• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall |OT| Choose Your Enemies Carefully

AColdDay

edit: removing what I said because the developer clarified their stance and statement and I don't want to spread false information.

Dire

I'd love to read a post mortem.

I'm curious how satisfied they are with the final products and the give and take on the way there. What they learned, what they're happy with, what they would have done differently in hindsight. All that good stuff.

ed: And that was in response to the above post pre-edit. Link to information?

cj_iwakura

Reached the endgame, I think, after talking with Alice:

Just when I thought I wouldn't get an opportunity...
S-K facilty! Oh please let me meet Lofwyr please please please.

Durante

I enjoy the (often ridiculous, occasionally grammatically incorrect) German sprinkled throughout, from the place names to people to random German outbursts and expressions in the dialogue. It reminds me of 90s Japanese RPGs, which had a serious infatuation with German names and expressions - though to be fair to Harebrained Schemes, the German mentions in this game are not quite that random and clearly better researched. :p

Just seeing real things I know and places I've been to referenced in a videogame is something that tickles my fancy.

Good times, meine Freunde.
Yeah, it's really not bad (mostly), it just sticks out because its occurrences are so random, particularly in dialogue.

cj_iwakura

Finished.

Once again, I'm left in awe. HBS' writing is on a whole other level.

I pray we get another run out of those guys.

And Lofwyr. The deal is done, dragon.

I let her live, after all.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, the writing is totally on point (as you would expect) compared to the UGC content. I honestly feel that the UGC community would be better if it were easier to find collaborators that could compensate for others weaknesses. What I mean is that there are people who know the SR universe in and out, and would probably have compelling stories to tell but lack the technical know-how to implement them in the editor.

This is a really cool notion, and I have a story to put into play if you're at all interested. I couldn't figure out the UGC creator for the life of me.

Also, what does the slogan in the haven translate to? The 'Mur Fur Mitarbeiter' one or something.

bahh. LTTP, but I really dislike the difficulty spikes of both DMS and Dragonfall on the last stages. Endless sequences of enemies, no way to replenish medikits.
I breezed the APEX fight, but the endless sequences of mercs, firedrakes, scorps get old after a while.
I forgot to take a decker with me (can’t stand blitz’s face), and I think I have to go back several hours to hope win the fight. Glory sucks. I don’t know why I keep taking her along, probably because of her backstory.
So fucking annoying, and really frustrated i won’t get to see the end of this.

Nishastra

Banned
bahh. LTTP, but I really dislike the difficulty spikes of both DMS and Dragonfall on the last stages. Endless sequences of enemies, no way to replenish medikits.
I breezed the APEX fight, but the endless sequences of mercs, firedrakes, scorps get old after a while.
I forgot to take a decker with me (can’t stand blitz’s face), and I think I have to go back several hours to hope win the fight. Glory sucks. I don’t know why I keep taking her along, probably because of her backstory.
I didn't have too much trouble with the end of this one. I recall finding a billion medkits shortly before and also after the nightmare that was the last fight of Dead Man's Switch, I was always absolutely loaded with them anyway. It really is stunning how useless Glory is, though. Here, let me run up and do a fraction of the damage you can do with a fraction of the hit rate! Whoops, I died!

The end of Dead Man's Switch actually caused me to restart the whole game so I could make a character capable of winning it more or less single-handedly. Don't bring a Decker to an insect fight. Or any fight, really.

Uzzy

I didn't have too much trouble with the end of this one. I recall finding a billion medkits shortly before and also after the nightmare that was the last fight of Dead Man's Switch, I was always absolutely loaded with them anyway. It really is stunning how useless Glory is, though. Here, let me run up and do a fraction of the damage you can do with a fraction of the hit rate! Whoops, I died!.

I never used Glory in my playthrough, never saw the need, or got her to open up about her backstory. Having her take a spot from Dietrich, Eiger or Blitz just wasn't an option, which rather makes me wish that they allowed you to run with 5 shadowrunners rather than the hard limit of 4.

AHA-Lambda

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I've really enjoyed both campaigns apart from their end sequences, awful shit.

Nishastra

Banned
The reason I didn't have much trouble with the end of Dragonfall was probably because I carried over my ludicrous combat monkey build specifically to win the end of Dead Man's Switch, thinking about it now :p

Edit: I was a melee weapon troll with cyber-eyes and arms, and just enough chi casting to get the first couple of passives and Chi Focus.

duckroll

I grabbed Dragonfall off the sale today, and I decided to finish off Dead Man's Switch. I loaded up my last autosave, and it's at the start of "The Hunt" which seems like the final stage. I can equip stuff on my party, etc. Then I start the mission, and the only active person in the party is my main character. The other characters just stand at their starting positions, and the turns cycle between my MC and the enemies. After I kill the 3 guards, I used an elevator of sorts, and I ended up alone in a lower area with no turns at all. The turns just cycle between enemies and neutral, and I never get to do anything and everyone ignores my guy just standing there. Endless loop.

Seems like it bugged out pretty bad. Any ideas? Is it some issue with legacy saves post-Dragonfall? This kinda sucks...

Danj

Seems like it bugged out pretty bad. Any ideas? Is it some issue with legacy saves post-Dragonfall? This kinda sucks...

Crap, this better not be a thing, I just bought Dragonfall as well and will be annoyed if it's messed up my save :(

Eusis

Perhaps I should be glad I haven't gotten into the game yet but bought the DLC anyway. Then again it's not as if ANYTHING can guard you from surprise bugs.

I grabbed Dragonfall off the sale today, and I decided to finish off Dead Man's Switch. I loaded up my last autosave, and it's at the start of "The Hunt" which seems like the final stage. I can equip stuff on my party, etc. Then I start the mission, and the only active person in the party is my main character. The other characters just stand at their starting positions, and the turns cycle between my MC and the enemies. After I kill the 3 guards, I used an elevator of sorts, and I ended up alone in a lower area with no turns at all. The turns just cycle between enemies and neutral, and I never get to do anything and everyone ignores my guy just standing there. Endless loop.

Happened to me too in Dead Man's Switch on Android. It was the one mission in which you need a skillful decker to assault a building. I had to reload a previous savegame to finish the mission.

And that reminded me Dragonfall has yet to be released on Android :(

duckroll

This is a fucking joke. I try to rewind my save to the previous mission, but it just keeps loading the latest one. I try to restart the level either mid-mission or when I die, and I get the character creation screen.

Looks like it's completely FUBAR. What a waste of time.

Durante

Hmm, I actually did the exact same thing (didn't want to play the final mission pre-save-anywhere), luckily this didn't happen to me :/

Anyway, the initial release was a technical mess, and Dragonfall, while better, is still far from good in that regard. On one of my systems it just runs at 10 FPS for no reason (so I play on another one). The technical aspects are really the both games' largest issue -- and I say that as someone who thinks e.g. Obsidian's and Bethesda's technical problems (at least on PC) are way overblown.

duckroll

I managed to fix it. I uninstalled the Dragonfall DLC. Loaded up the vanilla game, and this time rewinding worked. I just had to replay the estate part of the game (which thankfully has no combat and is just NPC interaction), do all my final upgrades and stuff, and made a few manual saves just in case, picked my party and loaded into the final mission. Then I reinstalled the Dragonfall DLC, loaded it up, and loaded the latest manual saves. Worked fine, played through The Hunt, now I'm on to Into the Depths. No visible issues this time.

I would have been reaaaaaaaally pissed if the save was corrupted for good.

Durante

Good! If you made it through Dead Man's Switch I think you'll enjoy Dragonfall a lot. It's better in pretty much every way.

epmode

Minor gripe: The game constantly zooms out whenever you interact with something which can be annoying if you like to play whle zoomed in. Is there a max zoom hotkey or something?

duckroll

Dragonfall is pretty impressive for what it is so far. Only several missions in, but it definitely feels way more like a proper RPG than the original campaign. There isn't really more freedom per se, but within the confines of the engine they managed to do much more interesting stuff here.

Having a proper party being introduced from the start with actual motivations and characteristics is a pretty big deal. While the original felt like a pick-your-generic-party with some options of story characters, it's the reverse here where you have a pretty well balanced story party, but also the option of swapping them out for generics if you want specific gameplay options.

The other huge improvement is in general interactivity. Missions feel like they have more optional things to play around with, more optional objectives, slightly more options to stack the odds if you're observant or have the right skills, etc. I really like that. The home hub is much more of a proper town than the original campaign too, with enough area to actually feel like you're exploring it the first time you're there, and enough geography to feel that the various NPCs occupy actual personal spaces in the town, rather than just hanging out randomly in one building.

Having a narrative which allows the player to actually pick from a number of missions to keep working towards a general goal in a slightly non-linear way also breaks up the pace and creates more of the illusion of freedom. I appreciate the thought, because it's clear that the engine as it is works in a very modular way, but they're done a good job of thinking outside of the box to create an experience which feels like a proper evolution rather than just another campaign like the first one.

Pretty happy with it so far. :)

cj_iwakura

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/927206

9793094778fe85747632acaddd1851d3_large.png

:D Next month, free to all backers, will be sold as stand alone.

zkylon

zkylewd
#1 thing i want is a de-tabletization of the ui

it put me off really bad from playing the expansion which i bet is all kinds of awesome

please have more hotkeys, less wasteful animation on menus and overall better usability

btw i think they said it'll be officially announced next month but it'll release on september?

Dire

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/927206

9793094778fe85747632acaddd1851d3_large.png

:D Next month, free to all backers, will be sold as stand alone.

...the Director’s Cut will be FREE to all Backers and to all owners of the expansion version of Dragonfall..

Looks like it's free to everybody who's already purchased or backed the game. I can't wait to see the changes. Dragonfall was good, but could have been so much better. It did so much great, but on the other hand lost a lot of functionality even compared to the version on the Genesis that released more than 20 years ago which had stuff like a completely open world and randomly generated shadowruns you could go on for xp/nuyen.

AColdDay

I'm incredibly curious about what they are going to add to this. I mean, if it is just the same type of content, but just more of it, then that is less compelling then substantial mechanic changes. The Matrix missions in general are still a weak spot and the game still has some balancing issues that could be addressed.

I just really want them to let the users have more input in the editor. I still believe we are at a point where we can't add our own music, or any new models. You can quickly burn through the existing model offering pretty quickly and sometimes you can't find the right music in the library that matches the mood of your scene.

Just got an update from Harebrained; backers check your email.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director’s Cut will be released for Windows, OSX & Linux on September 18th, 2014 for $14.99. It will be available on Steam, GoG, and the Humble Store. And - in case you missed our previous update: as a continued “thank you” for your support, the Director’s Cut will be FREE to all Backers and owners of the original Dragonfall release.

To tell you more about what’s in the Director’s Cut, we’ll be posting a new developer diary each Thursday between now and launch, looking at a different aspect of what we’ve been working on.

Week 1 (8/21): Andrew McIntosh discusses the new missions and other kinds of content we’ve added to Dragonfall.
Week 2 (8/28): Jon Everist talks about his experience composing music for Dragonfall and expanding the game’s soundtrack for the Director’s Cut.
Week 3 (9/4): Trevor King-Yost explains the major improvements we’ve made to Dragonfall’s combat systems.
Week 4 (9/10): Mike McCain shows the new in-game interface and talks about how it makes combat more fun and intuitive.

Here's a teaser screenshots of the new UI improvements:

DFDC-001.jpg

Ricker

Might try and finish that last section I am stuck at and gave up on it...I wonder if the save will carry over or if I will have to restart though...? not a backer but I bought the game.

kiyoaki

Some more information on the additions and improvements in the director's cut:

Companion Story Missions
(...)
In Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director’s Cut, you will find three new full-length missions that tie directly into the personal stories of Glory, Eiger, and Blitz. These stories range from supernatural horror to techno-thriller to dark comedy, and each mission touches on a different aspect of the Shadowrun universe.

Your companion characters can also earn unique rewards for completing their story missions.

(...)

Crew Advancement - You wanted more control over how your companion NPCs progressed in Dragonfall, and in the Director’s Cut, we’re delivering! Because Eiger, Glory, Dietrich, and Blitz are their own people, we aren’t giving you complete control over their character sheets; Eiger will always be a deadly ranged combatant, and Dietrich will never decide to give up magic and embark on an exciting new career as a decker. Instead, we’re implementing a system that will allow you to choose one of two all-new, unique enhancements for each of your companion characters every time they advance in skill.

(...)

Additional Missions - In addition to the Companion Story Missions detailed above, two other full-length missions have been added to the game.

Additional Endings - Without delving into spoiler territory, I can say that we’ve always wanted to explore some “what if?” scenarios related to Shadowrun: Dragonfall’s ending. There are two additional endings in the Director’s Cut; these new endings have been designed to give players even more agency in deciding how the story should unfold.

More Character Development - Several side characters from Shadowrun: Dragonfall have had their roles significantly enhanced, from the enigmatic Absinthe to the anarchistic Lucky Strike.

More Lore - There’s even more great Shadowrun lore in the Director’s Cut, including more easter eggs for long-time fans of the pen-and-paper game.

mrsmr2

Hopefully, they'll get rid of the need for an internet connection with this version. I have the HB version and it bugs me having to allow the game to access the internet.

Just got the latest update complete w/ trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyUktyFHrb4&feature=youtu.be

From the Steam Store page:

New in the Director’s Cut
Standalone: Due to popular demand, Dragonfall is now a completely standalone title!

Five All-New Missions: The Director’s Cut features five all-new original missions, including three related directly to the personal stories of your team members. These missions take you to previously-unseen locales - both within the Flux State and beyond - where you’ll have to face challenging enemies and make tough choices in order to help your team members prevail.

Revamped Combat System: The Dragonfall combat system has received a major overhaul. An all-new armor system adds another tactical layer to the experience, while refined cover and damage mechanics emphasize the importance of battlefield positioning. Complementing these improvements is an upgraded AI system which reacts more intelligently and accurately to your actions.

Redesigned Interface: The Dragonfall in-game interface has also been rebuilt. Spells, items and abilities are now much easier to access, while improved combat feedback allows you to fully understand the tactical situation in any given encounter.

Customize Your Team: Guide your team members as they progress in each of their unique roles, choosing between different focus options to grant them new items and abilities. In addition, if you don’t like a team member’s default spell, item or weapon loadout, you can now customize what they bring on each mission.

Ten New Pieces of Original Music: Fan-favorite composer Jon Everist brings ten new tracks of moody cyberpunk music to the Dragonfall experience, including compositions based on the stories of individual members of your team.

The Complete Dragonfall Soundtrack: As a free bonus, the Director’s Cut includes the entire soundtracks from both Dragonfall AND our previous title, Shadowrun Returns. This also includes the brand new tracks exclusive to the Director’s Cut. Featuring music from the composers of the classic Shadowrun SEGA and SNES games, this exciting cyberpunk soundtrack pays homage to the past with a modern sentiment.

Kvik

I'm downloading the Director's Cut now as we speak. Have any of you guys played it yet? Or still too busy playing Destiny? :p

Moff

so wait, I bought dragonfall in the last steam sale, does that mean I get the improved directors cut for free now? where?

Kvik

Yeah, you will get the director's cut if you already own Dragonfall. It's also come out on Linux/SteamOS today as well.

EVOL 100%

Just played through the intro mission

The UI feels a lot more snappy, the game is a bit prettier and the combat seems to be more difficult than the EP version. Other than that I can't see much difference, although obviously that's to be expected. This version uses the Seattle portrait set for some reason though

I played a bit of it yesterday. Was there a graphical update as well? I find it looks a lot better, somehow.

The new UI is great, but I need to know: is there a hotkey for selecting an attack (not a weapon)?

Harebrained has done more than a double fine job on Dragonfall.

I'm not seeing it in my Steam library (still shows the old 1.0 Dragonfall). Is there a way to force an update that anyone knows about?

Restart Steam and then verify the game's cache, that should all but guarantee you have the most recent files.

I kickstarted this and never got around to playing it, now seems like a good time. Is the save anywhere function retroactive to Shadowrun Returns vanilla?

EVOL 100%

Played a bit more, it's pretty much the same game so far tbh. Combat does feel improved but not to the point where it feels like an entirely different game. I'm not complaining though, this was for free. I do wish that they gave you the option to use custom portraits instead of forcing you to fuck with the actual files of the game however

I kickstarted this and never got around to playing it, now seems like a good time. Is the save anywhere function retroactive to Shadowrun Returns vanilla?

You can now save all the time except for during combat and conversations

Linkark07

Banned
Didn't know the Director's Cut was released.

For GoG users, the redeem link is below of the download links of your Shadowrun game (assuming you bought Dragonfall).

Downloading it right now.

Top Bottom