• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall |OT| Choose Your Enemies Carefully

Durante

Can't wait for the Dragonfall. I'll just reroll my Mage, probably.
Yeah, I was happy with my mage in the first campaign, will probably go mage again.

Will this bundle be available on Steam? Don't seem to see it there.
It should be, maybe it will go online when the game is released.

Hmmm. That's an enthusiastic impression, but yeah it doesn't really answer if the progression is any different. Shadowrun Returns was well intended, but the flow of the game felt really constrained and the modular design really hurt exploration and scale.
Considering that their engine still seems to have issues with large-scale persistence I wouldn't expect anything too open out of this campaign. I guess it will be slightly more non-linear than the first, but I've made peace with these Shadowrun games being more directed affairs. At least they nail the setting.

I'll be waiting to get this until later ($) but I'm really interested in hearing everyone's impressions. I loved the first one despite its flaws.

Donos

Is the main game open for mods? I think that it maybe would be a good base for a lively modding comunity with growing, self made content. One can dream.

FACE

Banned
Is the main game open for mods? I think that it maybe would be a good base for a lively modding comunity with growing, self made content. One can dream.

The game comes with a mission editor, but I'm not sure how open it is.

epmode

User generated content was in from day one.

It's not the same as an SDK but Unity reportedly makes heavy modding difficult if not impossible.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Don't see the bundle anywhere. Not buying the game until there is a bundle or a sale.

Almighty

Cool. Totally forgot about this expansion until I was reminded a few days ago. I am a little excited as I enjoyed the base game even if it was very linear and a little simple. Now I just have to decided between this or RE4.

rybrad

I am glad they added saves, I wasn't a fan of the checkpointing. Everything they have said about this expansion sounds great, I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Rock Paper Shotgun review

Alec Meer said:
Now that’s more like it. Choice! Side-missions! A hub! A strong supporting cast who are up for a bit of a chat! Little-to-no mandatory decking sequences! A mother-lovin’ save (almost) anywhere system! Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall being ‘just’ DLC for last year’s cyberpunk/fantasy mash-up RPG is bittersweet, because it may well be that only existing Shadowrun Returns owners give it a spin. Really, though, this is the point where new players are best off getting involved – a new, superior campaign with no ties to the last one, and quite a few of the major problems dealt with. Now’s the time to play Shadowrun Returns, basically, but please, start with this

AColdDay

I am not going to really sink my teeth into this until the weekend, but I am so excited to see it available on steam. I loved the first campaign, and this campaign is supposed to be even better.

Durante

Any impressions from people who payed this game yet?
I only played for a short time, but I already like the fact that your party of runners has more character than just a short blurb when you hire them. Can't really say much more than that so far.

Vlodril

Only played a couple of hours but its a much stronger start than the previous campaign. In pretty much everything. Characters, story, descriptions , abilities the hub..

Good job harebrained.

I'll probably pick this up on sale. SR was an okay game, marred by the godawful ghost bug encounters and weird party inventory limitations. I was lucky that I finished the game before they nerfed buckshot with that three turn cooldown.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not a fan of DLC, but 12+ hours and a lot of improvements sounds decent to me. I liked the art and worldbuilding of the original, so if they kept that plus the improvements, this should be even better.

Grayman

If characters are not imported I am not sure which way to roll now. It sounds like Decking is improved if I want to try that on a first run again. There are new weapon types but one of the party members can probably use them too. Mages might get new spells. Decisions decisions.

I'm not a fan of DLC, but 12+ hours and a lot of improvements sounds decent to me. I liked the art and worldbuilding of the original, so if they kept that plus the improvements, this should be even better.
From previews and reviews this seems to be more towards the expansion side than the "DLC SUX" side.

What class is everyone playing as? Its always so hard for me to chose, because its a choice you have to stick with.

In the base game I played as a monk, and ended up enjoying it. As far as I can recall that class had a cool defensive and attack spells. I thought about going the exact opposite way and going street samurai with a bunch of body mods.

So excited about this. Does anyone know if they changed anything about adepts? I played one in the first campaign and was kind of disappointed in the skill set (though I finished the campaign fairly easily, so I guess the skills were actually useful, just not super fun).

Not sure if I want to recreate a character like my first adept. If not, I'll probably roll a very aggressive mage, or a street samurai with big guns. Something violent.

I hope the story doesn't turn batshit stupid as the original campaign.

Except for the fact that the
Harlequin character sucked - I used to play Shadowrun but didn't know the 'advanced' lore
, I thought it was quite shadowrun-y. In fact it reminded of the plot of one the books.

cj_iwakura

What class is everyone playing as? Its always so hard for me to chose, because its a choice you have to stick with.

In the base game I played as a monk, and ended up enjoying it. As far as I can recall that class had a cool defensive and attack spells. I thought about going the exact opposite way and going street samurai with a bunch of body mods.

Working on the first run, and my Mage is still great. I wish I'd known about the
decking
stuff though. That class is sure getting rewarded early on.

DiscoJer

Except for the fact that the
Harlequin character sucked - I used to play Shadowrun but didn't know the 'advanced' lore
, I thought it was quite shadowrun-y. In fact it reminded of the plot of one the books.

Yeah, I was geeking out when I realized what the main villain was. But then I literally own every 1st and 2nd edition Shadowrun product and most of the novels.

AColdDay

I'm in The Drug Pit and I'm trying to crack the safe on the first floor. I'm not a decker, and I can't find any hints on the password. Anybody willing to give me a hint?

AColdDay

You guys will NEVER guess the password to the administrator account on the second floor :)
It is the default password to every router in the world.

I got it on a wild guess, and I got a big smile on my face when my guess worked. They have really put in some work with the new systems. I had no idea that you could actually input numbers now (in DMS you could only select from a drop-down)

Kvik

I hope this new expansion has more jobs for my Decker. I think the original campaign only has 3 instances?

Also: Shotguns are OP.

Decado

Is there a printable manual for this game or the first campaign? Been looking around and can't find one. I can't think of another RPG that doesn't have a bloody manual.

cj_iwakura

Is there a printable manual for this game or the first campaign? Been looking around and can't find one. I can't think of another RPG that doesn't have a bloody manual.

Well, this must be the first. It's pretty simple, though, IMO.

The writing's as great as ever. I've spent an hour playing and feel like I've known this crew for a lifetime.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
What do the different difficulty settings do? I'm considering Very Hard, because of save-anywhere, but only if my skill points aren't affected.

duckroll

Holy shit:

To a limited degree, you’re also able to pick and choose missions – most are mandatory, but there were just enough that were optional that I felt I was playing on my terms rather than the game’s.

[...]

The Seattle campaign too often felt like a lightweight point and click adventure interspersed with sporadic, overtly scripted turn-based combat scenes and too much backtracking, whereas this feels much more like a roleplaying game.

Hey, that was exactly what I was talking about! Sounds like they sort of actually fixed it? Maybe? o_O

Naito

Game has stopped working for me: whenever I tried to start any new game, I get a black screen.

I tried to unsucribe from any other module, playing offline, reinstalling it but nothing. Very frustrated :(

Sloane

Banned
Hey, that was exactly what I was talking about! Sounds like they sort of actually fixed it? Maybe? o_O
Yeah, I'm surprised, too. The first campaign felt very much like a Facebook game not like a real SRPG but RPS impressions sound really good. Looking forward to playing it later, should really have made it a stand-alone game though if so much has changed.

zkylon

zkylewd
is this some sort of sequel or something?

I'd like to maybe create a new character but if things carry over it might be cool to see what does

Corpekata

Banned
is this some sort of sequel or something?

I'd like to maybe create a new character but if things carry over it might be cool to see what does

Things don't carry over. I'm sure there's someone out there working on importing characters into it but its' really just a story on its' own.

Top Bottom