• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sheldon Cooper is such an unbelievable little shit. Why is he so adored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man you guys think that's bad I watched an episode of Two Broke Girls once and the two girls were straight up making fun of a homeless guy Patrick Bateman style.
wtf.png

Shit is even weirder with the laugh track in the background, it's like a tv show for sociopaths. It's not even harmless poking fun, it's mean spirited.

He's endearing the same way that Cartman is, his abrasive personality is what makes him funny. Difference being that Sheldon is genuinely clueless, whereas Cartman is deliberately malicious.

He has Autism, he's hardly an asshole.

Finding out Neogaf has no sympathy this weekend, with gaming side deciding a disabled hero soldier and a Kid who saw his mother killed before they were both about to be euthanized are whiny bitches.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Finding out Neogaf has no sympathy this weekend, with gaming side deciding a disabled hero soldier and a Kid who saw his mother killed before they were both about to be euthanized are whiny bitches.

The makers of the show and the actor playing him have confirmed numerous times that the character doesn't have autism, nor is he on the autistic spectrum. He's just "Sheldon".

neoism

i like sheldon his character is ridiculous because thats the point if i didnt like him at all i wouldnt bother watching... i will say the show is getting boring though... the first 5 seasons were great though...penny in the first few season was insanly hot... then she cut her hair....😩 the tenth season really needs to be its last....

It's serialized so not much carries over, but my point is that the Seinfeld crew get some sort of egg on their faces at the end of the episode. The karma doesn't need to carry over, it just needs to exist in the episode in order to make it work. Sheldon never gets any of that. He's not made to wear a pirate shirt on national TV, he's never accidentally poisoned his fiance because he was too cheap to spring for decent envelopes, he's never dumped a guy for someone better only to discover that person is actually the Wiz, he's never been beaten up for not wearing an AIDS ribbon, he's never walked in on his parents getting it on after trying to get them to walk in on him with his cousin as a form of revenge. There's an example for every single episode, sometimes two.

Sheldon's never had that sort of egg on his face, he's never really gotten much of a comeuppance. Meanwhile the Seinfeld and Always Sunny crews are always getting theirs.
Half of those things aren't even examples of them getting comeuppance. Jerry wasn't being an asshole in the episode where he has to wear a pirate shirt, if anything, he was being too nice by not calling out the woman's low speaking. He was doing exactly what most people would do by being nice about it and just going along with the situation.

If I remember right, George was actually happy with his fiance dying.

Elaine was frequently seen as better off not being with the guy she broke up with for the Wiz. If anything, she looks like worse of a person for the countless times she keeps getting back with him.

I'd also say that the two gay guys are the ones positioned as the assholes when they show up in an episode.

Dereck

In this point in the show, season 9ish, Sheldon has become more human and so have his jokes. So instead of him being funny because he's simply a dick, he's now funny because he displays common complaints that are relatable.

Be honest, OP.... you have a crush on Blossom. That's why you hate Sheldon.

Sheldon's hilarious and has far more oddly human moments than any of the other main male cast. He is a terrible person at times. A funny terrible person who usually seems to genuinely not realize he's being terrible. IMO. I love the character. Howard is a far bigger asshole and worse he KNOWS he's being an asshole.

The audience likes Sheldon because he's doing and saying the craziest things. All other characters cope with him because they have no choice, they're actually Leonard's friends. And Leonard is stuck with Sheldon because he owes him (and probably likes the flat)

This is true.

Man you guys think that's bad I watched an episode of Two Broke Girls once and the two girls were straight up making fun of a homeless guy Patrick Bateman style.
wtf.png

Shit is even weirder with the laugh track in the background, it's like a tv show for sociopaths. It's not even harmless poking fun, it's mean spirited.

Worse than that is how often Kat's character casually jokes about having had sex with pretty much every guy ever from the moment of entering puberty onward, including being obviously molested/raped by uncles/teachers/etc.

GAF identifies with Howard far more, that ought to tell you something.

Bronx-Man

Banned
wtf.png

I don't get Two Broke Girl's appeal. It's 33% shitty jokes about hipsters, 33% shitty sex jokes, and 33% shitty racist jokes.

Fury451

Banned
Exagerations aside, I don't think Sheldon is just a "nerd". The show points out, multiple times, that he can't read emotions and that all interactions he has are...uh...pre-coded (like the whole tea thing). And sometimes it even goes out of its way to say that he can't help it.

True, I suppose it's more of implied Asperger's or something, but I'm not sure that's something that's really funny, especially in the way it's presented. He doesn't come across well, but rather unlikable, which kind of trivializes what it's like to interact with someone with Asperger's (or similar behavior).

But then again it's a sitcom so I guess I'm putting too much expectation on it.

Well, that´s certainly not hyperbolic!

Haha, no it obviously is. I don't really feel that strongly about it, but I do find the generalizations they make on the show grating.

jabuseika

Autism is absolutely no excuse for bad behavior.

I've know people with autism that are incredibly nice, and some of the best people I've ever met.

I've also met the "sheldon" type of people, most of their bad behavior can be traced back to their parents giving in to everything. Expecting people to do everything for you is a learned behavior, it has nothing to do with autism.

Please, talk to anyone that's worked with Autistic kids, they all agree.

riotous

Banned
Sitcoms, and comedy in general often relies upon people sort of treating each other like shit as a plot device. Think about the amount of sit com episodes across the genre whose plot revolves around a lie being told for instance, or a secret being kept.

sobaka770

Banned
What's so hard to understand?

He's the "model" of a crazy nerd scientist. He's brilliant at work, he has perfect logic skills and eudetic memory, but in all other areas of life he's childlike and knows nothing. Yes, he does act shittily towards others, but most of the time he simply doesn't understand what he does wrong.

I mean you woudn't punch a child in the face, wouldn't you? Sheldon is the same, you can kick him to death but he won't understand what he does wrong. And that's what makes him funny as well.

Zoe

Sheldon's personality comes more from growing up without any suitable peers, not because of any mental issues (his mother has him tested). He's mellowed out a lot over the years.

He's also pretty normal when he gets drunk.

PBalfredo

Regarding the Seinfeld and Always Sunny comparisons: it's not that Sheldon is the only asshole on TV, it's more that he's a constant asshole to his supposed friends. The cast of Seinfeld was mostly assholes to people outside the group. While the Always Sunny crew are all equally assholes to each other, they also genuinely stick together (mostly because no one else outside the gang would ever put up with them). Meanwhile, Sheldon is constantly an asshole to his "friends", who in turn only seem to hang out with him because he's Leonard's roommate, and I have no idea why Leonard puts up with him. Every moment where Sheldon realizes he's being an ass to those around him or someone tries to make an honest connection with him is immediately reversed for comedic effect.

Oh shit. hahaha. I was hoping when I saw your link it was going to be this.
Regarding the Seinfeld and Always Sunny comparisons: it's not that Sheldon is the only asshole on TV, it's more that he's a constant asshole to his supposed friends. The cast of Seinfeld was mostly assholes to people outside the group. While the Always Sunny crew are all equally assholes to each other, they also genuinely stick together (mostly because no one else outside the gang would ever put up with them). Meanwhile, Sheldon is constantly an asshole to his "friends", who in turn only seem to hang out with him because he's Leonard's roommate, and I have no idea why Leonard puts up with him. Every moment where Sheldon realizes he's being an ass to those around him or someone tries to make an honest connection with him is immediately reversed for comedic effect.
I think what truly helps It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is that the crew being scummy assholes is kind of the basis for the show. The intent helps a lot. Sheldon is not supposed to be an unloveable asshole.

Did any one mention It's always sunny in Philadelphia? the whole gang are a bunch of Ass holes and i still love them, even thought if i meet them in real life i would want to punch every single on. I personally haven't seen that many episodes of TBBT so i can't judge Sheldon. Yet it doesn't matter if a character is an asshole the thing that really matter is if hes a likable asshole.

The Always Sunny crew are all detestable pieces of shit (Charlie is the only guy who ever shows empathy for another human being and even that is rare) but it's OK because they are punished in every episode for it.

In nine or ten seasons I can only remember one episode (The Jersey Shore one) which ends in anything close to a happy ending for some of the gang.

akira28

hollywood, chuck lorre, lowest common denominator comedy/plot target, keep that money train rolling. hey did you notice that money train is fucking full of money?

...Bazinga

it doesn't matter if he's a believable character, he's an entertaining one and those people want to believe, to a point. the so out of touch it hurts super-nerd who somehow always prevails.

mreddie

Honestly, I would have watched the show but Sheldon is the worst character on the show. How does the gang hang out with him?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No idea. People love him for some reason. I haven't even been able to get into the show because you can't stream it fully anywhere. And those commercials with him in a suit just rub me the wrong way. So I don't even know what's going to happen when I'm able to even watch it.

tumblr_nnn8z8wrve1qh86m9o3_r1_400.gif

Trickster

This might shock you, but a character like Hope isn't a real person. Most people in that thread would probably be quite sympathetic towards him in real life. However in a Final Fantasy game that they paid money for, having to listen to Hope for dozens of hours becomes pretty damn irritating, especially when he's horribly written.

Why would fans dislike Sheldon? The rest of the show is just as horrible and nauseating. I think people want to punish themselves, so they enjoy Sheldons 'wacky' stunts which are really crimes against humor.

jax

Banned
Honestly don't see how anyone enjoys this shit show. It's just boring, unfunny garbage. It also puts geek culture in a really bad light, people assume that if you play videogames you are basically this Shledon creature, unable to properly interact socially.. which is just stupid. Sheldon needs to get punched, and BBT needs to be cancelled. Too bad America can't get enough of it's laugh track programming. My guess is they cant comprehend normal comedy, so they need shows like this to cue them in on the "funny" parts with obnoxious laugh tracks. It would suck to lack a sense of humor. Sheldon would probably love his lame ass show.

Azuran

Banned
it's embarrassing that a bingo board had to be made for this. It's still a shit show (IMO) that's not invulnerable to against any legitimate criticism.

Making a list of shows that are supposedly better and calling people who like the show "lowest common denominator" is not exactly legitimate criticism. There's people that even offended because it makes fun of "nerd culture". Like what is that even supposed to mean? Just people someone might love Dungeon and Dragons doesn't mean he's into programming or Magic the Gathering.

Fusebox

Banned
People assume I like this show. Just because I have some geeky hobbies I must share an affinity with these ragingly unlikable, unrealistic nerd-burgers.

Linkark07

Banned
Sheldon is the reason I stopped watching The Big Bang Theory. Yeah, the other characters aren't great but at least they have their moments. But Sheldon, that jerk always gets away with what he wants. So annoying.

Big Bang Theory is my most hated show in the entire world, I actively dislike and think lower of people who likes that show.

I also do that to people who like Hopsin and Tyler The Creator.

Also I cringe at Friends. I feel like only white people like Friends for some reason. It's kinda racist I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom