• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) coming to NA retail/eShop Summer 2013 (July 16)

Arthea

So, Europe is still irrelevant in Atlus books. I don't get it, I simply don't :(
It wouldn't be so bad if not region lock, then again... Atlus can region lock their games even on PS3. What have we ever done to them? Killed their kittens or something

Aeana

So, Europe is still irrelevant in Atlus books. I don't get it, I simply don't :(
It wouldn't be so bad if not region lock, then again... Atlus can region lock their games even on PS3. What have we ever done to them? Killed their kittens or something

Atlus doesn't have an office in Europe. They have no presence there. That's the simple explanation. It'd be nice if they at least set up a solid partnership, though.

If I were European I'd just import all my stuff, no matter how expensive. Sucks for you guys tho, but maybe you'll get a European branch eventually.

P4 Golden didn't take too long so I'm hoping that's a good omen

Who published that anyway?

People have been complaining about Atlus not having a European branch for going on a decade now lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is going to make the eshop version an even worse deal than usual. Wonder if it's because of a bigger cart size or if they are just trying to finally squeeze the US for those niche otaku RPG dollars that the Japanese companies have been extorting from their homeland since the Famicom days...

Busaiku

Devil Survivor Break Code doesn't have a Japanese date yet.
I wonder if we can get a close launch with that too.

4 in-house Atlus RPGs on a single system in 1 year?

This is going to make the eshop version an even worse deal than usual. Wonder if it's because of a bigger cart size or if they are just trying to finally squeeze the US for those niche otaku RPG dollars that the Japanese companies have been extorting from their homeland since the Famicom days...

Man let me tell you about this little company called Square Enix and their special tax...

NIS right?

Man, what a horrific world PAL folks must live in where NISA is seen as a good omen.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

People have been complaining about Atlus not having a European branch for going on a decade now lol

Persona 4 Golden took 6 months to come to NA though, which is pretty standard for Atlus localizations.

Thoraxes

Sooner than expected.

Based ATLUS.

ew9nGqC.gif

Zornica

Banned
but guess who brought over SMT III in Europe...

times change, platforms too.
NoE seems way more into localisation than Sony. (probably also a reason why capcom jumped ship with monster hunter...)

edit: I wouldn't be surprised if the overclocked debacle would kill ghostlight long before SMT4 is even released in the US

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh I know all about the SE tax, having bought every single one of their GBA and most of their DS games. It seems like such a distant memory though when they could get away with it!

Now I just wait two or three months and pick up an even shittier version of FF XIII for less than 20 bucks or whatever eidos is doing for around the same.

serplux

I think we're getting there but aren't quite there yet.

Every retail title for the 3DS since December has gotten a release on the eShop. Atlus supports the eShop well. It'll be on there, day and date, I can pretty much guarantee that.

Aeana

Oh I know all about the SE tax, having bought every single one of their GBA and most of their DS games. It seems like such a distant memory though when they could get away with it!

Now I just wait two or three months and pick up an even shittier version of FF XIII for less than 20 bucks or whatever eidos is doing for around the same.

Well, consider that SMT4 is going to tank since it isn't Persona 5, and the extra charge makes more sense.

Thoraxes

This isn't what I was thinking at all. I'm as pleasantly surprised as the rest of you. Except Aeana, who apparently knew all along.

The second they confirmed Soul Hackers I knew it was a done deal whether I know anything from people or not.

Now I just wanna see if they'll keep the SMTIV trailer in SH.

Arthea

Didn't take too long? really? Some interesting interpretation of events here.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well, consider that SMT4 is going to tank since it isn't Persona 5, and the extra charge makes more sense.

I wonder how the non-Persona SMT titles did in NA/EU/Around the world., especially SMT3 and Strange Journey.

wrowa

Is there even any reason to buy an European 3DS at all? Aside from being able to get it from close at home and have a warranty.

With a 3DS warranty is an even more important topic than it normally already is. After all, Nintendo locks everything down to your hardware, so if it breaks you potentially lose a whole lot of stuff.

It's insane.

Didn't take too long? really? Some interesting interpretation of events here.

3 months sounds like a dream when you've got to wait two years for a certain other game. :p

Sophia

You are so depressing Aeana.

But it's probably the sad truth. Maybe not tho, SMT IV seems a lot more forgiving than Strange Journey was.

Eusis

Did they wait JUST so no one would think it was an April Fool's joke?

Nice to see the number's being kept, surprised to see the Japanese characters so prominent, especially after they were gone on Strange Journey. Then again Strange Journey didn't take place in Japan, while this does, so it made sense to go full Latin Alphabet there.

ULTROS!

it has that animu appeal too.

Persona 3 and 4 had more animu appeal than SMT. :p

I think the other factor is that it's less accessible than P3/P4 meaning it's hard as bones and it's pretty much "traditional" in a sense that the battles aren't as speedy as P3/P4's.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Strange Journey was a regular part of my local Best Buy's bargain bin from about six months after launch and I still see a copy there now and then with the CD included.

Bought a friend a five dollar copy for his birthday a few years ago and left the five dollar pricetag on it (and stuffed the inside with XBLA cards.)

Aeana

Persona 3 and 4 had more animu appeal than SMT. :p

I think the other factor is that it's less accessible than P3/P4 meaning it's hard as bones and it's pretty much "traditional" in a sense that the battles aren't as speedy as P3/P4's.

Huh?

wrowa

Well, I would question the idea of charging a premium fee normally, but in this case it doesn't strike me as a particular dumb move. SMT without the Persona moniker probably are only selling to a pretty specific audience and I doubt that audience particularly cares about 10$ more or less. Especially when it's also a very quick release.

Busaiku

It's weird that the kana's the main focus of the cover.
I guess since they don't have a subtitle, there's not much they can work with.

moozoom

Maybe by summer I'll be able to play my PAL version of Devil survivor Overclocked - without game-breaking bugs - while you'll enjoy this.

Endesu

Not really a surprise, but nice to have it confirmed all the same.

Gah, if I actually plan on picking it up, I'll have to start clearing out my backlog a bit quicker...

vall03

Hmmm... I wonder if we can get Devil Survivor 2: Break Record this year. But then again, I'd prefer it, along with Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu next year. From the looks of it too, my 3DS games will be full of Atlus games lol

Top Bottom