• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| Almost Brings a tear to my eye

Carnby

Early Nitro is most definitely better than what Raw as doing at the same time. Raw in 1995 and most of 1996 that didn't involve Austin were rouuuuuugh.

You're right, it was rough at times, but in 1996 I could see WWF was a diamond in the rough. Austin became Stone Cold shortly after WM 12, plus there was a long build up to Bret Hart's return in November, Mankind Vs Taker feud over the summer was great. (That Boiler Room brawl match was so confusing to me as a kid. "there's no way Mankind actually fell off that ladder...or did he?") Psycho Sid took Shawn's belt in front of a smark ass smark NYC crowd, Brian Pillman had a gun, ect. There was a lot 1996 offered. It wasn't perfect. I sat through a few Freddy Joe Floyd vs. T.L. Hopper matches, but I recognized that WWF has some really talented wrestlers who also had better gimmicks. I couldn't get behind WCW realistic approach, to the point where it removed anything interesting about a character.

unpopular opinion time: I never liked WCW Nitro. I always saw it as an inferior product. I started watching WWF after WrestleMania 12. Even though WWF wasn't prefect, I stuck with it and bought my first pay per view in September of 1996. The main event was Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind. And that match was exactly why I liked WWF over WCW. Old men wrestling, redneck announcers, and the corn ball production value of Nitro never appealed to me. ...And how many times did Nitro end with NWO storming the ring? That stuff got old real fast.

I'm not the least bit excited about Nitro on the Network. I just don't see the appeal.

I watched wrestling as a kid from sometime before Mania 9 to some point when Diesel was the champ and again from late 99 to today. During both times WCW was available and I just never cared to watch it because popular opinion amongst peers was that it sucked.

Having seen a couple early Nitro episodes and most of the Raw episodes before their debut I can totally understand why people started watching Nitro instead of Raw. WWF had way better main guys wrestling wise but their show was trash. If you're lucky you get a match where Hart/HBK/Diesel/Razor/Undertaker/Double J/123 Kid fight one another but if not their just isn't much interesting on the card. It was still mostly squash matches and oddball characters. Raw gets better but only because Nitro was outclassing it. If not Vince would still be booking the same type of shows today.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
RAW was basically Superstars at night with more Duckman plugs until Nitro came along and competed with it.

Watching the first Nitro now for the first time. Is it true that WCW was the first major US promotion to feature high-speed matches like the Pillman-Liger match? If so, it's crazy to compare how sloppy that style was twenty years ago to how crisp a very similar style is now.

And what's weird is that today, Raw would benefit from going back to more of a pre-Nitro show.

It would solve some of their booking problems but I don't think they could move Raw back to that format even partway without losing viewers.

I love the jobber segments on NXT if only to hear the dumb names of the jobbers of the week.

Velocity had the best jobber names. "Shades of Pokerface!"

strobogo

Banned
Watching the first Nitro now for the first time. Is it true that WCW was the first major US promotion to feature high-speed matches like the Pillman-Liger match? If so, it's crazy to compare how sloppy that style was twenty years ago to how crisp a very similar style is now.

No. Raw had matches like that with 123 Kid, Hakushi, HBK, and Owen. Even before WCW was WCW, JCP had matches like that from time to time. They also had them before the Nitro era. They weren't super common, but junior style sprints definitely happened from time to time. Once WCW started bringing lucha guys in, then things really changed.

LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

WCW Monday Nitro 9/25/95

• Alex Wright vs Disco Inferno
  • Sgt. Craig Pittman vs Kurasawa
  • Randy Savage vs The Taskmaster
  • Meng vs Lex Luger

Some big stuff happens on this show. Or at least, stakes are raised. Arn and Pillman reveal a bit more on their relationship. Lex and Macho settle for a match with Lex's title shot and WCW career on the line. Giant creates chaos and crushes 5 dudes. Disco debuts. And next week, That Mother Fucker Dean Malenko will make his Nitro debut. So weird seeing Big Show so slim and athletic again.

irHN0Fqwwd0rM.gif

ibqTptYisqxmKC.gif

ibiXbb1dM3sD9B.gif

Thorakai

I'm amazed that the Usos have manged to remain a team since their debut in 2010. They somehow got out of the dark ages of tag-team wrestling and got to sniff the jockstrap of Sina for a bit. Never would have expected them to still be a thing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
They knew exactly what they were doing putting Nitro up right before the Sept 3rd renewals. I think they got me. :(

DMczaf

Oh I missed a Fave Five That Motherfucker

1. Andre the Giant
2. Arn Anderson
3. Dean Malenko
4. Brock Lesnar
5. Real Ass 1996 Stone Cold

Carnby

Fav Five That Motherfucker

5. Shawn Michaels "post Summer Slam 1997 heel turn"
4. John Cena "steals Zach's love interest, and pushes crippled Zach"
3. HHH "I married your daughter"
2. Corporate Rock "Survivor Series 1998"
1. Stone Cold Steve Austin 1996-1997

Raw tonight? Awesome, I have to close the store tonight! On Labor Day! With a bunch of customers bugging me about shit!

oh god someone kill me

Oh tonight is the night! It's that time again to decide...

... Go bed or stay up and watch RAW!

Do what I do, stay up for roughly the first hour to get a feel for the episode, then wonder why you even held out that long and go to bed. Then in the morning fast forward swiftly through the remaining 2 hours and feel glad you didn't stay up into the unearthly hours sitting through rancid Bella segments.

Do what I do, stay up for roughly the first hour to get a feel for the episode, then wonder why you even held out that long and go to bed. Then in the morning fast forward swiftly through the remaining 2 hours and feel glad you didn't stay up into the unearthly hours sitting through rancid Bella segments.

Tonight I'm gonna try out the Nocturnowl Raw Diet, it sounds like it's the right one for me.

strobogo

Banned
3 hour Nitros were mostly brutal. Especially the stretch where the first hour had zero wrestling. And instead of getting all you skits and promos out of the way in the first hour, the next two hours would also have a ton of out of ring shit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
3 hour Nitros were mostly brutal. Especially the stretch where the first hour had zero wrestling. And instead of getting all you skits and promos out of the way in the first hour, the next two hours would also have a ton of out of ring shit.

Those were the worst even though some amazingly memorable shit happened during them. This is when RAW really started killing them.

So like three hour RAW then basically.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So like three hour RAW then basically.

No? There's usually 1-3 matches in RAW's first hour. Stro means what he said; the powers that be in WCW thought they should use their hour advantage over RAW to showcase exactly zero matches and they did this for months. Ratings plummeted.

"At least it was just their nude pics and not their banking information" might actually be the dumbest thing said in this community. Jesus fuck

No? There's usually 1-3 matches in RAW's first hour. Stro means what he said; the powers that be in WCW thought they should use their hour advantage over RAW to showcase exactly zero matches and they did this for months. Ratings plummeted.
I didn't think no wrestling was literal. Yeesh. Raw often takes ages for the first match... But yeah nothing like an hour.

"At least it was just their nude pics and not their banking information" might actually be the dumbest thing said in this community. Jesus fuck

Jesus, could we just drop this shit? If I wanted to read the arguments about the morality of celebrity nude leaks, I'd go in those threads. Too toxic of a situation for here.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I didn't think no wrestling was literal. Yeesh. Raw often takes ages for the first match... But yeah nothing like an hour.

I guess they were deluded into thinking that if they held off their matches until hour two people would hang around to see the luchadors at 9pm instead of Austin/Rock/Mcmahon coming out and talking for twenty minutes. They were wrong. They also often forgot to put on anything compelling at the 9pm switch over which is not a mistake they made earlier in the Monday Night Wars.

Jesus, could we just drop this shit? If I wanted to read the arguments about the morality of celebrity nude leaks, I'd go in those threads. Too toxic of a situation for here.

Huh? I was only commenting on inane shit posts in this thread.

If I wanted to post a moral argument about it that was toxic to conversation then I would point out that the dudes who are super stoked about the hacking are tantamount to people cheering on a rapist. But of course I never made that post here.

Top Bottom