• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sheldon Cooper is such an unbelievable little shit. Why is he so adored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightbird

The girl responding to the guy inviting her to talk about E3 out of the blue on FB is the one with zero social skills?

What.

It wasn't out of the blue at all. Thats kinda like saying the Guy who asked the Girl about the upcoming Soccer Tournament after she said that she's a Soccer-Freak is the socially incompetent one.

She's the one who is rude as hell. The Guy was just being curious.

People don't care about them being assholes, they want funny characters even if they annoy everyone around them.

And Howard is the best character.

I always think of Sheldon as a child in a mans body. While he does bully everyone around him, he is not immune to being on the other end of jokes. In the show, as far as I understand, he doesn't get sarcasm or general feelings. I personally thought he had a disorder like aspergers or autism.

But the reason I think America likes his character is that he is weak underneath his persona. His character grows with each season and he reveals more of his humanity by either divulging his vulnerability or by trying to be kind to the other characters.

Hope that makes sense.... Kinda drunk.

daveo42

Banned
It's because everyone who watches the show knows one person in their life who is a Sheldon and thinks, "Hahaha! So funny! I know that guy." That guy is you and me and probably everyone else on this forum.

We are Sheldon.

Before I knew anything about the show, I thought Sheldon is an alien (kinda like in 3rd rock from the sun) or an AI or something. He's weird to the point of being extrmely annoying. Though I guess that's the idea...

This is the kind of imagination that this show has lacked since the 4th or 5th season. Sheldon was such a quirky and obnoxious character that felt fresh in the beginning but became extremely stale when it was obvious how one-dimensional he and the rest of the characters really were.

I still don't get how Parsons won all those Emmys.

MrBadger

It's because everyone who watches the show knows one person in their life who is a Sheldon and thinks, "Hahaha! So funny! I know that guy." That guy is you and me and probably everyone else on this forum.

We are Sheldon.

It's not a show for nerds, it's a show for people who have friends who are nerds, that's why nerds hate it

I hate sitcoms (Silicon Valley and East Bound and Down are more my taste for comedies), but I think I have watched every BBT courtesy of TBS reruns. I have no idea why, because I don't think the show is that good. That said it is no worse than the majority of other sitcoms. I would actually said it is better (at least early on), because I can actually finish an episode.

Also Sheldon is the one thing I actually like about the show. I really can't stand the most of the other characters. That said I have always watched the show with the understanding that he has Asperger's. True or not it works.

Even though BBT sucks I think most people would agree the the women on the show are WAY better than the men.

Bernadette, Amy, Penny >>> Howard, Sheldon, Leonard and Raj.

This is 100% wrong (well subjectively). Bernadette is one of the worst characters on TV. She is awful to Howard, and a complete bitch to her friends. She would make a good wife for Ramsay Snow. The only one worse is Raj's unbearable redheaded new girlfriend.

Also the addition of Bernadette and Amy to full time cast members has pretty much made the show un-watchable. BBT at it's best (which is not that good at all) is when it focused on the 3 main characters (Penny, Leonard, and Sheldon) with Raj and Howard randomly showing up. Now that they are up to 7 regular cast members, the show has dropped to the bottom of the toilet.

SpaceWolf

Banned
This show really gets nerds vex huh.

You man should just be happy people can see how you are throughout.

Working round the clock with a top team of highly trained linguistic experts, my team and I are confident that in time, we will be able to transcribe the meaning behind this post.

We are Sheldon.

(Screams Internally)

People like sociopath characters especially if they see themselves in the character. Why do people love sociopaths like Patrick Bateman and every character on a HBO series?

dan2026

Some of my friends like it, but I think its an awful, mean spirited show.

Its isn't a show with fun geeky jokes or even fun geeky characters, it just relentlessly mocks geeks/nerds as being some sort of socially inept monsters.

Its like if Eric Cartman made a show about minorities.

But the biggest problem is that it just ISN'T FUNNY!

Leonard is 10 times worse. He's an insufferable little shit that, at least at the beginning of the series was always trying to ruin the fun of his friends just so he could fuck some "dream girl". He constantly has emotional outbursts in front of everyone and is a parody of a neurotic person to the point of being offensive.

Before I knew anything about the show, I thought Sheldon is an alien (kinda like in 3rd rock from the sun) or an AI or something. He's weird to the point of being extrmely annoying. Though I guess that's the idea...

And the guy playing him has won Emmys for it.

Cheesehead9099

Neo Member
Man, people are so victimized by this shit. It's a brainless sitcom guys... nobody is taking the characters as if they're real human beings and making fun of people IRL from it. And if your friend or family member poked fun at you saying you're like Sheldon, I mean it's not like they called you a piece of shit loser. It's just a joke.

Y'all gotta lighten up.

People usually get a laugh that he's so completely out of touch. I don't watch, since his character is kind of annoying, but my wife likes it. Every now and again it has a funny moment, but...eh.

Now, if there were a Sheldon Cooper style person in my life I'd just not be around him.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I agree OP, in fact he is the only reason I don't enjoy the show. He is completely intolerable.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I seem to think there's people who feel that those characters depict the lifestyles and personalities of people who do enjoy the culture. How we all sorta take a role from the show and we showcase their personality.

I find it to be a misrepresentation of geeks and nerds, but I also enjoy their humor. I don't really relate myself to anyone on the show though. I think similar things happened with Friends or any mainstream show that tries to give their cast a set personality. We relate ourselves because they're the extreme of what we enjoy or they're enjoyable to watch live out these certain situations. How we all want one attractive girl in our group or how we all want a friend who is a know it all.

He's a great actor and I like his character, but it's a sum of every single stereotype or something making fun of science.

he's supposed to be a genius but he never does anything smart.
it's only implied.
you could rebrand him as mentally challenged and use pretty much the same script.
i guess that goes for all of them.

This isn't true though. He was, for example, able to instantly deduce that the correction Leonard applied to the rocket fuel formula was incorrect and it was going to blow up, thus saving Leonard's life (and being the reason he puts up with his nonsense).

Alx

This isn't true though. He was, for example, able to instantly deduce that the correction Leonard applied to the rocket fuel formula was incorrect and it was going to blow up, thus saving Leonard's life (and being the reason he puts up with his nonsense).

It wouldn't be feasible to mention his "genius" other than by implying it anyway. It's not like the audience would follow a detailed description of his work in quantum physics or whatever.

Leonard is 10 times worse. He's an insufferable little shit that, at least at the beginning of the series was always trying to ruin the fun of his friends just so he could fuck some "dream girl". He constantly has emotional outbursts in front of everyone and is a parody of a neurotic person to the point of being offensive.

I always thought Leaonard was meant to be the character with whom the audience is supposed to identify, or at least feel related. He's nerdy, but aware of it, and can be "normal" if he wants to. He's also the one getting all the girls.

TxdoHawk

Sheldon Cooper is such an unbelievable little shit. Why is he so adored?

"Adored" is probably the wrong word. This is a show about laughing at nerds, not with them.

I mean, I guess there's the whole subset of people who swear up and down this show is nerd empowerment or something like that but...the proof is in the pudding, they softball slow-pitch any remotely complicated joke, if they don't outright explain it. This is lowest-common-denominator TV for lowest-common-denominator people.

Piers

yes i'm talking about the "i'm such a nerd" thing just because they like something.

B22bdMDIgAIg6c-.jpg

they probably like him because "he's such a nerd"

Yup. Plus, watching someone so socially awkward can make one feel better about themselves.
As someone on here put it best: BBT isn't a show for nerds, it's a show about nerds.

I've observed that people don't feel ashamed to say they watch BBT (in real life, not the internet). There's no negative social stigma for watching the show. That's why people use it as their "nerd cred".

Sure, you love watching BBT and playing Pokemon. But if those are the only things "nerdy" about you, then you're not a nerd.

In the first three series he was quite enjoyable. Had quirks and annoyances almost like comic book guy levels of nerdyness which was enjoyable to watch. But lately game has become everything the original poster said. He is a horrible human being and if he was a real life person his friends would have long ago ditched him and removed themselves from his life. The fact penny and Leonard are enabling him even more is just the worse, penny at least you to call him out but now rolls with it.

It's a shame as the show was an enjoyable watch but now it's painful and horrible.

These people don't get it.

Most of the time I'm level headed person that is able of accepting many if not all perspectives on a wide range of subjects, even if I strongly disagree with them. I see the others position as legimitate and discuss and debate with said person with the goal of fruitful and constructive conversation.

But if you like Hopsin/Tyler/TBBT, then you a loser. Thats it.

It's done for.

You can't argue against it.

It's fact.

If this is your reaction to a piece of entertainment, you are not a level-headed person.

what was that? season 1?

It wouldn't be feasible to mention his "genius" other than by implying it anyway. It's not like the audience would follow a detailed description of his work in quantum physics or whatever..

he gets tricked, outsmarted and outwitted almost every episode.
he always loses.
he never figures out a good solution to anything.

even penny outsmarts him, always.

SeppOCE

I don't get the bazinga joke.

He says it like 4 times on the span of 10 seasons.

He says it a shit tonne more than 4 times. Hell after the initial one off episode of him uttering that word a snow-ball effect happens a few episodes later where it's one of the only ways he finishes a Joke.

I've observed that people don't feel ashamed to say they watch BBT (in real life, not the internet). There's no negative social stigma for watching the show. That's why people use it as their "nerd cred".

Sure, you love watching BBT and playing Pokemon. But if those are the only things "nerdy" about you, then you're not a nerd.

What makes someone a "nerd" and who decides this? Is there an application I have to fill out? Do I get a membership card like at Costco?

Saucy_XL

Banned
I don't see how Sheldon is more annoying than most of the other characters on the show. Bernadette and Leonard should take that prize.

Leonard literally complains about everything, and Bernadette had been saying the exact same lines from when she was first introduced, zero depth to that character.

Davey Cakes

I gave up on this show in Season 6 after pretty much loving Seasons 1-4.

The relationship between Amy and Sheldon is nonsensical considering how much BS she has to put up with from Sheldon.

And, honestly, Leonard and Penny have a different dynamic but are equally unconvincing as a couple.

The writers letting these relationships go on is definitely part of what killed the show for me. I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm not a mean-spirited guy but I was rooting for Penny to break up with Leonard and for Amy to break up with Sheldon. It's good to know that the latter happened but unfortunate that the writers didn't have to balls to hold to that decision.

Cronox

Banned
I don't know why people even think of this show as a timewaster. There are so many good comedies now that the very idea of having nothing else to watch but this is ridiculous. It's terrible and unfunny, not even deserving of being background noise. We live in an age of plenty, there's no room for things that aren't good in my life.

Dark_castle

I hate sitcoms (Silicon Valley and East Bound and Down are more my taste for comedies), but I think I have watched every BBT courtesy of TBS reruns. I have no idea why, because I don't think the show is that good. That said it is no worse than the majority of other sitcoms. I would actually said it is better (at least early on), because I can actually finish an episode.

Also Sheldon is the one thing I actually like about the show. I really can't stand the most of the other characters. That said I have always watched the show with the understanding that he has Asperger's. True or not it works.

This is 100% wrong (well subjectively). Bernadette is one of the worst characters on TV. She is awful to Howard, and a complete bitch to her friends. She would make a good wife for Ramsay Snow. The only one worse is Raj's unbearable redheaded new girlfriend.

Also the addition of Bernadette and Amy to full time cast members has pretty much made the show un-watchable. BBT at it's best (which is not that good at all) is when it focused on the 3 main characters (Penny, Leonard, and Sheldon) with Raj and Howard randomly showing up. Now that they are up to 7 regular cast members, the show has dropped to the bottom of the toilet.

Relationships ruined the show. I like TBBT in the first few seasons when all the guys were single and hopeless. The one episode where Howard and Raj went to the gothic club and gets shot down by some goth girls for having fake tattoos was funny.

As someone on here put it best: BBT isn't a show for nerds, it's a show about nerds.
Cool, I'm gonna make a show that's not for black people, but about black people. Got any advice?

Even if someone could pull that off without being horribly offensive, wouldn't it be completely pointless? Pretty sure it would just fall back on stereotypes and uninsightful rehashing of tropes, just like BBT.

Quonny

Sheldon would be okay if he was more "like able" more often. For example, when Howard's mom died, he was a true friend. When he did that one-on-one love test with Penny, he was honest and relatable. Because he's so off putting so much of he time, these moments have meaning and hit harder. It's just that you only get them once or twice a season.

Raj is the real asshole of the show.

Arjen

I think is hilarious that the people who always react so negatively about this show react exactly like Sheldon would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom