• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor offers Ultra texture optional download, recommends 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

EctoPrime

If vram does become a problem the OEM's will just make the low end cards have 8GB of ddr3, make high tier cards that have 8GB of gddr5 and leave the mid tier hanging with 4.

It's funny. Countless threads and discussions for months on end about 2gb, 3gb being enough, about some random $500 setup blowing away the consoles and able to run next-gen games for a few years at least. It's all out the window. All of it was bs.

Hahahaha what the hell are you on about

It still blows away the consoles. It just isn't max settings. You get that there's a gradient here right?

VanWinkle

Well if the game is 1080p and about 60fps on PS4 which is seems to be, those ultra textures must be absolutely beastly, lol.

Well I wasn't just about to spunk $750 on a pair of GPUs only to be relegated to having to play at anything less than max settings. That's just stupidity in my book, especially when I already own a PS4.

It's one setting in one game. Not that I'm convinced a high end SLI setup is going to falter on ultra textures anyway, even sans 6GB vram per card. In fact, I'm willing to wager real money that an SLI 970 4GB setup will handle it fairly well, assuming there's no SLI related shenanigans.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Man I don't even want to imagine the requirements of GTA5. Damn VRAM is gonna fuck PC users.

Will wait for 970 8gb edition.

When you spend that much on a GPU alone you want to play at nothing other than max settings. That's the whole point of the high end PC market.

If he bought with the intention of playing at medium/high settings he would have just bought a 760 or something. Then it wouldn't hurt as much.

It's all about expectations.
Those expectations should have flown right out the window the moment current gen consoles started packing at least 5GB of VRAM specifically for games nearly a year ago.

Arulan

They're not console-equivalent prices.

The 2gb/3gb cards aren't going to last the entire generation, even on console-equivalent settings. You're wrong when you say nothing has changed. A lot has changed, almost overnight. Look at Evil Within. We're just at the start of this gen.

I would argue that the prices are equivalent if not cheaper in many aspects but I feel this has been done countless times in many threads and it's not going to be worth my time.

The only thing you could possibly be suggesting is optimization advantages which have been proven over and over again to be largely insignificant in real-world scenarios, especially given the large discrepancy between console and PC CPUs.

The only thing that has changed is that some developers have decided to include settings that far surpass the console counterparts, notably texture quality and users freaking out about not being able to "max everything out". The Evil Within is in the same place. I think you're incorrectly correlating "maxing a game out" on PC with some pro-console argument which do not share a connection.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
It's like there's some kind of psychological blow when they can't put one of the settings at the highest number. Even though it's an optional texture pack add-on designed to provide extreme quality to those with the highest end cards. Like a 670 with 2GB is still going to be matching or exceeding PS4 quality. People panicking because they've got a 3GB 780 are going to look pretty silly when the actual benches come out.

Oh, there totally is. I was crushed when I realized my 670 4 GB wasn't going to be able to run Assassin's Creed 4 at 60 fps with everything set as high as possible. It was doing really well until then, even downsampling most of what I was playing.

You get over it. Games will still look fantastic. There's no need to stress over max settings.

scitek

It's funny. Countless threads and discussions for months on end about 2gb, 3gb being enough, about some random $500 setup blowing away the consoles and able to run next-gen games for a few years at least. It's all out the window. All of it was bs.

The game will still run on the $500 machine.

Teremap

Banned
When you spend that much on a GPU alone you want to play at nothing other than max settings. That's the whole point of the high end PC market.

If he bought with the intention of playing at medium/high settings he would have just bought a 760 or something. Then it wouldn't hurt as much.

It's all about expectations.
Yeah, those people just need to get over themselves. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of future proofing in games, especially if, say, "high" ends up looking like last generation's "ultra".

Hahahaha what the hell are you on about

It still blows away the consoles. It just isn't max settings. You get that there's a gradient here right?
That post was a reply to a post that was speaking in a broad context, not this specific game. I even mention this like 10 posts down.

Ziffles

Excuse me? 6GB? Are they serious? That it, I'm officially over PC hardware. Not that I cared much about this game anyway, but if my 2GB gtx 670 can't cut the mustard at 1080p someone fucked up.
Oh cmon it'll cut the mustard just fine at medium texture settings and can probably handle the tessellation, too. Your 670 still smokes a PS4.

GHG

It's one setting in one game. Not that I'm convinced a high end SLI setup is going to falter on ultra textures anyway, even sans 6GB vram per card. In fact, I'm willing to wager real money that an SLI 970 4GB setup will handle it fairly well, assuming there's no SLI related shenanigans.

I hope that turns out to be the case but I'd rather sit back, watch and wait instead of being a $750 guinea pig.

Yeah, those people just need to get over themselves. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of future proofing in games, especially if, say, "high" ends up looking like last generation's "ultra".

I'm one of those people.

Don't tell me to get over myself :p

orochi91

I hope that turns out to be the case but I'd rather sit back, watch and wait instead of being a $750 guinea pig.

It's a wise approach to take. I worry what NVIDIA and AMD will charge for the 6GB+
variants on their cards next year.

thematic

but... but... they say 1080p won't use more than 2GB!!!
they say games that uses more than 2GB @1080p are only for cache!!!!

That doesn't even do the 3GB+ cards proper justice. When I played Alan Wake and Alice:Madness Returns for the first time on PC with my 2GB GTX 670 the IQ positively blew me away and practically locked me into PC gaming permanently (barring unforeseen financial troubles). A 780 or 970's "high" must be far beyond anything I've seen from last gen.

PC GPUs are putting in that work as of late. The 970 is just going to bring even more opportunities to the masses.

-MD-

So this is a pretty good sign that the recommended 4GB VRAM for Evil Within is for ultra textures or some other fancy feature those of us with lesser cards can disable, yeah?

Zoned

Actively hates charity
So what about 4k users?

10gigs lol

Anyway it will be interesting to see PS4 vs PC ultra comparison.

Armaros

If Ultra mode actually finally becomes something it should be, IE super improved but hardware destroying graphic settings for enthusiasts, instead of barely better then 'console high' graphics, all the better.

The age of spending 200 bucks on a graphics card that goes to Ultra is gone for now. At least until the console generation goes on and the cards that can do that stuff get cheaper just like last time.

I just hope that devs are doing decent optimization for games with super ultra settings in that more moderate cards still do well on more sane graphical settings.

Now if ultra setting isn't worth the hardware you have to put into it, then its just the standard, using hardware to bolster up the fact that the devs spent less time on the PC version.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I don't see how anything has changed. The requirement of being able to run "next-gen" games at console-equivalent standards is just as you described, except minus the "out of the window" part. If you want your PC to continue to meet new standards as they change over time, in this case a setting that far exceeds (Texture Quality) what the console versions are using you will need better hardware.

Twisting information to fit your arguments doesn't make them any more true.

Just gotta frame it properly. Console devs make PC melting games.

The game will still run on the $500 machine.

Will Evil Within still run on the $500 2gb VRAM machine? Will X game out in 2015 still run on it? Technically, a 670/2gb blows away PS4/X1's GPU but that's irrelevant when games are coming out in the first year of next-gen recommending 4 gigs of VRAM, a cross-gen game no less. Or 3 gigs for high textures. What's going to happen in 2015 and beyond? Be realistic.

Kieli

All this talk about insane VRAM usage due to next-gen unified memory is making me want hold out on buying a 4GB GTX970 for a 1624GB GTX1170...

Really needs to be noted that a lot of the people saying not to bother with high memory cards were in response to people asking about low end models. Your 650 Ti SC might have 20 GBs of video memory but it's not actually powerful enough to ever run those settings.

orochi91

I hope it isn't a CPU issue like last time with GTA 4 at launch on PC. If it is Ill have to go buy a 20 Core processor at 4.0GHz or some nonsense.

I got an FX-8350 earlier this year and overclocked it to 4.8Ghz.

I sincerely hope those 8 cores will cope this gen. The GPU VRAM seems to be a
more pressing matter at this point D':

All this talk about insane VRAM usage due to next-gen unified memory is making me want hold out on buying a 4GB GTX970 for a 1624GB GTX1170...
Wait 2 or 3 months, 8GB models shouldn't be far out. If you buy with EVGA they have a nice step up program to where you can upgrade within 90 days of purchasing the card. Ie, EVGA puts out a 8GB model in November you can send them the card and 50 dollars to get the version with more memory.

Will Evil Within still run on the $500 2gb VRAM machine? Will X game out in 2015 still run on it? Technically, a 670/2gb blows away PS4/X1's GPU but that's irrelevant when games are coming out in the first year of next-gen recommending 4 gigs of VRAM, a cross-gen game no less. Or 3 gigs for high textures. What's going to happen in 2015 and beyond? Be realistic.
I'll be playing GTA5 and Arkham Knight on my 2GB GTX 670 at 1080p without projectile vomiting at the screen or having to buy a PS4.

believe it! /Naruto

I'll be buying one for Bloodborne just like everyone else.

Bloodrage

Banned
Basically, buy a PS4 and enjoy games at high/medium.

Wait 3 years until GPU's are put of the 28nm hole and Nvidia/AMD step up the VRAM offering then buy a mainstream GPU that will net you again high/ultra settings for all these console ports until nex-gen

Then repeat process.

Sounds like a plan.
I do agree with this plan. The GTA5 meltdown is going to be really awkward.

Head.spawn

NQHKSVE.gif

I want to see some screen shots with this godlike textures, because what I've seen so far hasn't exactly been mindblowing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
not to join the panic parade, but seeing as im building a new rig very soon, and was going to just wack my 580 in there for the time being since the 970 isnt out here yet and I dont want to pay the shipping premium, I might aswell wait for the 8gig version now then?

Wait 2 or 3 months, 8GB models shouldn't be far out. If you buy with EVGA they have a nice step up program to where you can upgrade within 90 days of purchasing the card. Ie, EVGA puts out a 8GB model in November you can send them the card and 50 dollars to get the version with more memory.

I might do this, or I might wait, idk. My friend needs a GPU and I could totally sell him mine...

Ziffles

I guess Nvidia and AMD were hoping for a very gradual increase of VRAM requirements. I don't think they were counting on developers to let it all hang out and suddenly use uncompressed textures for everything ever.

I'll be playing GTA5 and Arkham Knight on my 2GB GTX 670 at 1080p without projectile vomiting at the screen or having to buy a PS4.

believe it! /Naruto

I'll be buying one for Bloodborne just like everyone else.
This is little more than a gut feeling but I bet GTA5 runs fine on 2 gigs because it was originally developed with just 360 and PS3 in mind. Evil Within and Mordor have been developed with PS4/X1 in mind all along.

Tablo

Okay yeah definitely helps me not go and spend on GTX 980 atm, gonna aim for a 8GB VRAM card to upgrade from my 670 next year.

Quasar

Wow.

So just how many games ask for 6GB of VRAM. Surely this is not a first time?

My poor little PC with a 2GB 7870. I guess the game will barely run at all.

This is little more than a gut feeling but I bet GTA5 runs fine on 2 gigs because it was originally developed with just 360 and PS3 in mind. Evil Within and Mordor have been developed with PS4/X1 in mind all along.
*citation needed*

... and GTA5 will probably laugh at my 670. I mean, it'll probably look nearly on par with the PS4 version at 1080p, but that will have to take some tweaking. Forget about downsampling or generous amounts of AA.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Everybody got waaay to comfortable during last gen, this was gonna happen sooner or later lol. My poor 2gb r9 270x though, going to have to wait it out till a decent card that I can afford comes along :p(not that it was a high end card to begin with anyways)

These textures better be some of the best in all of video games though. If not then ayy lmao

Top Bottom