• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall |OT| Choose Your Enemies Carefully

Durante

dragonfallLaunchCapsuleWeb.jpg

Information
Developer: Harebrained Schemes
Release Date: 2014-02-27
Genre: Party-based isometric RPG
Platforms: Windows, OSX and Linux
Price: $14.99, via Steam.
(Will be available DRM-free on GOG)
Watch the trailer

Note: This is an expansion and requires the original Shadowrun Returns to work. There will also be a Shadowrun Campaign Pack, which includes both the original Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall for $24.99 total.

Story Background said:
MAN MEETS MAGIC & MACHINE. In 2012, magic returned to our world, awakening powerful creatures of myth and legend. Among them was the Great Dragon Feuerschwinge, who emerged without warning from the mountains of Germany unleashing fire, death, and untold destruction across the countryside. It took German forces nearly four months to finally shoot her down – and when they finally did, the event became known as the Dragonfall.

It’s 42 years later – 2054 – and the world has changed. Unchecked advances in technology have blurred the line between man and machine. Elves and trolls walk among us, ruthless corporations bleed the world dry, and Feuerschwinge’s reign of terror is just a distant memory. Germany is splintered – a stable anarchy known as the “Flux State” controls the city of Berlin. It’s a place where power is ephemeral, almost anything goes, and the right connections can be the difference between success and starvation. For you and your team of battle-scarred shadowrunners, there’s no better place to earn a quick payday.

Now, a new threat is rising, one that could mean untold chaos and devastation. One that soon has you and your team caught on the wrong side of a deadly conspiracy. The only clue: whispers of the Dragonfall. Rumors that the Great Dragon Feuerschwinge may still be alive, waiting for the right moment to return…

Features
  • Experience a New Full-Length Campaign: Return to the “Tech meets Magic” future of Shadowrun in an all-new 12+ hour campaign. Operating out of an offbeat hub neighborhood, you’ll choose which missions to accept and how you’ll approach them while navigating the dark underbelly of “the Flux”.
  • An Exciting New Locale: Shadowrun: Dragonfall transports runners to the Free City of Berlin, a thrilling Shadowrun setting full of gorgeous new hi-res environments, a diverse new cast of characters, and a new soundtrack by the composer of the original Sega Genesis Shadowrun game, Sam Powell.
  • Command Your Team: Lead a small team of shadowrunners, each with their own outlook and backstory. The members of your team are designed to play unique roles during missions, and each has a distinct set of skills, abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.
  • New Weapons, Enemies, Portraits & More: Try your hand at the long-range sniper rifle, explosive grenade launcher, or stun-inducing taser. Chrome yourself out in the latest cyberware, and take on deadly new enemies – including new magical creatures like gargoyles and fire drakes. Dragonfall brings a host of new items, characters, over 60 new portraits to choose from, and many other improvements to the Shadowrun Returns experience.
  • Save Anywhere: You can save your progress at any time during the game. The new save-game functionality is available in new downloads of Shadowrun Returns and through a patch for all existing copies.
  • New Game Editor Features: Dragonfall brings a wide range of enhancements to the Shadowrun Returns game editor for community content creators. In addition, content creators will be able to use all of the new Berlin environment art, items and characters in their own stories along with assets from the original Shadowrun Returns campaign.

Images

Well, I'm reasonably hyped for this. I did enjoy the first campaign despite its simplicity, and this one seems to be improved in every way.

Dennis

Banned
Shit that is tomorrow

First one was one of the best games of last year. Imagine what could be done with an AAA budget and more ambition.

Naito

My body is not ready. With the latest patch of Diablo III, I might have to postpone playing this one :'(

U-R

This game was quite a surprise, great setting (well, obviously) and good rhythm, definitely the best game i kickstarted together with Knock-knock. Can't wait for the new campaign.

Loved the first one despite its flaws(save system, menu screen slowdown/shuttering mostly). Looking forward to playing this, the changes they've made sound promising. I hope the open campaign and a stronger focus on the characters who join up with you works out well. I liked Coyote in the first one but a lot of the guys you ran with were just random hires with no dialogue. Between these new Shadowrun games and the Netrunner card game, I'm really enjoying this resurgence of cyberpunk. And there's still that Cyberpunk 2077 game from CD Projekt RED to look forward to.

Donos

I once read that the original campaign was also there, but i get the feeling from the OP that this is standalone? Waited buying the game because of the improved version with main game + Berlin "dlc".

CrimsonN0

I kickstarted this and totally forget this part was coming out now.

I really liked the first first one. It was some combination of the story, art style and sound that just fit together really good.
I was fine with the original save system except for that one mission where you need a Decker and he kept dying on me, forcing me to restart.

The combat was kinda plain, but I was also lazy and just went Street Samurai.
Gonna have to pick something different this time.

I once read that the original campaign was also there, but i get the feeling from the OP that this is standalone? Waited buying the game because of the improved version with main game + Berlin "dlc".
From what I understand, this is not* standlone expansion, but they're also updating the original campaign as well, including bug fixes and the new save anywhere system.
Does anyone know if this'll come to iOS as well? Still have the first game to play, will def jump in if there series is continuing there as well.
According to this Polygon article, an iOS and Android version will be released sometime later.

*Edit: Made a mistake, doesn't appear that the expansion is standalone, sorry.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Does anyone know if this'll come to iOS as well? Still have the first game to play, will def jump in if there series is continuing there as well.

Donos

From what I understand, this is a standlone expansion, but they're also updating the original campaign as well, including bug fixes and the new save anywhere system.

Thanks. I'll will wait then. Want to play the first campaign first and then the expansion.
Maybe i'm going to twitter them or write a mail and ask about a complete package.

mclem

so after Dragonfall how much more expansions do they have planned?

This is the last one that was formally funded by the Kickstarter. Last I heard I think they'd expressed a desire to move on from Shadowrun for now, but that was from a while back so they might have changed their mind.

Arkanius

I had such fun with my Decker in the first campaign, but I felt that everytime I needed to use my skills the game just threw me a equally good decker into my party so I always felt pretty redundant.

How is the new campaign?

Thanks. I'll will wait then. Want to play the first campaign first and then the expansion.
Maybe i'm going to twitter them or write a mail and ask about a complete package.
Oops, sorry, I just checked and it turns out it isn't standalone. Berlin requires the first game. They seem to be offering both together for 24.99$. Sorry about that!

DiscoJer

This is the last one that was formally funded by the Kickstarter. Last I heard I think they'd expressed a desire to move on from Shadowrun for now, but that was from a while back so they might have changed their mind.

According to this interview from a few days ago

http://gamercrash.com/2014/02/24/know-your-developer-harebrained-schemes/

MG: As I said earlier, there are piles of great ideas to mine in the Shadowrun universe. The cyberpunk-meets-fantasy setting is ripe for all sorts fun stories and we’d love to have the chance to tell more of them.

Beyond Shadowrun we’re hard at work on Golem Arcana, our digitally-enhanced boardgame. It combines pre-painted plastic miniatures like Hero Clix with your phone or tablet to deliver a tabletop game that’s easy to learn and fast to play.

Sounds like they have something more for Shadowrun.

Probably a lot depends on sales of this, vs sales of Golem Arcana. That KS barely made it (got $518k out of $500k). I think the head of the company is hoping he'll have another mega hit like Battletech or the clicky stuff (first MageKnight, then HeroClix)

Durante

Big thumbs up on this title.
Nice to see someone got it!

No, it's not standalone. But they are releasing a bundle (for 25$ I think) with both campaigns.I'll add this information to the OP.

Phinor

Steam says it releases today, in 6 hours. Also says 27th on their website so I assume this releases today, not tomorrow.

Nice, i am currently still trying to hunt down the original SNES game though so i am WAY behind the curve here ;(

I just LOVE the way this looks based on screens alone though!

Ricker

Couldn't finish the first although I liked it enough and some of the created stories are pretty good so I will get this as well...can you use your guy from the first game even though you didnt finish the game...?

duckroll

Are there any reviews? How's the campaign different from the first one? Does it still feel like a very dumbed down point and click adventure game with some tactical battles stung together in an episodic mission way?

Ricker

I had such fun with my Decker in the first campaign, but I felt that everytime I needed to use my skills the game just threw me a equally good decker into my party so I always felt pretty redundant.

How is the new campaign?

Complete opposite for me...I had no decker,just a big melee Troll and the mission near the end where you need a decker completly messed up my game,having to use him and all and getting a game over if he died(going back in after a resurrect with an alarm,more ennemies etc etc) while my guys where waiting outside with nothing to do...

How is the new campaign?

Playing as a Non-Decker made the Telestrian Raid hell to play because the Decker they give you kinda sucks. On the other hand my "Literal Hacker" (Deck + Melee Axe) was able to steamroll though the entire thing. Rigger is fun too. Very precise. I wish I could hack and use my drones at the same time.

Love to see this hit PS4.

Wait for Cyberpunk 2077 since Microsoft won't allow a console game called "Shadowrun" to happen. They could always call it Shade-sprint though...

Miletius

Playing as a Non-Decker made the Telestrian Raid hell to play because the Decker they give you kinda sucks. On the other hand my "Literal Hacker" (Deck + Melee Axe) was able to steamroll though the entire thing. Rigger is fun too. Very precise. I wish I could hack and use my drones at the same time.

That's what I did too on my run. It was super fun to switch between rigging and decking depending on the situation. Of course that leaves no no room for anything other than that, which is a bit of a downside, but hey, whatchagonnado.

Looking forward to this -- still deciding what type of character to roll.

cj_iwakura

Are there any reviews? How's the campaign different from the first one? Does it still feel like a very dumbed down point and click adventure game with some tactical battles stung together in an episodic mission way?

The first was a fun game with a great story. Sometimes that's enough. Sure had better NPC interaction and personality than some AAA games.

Can't wait for the Dragonfall. I'll just reroll my Mage, probably.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see someone got it!

No, it's not standalone. But they are releasing a bundle (for 25$ I think) with both campaigns.I'll add this information to the OP.

Will this bundle be available on Steam? Don't seem to see it there.

Great OT, Durante!

Hopefully they addressed all the complaints that were levied against them for the original campaign. I see they did at least deliver on the "Save Anywhere" feature, so thats a big thumbs up in that department.

Some of the screenshots seem to show a majorly improved UI for your teammates, which is pretty awesome.

Subscribed.

Top Bottom