• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Tactics |OT| A worthy Commandos spiritual successor [PS4/X1 on August 1st]

Games seems unanimously praised

Steamspy says it's over 10,000 sold already (15,737 ± 3,278), seems great for a $40 game in a niche subgenre

I picked this up yesterday on a whim, and sort of forced myself to start it back up again today. But this game is really good. I had no idea how much I missed this sort of game, and the execution of it is flawless. I've played the first four missions, and each one have been great with tons of different ways to solve each challenge, great variety of characters and the overall setting is just perfect.

Can't believe such a great game can come out of nowhere. Was there a kickstarter or any pre release hype for this?

chrixter

Missions 8 and 9 just looked impossible to me at first glance. But you find those tiny cracks in their defenses and slowly chip away until you've somehow penetrated to your objective. Such a satisfying feeling.

This is definitely making my top 5 of 2016 (out of the 30+ games I've played). Hadn't even heard of it until the day it released. Surprise of the year for me.

Games seems uniaminouosly praised

Steamspy says it's over 10,000 sold already (15,737 ± 3,278), seems great for a $40 game in a niche subgenre
Aa3tGAt.png
I really hope the game does well for them. I'd love to see them get an opportunity at a sequel.

Dascu

Any tips for what I believe is the last mission?
Castle Senpu (I think),where you need to kill Noboru. I have no idea how to even get started on this mission, it's only strawhats and samurai guards.

Ennosuke

I tried the demo, completed the first level. I think it is a fantastic game, but not sure if I should buy it. I am in love with the setting and presentation of this game. Thr combat is fun, but I am worried that at some point it could be to difficult for me. And I really lack patience, which could be very important in this game. I always like the idea of stealth, but I always want to rush things.

I tried the demo, completed the first level. I think it is a fantastic game, but not sure if I should buy it. I am in love with the setting and presentation of this game. Thr combat is fun, but I am worried that at some point it could be to difficult for me. And I really lack patience, which could be very important in this game. I always like the idea of stealth, but I always want to rush things.
That's one of the nice things about how fast you can quick save. You can experiment, rush, fail, and try a new approach. But it does require some patience to precisely time movements and actions

LordAmused

Played the first level in the demo. Goddamn this might be my personal suprise hit of the year!

Didn't know I needed a game like this before playing it.
Now, I don't have the money to buy it, hopefully it stays 10% off on Steam for a few weeks :(

Tecnniqe

Banned
Some of these character skill sets seems like a straight up copy from some in Commandos.

Perhaps I should try and reinstall those before playing this for the ultimate experience :3

This game came outta nowhere, probably the biggest surprise for me this year.

I'm really bad though, I need to start making better use of the view cone marker.

tactics stealth huh, never played something like this, I fear this might end up frustrating me too much but I do want to try it.

I've never played Commandos or Desperados so I can't speak to how I think Shadow Tactics compares, but I'm really, really enjoying it. Maps are well-designed and challenging. None of the playable characters feel like throwaways, though the trap girl has been the least useful for me so far.

The ability to pause would be appreciated, though. Sometimes I find myself struggling to display the dexterity required to execute more coordinated tactics in real-time. Shadow Mode's utility is limited in this regard since it permits only one action per character.

See that's the thing the trap girl is the most useful I've found. The game allows all sorts of styles of play. All super well balanced. Loving this game.

Tommyhawk

This game came outta nowhere, probably the biggest surprise for me this year.

I'm really bad though, I need to start making better use of the view cone marker.

Yes, for me too.

I'm no expert in this genre but so far I'm thoroughly enjoying this game.
Just finished level 3 (the snow town) and it was a very tense and gratifying experience.

I played Commandos 1 and 2. But I never played 3, nor the Desperados games, nor this game, Shadow Tactics.

Can any fan of this genre to put all of them in a ranking, to know which are worth playing?

SpokkX

Holy shit just tried the demo!!

Amazingly polished. Nintendo like polish and full controller support!

Bought it immediately

Nzyme32

Just for those interested in this kind of game:

Commandos games are on sale on both GOG and Steam - both have been updated so that they work properly now as of Feb 2016, and there are a few additional updates that have followed to fix them up some more

Skab

Yeah you can't really beat getting commandos 2 for $0.59. lol

Is there a good amount of missions for this though? I'm on six and can't help but wonder if the game is short or not.

Sloane

Banned
I played Commandos 1 and 2. But I never played 3, nor the Desperados games, nor this game, Shadow Tactics.

Can any fan of this genre to put all of them in a ranking, to know which are worth playing?
Desperados is still worth playing, Commandos 3 has always been pretty meh. Hard to properly "rank" them considering how old the original Commandos is -- as of today, I'd consider Shadow Tactics the best of them.

Missions 8 and 9 just looked impossible to me at first glance. But you find those tiny cracks in their defenses and slowly chip away until you've somehow penetrated to your objective. Such a satisfying feeling.

This is definitely making my top 5 of 2016 (out of the 30+ games I've played). Hadn't even heard of it until the day it released. Surprise of the year for me.
Same here. The only thing I didn't quite like were those rice (?) fields; I guess you're not supposed to see shit in them but it felt a bit unfair because the AI still does somehow.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah you can't really beat getting commandos 2 for $0.59. lol

Is there a good amount of missions for this though? I'm on six and can't help but wonder if the game is short or not.

13 missions in the full game.

The only thing you need to know is Commandos 2 stands far above anything ever made and most likely ,that will ever be made. Its so far above everything it stands in another dimension.

That moment when you realize that yes, the developers did factor time of day when designing levels.

Also everybody owes it to themselves to select pistols with yuki while rocking japanese voices. This game has so much god damn charm.

Dascu

Just finished it. Really good game and amazing accomplishment for the dev team. There were a few pieces, especially in the later levels, where it felt a bit reliant on dexterity and luck rather than planning
(or maybe I didn't realize the 'intended' solution)
, but overall it's a great stealth game.

Looking forward to seeing vids on how to tackle challenges. Some of them seem absolutely crazy. Spoiler for last level:
Drown Lord Noboru? How??

I hope they're successful and can work out a deal with whoever owns the Commandos IP. Though I guess nothing is actually stopping them from using a World War II setting anyway.

Gorger

Caved in and bought the game myself. Been waiting a long time for Commandos-style gameplay and I love the Japanese aesthetics. Can't wait to check it out.

Sloane

Banned
I hope they're successful and can work out a deal with whoever owns the Commandos IP. Though I guess nothing is actually stopping them from using a World War II setting anyway.
Pyro Studios still exist in some form and they own the rights as far as I'm aware. But, yeah, considering the game seems to be doing pretty well so far, they might as well continue with the Shadow Tactics name in a different setting, not much point in wasting money on a license.

Caved in and bought the game myself. Been waiting a long time for Commandos-style gameplay and I love the Japanese aesthetics. Can't wait to check it out.

Purchased even though I won't get to it for awhile. I wanted to show my support for the genre in the hopes that we will see more games like it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Friend bought me some Steam credit for an early xmas present so I was able to pick this up now :) Can't wait to get to it though it won't be for a short whiile, demo was great.

That moment when you realize that yes, the developers did factor time of day when designing levels.

Also everybody owes it to themselves to select pistols with yuki while rocking japanese voices. This game has so much god damn charm.

I switched over to the Japanese VA during the second mission. The English VA had a mix of English and Japanese accents which is really jarring to me.

I read that Edo period of Japan spanned from 1603 to 1868. I'm just curious, are they more specific about approximately what year the game is set in?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Damn, this game is so good. Love the excellent controller support.

I can't seem to get English subtitles to pop for NPCs when using Japanese VA. Do they only translate your own characters?

Dascu

Pyro Studios still exist in some form and they own the rights as far as I'm aware. But, yeah, considering the game seems to be doing pretty well so far, they might as well continue with the Shadow Tactics name in a different setting, not much point in wasting money on a license.

Good point, they can keep the Shadow Tactics franchise name and use different subtitles for sequels in other settings. Here's hoping for Guns of the General.

yeah, this is what's most shocking. They've executed the concept so well (better than pyro ever did, i'd say), and commandos has been dead for so long that they might as well just do a Shadow Tactics: In His Majesty's Service set during WW1 with elite BE units. Could have quite the diverse cast, that. (so long as they don't make the irish bloke the sapper, because really.)

chrixter

Took me 33 hours to beat on Hardcore. Apparently that's on the slow side as multiple reviewers clocked in around 25. Loved every moment, except:

The only thing I didn't quite like were those rice (?) fields; I guess you're not supposed to see shit in them but it felt a bit unfair because the AI still does somehow.
Yeah, this was the only area I didn't find fun. Admittedly I forgot to use Kuma there, but the way enemy view cones were displayed in the rice fields confused me for a good while. Least favorite gimmick in the game.

My only other disappointment was the lack of any rendered interiors during gameplay. Would've been cool to infiltrate some buildings, especially that last one at the end.

As a massive fan of the Commandos series, and to a lesser extent the Desperados series, I stumbled upon this game unknowingly when browsing the GOG sale. Having been craving for such a game for so long it was hard to suppress my hype when I saw this.

Having played the game to level 3, however, doesn't give me quite the satisfaction I was looking for. I still can't quite put my hands on why, everything the game does is pretty great, from graphics to performance, design, mechanics, setting, etc. and I feel like I should be enjoying it way more than I actually am. Maybe I was just hyping myself up too much and it backfired.

Anyway, regarding the non-lethal attacks, if you hide the bodies in enclosing spaces like houses or boxes, they will not wake up, as far as I can see.

eagledare

Having played the game to level 3, however, doesn't give me quite the satisfaction I was looking for. I still can't quite put my hands on why, everything the game does is pretty great, from graphics to performance, design, mechanics, setting, etc. and I feel like I should be enjoying it way more than I actually am. Maybe I was just hyping myself up too much and it backfired.

I'm having the same feeling of dissatisfaction myself. A feudal Japan tactics game seemed like a dream come true for me, but it seems like nearly every enemy encounter has to be executed perfectly or else you trigger an alert, which so far has always ended in near-instantaneous death for me.

Save scumming always leaves me feeling less satisfied, and so far I'm not seeing any other way to play the game. Trying to use all of my characters' skills effectively and I'm making use of shadow mode where it makes sense, but something isn't adding up.

Took me 33 hours to beat on Hardcore. Apparently that's on the slow side as multiple reviewers clocked in around 25
gonna go out on a leg and guess that nearly all were playing on normal, thus the reduced play time.

How's the variety and replay, then? Are there multiple ways to get through scenarios?

several. with a bonus objectives system that shows up only after you've completed a level once, and a hardcore difficulty mode.

Purkake4

Banned
I love it when you throw a giant rock on some dudes, everyone gets alerted for a second, but then they're like nah nothing to see here, carry on.

Eridani

I read that Edo period of Japan spanned from 1603 to 1868. I'm just curious, are they more specific about approximately what year the game is set in?

It's not a super historical game, but a cutscene mentions that it's set in the early Edo period and the first mission's based on the siege of Osaka, so around 1615.

DrSlek

I love it when you throw a giant rock on some dudes, everyone gets alerted for a second, but then they're like nah nothing to see here, carry on.

Guard: Sir, are we just going to leave them there? Shouldn't we remove the bodies?

Officer: ......no.

THIS GAME.
It took me two and a half hours to complete the fifth mission.
But blowing up the target and his samurai with a grenade was worth it.
Killing guards is also way too much fun. I even do it when I don't have to :D

Top Bottom