• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sheldon Cooper is such an unbelievable little shit. Why is he so adored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If it was real life Sheldon would have zero friends, no companionship with anyone and would get beat up on a regular basis.

That's how I like to get through watching an episode anyway.

Ummm no he wouldn't you have a very skewered and naïve vision of life. He's a university Post-Grad Researcher (this was from the last time I watched the show god knows where's it's gone now), not a high school nerd.

There's plenty of people in high level academics, that are very much douche bags.

ItIsOkBro

He was okay in the beginning and then something happened.

So many episodes, the final punchline is Sheldon being and insufferable/oblivious douchebag.

The most unbelievable thing was where he let Sheldon get between him and banging Kaley Cuoco for a whole episode.

Push the guy down some stairs. Seriously.

spekkeh

Banned
The guy is a narcissistic, abusive, completely mean-spirited, egotistical nightmare of a human being. He openly mocks and bullies those closest to him every chance he gets, he belittles each and every one of his friend's achievements, even as they continue to bend over backwards for him to constantly meet his deranged demands.

latest

wJcpCrH.png

Sheldon? Adored?

This is the worst bingo card I've ever seen. I'm trying to think of a team I'd be less interested in joining than #TeamBigBangTheory and feel like I have to rail against GAF in that shitty show's defense. Maybe #TeamNickleback, if that exists? Yeah, go ahead and punch the "elitism" square because of this post. Then, watch some fucking HBO or something, jesus, life is too short for Big Bang Theory.

Calabi

Big Bang Theory is my most hated show in the entire world, I actively dislike and think lower of people who likes that show.

I also do that to people who like Hopsin and Tyler The Creator.

Also I cringe at Friends. I feel like only white people like Friends for some reason. It's kinda racist I know.

I hate it also yet my sister and dad like it. I think they like it because it's a show where they can laugh at the stupid nerds.

BBT is a complete inversion of the odd couple style sitcom.

Usually the buttoned down one is the straight man while the eccentric one is the funny color man. Think Steve and Al in MWC.

BBT reverses it. Sheldon possesses all the straight man tendencies yet he is the wildly eccentric one, and Leonard is made to be the straight man despite possessing his own quirks. It's a fun twist on a known formula.

On top of that, Jim Parsons is MASTERFUL in the role. He's got Sheldon nailed down, even down to the little idiosyncratic body quirks and the comedic timing. Delivering funny dialog dry is probably the hardest thing to do in a sitcom and Parsons has been nailing it for 9 seasons.

The best most beloved sitcoms on TV tend to have a character that plays to his role no matter what misfortune befalls him. Sheldon is this character to a T.

Since Breaking Bad came off the Air Sheldon Cooper has been the best character on Television.

TLDR; Stop drinking your haterade, Sheldon is a great character.

Sophia

He has Autism, he's hardly an asshole.

Finding out Neogaf has no sympathy this weekend, with gaming side deciding a disabled hero soldier and a Kid who saw his mother killed before they were both about to be euthanized are whiny bitches.

Because he has aspergers

No no no no nooooooo! Do not go there you two ;_;

Autism does not cause someone to be an asshole, and having autism is no justification or excuse for being an asshole. Sheldon may or may not be autistic, but it's completely irrelevant to him being the world's biggest jackass. :\

Big Bang Theory is my most hated show in the entire world, I actively dislike and think lower of people who likes that show.

Also I cringe at Friends. I feel like only white people like Friends for some reason. It's kinda racist I know.
...I like Tyler the Creator. :( I mean, Odd Future are like the Tim & Eric/Eric Andre of hip hop. I can dig that. Why not? Frank Ocean is like a real life Jamal Lyon!

But I do hate Friends. I can't even think of a whiter sitcom than Friends. Even Frasier had a couple of black recurring characters. Maybe Girls is worse, because it really stands out in this day and age to make a show about young people in New York that is that fucking white. But Friends is up there. And that fucking theme song.

Sheldon is great. He's adored for the same reason Gregory House is adored. Neither one of those people could get away with that behavior in real life. Seeing someone get away with such outrageous behavior (often just speaking their mind, which is something we all want to do) is enjoyable.

Let me ask you this. Why is Walter White so adored when he's a psychopathic murdering drug dealer? Meanwhile his wife is treated as actual scum for cheating on her emotionally abusive drug dealing husband.

Some people probably think less of you as a person because you play video games and are older than 13 years old. I suppose they are completely in the right to be judgmental assholes?

Elitism is so funny to me, especially coming from people like you.

my annoyance with him is one of the reasons i stopped watching the show.

which is ironic because i heard they cited him as one of the main reasons the show succeeded.

Barzoople?

You sound like a very judgmental person.

Sane_Man

Good lord.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Well then.

Ishan

Short answer
Cartman

Long answer
He's talented ppl like him is the reason you can go onto computer connect to the internet and make this post . Talent matters .

Autism does not cause someone to be an asshole, and having autism is no justification or excuse for being an asshole. Sheldon may or may not be autistic, but it's completely irrelevant to him being the world's biggest jackass. :

Quoted again for truth.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Am I a bad person if I agree with most of this post?

He's especially annoying in the Intel commercials.

Big Bang Theory does have its moments. It's too bad those moments are too few and far between. None of those moments involve Sheldon though.

NateDog

Man you guys think that's bad I watched an episode of Two Broke Girls once and the two girls were straight up making fun of a homeless guy Patrick Bateman style.
wtf.png

Shit is even weirder with the laugh track in the background, it's like a tv show for sociopaths. It's not even harmless poking fun, it's mean spirited.
I always hated BBT but have been forced to put up with it a bit as my girlfriend likes it for some reason, but I'll admit it's an OK show to have on in the background for something brain dead. But pretty much all the characters are completely unrelatable and pure irritating, mainly Howard who is a complete asshole with no redeeming qualities. However, disregarding all of that, Two Broke Girls is literally probably the worst show I have ever seen, have no idea where to begin with that one.

Lol at this whole thread though, that Bingo card was well done.

Kadin

Isn't this show filmed in front of a live audience like Friends was, with the occasional laugh track added in when needed? Thought much of the applause and laughter was genuine.

I'd presume a lot of Sheldon's "charm" on the show comes from the fact that many of us, especially those that work in the tech industry, know someone like him. Part of the fun of the show is comparing people I know to the characters.

Skux

Because people are smart enough to understand the difference between a funny character on a TV show and someone who would be insufferable in real life.

jstripes

Banned

Autism does not cause someone to be an asshole, and having autism is no justification or excuse for being an asshole. Sheldon may or may not be autistic, but it's completely irrelevant to him being the world's biggest jackass. :\

Exactly. Autism and being an asshole aren't mutually exclusive. People have underlying personality traits that can counteract or amplify how they behave.

The idea that people with disabilities are innocent saints that are merely the victims of their condition is dangerously reductive.

EvetS

Haters like this are just too scared to admit that tbbt hits too close to home.

Sandfox

It's pretty funny how people are getting upset over the bingo card when it's mainly used to show the comments being brought up in every Big Bang theory thread no matter the context.

People like the show because it's easy to jump in at any point and the actors play off each other well. Sheldon is popular because Jim Parsons is a really good actor, which has made his character stand out and Sheldon actually grew as a character while the others were stuck in place for a while.

jstripes

Banned
It's pretty funny how people are getting upset over the bingo card when it's mainly used to show the comments being brought up in every Big Bang theory thread no matter the context.

People like the show because it's easy to jump in at any point and the actors play off each other well. Sheldon is popular because Jim Parsons is a really good actor, which has made his character stand out and Sheldon actually grew as a character while the others were stuck in place for a while.

If the show had been on the air when I was a kid or teen, I may have liked it. (I watched Friends for one season.) But I almost completely grew out of multi-cam sitcoms since then, British ones aside.

My opinion on TBBT is that it's a completely average multi-cam sitcom, which in itself is nothing to get upset about. It's just kind of annoying how absurdly popular it is, and the "lol he said Nintendo 64" type stuff is just really lazy humour.

opoth

Banned
I could see Sheldon hitting a little too close to home around here. If you don't know a Sheldon, you're probably a Sheldon. He's harmless.

Retsudo

My biggest issue with this show, is them apparently being stuck in time. They take ages to get anywhere. Also, for a show that rakes in millions and millione of dollars, they could afford to have new sets and send the cast pretty much every week someplace new.
There are a lot of things wrong with the show, but as background noise it works really well

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
never watched the show. too many white people that I can't relate...at all.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I'm the whitest dude on the planet and I can't stand Friends.

Buuuuut Seinfeld is my favourite show of all time, so there's that.

Gorillaz

Always Sunny does the "gang/group" concept better because it realizes what type of people it's dealing with. Shitheads with nothing really redeeming about them. Like watching their fall from grace over the seasons into even worse people has been great.

TBBT lacks that sort of self awareness

jstripes

Banned
My biggest issue with this show, is them apparently being stuck in time. They take ages to get anywhere. Also, for a show that rakes in millions and millione of dollars, they could afford to have new sets and send the cast pretty much every week someplace new.
There are a lot of things wrong with the show, but as background noise it works really well

That's not how multi-cam sitcoms work.

You have a few permanent sets (e.g., living room, kitchen, workplace), and 95% of everything takes place there.

The formula works, they're not gonna change it.

Cipherr

Annoying yeah, but not nasty, abusive people.

Yes they do. House and Breaking Bad are two recent examples. Hell there are reality tv shows chock full of assholes that people watch for entertainment. Its not uncommon at all.

Cringeworthy nerd raging like this is why that bingo card exists. It really ruffles the feathers of some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom