• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shahid Kamal: "Two words you're going to hear a lot of on PS4- 1080p/60fps"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not off to the best start in that case are we Shahid? There's already plenty of titles on the PS4 that aren't 60fps. Not that I care, I want my games rendered at 1080p and locked at 30fps if it means they look better as a result (Second Son *drools*), but he shouldn't make grand statements like this if his company can't already abide by them.

Unless he's referring solely to indie games. If he is then okay, fair enough.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I know that statement has high content of PR in it. But will it be that hard for coming up titles to hit 10800/60fps given enough time?

It's important to remember that Shahid mostly works with indies and any statements he makes about stuff like this should mostly be considered to be about indies.

ibt8iYJZWLHm3U.gif

zroid

Banned
Shahid seems like a nice guy, but for some reason no matter what he says, the words feel coated with a layer of disgusting ooze.

Considering all the indie and PSN only titles coming I'm sure we'll hear those "two words" together quite often. Dangerous words to say from him. I hope they live up to it, though. Uncharted 4 at 1080p 60fps would be pretty swell.

Lion

It's important to remember that Shahid mostly works with indies and any statements he makes about stuff like this should mostly be considered to be about indies.

Oh lol I though he was a Sony guy, nvm then. Well on indie games I don't see why not.

Edit: wait he is a Sony guy that works with indies. Now I get it.

Salex_

I like how people are equating 'Lot of 1080p/60fps games' to 'every game should have 1080p/60fps'.

Are we going to have a generation where people point out every single game that's not 1080p/60fps or both on PS4?

Reading comprehension is lacking for some people. It's amazing how quick someone will point out 1 game out of the library while ignoring the many games of the lineup that are 1080p/60 FPS. This statement will always be brought up now when we find out a game is 1080p/30 FPS. GG Shahid :(

I like how people are equating 'Lot of 1080p/60fps games' to 'every game should have 1080p/60fps'.

Are we going to have a generation where people point out every single game that's not 1080p/60fps or both on PS4?

it's a similar situation with the xbox, call of dooty? 720p, battlefield? 720p
"xbox can't do 1080p", but it can, there are games like forza, and nba 2k14

besides shahid didn't say everything will be 1080p @ 60fps
just a lot of them will be

It's just going to be a lot of selective people going
"BUT WHAT ABOUT *insert title*
it's going to be like that for both systems

it's a similar situation with the xbox, call of dooty? 720p, battlefield? 720p
"xbox can't do 1080p", but it can, there are games like forza, and nba 2k14

besides shahid didn't say everything will be 1080p @ 60fps
just a lot of them will be

It's just going to be a lot of selective people going
"BUT WHAT ABOUT *insert title*
it's going to be like that for both systems

It will not, after a point, you just have to accept that one of them is taking less effort to reach a minimum. and the real start of the next gen will begin.

Gbraga

Reading comprehension is lacking for some people. It's amazing how quick someone will point out 1 game out of the library while ignoring the many games of the lineup that are 1080p/60 FPS. This statement will always be brought up now when we find out a game is 1080p/30 FPS. GG Shahid :(

He did say "Give me 60 or give me death", so the amount of games in the launch lineup that already fail to meet that is relevant.

If he just said "you'll se a lot of 1080p/60fps games on the PS4", I'd be like "yeah, I know."

It would probably not even be thread worthy (it would get a thread anyway though)

i-Lo

Personally, if I wanted 60fps 1080p w/o compromise, I'd play on PC. As such, while I find it commendable, eventually in years to come we will see substantial number of 30fps games. People didn't complain this entire generation and they won't now. I just want the devs not be restrained by arbitrary limits this gen.

Shahid works primarily on indie titles, and I'd be very surprised if we see any of those that aren't 1080p/60fps, so from where he's looking at it from, that's probably the norm for new games right now.

The big boys will obviously not be delivering that right off the bat though.

Pretty much this. He's the indie guy at sony, and i'm pretty sure the vast majority of indie games will be able to do 1080p@60.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I'm looking forwards to the framerate analysis on Knack and Killzone (SP and MP) from digital foundry, to see what they average, because calling them both 60 is a bit optimistic. they're both more than 30 though.

warframe and blacklight too, though i guess they might have cleaned those up since the end of september.

i feel like this is the sort of tweet that could come back to haunt a guy.

Gbraga

Personally, if I wanted 60fps 1080p w/o compromise, I'd play on PC. As such, while I find it commendable, eventually in years to come we will see substantial number of 30fps games. People didn't complain this entire generation and they won't now. I just want the devs not be restrained by arbitrary limits this gen.

I really don't have a problem with the "get a PC then" mentality (I did buy one last year for the 60fps greatness), but not every game is on PC. Not even talking about Sony exclusives, there are also console exclusives. I wish I could just buy Killer is Dead in another platform to play it at 60fps, but there was no such choice.

So yeah, while "play on PC" is a valid answer, it's not valid for everyone.

Alej

Banned
Last february, at reveal, no one from Sony was pushing for 1080p/60fps. Or maybe it wasn't their focus at the time.

But then something has changed, X1 was revealed to be less powerful, and Sony guys actually listened us about DRM and things... like 60fps.

This is from Stewart Gilray, Just Add Water's CEO, three days after X1 reveal:
http://www.videogamer.com/news/sony_actively_pushing_for_60fps_1080p_with_ps4.html said:
We might see slightly smoother framerates on PS4. We're working with Sony right now, and they're trying to actively push 60 frames per second, 1080p. You might get situations where the graphics will be a little, but not much, lower quality on the Xbox One," he continued. "Or, you might get some fixed at 30 frames per second situations in 1080p. It depends on the scale of the game. If your game is going to push the heck out of the PS4, you might have to do some little tweaks [for the Xbox One version]. But if you design your game to work on Xbox One at 60, it's going to work on PS4 at 60.

Since then, GG was pushing for 60fps (revealed much later, KZ multi 60fps and then unlocked SP), Drive Club too (and then delayed)... What i think is, their position has changed, those games weren't designed for 60fps from the get-go, and looking at PS4's hardware superiority, maybe they understood the message we, as core as we are, claimed for years: 60fps is better, and they did because it's achievable without compromises against competition.

They know they have the "power gap" to do it. And i think they will push two things, physics (realizing their advantage in compute) and 60fps over X1's games. Because they know multiplatform will be kind of the same, and likely much closer to 1080p 60fps for PS4 when the same game targets 30fps on X1 (at 1080p or 900p, that's it).

And it's the best for them, because it can actually make PS4 the best place for core gamers (even if the graphical gap isn't as big as rumoured).

Gbraga

warframe and blacklight too, though i guess they might have cleaned those up since the end of september.

i feel like this is the sort of tweet that could come back to haunt a guy.

Warframe should have no problem getting stable 60 at 1080p, the game is not very demanding at all (it does look pretty good, but runs very well). Unless they added a bunch of graphical stuff to the PS4 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom