• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall |OT| Choose Your Enemies Carefully

zkylon

zkylewd
anyone knows if there are hotkeys for your skills?

i find it super annoying that 1-4 are used for changing weapons when apparently there's nothing for skills :/

Talyn

Sorry/not sorry for bumping this thread. Man, it feels like Shadowrun just can't catch a break. First Dragonfall was released as DLC and didn't get much attention even though it was vastly improved over the original campaign so they create a director's cut with added content and release it...the day before Wasteland 2 came out.

So once again it's not getting much attention and now HBS has released an update on Kickstarter basically asking backers to go out and spread the word about the new Dragonfall release. It's kinda sad really, don't they have any sort of PR ability of their own? Why on earth would they decide to release it the day before Wasteland 2 came out, knowing that game has been hyped up for months now? (That's not a knock against Wasteland 2, I was a backer of it as well and am going to play it next.) As a fan it's frustrating, I really would like to see a 3rd campaign but I don't know if it will ever happen.

GavinUK86

Sorry/not sorry for bumping this thread. Man, it feels like Shadowrun just can't catch a break. First Dragonfall was released as DLC and didn't get much attention even though it was vastly improved over the original campaign so they create a director's cut with added content and release it...the day before Wasteland 2 came out.

So once again it's not getting much attention and now HBS has released an update on Kickstarter basically asking backers to go out and spread the word about the new Dragonfall release. It's kinda sad really, don't they have any sort of PR ability of their own? Why on earth would they decide to release it the day before Wasteland 2 came out, knowing that game has been hyped up for months now? (That's not a knock against Wasteland 2, I was a backer of it as well and am going to play it next.) As a fan it's frustrating, I really would like to see a 3rd campaign but I don't know if it will ever happen.

Shadowrun is way, way better than Wasteland 2 in my opinion.

Both are great campaigns and the Director's Cut blew my mind how much improved everything is.

mrsmr2

I'm avoiding downloading the Humble Bundle version as I see there is already a patch for the Steam version. HB looks like it is v2.

Any idea if it will patch itself after installation, or do I need to wait for the latest version to be put on HB?

cj_iwakura

Shadowrun is way, way better than Wasteland 2 in my opinion.

Both are great campaigns and the Director's Cut blew my mind how much improved everything is.

Is Wasteland that much more popular than Shadowrun? One's a niche PC RPG but the other's a storied PBP RPG that's been around for decades.

Lumine

This seems to be the most recent active Shadowrun thread so I guess I'll ask here. I'm about to start Dragonfall - director's cut campaign. Anything I should know before I start? I've only played the original campaign. I'm thinking of making a Street Samurai again. Or maybe a Mage, not too sure yet. More importantly, what difficulty should I play it on? I played Dead Man's Switch on normal I think. It seemed weirdly balanced though as I was always short on money for everything even when I was close to finishing the game. Yet most of the combat was easy enough. Especially when you realize you can just sort of hang back and lure the enemy towards you through a choke point. What do you guys think?

edit: Oh I thought this topic was in community. Perhaps someone can move it? Surely I'm not the only one playing this currently with the director's cut released recently. :p

cj_iwakura

This seems to be the most recent active Shadowrun thread so I guess I'll ask here. I'm about to start Dragonfall - director's cut campaign. Anything I should know before I start? I've only played the original campaign. I'm thinking of making a Street Samurai again. Or maybe a Mage, not too sure yet. More importantly, what difficulty should I play it on? I played Dead Man's Switch on normal I think. It seemed weirdly balanced though as I was always short on money for everything even when I was close to finishing the game. Yet most of the combat was easy enough. Especially when you realize you can just sort of hang back and lure the enemy towards you through a choke point. What do you guys think?

edit: Oh I thought this topic was in community. Perhaps someone can move it? Surely I'm not the only one playing this currently with the director's cut released recently. :p

Play on Normal, Hard for later playthroughs. Dragonfall is not what I'd call easy.

I think DMS is harder, but DF is no slouch.

Lumine

Thanks for the answer! Are you sure though? DMS seemed really easy to me. The game just never gave me enough money to buy anything more than the bare essentials, but even then it seemed easy enough. That said I suppose I'd play the game more for the RPG experience as a whole rather than the tactical challenge it might or might not provide. :p

Guess I'll just stick with normal after all. Thanks again!

cj_iwakura

Thanks for the answer! Are you sure though? DMS seemed really easy to me. The game just never gave me enough money to buy anything more than the bare essentials, but even then it seemed easy enough. That said I suppose I'd play the game more for the RPG experience as a whole rather than the tactical challenge it might or might not provide. :p

Guess I'll just stick with normal after all. Thanks again!

There's nothing in Dragonfall on the level of the bug BS from DMS, just a couple tricky mob levels.

kiyoaki

The iOS version of Dragonfall Director's Cut is now available on the App store. It costs $7 and is worth every cent of that, and then some.

ArjanN

The iOS version of Dragonfall Director's Cut is now available on the App store. It costs $7 and is worth every cent of that, and then some.

Yeah, just finished it, I really liked how there's like at least 6 different ways to handle the ending.

116b640930cb4a8353edb1f6b0dddc8d_large.png

Hmm...

pahamrick

So, I take it there's not going to be a Director's Cut style upgrade of the original campaign with all the UI improvements?

Teaser image that just went out for the new setting in a KS update.

bd349ffed20ce3e3f9a71369cee8687a_large.jpg

Here's a piece of look & feel concept art for our new setting. We'll show how it translates into Shadowrun's isometric gameplay view when our Kickstarter launches in January!

kiyoaki

Hong Kong it is, then. The art looks stunning BTW, it reminds me very much of some of the better artworks for the pen & paper RPG.

Lime

Wait what is this? Do funders get this? I haven't heard about any new setting as such.

I'll gladly pay for it though, Dragonfall was really good

Fjordson

Wait what is this? Do funders get this? I haven't heard about any new setting as such.

I'll gladly pay for it though, Dragonfall was really good
HBS is doing a new Kickstarter next month for a new game (or just a new campaign I guess) set in Hong Kong.

After the original campaign I would have been hesitant to back a second Kickstarter, but now having played Dragonfall I'm on board for whatever HBS does next with Shadowrun.

Miker

Does anybody have dos and don'ts for building a character? I mainly want to know if there are stats that are worthless or how I can avoid screwing over myself. And is it better to specialize in one thing, or is the system flexible enough to support something like a shotgunner/magic user?

Fjordson

Does anybody have dos and don'ts for building a character? I mainly want to know if there are stats that are worthless or how I can avoid screwing over myself. And is it better to specialize in one thing, or is the system flexible enough to support something like a shotgunner/magic user?
I wouldn't spread points around too much, but you could probably do shotgun and magic. Two main avenues is fine.

I'd also recommend pumping points into charisma for the different speech etiquettes. Gives you additional options in dialogue on some missions that open up new info or just make missions go more smoothly. But that's just me, totally optional.

Sajjaja

So guys, I just the Director's Cut during the Steam sale. Hope this is the right thread.

I'm having trouble deciding what class to play. I just finished Returns as a Decker/Rigger. It was pretty fun but I feel like doing something different this time around. Was thinking of doing a Physical Adept or a Shaman but I've been hearing mixed things and I don't know exactly what a Shaman does.

Anyone have thoughts on the matter?

ICKE

Banned
This game was an incredible experience. I can't believe this thread only has seven pages.

The ending was satisfying as well.

-Killed APEX
-Set the hippie dragon free so that she can tend to her flowers
-Accepted the offer

kanamechan

Yeah, it was an incredibly good game that's severly underappreciated. It seems barely anyone knows about it sometimes :(

Definitely considering backing that Hong Kong thing when it rears its head after Dragonfall.

ICKE

Banned
Yeah, it was an incredibly good game that's severly underappreciated. It seems barely anyone knows about it sometimes :(

Definitely considering backing that Hong Kong thing when it rears its head after Dragonfall.

Same here, it is a shame that many of these companies can't find a way to advertise their games properly. Dragonfall was better than most AAA releases last year. The game was more captivating than Divinity for me, I really liked the atmosphere and the side missions were also well written.

Glory, that was one brutal story.

kanamechan

Yeah, that background story was really, really well done.

I also have to agree on Divinity. Divinity was good, but Dragonfall just felt a bit more meaty with decisions to me. Divinity was more mechanically sound (burning stuff, interaction of fields), but Dragonfall just seems more like an actual tabletop RP in computer form.

Sajjaja

Man...I can't get enough of these games. I'm probably going to give Dragonfall another playthrough or two once I finish this one. It really just nails the atmosphere. The writing is great, art design is stellar and the characters feel real. The difference between Returns and Dragonfall is pretty amazing. The story has me hooked too. Really great job at setting up the suspense and mystery behind it all.

cj_iwakura

You all would love the anthology that was given to backers. I wonder if it ever got a legit release? Some of the writing was fantastic.

I wish Berlin had Cherry Bomb.

pahamrick

You all would love the anthology that was given to backers. I wonder if it ever got a legit release? Some of the writing was fantastic.

I wish Berlin had Cherry Bomb.

Can't you get a digital version of the anthology by getting the deluxe edition / upgrade on Steam?

Also, anyone have any suggested mods to give a shot? I finished the Director's Cut version of Dragonfall, and the new stuff was really good which got me in the mod to try some mods. I've already been checking out Shadowrun Unlimited which seems to be THE mod at the moment but wouldn't mind some more.

Fjordson

Can't wait. I just finished my second playthrough of Dragonfall last night.

I wonder if they'll be able to make this campaign even bigger. I got a good 23 hours or so out of Dragonfall.

Viridian6

Started my playthrough, so far so good.

During battles, there's sometimes a perceptible lag/stutter just before one of my party members executes an attack (usually burst fire triggers this). Very annoying. Have an i5 4570 and R9 290, so hardware shouldn't be an issue.

After completing the
APEX
mission, the game doesn't react to move commands at all. Can't even save. Wasted hours until I figured out that the game will finish one "interact" command after I open and close the menu. But no way to get the loot and get out. Very frustrating.

Anyone had a similar issue?

Fjordson

After completing the
APEX
mission, the game doesn't react to move commands at all. Can't even save. Wasted hours until I figured out that the game will finish one "interact" command after I open and close the menu. But no way to get the loot and get out. Very frustrating.

Anyone had a similar issue?
Is that where you destroy it? With the turrets? With enemies coming in from two different sides?

If so, then did you try to save at all? Even during the fight? What I found is that saving, in any way (even an F5 quicksave), made the game freeze like you're describing. Before, during or after the fight in that area. Really weird. Once I finally realized that I went through the fight and waited until I was back in the Kreuzbasar before trying to save. Worked fine at that point and I didn't have anymore problems.

Top Bottom