• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor offers Ultra texture optional download, recommends 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

Arulan

It's funny. Countless threads and discussions for months on end about 2gb, 3gb being enough, about some random $500 setup blowing away the consoles and able to run next-gen games for a few years at least. It's all out the window. All of it was bs.

I don't see how anything has changed. The requirement of being able to run "next-gen" games at console-equivalent standards is just as you described, except minus the "out of the window" part. If you want your PC to continue to meet new standards as they change over time, in this case a setting that far exceeds (Texture Quality) what the console versions are using you will need better hardware.

Twisting information to fit your arguments doesn't make them any more true.

Omega

Banned
Looks like I'll need to hang on to my PS4 for multiplats.

console developers are ridiculous

i really hope Batman doesn't need some shit like 8GB minimum

It's not about consoles matching VRAM requirements for PC Ultra quality textures.

The consoles have just moved up the baseline requirements.

Yeah, it doesn't. But still, short answer: Yes, that's the reason.

Longer answer: Developers can do a lot more with Ultra settings on the PC now that they aren't as constrained by 512mb RAM consoles. It's a lot easier to scale up further when the PS4 & XB1 are the baseline. Mordor is technically cross-gen, but the last gen versions were outsourced and apparently have stuff gutted from them. It's more like pseudo-cross gen so the developers weren't so quite as held back by it.

Basically, the PS4 & XB1 are a *huge* boon for people who love high end PC settings.

I get what you guys mean now. The ceiling has been raised significantly.

I wasn't going to get this game in particular anyway but now I am kinda concerned. I don't play too many demanding games on my desktop anyway but gosh, if its gonna be like this when I do play the few demanding games I need to start saving some cash.

Then again I game on Medium to high anyway and very high and ultra if I can do it. Otherwise I don't but how long can I keep that up?...

Grayman

Good for the upper end of hardware to actually start getting used, if this is warranted in actual use. People who aren't running on ultra should be ok with their current setup and it may be a few years before there is a good rule of thumb like 2GB is good enough for 1080p. That is especially true given that monitor resolution is going to creep up or actually hit 4k and 8k and 3d is going to hit consumer use at unknown res, AA, and refresh.

Excuse me? 6GB? Are they serious? That it, I'm officially over PC hardware. Not that I cared much about this game anyway, but if my 2GB gtx 670 can't cut the mustard at 1080p someone fucked up.
2GB of VRAM was sufficient when games were developed for 512 MB and ported up, but the baseline has now increased by a factor of 16.

If you want to play PC games this generation, you should brace yourself for the fact that this trend is going to continue.

I don't see how anything has changed. The requirement of being able to run "next-gen" games at console-equivalent standards is just as you described, except minus the "out of the window" part. If you want your PC to continue to meet new standards as they change over time, in this case a setting that far exceeds (Texture Quality) what the console versions are using you will need better hardware.

Twisting information to fit your arguments doesn't make them any more true.
I responded to this point on the previous page.

Basically, buy a PS4 and enjoy games at high/medium.

Wait 3 years until GPU's are put of the 28nm hole and Nvidia/AMD step up the VRAM offering then buy a mainstream GPU that will net you again high/ultra settings for all these console ports until nex-gen

Then repeat process.

Sounds like a plan.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Your video card is 2 and a half years old, why should you be able to run everything at max settings without performance issues?

Wasn't there recently a thread about this? People who jump into PC gaming expecting to run everything at max settings. It's not a realistic expectation, and there's nothing wrong with turning down some stuff. It'll still look great.

Paracelsus

In before someone makes a texture pack with the same identical quality weighing 4gb less by changing a parameter or two.

Nvidia better be fucking quick with 20nm Maxwell.
Damn fuckin' straight.

I saw the 970, but thought it would be better to wait until 2015 for a 20nm GTX 1070 with 6GB VRAM and a 384 bit bus at sub $400. Nvidia will probably charge at least $500 for 6GB cards next year though. :(

Carlius

Banned
Easy buy a ps4 and u can play every game on high-ultra

ya, no lol. i doubt its oging to be 1080p on ps4. itll probably be like watch dogs, where they say 3gb for high, but you can actaully play it on a 2gb card like i did with no stutters. they are exagerating i think.

Yes, i belive this will be the new thing, i am not surprised, this is all about bad optimization and exageration on the devs part.

Wait 3 years until GPU's are put of the 28nm hole and Nvidia/AMD step up the VRAM offering then buy a mainstream GPU that will net you again high/ultra settings for all these console ports until nex-gen

Then repeat process.

Sounds like a plan.
This man knows whats up.

Razma1

Hope TB breaks down the options and how the game looks on high end rigs like he did for the last Dead Rising. All these options sound legit but I've been fooled before.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The game runs at 60 fps on PS4.

And while it makes sense to assume that the PC version will be superior in most ways, it's far from a guarantee.

What...really!? 1080p60fps!? I didn't expect that at all. I assumed this whole time that the game on PS4 was 1080p 30.

Well, now that its reviewed well, maybe i should take a look see about getting it for my PS4...

Arulan

I responded to this point on the previous page.

First of all, why would you want to play at console equivalent settings for the price we're paying? Second, the PS4 version is running at 1080p/60fps. I wouldn't be surprised if it's equivalent to high settings on PC.

Why would I want to play at console equivalent settings for console equivalent prices?

Honestly I wouldn't, you'd be better off investing more but that's what all of these arguments are based off for some reason. It could be "High" settings on PS4, but that doesn't make your previous statement on console-equivalent PCs not lasting the generation true, or have any correlation with with the 6GB of VRAM for "Ultra".

Then repeat process.

Sounds like a plan.
Probably the most reasonable path to take.

Why would I want to play at console equivalent settings for console equivalent prices?
They're not console-equivalent prices.

Honestly I wouldn't, you'd be better off investing more but that's what all of these arguments are based off for some reason. It could be "High" settings on PS4, but that doesn't make your previous statement on console-equivalent PCs lasting the generation true, or have any correlation with with the 6GB of VRAM for "Ultra".
The 2gb/3gb cards aren't going to last the entire generation, even on console-equivalent settings. You're wrong when you say nothing has changed. A lot has changed, almost overnight. Look at Evil Within. We're just at the start of this gen.

Wasn't there recently a thread about this? People who jump into PC gaming expecting to run everything at max settings. It's not a realistic expectation, and there's nothing wrong with turning down some stuff. It'll still look great.

It's like there's some kind of psychological blow when they can't put one of the settings at the highest number. Even though it's an optional texture pack add-on designed to provide extreme quality to those with the highest end cards. Like a 670 with 2GB is still going to be matching or exceeding PS4 quality. People panicking because they've got a 3GB 780 are going to look pretty silly when the actual benches come out.

orochi91

ya, no lol. i doubt its oging to be 1080p on ps4. itll probably be like watch dogs, where they say 3gb for high, but you can actaully play it on a 2gb card like i did with no stutters. they are exagerating i think.

Yes, i belive this will be the new thing, i am not surprised, this is all about bad optimization and exageration on the devs part.

It's 1080p/60fps on PS4.

GHG

It's like there's some kind of psychological blow when they can't put one of the settings at the highest number. Even though it's an optional texture pack add-on designed to provide extreme quality to those with the highest end cards. Like a 670 with 2GB is still going to be matching or exceeding PS4 quality. People panicking because they've got a 3GB 780 are going to look pretty silly when the actual benches come out.

Well I wasn't just about to spunk $750 on a pair of GPUs only to be relegated to having to play at anything less than max settings. That's just stupidity in my book, especially when I already own a PS4.

This actually makes my life easier. Will get an xbone for horizon 2 instead now and get new gpus post Christmas.

What is order independent transparency? Some new fancy effect?

Nah.

Transparent objects, such as glass, are actually a pretty tricky thing to render efficiently. Typically you'll sort your scene in a list of objects from furthest to nearest, and render and blend the furthest ones first, and then move closer to the camera. That way if there's an object behind a transparent object, it will still get rendered and blended properly. However, this approach can have strange rendering bugs, especially if you have curvy or intersecting objects. Sometimes if things get sorted incorrectly or objects just align right, there can be weird rendering effects. For example, have you ever seen bugs where objects seem to render in front of windows when they are actually behind them? This is generally the cause.

Order independent transparency allows them to forgo a lot of that, at the expense of taking up VRAM by storing information on a per-fragment basis so it can still figure out transparency. Technically you will have a more accurate image, but at the cost of memory. Not sure about the total performance hit/increase of this though.

Lowering settings isn't the same as not cutting it. I'm sure the game will look just fine at high textures.

This is what's crazy to me. The game will still look great even for those with 2GB cards or whatever. Not sure why people are freaking out... More devs should do this, because that means when more of us have 6GB cards like 3 years from now, this game will still hold up very well. As I mentioned earlier, Doom 3 did something similar. It happens with PC gaming, and is what makes it great. Hardware is continuously getting pushed to its limits, but because the settings are configurable, you don't HAVE to upgrade all the time. Over time you just need to turn your settings down until you upgrade again.

The guy who said he was switching his Evil Within PC preorder to the PS4 because he only has a 3GB GTX 780 was hilarious. At least us 600 series plebs are working with nearly three year old cards. The paranoid 780 owners just don't have an excuse lol.

knitoe

So what does this mean?

1080p 6Gb vram for Ultra textures. How much vram do you need if you wanna go 4k in the future?
X VRAM does not quarrelate with Y resolution. People need to stop thinking that way. They were wrong when saying 1GB, 1.5GB, 2GB and etc is all you will ever need at 1080p. If there gpu was powerful, you could do 100GB at 1080p. Just think about how much power and VRAM it would require to render NY Time Square photorealistic.

It's funny. Countless threads and discussions for months on end about 2gb, 3gb being enough, about some random $500 setup blowing away the consoles and able to run next-gen games for a few years at least. It's all out the window. All of it was bs.

Never stop doing this in threads, it's hilarious. Yes, ultra on PC will be perfectly on par with console versions. You've figured it all out.

Duxxy3

This is strangely true.

When I was doing upgrades for my PC I would look back at how many times I wasn't able to set the game to absolute max settings. If it happened more than a few times in a short period, it was upgrade time.

I've let that go... for now. No upgrade til the end of 2015 at the earliest.

Thing is, you need 3 gigs for high. That's an expensive card. To get medium you need 2 gigs. A 670 with 2 gigs is over 200 bucks.

This isn't even an especially great looking game. It looks good but it's not a powerhouse. The gen has just started too.

Never stop doing this in threads, it's hilarious. Yes, ultra on PC will be perfectly on par with console versions. You've figured it all out.
Never stop reading the thread. Just 10 posts down I address that, but I'm guessing you were in a fervor to post that.

Demigod Mac

Don't games like Skyrim use that much VRAM when modded heavily?
The devs included this option for the same group of enthusiasts.

GHG

The guy who said he was switching his Evil Within PC preorder to the PS4 because he only has a 3GB GTX 780 was hilarious. At least us 600 series plebs are working with nearly three year old cards. The paranoid 780 owners just don't have an excuse lol.

When you spend that much on a GPU alone you want to play at nothing other than max settings. That's the whole point of the high end PC market.

If he bought with the intention of playing at medium/high settings he would have just bought a 760 or something. Then it wouldn't hurt as much.

It's all about expectations.

KHlover

Banned
Well, at least I have a 4GB card...

After seeing Watch Dogs and Advanced Warfare with their insane requirements I knew 2GB wouldn't be sufficent in the long run.

6GB though...I bet the game won't look nearly good enough to justify 6GB for 1080p.

Top Bottom