• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Elliott's Video Game Symposium Begins, 1: Review Scores

You should be part of the symposium. Why did you assume I was American? Please let me know, I will try to correct whatever gave you that impression.

kylej

Banned
Punchy said:
In a time with a massive economic downturn, multiple wars being fought by our countrymen, domestic surveillance, the increasingly technology-dependent nature of modern society, the slow death of our ecosystem, and the continuation of ruthless capitalism in our country, this is what you decide to flip out about?

You're part of the problem with the human race.

*glances over at katana* *straightens fedora*

Brendon

Durandal said:
Like Fraggamemnon said, its better to go through a games forum with the bullshit filter on to learn about a game. Or watch a couple videos and check the demo.

It's ALWAYS better to get opinions and learn about something from more than a single person.

As for your arguments about reviews being mostly pointless... For the most part, they are. That's why you need to find smaller, lesser known sites. I have seen plenty of small one or two man operations with reviews that are way better reads than anything IGN, 1UP, or GameSpot put out. Unfortunately, people don't read those unless the site becomes super popular or gets on MetaCritic. And if you're using an abstract scoring method (such as buy/rent/skip as opposed to 1-10), there's not a very high likelihood of being added to MetaCritic very easily.

Like I said somewhere at the beginning of this thread, talking about reviews is fun and a good time waster/way to better your own standards, but in terms of the entire industry it won't accomplish anything substantial. You can't regulate reviews, and no matter what any symposium points out big sites aren't going to drastically change their ways once they're on top.

I want to ramble more, but I've got the flu so it's time to get back to bed before I make myself pass out :lol

Snowden

Banned
Punchy said:
In a time with a massive economic downturn, multiple wars being fought by our countrymen, domestic surveillance, the increasingly technology-dependent nature of modern society, the slow death of our ecosystem, and the continuation of ruthless capitalism in our country, this is what you decide to flip out about?
Saying you realize your own hypocrisy doesn't exactly free you up from being hypocritical with shit like this.

I really enjoy this, To hear in podcast form would be Amazing

So many good points brought up, but I don't think the industry or the audience is mature enough to appreciate good journalism yet. I mean check out the Killzone 2 thread when the reviews started coming in. I was getting ill listening to those assholes complain about a 9.5 for graphics and stuff like that.

LCfiner

Cat in the Hat said:
:lol You clearly read it huh.

He might have been talking about GAF. in which case he's clearly right.

man, If I read part two tonight while NPD numbers come in, could I get any nerdier?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RedNumberFive said:
I'm sorry but some of you guys care WAY too much about attaching numbers to video games.

I'm sorry but what are you doing in this thread?

Also cant this get a new thread, to stimulate new discussion? Just posting it in here, with no indication a new topic was posted, is pretty self defeating.

Or lazy

LCfiner

HK-47 said:
I'm sorry but what are you doing in this thread?

Also cant this get a new thread, to stimulate new discussion? Just posting it in here, with no indication a new topic was posted, is pretty self defeating.

Or lazy

agreed. Does BB want to start this up again?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
dan hsu said:
I suspect Robert’s example might’ve worked out fine because, really...how many people out there in the U.S. really care about a review of a PSP soccer game? But imagine the backlash he would’ve gotten if he gave a B- to a Final Fantasy game, claiming he’s never really been into that series or genre before. That’s a serious credibility hit to that outlet, too.

holy shit.

Cat in the Hat said:
:lol You cleary read it huh.

I skimmed through it (I'm not reading all of that!!!), and I just don't get the weird emotional attachment to game reviews and scores. I don't need to read a novel sized approach to the "art" of game reviewing. I like the work that a lot of these guys put out, but really, at the end of the day, it's just some dude writing about his impressions of playing a game. You don't see Ebert and Gene Shalit starting podcast after podcast, and discussion after discussion, time and time again, about the nobility and importance of movie criticism. I'm not trying to be offending, but I'm getting bored of these conversations.

LCfiner said:
agreed. Does BB want to start this up again?

I made the OP to hold all of them, as this looks like an ongoing conversation about reviewing. I thought it would be best served by an ongoing topic, especially since this installment refers to posts in this very thread.

The only thing that would help would be a change in Title with every new installment.

John Davison
..., I found that it was our strategy guys more than any other that wielded significant influence over the audience of their niche within a niche. These guys had an encyclopedic knowledge of historical warfare, were extremely comfortable with hex-based war games, and could tell you things about individual weapons (and whether the game employed them correctly) that would make your head spin. Not only did we use them because they knew their stuff, but we also used them because -- let's face it -- you have to be wired up a certain way to be that into something like that, and other people on the team just couldn't tolerate these kinds of games. We knew there was a portion of the audience that was equally nerdy about such things, so we put the war game guy on the war games -- and everyone was happy.

I miss cgw's and pc gamers strat section.

Slavik81

I finally got around to reading the entire thing recently. It was surprisingly good. Certainly the best piece I'd seen from Shawn and generally one of the best around (regardless of organizing site or editor).

Durandal said:
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171483

It does not tell you anything about the game. So it ends up with an A. And if i wouldnt have played the game i wouldnt even really know what it is about. How is this a review?
Wow. I enjoyed reading that, but my takeaway is that it's a remake of an old, good RPG. It has a couple minor enhancements. It's good too.

I suppose that's a fine review if that's what you're after... but the line they drew between a critique and review definitely is in force here. It doesn't discuss any of the trade-offs of the game's design or any specifics of its strengths or flaws.

I don't have anything insightful to say so I'll just point out that 99% of reviews I consume (and like 99.9999% of general videogame discussion) are about games I will never play

Basically reviews (to me) serve the same purpose as games - simply to waste time

So why not worry less about my expectations and worry more about making sure you're writing what you want to write? I think Jeff (and Giantbomb in general) got this point, and I think it comes thru in his site (and podcast!)

Thats my opinion at least

Oh, and I agree with Stephen 100%. Reviewers aren't me and they'll never understand why I love Dynasty Warriors or why DW: Strikefore will be GOTY (DW with superpowers, come on? How is that not progress!)

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Technosteve said:
I miss cgw's and pc gamers strat section.

1. pay some hobo half a pizza to house sit for an afternoon.

2. order your pc parts.

3. get in on the men of war beta.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I read the entire symposium and wrote a big old wall of text while I was banned and forgot to post it. I would normally spread stuff like this out over several posts but this thread is long dead. So here it is:

The core problem with game reviews:
The core problem with game reviews is that they must serve many purposes for their audience but they are not optimal for any of them. They are used as a buyer's guide, a critique, a recording of how a genre is advancing and how much the bar has been raised, a record of the impact a game had on the community when it was first released, a way to compare similar games, etc. But in the end they're just someone's opinion and they should only be judged and presented as such. That's why the "What you've been playing" segments on podcasts are so refreshing. They are honest and completely unpretentious. I think someone should explore better ways to take care of those other tasks (like a giant game wiki of some sort).

Why review scores do matter
I disagree with the idea that scores are only fodder for dirty, unwashed masses and forum goers, and that reviewers should aspire to rise above them. They can be a good summary of a reviewer's experience with a game. Sometimes that summary is all you want, and no site has come up with anything that is as pithy as a review score yet. I'm not going to read a wall of text if I only want to know if Cunt Kicker 2 lived up to the original before I buy it. Also, words alone are not always sufficient, because there are many aspects of the gaming experience that cannot be fully articulated. The review might even be better off without throwaway qualitative statements (i.e. this game is awesome/horrible). I just think the scores should be given context.

As it was mentioned before, the score can act as a centerpoint for discussion, and it can quickly give you a rough idea of whether a game is worth buying. But again, context is important. Budget games rarely get good scores, and if the premise sounds good enough you can ignore the score altogether. EDF 2017 is a good example of this. GTAIV is on the opposite end of this spectrum. That is why review score aggregating sites have the potential to paint a false picture of a game. The scores are being aggregated to give a result that is devoid of any context. My problem with meta-critic is that the context is just as important as the content (if not more so). A score by itself can lose a lot of its value. Background information on the review process would also help.

The Vanilla ice cream principle: Why popular things tend to be bland
Another thing I've noticed is that the blander something is the more potential it has to be popular. The most popular ice cream is vanilla because its flavor is rather inoffensive, so it will usually be in everyone's top 3. But individuals often move on to more personalized faire. So too with gaming. Tetris will always end up in the top 10 greatest of all time. It is a very safe choice. But most puzzle fans have other personal favorites (mine is Devil Dice). So people's favorites will often be less universally liked. For example, my favorite games usually get a 75%, which is the default score for a game that, while not ostensibly flawed, just didn't click with the reviewer. In a perfect world a game's potential for popularity won't affect the score but we all know what the reality is. You have to have your own filter when you are reading reviews, which is why I've had no problem buying games with low review scores.

GhaleonQ

Once again, I find myself agreeing with Alexander, Gerstmann, and Hsu, despite not caring for their opinions in games. *scratches head*

The benefits of this format are, among other things: 1) There are enough voices to provide a "choice" if one's thoughts aren't fully articulated. 2) I sometimes wonder why I like or dislike certain video games writers. The length of everyone's commentary lets me figure out how their minds work. Now, I know exactly why I hate ___!

So, yeah. Thanks again, Shawn. I wish that I could expound on something more.

Top Bottom