seems to be on the same page. Match goes on for about 3 minutes before Bobby goes for some brass knucks. Piper runs out and hits Henning with the knucks only for him to immediately pop back up to his feet and walk into Vampiro's finish.

Ithil

I'm going to make the bold prediction, and say that Zayn will be the sleeper superstar WWE hasn't had since Austin. Not only does he have some of the best psycology out there, but the guy has a connection with all audiences he performs for, regardless of whether it's an indie crowd or not, as WWE's middle east tour a while back proved. Not only that, but he has a face that parents can look at, and see quality, wholesome entertainment for their kids. That is one commodity that will do wonders for WWE's PR. Comebine that with his multicultural background, and Zayn is the closest a wrestler can get to being bulletproof.

I still think Ambrose is that guy, but Zayn has a lot of qualities I think people are overlooking. They're especially putting way too much emphasis on looks (even though I think Zayn looks just fine, he's unique). That "must look like a movie poster" thing isn't actually true, it's just some bullshit Vince believes. Since he runs the company, it's how they operate, but it doesn't make it true.
It's always about who is most legitimately popular, in reality. A great look can obviously help that in a big way but it's not to be used as a basis for pushing a guy.

Top Bottom