• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall |OT| Choose Your Enemies Carefully

Durante

is this some sort of sequel or something?

I'd like to maybe create a new character but if things carry over it might be cool to see what does
It's a completely independent campaign (and by most accounts actually larger than the original one, so it isn't really a traditional expansion pack -- and certainly not like most DLC).

zkylon

zkylewd
Things don't carry over. I'm sure there's someone out there working on importing characters into it but its' really just a story on its' own.
It's a completely independent campaign (and by most accounts actually larger than the original one, so it isn't really a traditional expansion pack -- and certainly not like most DLC).
ty friends

hope those in the ot are new portraits so I can make a pretty new character

probably still gonna go with a dude since playing a dude in the first campaign was refreshing so why the hell not

I have a question for backers. I chose the Steam key option for getting the game but I remember there was also a DRM free download on their website. When they sent the mail with the Dragonfall key, they mentioned that they were moving over DRM free distribution to gog or humble and that I could choose one. Is this only for those who didn't choose the Steam option? And will the DRM free download available on their homepage disappear for me?

Holy shit:

Hey, that was exactly what I was talking about! Sounds like they sort of actually fixed it? Maybe? o_O

It's not perfect, by any means, but they have the right ideas from what I've seen so far. They take a page out of the Baldur's Gate 2 playbook in terms of second act story design:
this probably doesn't even warrant a spoiler thanks to the lack of specifics, but basically you're tasked with raising a certain amount of cash and the game more or less leaves you to decide how to go about it, albeit with dramatically fewer options than you would have seen in BG2.

That said, you can see where budgetary and/or time limitations cut back on scale and variety in places. The idea is always right, but sometimes the scope of the project just isn't able to match the intentions. What I've played so far could have done with more... well, more. More everything. I know the trend in modern game design is "streamlined", but I think for a game like this it's not a great look; it should be almost overburdened with needless bits and bobs. I should be looking at the list of cyberware or spells and saying, "I don't even know why I need ninety percent of this guff," rather than, "Well, there's only a handful of bits and bobs here so I guess I'll take 'em all."

Kickstarted the game for 40 back before KS fatigue set in. Was pretty disappointed by SR:R -- I backed my tier partially for a USB dog tag which they just decided not to make. Then, going into the game, I find a really simple game that I could play pretty mindlessly yet somehow had finnickity movement and saving. And barely any items or narrative branches (I want to feel like choices matter and I have them!), or proper use for deckers (I want to feel like the decker is DOING SOMETHING). Baffling design choices like autoguns that were pricier but worse. And to top it all off, the devs are so lazy that you can't properly add custom items to the game the last time I checked.

But maybe some of the custom campaigns are better. And I'm glad to hear that RPS likes the new campaign.

DiscoJer

Argh, I've played this for 10 hours today. I'm getting a headache, but it's good.

I don't really see it as being that much different from Deadman's Switch. Instead of having optional side runs you could do or not do (though you still get those), you have a number of ones you have to do in order to raise a certain amount of cash. Technically it's not linear, but you still have to do most of them to get enough cash.

I also don't like the new bioware style crew members, doling out their story piece by piece between every mission. I liked how they went into Coyote's backstory, seems more natural, rather than artificial/Bioware-ish.

I have a question for backers. I chose the Steam key option for getting the game but I remember there was also a DRM free download on their website. When they sent the mail with the Dragonfall key, they mentioned that they were moving over DRM free distribution to gog or humble and that I could choose one. Is this only for those who didn't choose the Steam option? And will the DRM free download available on their homepage disappear for me?

Just email them and ask for a DRM key (either GOG or Humble). They asked if anyone wanted a DRM key a couple months ago (they mentioned this in an update on KS), but I believe they just mentioned in the last update you can still ask for one.

That said, you can see where budgetary and/or time limitations cut back on scale and variety in places. The idea is always right, but sometimes the scope of the project just isn't able to match the intentions. What I've played so far could have done with more... well, more. More everything. I know the trend in modern game design is "streamlined", but I think for a game like this it's not a great look; it should be almost overburdened with needless bits and bobs. I should be looking at the list of cyberware or spells and saying, "I don't even know why I need ninety percent of this guff," rather than, "Well, there's only a handful of bits and bobs here so I guess I'll take 'em all."

I dunno. Shadowrun (the pen & paper RPG) was never really about gear. Yeah, there were some gear books, but most of the gear was very similar. It's not a loot RPG like say, Diablo, and that's a good thing.

EVOL 100%

Played a bit, and I'm finding it much more interesting than the original campaign which I just couldn't finish. Save system is a godsend as well.

cj_iwakura

Aljernon! A Mage's best friend.

Something about this game really sings to me. It's accessible, has great writing, and is fun to play. Haven't enjoyed a PC game this much since Bloodlines.

Durante

I haven't really read any impressions which don't compare it favorably to the original campaign. So at the very least, it's clear that they've improved.

I dunno. Shadowrun (the pen & paper RPG) was never really about gear. Yeah, there were some gear books, but most of the gear was very similar. It's not a loot RPG like say, Diablo, and that's a good thing.
I played a Rigger in P&P and it was very much about gear ;)

Donos

Still no bundle in sight but reading the "not so good" impressions from the first campaign, i'm not sure if i should just buy Dragonfall and skip the first. Although one of the main complaints from the first campaign seems to be fixed (save system)?
Not really easy on cash atm so i'm a bit picky.

Marven

Kickstarted the game for 40 back before KS fatigue set in. Was pretty disappointed by SR:R -- I backed my tier partially for a USB dog tag which they just decided not to make.

Yes they did and the dog tags were at the $125+ level. Here's my set:

Lnrn5Vx.jpg

Ya I'm debating if I should play a Decker / Rigger again or just try a Street Samurai. The save at anytime is a godsend too. Can't wait to play it over the weekend.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Been meaning to pick Shadowrun up since it came out on GOG, and I suppose this'd be a good time to do it. Out of curiosity, though, what's the combat system like? Is it more Diablo or Baldur's Gate... or somewhere in between? Aesthetically, it seems really cool, and the complaints people had with the initial campaign aren't things that bother me, so I figure that as long as the combat is solid, I'll probably love this.

Durante

Been meaning to pick Shadowrun up since it came out on GOG, and I suppose this'd be a good time to do it. Out of curiosity, though, what's the combat system like? Is it more Diablo or Baldur's Gate... or somewhere in between? Aesthetically, it seems really cool, and the complaints people had with the initial campaign aren't things that bother me, so I figure that as long as the combat is solid, I'll probably love this.
It's neither Diablo nor Baldur's Gate. It's turn based. The combat plays out a bit like the new X-com, if I'd have to compare it to some recent game.

Dire

Does the first game provide a challenge if you're decent at turn based strategic combat?

I passed on it for exactly the reasons mentioned in this thread, but if it can at least give me a bit of an ass kicking then I think I might jump in for the double.

EVOL 100%

Man, this game is fucking great. It might not have the scope of the old CRPGs, but it sure does feel like one. Coming off the original campaign which was immensely disappointing (uninteresting, uninspiring and mediocre everything), this is a very nice surprise. It feels like this is what Shadowrun Returns should have been in the first place.

I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time. I'd really like to see what these guys could do with a bigger budget/scope.

Wow, the
generator mission
is incredibly tense.
I managed to make it into the last room without a fight, free all the prisoners, and make it out of the building on the last possible turn. Excellent mission, easily the best in the game as of yet. Even better considering how many optional objectives and different ways to tackle the obstacles there were, such a huge leap from the missions in the first campaign.

Uh...? There are like 120 pieces of cyberware and bioware in the tabletop RPG. Even most versions of the core book alone have ten times as much as SR:R has, even if you ignore that there are literally entire books dedicated solely to those things.

There's a difference between being a Diablo-type "loot game" and having a variety of options. I'm not saying it needs randomized loot and drop tables, and I honestly have no idea how you managed to read that into what I did say.

AColdDay

Uh...? There are like 120 pieces of cyberware and bioware in the tabletop RPG. Even most versions of the core book alone have ten times as much as SR:R has, even if you ignore that there are literally entire books dedicated solely to those things.

There's a difference between being a Diablo-type "loot game" and having a variety of options. I'm not saying it needs randomized loot and drop tables, and I honestly have no idea how you managed to read that into what I did say.

Well this is true, it is difficult to implement all of depth of a tabletop game into a video game. At a certain point, I'm sure they had to prioritize which elements of the game were critical and creating more item variety kind of fell by the wayside.

While I totally agree with you that having a lot more variety would be better, at a certain point you start to get diminishing returns. I am in no way saying that having less items is BETTER or that the current offering is perfect, but I think they did an awesome job considering the shoestring budget they put this game together with.

Personally, I wish that the mod editor allowed for item types to be created natively within the editor. Modders can still create new items, but they have to really work at it.

Xater

I enjoyed the original campaign but this one is way better. That I can now also save whenever I want is also great. I am playing a gain as a Street Samurai because that's what I like in Shadowrun but a Decker would be really fun in this. They really listened, because there are quite a lot of opportunities to use one.

Almighty

Well the impressions are getting me a little excited to play this. Looks like after I am done with Resident Evil 4 and South Park I will have to check this game out.

akira28

woot. buying after midnight.
always very hard. the AI pulls some interesting shenannigans. Lots of grenade fuckery and shaman totem summoning, but god I love it.
Maybe they'll make the riggers and their drones more dangerous/useful this time around.

Glad everyone's enjoying it. I've only just got into the first campaign after playing it on and off for a while now, so if this is a big step up, I'll definitely be looking forward to it once my backlog clears a bit.

Well this is true, it is difficult to implement all of depth of a tabletop game into a video game. At a certain point, I'm sure they had to prioritize which elements of the game were critical and creating more item variety kind of fell by the wayside.

While I totally agree with you that having a lot more variety would be better, at a certain point you start to get diminishing returns. I am in no way saying that having less items is BETTER or that the current offering is perfect, but I think they did an awesome job considering the shoestring budget they put this game together with.

Yeah, like I said, it's obviously a time/money budgeting thing for the most part, though there are a few design level decisions I would list as extremely dubious. The one that stands out like a sore thumb off the top of my head: if you're going to make it so that Cyberware is, for the most part, generic stat boosters - which, fair play, is very "Shadowrun" - then why in god's name would you put similar generic stat boosts on clothing, often even in excess of what 'ware offers?

Fuck being a Street Samurai, apparently the real runners should be Fashion Models.

Similarly, I really can't understand why you'd gut the cyberware reflex options but make it so that mages are able to grant extra AP with trivial effort. In general, someone at the design level seemed to have a real mad-on for making sure there was no reason to ever play a Street Sam, which is pretty bizarre considering it's (arguably) the iconic cyberpunk archetype.

AColdDay

Yeah, like I said, it's obviously a time/money budgeting thing for the most part, though there are a few design level decisions I would list as extremely dubious. The one that stands out like a sore thumb off the top of my head: if you're going to make it so that Cyberware is, for the most part, generic stat boosters - which, fair play, is very "Shadowrun" - then why in god's name would you put similar generic stat boosts on clothing, often even in excess of what 'ware offers?

Fuck being a Street Samurai, apparently the real runners should be Fashion Models.

Similarly, I really can't understand why you'd gut the cyberware reflex options but make it so that mages are able to grant extra AP with trivial effort. In general, someone at the design level seemed to have a real mad-on for making sure there was no reason to ever play a Street Sam, which is pretty bizarre considering it's (arguably) the iconic cyberpunk archetype.

Well, if I were to speculate, I would think the nerfing of street samurais is due to them being such a specialized combat class. I mean think about it, a third or maybe even half of the game is spent in combat (as opposed to the tabletop game where you can include all kinds of periphery elements that have nothing to do with combat), so how do you balance the game so if you are not playing a SS you can still have a good time? Or on the flipside, if you are playing a SS you are not just steamrolling everything (because everything has to be balanced so that a fragile decker can best it).

Frankly, I'm glad that they went the direction they did because otherwise SS would be the most powerful class in the game (it still is, in my opinion) and then why would you pick anything else? However, I do feel for you guys who were attached to the class but I have no idea how you can really balance it and stay true to the source material.

Raxious

Just bought this and the base game. I've never played these games before and I'm pretty excited. I'm also loving the fact that it runs on a Surface Pro :D

cj_iwakura

Man, this game is fucking great. It might not have the scope of the old CRPGs, but it sure does feel like one. Coming off the original campaign which was immensely disappointing (uninteresting, uninspiring and mediocre everything),

Legitimately surprised you feel this way. The original was just as fun to play, and had equally great characters, IMO. Just less of it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Where's the $25 combo pack? I don't see it in any store.

EVOL 100%

Legitimately surprised you feel this way. The original was just as fun to play, and had equally great characters, IMO. Just less of it.

Couldn't get into it at all. I hated the save system, and the campaign was disjointed, awkwardly written exposition dumps and then some shootbang. Also the save system. I quit after 3 hours of playtime when in reality I probably played a lot more than that. Fuck that save system.

Anyway Dragonfall fixed most of my problems with the Seattle campaign so I'm not complaining.

Couldn't get into it at all. I hated the save system, and the campaign was disjointed, awkwardly written exposition dumps and then some shootbang. Also the save system. I quit after 3 hours of playtime when in reality I probably played a lot more than that. Fuck that save system.

Anyway Dragonfall fixed most of my problems with the Seattle campaign so I'm not complaining.

The Seattle campaign was patched. The save system is fixed now. No excuses.

EVOL 100%

I still have lots of problems with the writing and the (lack of) quest design. If I was interested with the plot and game I would have soldiered on despite the quirks, but the fact of the matter is that I was bored the entire time.

cj_iwakura

I still have lots of problems with the writing and the (lack of) quest design. If I was interested with the plot and game I would have soldiered on despite the quirks, but the fact of the matter is that I was bored the entire time.

Dragonfall has a lot of things, but it won't have Cherry Bomb or Coyote.
(At least not that I know of...)

I'm really enjoying Dragonfall - much more than Dead Man's Switch. I think I'm ten hours into it so far.

I'd definitely pay for more expansions if they were on this level.

Raxious

Damn, some of those mods in the workshop look really good, but apparently most of em have some annoying bugs thanks to the release of Dragonfall.

Durante

So, does anyone else have any performance issues with this version of the game? I get ~10 FPS and only 4% GPU utilization, but I never had any problems with the original Shadowrun Returns.

Top Bottom