• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sheldon Cooper is such an unbelievable little shit. Why is he so adored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So, over the last few days....I've found myself watching a lot of Big Bang Theory recently and I'm not really sure why. It's one of those sitcoms that personally I've never found particularly funny...but sometimes the cast are on their game and the sets always utilize such bright colors. Besides, it can be diverting enough when you catch a re-run at 2AM. Especially when you're stuck between either watching a Big Bang re-run or Singapore News. I mean, I like Singapore but enough is enough sometimes.

So anyway...

tumblr_l31ue6iPbh1qz9my9o1_500.gif

Sheldon Cooper is an absolutely horrible person.

The guy is a narcissistic, abusive, completely mean-spirited, egotistical nightmare of a human being. He openly mocks and bullies those closest to him every chance he gets, he belittles each and every one of his friend's achievements, even as they continue to bend over backwards for him to constantly meet his deranged demands. They bring him his meals, they drive him wherever he wants to go, they basically do whatever he wants because it's generally "easier". And absolutely no-one challenges him on it!

Then there's Sheldon's pretty abusive relationship with Amy. Now, I actually really like Amy's character. Mayim Bialik generally does a pretty good job with her as presenting the character as something of a flawed and relatively believable human being. But since her character got together with Sheldon, the dude does nothing but insult and ignore her. The woman does everything possible for the creep (buying him consoles, organizing absolutely incredible trips for him) but she gets absolutely nothing in return. This was capped off at the end of the last season by Amy deciding enough was enough, that she was better than this and actually breaking-up with Sheldon (Yes, Amy!) only for the writers to immediately go back on this relatively mature decision by having them get back together again, but only because Sheldon wanted them to. Why, Amy? Why?

$_35.JPG

So why exactly has Sheldon Cooper grown to become such a universally adored pop culture phenomenon? I just don't get it! I mean, people hated Joffrey, didn't they? Is there any possibility the series could end with Leonard and company chucking Sheldon into a volcano...their eyes glistening with joyful tears against a brilliant Hawaiian sunset as the gang finally rid themselves of Sheldon Cooper's wretched presence once and for all? I'd tune in for that finale for sure.

tumblr_lsvaznEml81qlxsxoo2_500.gif

I hate you, Sheldon.

JdFoX187

Banned
My wife got me into watching this show this season and I couldn't agree more. The whole time I'm thinking to myself, "why doesn't someone punch this little shit in the face?"

V_Arnold

I am pretty sure sheldon has some kind of mental issues, because that is the ONLY reason why all this would make sense.

DeviantBoi

All the characters in Seinfeld were horrible people, and yet the show is widely praised.

I'm sure it's something similar here.

He's an embodiment of the power fantasy that being smart entitles you to anything you want, and you don't have to "conform" to society by treating others as equals.

But at the same time he's eccentric enough that the audience can distance themselves and laugh at him.

It's a comedy, people like characters that make them laugh, even if the characters are really assholes.

Of course, the real mystery is people who find Sheldon funny...

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Recent BBT episodes have become unwatchable. Just terrible altogether. The only character I like is the howard wolowitz. Everyone else is an asshole.

SeanC

I agree, but I think some of the reason why he's liked is exactly for those reasons: socially awkward people (nerds!) having some wish fulfillment vicariously through him.

Then again, "nerds" tend to not like The Big Bang Theory anyways so...

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Then there's Sheldon's pretty abusive relationship with Amy. Now, I actually really like Amy's character. Mayim Bialik generally does a pretty good job with her as presenting the character as something of a flawed and relatively believable human being.

No way. Amy starts out as a literal female Sheldon, a complete copy. Then they keep her on and decide to turn her into Sheldon crossed with Wolowitz. She's a gigantic, pervy creep.

Does a character need to be a good person to be likeable? I mean, look at Cartman.
I think the most important part isn't whether they are likeable, but relateable. That is what made a psycho like Killgrave in Jessica Jones good. You can pick out small things about him to relate to, even though overall he is an unlikeable sociopath.

To me, Sheldon comes off completely unlikeable and unrelateable.
Because the guy's got obvious social behaviour issues. He's not being an asshole for a laugh.
Right. Sheldon as a character isn't being an asshole for a laugh. But the writers have certainly made him an asshole for a laugh.

jabuseika

I once knew a "Sheldon" character in real life.

Dude was a nightmare to deal with.

I can't watch that show anymore.

He actually once used the line, "everyone learns to deal with sheldon in the big bang theory, why can't you be like them"...

RDreamer

I watched part of one episode once and he was an insufferable fucking manbaby. It was the episode where he wants to get back together with Amy. I couldn't even watch the whole thing, it was so goddamned bad.

It's one of those sitcoms that personally I've never found very particularly funny...but sometimes the cast are on their game and the sets always utilize such bright colors.

Sounds like someone I know...

MTIwNjA4NjMzNzAzNzI4NjUy.jpg

I do remember hearing the actor mention that he's playing Sheldon as if he has asperger-like symptoms.

Still, I can rarely tolerate him. My fiancée likes me to watch it with her, but every character on that show is annoying as fuck. But I dislike Leonard more than anyone else.

Salamando

Sheldon helps people feel better about their own social failings. They may have their snafus and moments of social awkwardness, and they may ignore their girlfriend all-but-completely, "but at least they're not a Sheldon".

daviyoung

Banned
He's an embodiment of the power fantasy that being smart entitles you to anything you want, and you don't have to "conform" to society by treating others as equals.

But at the same time he's eccentric enough that the audience can distance themselves and laugh at him.

you'd think that, but the socially awkwards just hate him rather than use him as the power fantasy that he should be

I mean most inepts would love to be able to say what they want with no consequence, do what they want with no consequence, be the smartest and still get into japes and have a group of friends like Sheldon, but they'd rather just despise him

they're probably jealous of him, jealous of a fictional sitcom character

Loomba

If it was real life Sheldon would have zero friends, no companionship with anyone and would get beat up on a regular basis.

That's how I like to get through watching an episode anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom