• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor offers Ultra texture optional download, recommends 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

Well, looks like high for me for at least two years!

But this makes it more clearer now after the other system requirement threads. Ultra will probably require an arm and a leg to play. I'm cool with high. Even at high, it's still much better than the current gen consoles. So that's good.

I'm sure if you don't have a 4K monitor, you won't tell that much of a difference between Ultra and High @1080p. I don't know too much about PCs, but it's the AA settings that make or break the GPU, from my experience.

If I could hit high @1080p and 60fps, that's fine with me!

Vuze

we are in the age where console optimization has overtaken PCs even with superior GPUs. a graphics card alone to get 4 VRAM is what 350ish+
muh optimization

Well, was a bit shocked at first but it makes sense if these textures are super-highres. Will wait for a comparison before judging. And all those people in here crying about the 700/900 cards being obsolete etc - hilarious :D

I dont think we are seeing the same prices.
I see 120 and 130 euros but thats for used ones.
In summer you could find one at 150 euros brand new because they were clearing old stocks after rebranding.
Search for R9 280 its the new name.
Also worth noting that I bought a r9 290 with 4gb of vram for 220 euros during sales.
Then again, not as expensive as you make it.
Oh my bad, I was looking at new ones. You're right.

They're not and no one is saying they are, but high requires 3 gigs. That's an expensive card. And this is a cross-gen game that's releasing in the first year of next-gen. Think about it and what it means for 2015 and beyond.

You're making a bizarre statement here. It's clear these requirements really have nothing to do with the power of consoles since they physically don't even have 6 GB of VRAM, so that's out the window. Yet you're hinting at this nebulous idea that in 2015 and beyond, when we're well into this console generation, these cards aren't going to cut it...even though the current gen consoles still won't magically have more VRAM at that point.

Shadow of Mordor is providing settings for bleeding-edge PCs regardless of console power. That it's a cross-gen game has zero to do with that. Any other current-generation console port game released in 2015 and beyond can either do two things: provide bleeding-edge settings (which has been done today, in 2015, and in 2003), or simply "match" the settings to reflect the capabilities of the PS4/XB1 much more closely (like what happened with the vast majority of console ports last generation). Neither one of them has anything to do with the time that these games are being released.

3 GB cards won't be heavily affected unless most console-port developers choose to make bleeding-edge settings. That this particular developer is doing it doesn't mean every dev will do it, and just because it's being done now doesn't mean we can magically extrapolate this jump in requirements and say "oh wow every single game will have 6 GB ultra settings in 2015+ if this here cross-gen title does!" That's not how it works.

Cronox

Banned
Well, I guess WB just saved me 60$. I can't even say how much I love when publishers doing such a nice thing. THANK YOU WB. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

This is some real butthurt here. Guys, don't punish developers who go out of their way to make a good PC version of their game, including PC-exclusive settings, by complaining that you can't max out everything. If you'd rather have a straight console to PC port, keep complaining - what other reaction do you think a developer would have?

Read and be educated.

roytheone

*sigh* This thread only makes me more aware that my good old trusty gtx 460 1 GB has to be put down and replaced soon. You had a good run boy, a very good run..........

Lord Phol

Thx, but nope, I have HD 6870 with 1 GB VRAM and I have no desire to play this game with low quality textures + it seems like this game is only about about killing orks for the most part and I have no interest in killing tons of orks in LOTR game over 30 hours, it;s just f*****g boring as hell.

P.S. PS4 is not an option for me cuz I won't buy this console till at least 2017-2018 for sure.

So aggro, not even sure what you are doing in this thread when you have no interest in the game nor any ways to play it.

On-topic, had no idea my 680 would hold up so well, really glad I opted to pay a little extra for it. I remember people talking about the importance of VRAM back when I bought it 1-2 years ago.

Wookieomg

I think people are freaking out because they aren't realizing that we have been in a console generation of locked specs since 2005/2006... So multiplats were always scaled back a ways from PC counterparts. Up til now...

With the advent of PS4/XBO and all the freedom it allows devs to ramp up graphs, the PC equivalent is adequately ramped up as well. Once people get their initial upgraded gpu's/rigs/etc by this time next year or so, the rest of the generation won't be as big an issue for requirements, I don't think.

We have just gotten so used to really low req's that it's kind of a shock. That's just my two cents anyway. :p

nkarafo

So, you buy a new 500$ 980 card but "its not enough" for this game.

What a joke. I guess in 6 months an i5 with 16GB ram and a 980 is going to be the minimum requirement, eh developers?

770 2GB is gonna be fine. It's still an amazing card.

Ahahaha

Come on. Give it up. No one has to justify buying that piece of trash anymore with the 970 available. People still flying the 2GB flag at this point are damaging the PC platform and they've already done enough damage as it is.

Move on. Concede defeat.

Jira

Man, this game is basically Batman. And those ground textures look so flat...

It's a compressed youtube video. The ONLY site that you can even come close to accurately judging fidelity of a game outside of running on your rig is gamersyde. Every other site is just compressed garbage.

Larogue

Come one Nvidia and AMD, when are you gonna pump the VRAMs to 6-8gb to match the current gen consoles?

2-4gb VRAM is so outdated.

virtualS

I can't imagine that this is a very well optimised game or utilises system memory (DDR3) as well as it should. Then again, if textures on PC are significantly more detailed than on consoles then 6GB makes sense. I mean, XBOne only has 32MB of fast RAM, the rest is what, twice the throughput of basic PC DDR3? Also, there's what 5GB max available for entire games after the OS is taken into account?

*sigh* This thread only makes me more aware that my good old trusty gtx 460 1 GB has to be put down and replaced soon. You had a good run boy, a very good run..........

I commend you for making it last so long. You actually show restraint with buying new hardware like crazy.

The card I had before my current R9 270 was a HD 5950 so that was a jump for me last year.

Ahahaha

Come on. Give it up. No one has to justify buying that piece of trash anymore with the 970 available. People still flying the 2GB flag at this point are damaging the PC platform and they've already done enough damage as it is.

Move on. Concede defeat.

Wow dude.

Well, I guess WB just saved me 60$. I can't even say how much I love when publishers doing such a nice thing. THANK YOU WB. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
What the fuck is this? Are you actually upset that the developers made a PC version that takes advantage of high end hardware? Come on.

bee

battlefield 4 @ 5120x2880 maxed uses/caches 5.5gb vram, I don't believe this figure one bit

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I can't imagine that this is a very well optimised game or utilises system memory (DDR3) as well as it should. Then again, if textures on PC are significantly more detailed than on consoles then 6GB makes sense. I mean, XBOne only has 32MB of fast RAM, the rest is what, twice the throughput of basic PC DDR3? Also, there's what 5GB max available for entire games after the OS is taken into account?
I'm pretty sure xbox one will have 720p or some weird ass resolution.

Ziffles

muh optimization

Well, was a bit shocked at first but it makes sense if these textures are super-highres. Will wait for a comparison before judging. And all those people in here crying about the 700/900 cards being obsolete etc - hilarious :D

I'm pretty sure it's just a result of uncompressed textures. Even in that max settings video the close-ups looked like average last-gen quality.It aint no Witcher 3, that's for sure.

knitoe

So, you buy a new 500$ 980 card but "its not enough" for this game.

What a joke. I guess in 6 months an i5 with 16GB ram and a 980 is going to be the minimum requirement, eh developers?
At worst, min PC spec will be PS4/X1 comparably.
battlefield 4 @ 5120x2880 maxed uses/caches 5.5gb vram, I don't believe this figure one bit
STOP. Once again, X resolution does not quarrelate to Y VRAM. Never has and never will. The sooner people stop regurgitating this the better.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So aggro, not even sure what you are doing in this thread when you have no interest in the game nor any ways to play it.
I had interest in playing it before this nonsense and reviews was published. But now, I can spend 60$ on something else..

This is some real butthurt here. Guys, don't punish developers who go out of their way to make a good PC version of their game, including PC-exclusive settings, by complaining that you can't max out everything. If you'd rather have a straight console to PC port, keep complaining - what other reaction do you think a developer would have?

What the fuck is this? Are you actually upset that the developers made a PC version that takes advantage of high end hardware? Come on.

What was the point in doing this if only 10% of all people actually have a chance to play this game on at least high settings? It's 2018-2020 already when such requirements will be norm?

Ahahaha

Move on. Concede defeat.

Are the 4GB 770 crew still allowed to fly the flag though? I knew the extra 2GB would be worth it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Phew... Made the right choice for my setup with my PS4 preorder then.

Man! Even dual GTX 970s isn't hitting that ram req.

These GPU vendors need to stop cheaping out on ram. If a goddamn $399 PS4 can have 8 gigs of GDDR5 then what excuse does a $350 GPU have for only containing 2GB.

GHG

But he expected his 4 year old then mid-range card to max this game out.

But he also came kicking and screaming into this thread despite having no interest in the game.

Logic = 0

Dryk

Damn, that's a really nice looking options menu. Lots of info, laid out very well. Kinda makes me want to buy the game, honestly.

I'm not going to be upgrading from my 4 GB card anytime soon, but stuff like this will definitely influence my next purchase.
Yeah they've definitely put a lot of thought and extra effort into this. Good job guys!

I'm probably just going to still buy a 970 with however much VRAM. Games like this aren't meant to be played at high specs for a few years and complaining will just discourage it... like Far Cry...

These GPU vendors need to stop cheaping out on ram. If a goddamn $399 PS4 can have 8 gigs of GDDR5 then what excuse does a $350 GPU have for only containing 2GB.

It's not a minimum requirement dude. They are offering an optional ultra-HD texture download. It doesn't even ship with the game normally. 6GB cards do exist at the ultra high end (via Titan, or 6gb 780 variants), but they are not common. Assuming we take this at face value (we don't have benchmarks yet, so it could easily be exaggerated), that would mean you think of this as a "nice to have" option for the next video card you get 2-3 years down the line when you play this again. It's a way to future proof the game. Like Ubserampling in Witcher 2, it's not supposed to be running on normal computers, not even fairly high end ones. It's for the future, or for ultra high end rigs that cost 2000 dollars or more.

But anyway, wait for benches.

Dual GTX970 is 8GB... now come on. 350 dollars GPU ? 320 dollars GTX970 is 4GB.
I'd be curious to see your setup, jjust to see how much you're making out of it.
350 dollars GPU also have 3 times more raw performance than your PS4. It's not only about ram you know ?

Screenshot from IGN of the game at High settings (3 GBs needed)
playstation-38680-11318445650.jpg

The PS3 has 8 gigs of normal RAM not VRAM.

With 6gb I'd expect textures to look like real life, or high end AAA cg at the least.

You expect textures to change how a game is rendered too?

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say hyper texture quality will be one of the reasons which will drives AAA game studios or projects (or viability) to bankruptcy (failing to meet projected profits or just not feasible).

There I said it now

Expecting it to come up in some Kotaku or some article up on some gaming website in four to five years from now, citing "AAA game development isn't keeping pace along side visual processing hardware advancement".

Then I'd laugh in my chair and say "Didn't give shit about extreme visuals, its all about the gameplay".

GHG

Dual GTX970 is 8GB... now come on. 350 dollars GPU ? 320 dollars GTX970 is 4GB.
I'd be curious to see your setup, jjust to see how much you're making out of it.
350 dollars GPU also have 3 times more raw performance than your PS4. It's not only about ram you know ?

SLI doesn't double the VRAM. You will still only have 4gb even if you have 2 cards. The texture load is mirrored on both cards.

Top Bottom