• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sheldon Cooper is such an unbelievable little shit. Why is he so adored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gemüsepizza;189116984 said:
She sounds more like Sheldon.

I mean, "stop commenting"? Really? Wtf is wrong with her? Zero social skills.

The girl responding to the guy inviting her to talk about E3 out of the blue on FB is the one with zero social skills?

Zaptruder

Banned
Sheldon has full blown aspergers or has maxed out the autism scale.

Dude is basically socially disabled.

Yet he has friends around him that can put up with him despite that.

The girl responding to the guy inviting her to talk about E3 out of the blue on FB is the one with zero social skills?

"Out of the blue on FB"? Why the fuck does she send people friend requests if she can't deal with one of her "friends" commenting on her dumb posts? She could have ignored it, but nope: "stop commenting." Wtf. What a rude and narcissistic person.

I've never been a big fan of the show, but I gave it a go, didn't really like it. I don't get why everyone likes him either.

I once had "bazinga" stuck in my head for some reason (never watched past the first few eps of the second season) and said it in the place of "bingo" during a conversation. I immediately stopped, just said "ew" and it's never happened again.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Yep. There are legions of beloved characters who are really huge assholes. Indiana Jones, for example.

cdn.tvlia.com.files.2010.11.TBBT-S04E08-2.jpg

Learning from the best.

Am I a bad person if I agree with most of this post?

These people don't get it.

Most of the time I'm level headed person that is able of accepting many if not all perspectives on a wide range of subjects, even if I strongly disagree with them. I see the others position as legimitate and discuss and debate with said person with the goal of fruitful and constructive conversation.

But if you like Hopsin/Tyler/TBBT, then you a loser. Thats it.

It's done for.

You can't argue against it.

It's fact.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Most of the time I'm level headed person that is able of accepting many if not all perspectives on a wide range of subjects, even if I strongly disagree with them. I see the others position as legimitate and discuss and debate with said person with the goal of fruitful and constructive conversation.

It's done for.

It's fact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE

It's done for.

It's fact.

but what if I think tyler can make some decent beats

DOWN

Banned
I actually got most pissed at OP for being so invested in that show that he wrote such a long op

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Even though BBT sucks I think most people would agree the the women on the show are WAY better than the men.

Bernadette, Amy, Penny >>> Howard, Sheldon, Leonard and Raj.

Wait, what.

I don't watch it enough to be able to cite a specific episode, but I remember feeling very "wtf" after thinking about Max's jokes more than once, and I don't mean in a prudish way. There's usually a set up for a joke from Max at least once or twice an episode (it seems from what I've seen anyway) where whatever description or phrase is uttered, Max turns it into a "that's what she said" sort of joke, but about someone she's slept or fooled around with. And at least once it was in reference to a relative or teacher (she's a HS drop out I'm pretty sure, so that means she wasn't 18 while still in HS). Its just dropped casually for laughs, but if taken at face value is very squicky. IMO. Apologies though for my uncertainty about the specifics, I didn't consider it a show worth retaining in my mind. lol

jnWake

There's one episode that shows why Leonard puts up with Sheldon (most of the time) at least. It shows them in the "past" and Sheldon saves Leonard from a bomb that ruins the elevator in their flat.

For the most part it seems Sheldon isn't aware that he's an asshole but there are many episodes when the other characters call him out or he gets the bad end of the stick (although he "wins" in plenty of episodes too). Howard usually challenges Sheldon, but more often than not ends up losing.

I like the show and have always been surprised at the hate some people feel for it. I guess the show being about "nerds" can upset some people. I find plenty of Sheldon's antics because they are ridiculous but if he was a real life person he would be so hateable haha.

Does Sheldon actually change at all as a character during the series? Every time I happen to catch the show it seems like he's doing the same shtick since day 1, and that seems incredibly boring.

saunderez

It's why Peep Show, the UK show is funny, the assholes get theirs in the end. Unlike Big Bang Theory.
I'd argue there's comedy in the suffering of others when the asshole doesn't theirs. Which is precisely how it's used in one of my favourite British comedies Black Books.

Bernard never really gets his comeuppance for how he treats Manny but it doesn't stop it being brilliant comedy.

Does Sheldon actually change at all as a character during the series? Every time I happen to catch the show it seems like he's doing the same shtick since day 1, and that seems incredibly boring.

He's definitely changed and overcome a lot of his hangups. But he has a long way to go before being a tolerable member of society.

trinest

Sheldon has changed heaps, he isn't much of an asshole anymore.

Also he is a pretty believable character, nerd jokes not been proper nerd jokes aside.

I'd argue there's comedy in the suffering of others when the asshole doesn't theirs. Which is precisely how it's used in one of my favourite British comedies Black Books.

Bernard never really gets his comeuppance for how he treats Manny but it doesn't stop it being brilliant comedy.

He's definitely changed and overcome a lot of his hangups. But he has a long way to go before being a tolerable member of society.

At least he has reach the human being stage and no longer just a nerdy, one liner spouting machine.

All of the male characters are straight up awful people. It's like they're trying to be Seinfeld but failing miserably because never once are they actually likeable because/in-spite of it.

Chuckie

Big Bang Theory is my most hated show in the entire world, I actively dislike and think lower of people who likes that show.

I also do that to people who like Hopsin and Tyler The Creator.

Also I cringe at Friends. I feel like only white people like Friends for some reason. It's kinda racist I know.

Lol. Nerd-rage.

And the 'only white people' comment is just plain ignorant and wrong.

Big Bang Theory is my most hated show in the entire world, I actively dislike and think lower of people who likes that show.

I also do that to people who like Hopsin and Tyler The Creator.

Also I cringe at Friends. I feel like only white people like Friends for some reason. It's kinda racist I know.

Sheldon?

It's not really out of the blue when she's all "playing video games -- I'm such a nerd!" She was rude af honestly. There are many nice people in the world, you know, who don't respond to conversations reaching a dead end with active rudeness. Note: I am assuming "are you excited for E3" was an honest question and not a "nerd cred check" tho

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh where can I read this magical tome that says an asshole character must "get theirs" for a show to be objectively funny or enjoyable?
The same tome that declares Cartman and House to be unfunny and unpopular characters. And Walter White is also very unpopular because he's such an asshole. Whereas a nice kid like Floyd/Walter Jr. doesn't get hate, because he's a nice kid and characters like that are what people like in fiction.
/s

RobbieNick

Sheldon has full blown aspergers or has maxed out the autism scale.

Dude is basically socially disabled.

Yet he has friends around him that can put up with him despite that.

This pretty much.

He's even admitted to not being able to understand sarcasm. I imagine living in Texas, he was bullied a ton as a social inadequate child. The fact that he's a genius is the only thing that really gave him a feeling of superiority and he held on to that to the point where he truly believes he is superior to everyone else when really he's only a genius in one aspect alone.

Then there's Amy. She was once almost exactly like Sheldon, but unlike Sheldon a lot of that had to do with having no freinds of any kind. It made her a social introvert. When she became Sheldon's girlfriend, his social circle introduced her to Penny and Bernadette. Now she had friends for the first time and for awhile clinged onto Penny really tightly, but is now a fairly normal member of the group.

The problem with this season is that Amy and Sheldon have gotten back together way too quickly. While Sheldon did a mature a tiny bit during the breakup, he still hasn't learned that a lot of the reason she broke up with him in the first place was due to his verbally abusive behavior.

The writers need to let Sheldon grow as a character and have him learn that the universe does not revolve around him. Otherwise, he's gonna remain an obnoxious asshole. Sometimes he's funny, but half the time I wanna punch him in the face.

Cheerilee

I think the thing with Sheldon is that he's not being an asshole on purpose or out of malice. He's broken inside. He's a Hollywood-style idiot savant, leaning toward aspergers because that's the cool thing to have nowadays.

I think they've shown pretty well that he acts like a jerk while being woefully ignorant of the effect he's having. And I've seen a couple of times where they showed that he's putting effort into being a good person, he just doesn't understand human relations.

I saw there was one episode where Penny ran out of money, and Sheldon concluded that he had a surplus of money, and that they've become friends, and friends help each other with their problems, so he gave/loaned her a significant amount of money, without a second thought. And the joke of the episode was that Penny started freaking out about trying to repay him, while Sheldon acted like a robot, unconcerned about repayment because he placed absolutely no value on the money beyond the value of helping a friend.

The real dick of the group is Leonard, frequently "pranking" Sheldon (stuff like messing with his OCD until his eye starts to twitch, then laughing about it), because living with someone like Sheldon is difficult.

Literally the worst opinion ever.

Howard is the only male character in the show that actually had an arc and developed better over time. I mean he went from a poorly written asshole pervert to a human being with fears,faults but having a good heart to do the right thing.

Scratch that, he is the only character who had an arc period.

Howard is the only male character in the show that actually had an arc and developed better over time. I mean he went from a poorly written asshole pervert to a human being with fears,faults but having a good heart to do the right thing.

Scratch that, he is the only character who had an arc period.

Yeah, the other 3 dudes are terrible characters, wolowitz is relatable

I used to really like this show for two or three seasons. I think it was because of the reasonably funny akwardness of the characters. But then it all went to shit.

I started getting really tired of the same jokes, the characters we're turning into more two-dimensional versions of themselves, usually focusing on the bad sides. Because why have any good character evolution? And the fucking laugh-track started to really grate.

Nowadays, I'll only watch it if someone else is already watching it.

Braag

Before I knew anything about the show, I thought Sheldon is an alien (kinda like in 3rd rock from the sun) or an AI or something. He's weird to the point of being extrmely annoying. Though I guess that's the idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom