• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) coming to NA retail/eShop Summer 2013 (July 16)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I had to spend a lot of time thinking on what to do in SMT3 because if I don't, I'll most likely die (like that Matador battle, ugh). Unlike in Persona 4, I don't need to fear as much on what action I'll do.

In a sense, Persona 3 and 4 is much more forgiving than SMT (that's on normal), so that's why it's considered "faster" IMO.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well, I would question the idea of charging a premium fee normally, but in this case it doesn't strike me as a particular dumb move. SMT without the Persona moniker probably are only selling to a pretty specific audience and I doubt that audience particularly cares about 10$ more or less. Especially when it's also a very quick release.

Yeah I doubt anyone who was going to buy this game day one anyway will balk at the price tag especially with the rush job localization.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's time for Atlus to open a European office!

Sophia

I had to spend a lot of time thinking on what to do in SMT3 because if I don't, I'll most likely die (like that Matador battle, ugh). Unlike in Persona 4, I don't need to fear as much on what action I'll do.

In a sense, Persona 3 and 4 is much more forgiving than SMT (that's on normal), so that's why it's considered "faster" IMO.

The press turn system does require slightly more thought into it than Persona 3/4's One More system. But it shouldn't make it THAT much slower.

C-Jo

A 3 month turnaround is some stellar stuff.

I won't even bat an eye at $49. I'll get more out of this than the vast majority of full priced console games.

Eusis

To be honest, just being a higher end RPG built for 3DS is enough to make me willing to drop $50. My issue with RE:R was that it wasn't necessarily the kind of game I'd want THAT MUCH to pay that price for, and even then I recognized it was the kind of game that justified it, just not for me to get immediately. A good RPG, namely SMT though? Yeah sure, at worst it's going to give a better dollar to hour ratio, part of why it's easier for me to rationalize for RPGs most of the time.

serplux

Hmmm... I wonder if we can get Devil Survivor 2: Break Record this year. But then again, I'd prefer it, along with Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu next year. From the looks of it too, my 3DS games will be full of Atlus games lol

Radiant Historia sequel plz thx ok bye.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pfft, $40 for a better version of an already good game was justified.
I got it for $20, so I wasn't complaining.

3D numbers, come on. It couldn't have been that hard to switch the action to the bigger three dee screen.

The fact that people complained about it and the sales being not great for it anywhere and yet they're doing it again. The sales will be phenomenal this time unless the anime is complete trash though so they won't learn that lesson. Good thing they're out of late gen DS games to port.

I just want to go on record for hoping that the branching story paths offer relatively significant content differences and aren't just "Oh, yeah, pretty much the exact same dungeons but you fight a couple of different bosses" like they typically are.

3D numbers, come on. It couldn't have been that hard to switch the action to the bigger three dee screen.

The fact that people complained about it and the sales being not great for it anywhere and yet they're doing it again. The sales will be phenomenal this time unless the anime is complete trash though so they won't learn that lesson. Good thing they're out of late gen DS games to port.
3D sucks, Atlus realized that out the gate. ;) Probably what happened was the background art wasn't made at a higher aspect ratio. Why they didn't plan ahead with Devil Survivor 2 is beyond me.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Wow, wasn't expecting this so soon. Good job, Atlus!

I guess the higher price is protection against the expected low sales? For SMT, I'm okay with it.

Now, where's that VGP preorder link?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
3D sucks, Atlus realized that out the gate. ;) Probably what happened was the background art wasn't made at a higher aspect ratio. Why they didn't plan ahead with Devil Survivor 2 is beyond me.

It's weird because on the one hand it smacks of lazy port job to coincide with the anime but then why go and voice act it, add cutscenes and a lengthy new scenario?

Reminds me of FF IV Complete in a way.

Gattuso

I wasn't expecting this to be announced so fast im going to preorder this as soon as it goes up. I don't mind paying the "premium" price for this.

It's weird because on the one hand it smacks of lazy port job to coincide with the anime but then why go and voice act it, add cutscenes and a lengthy new scenario?

Reminds me of FF IV Complete in a way.
Maybe they added touch controls this time. (Extremely doubt it.)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can see it now: I'm downloading it the second it hits the eshop...and ignore it for three months because it'll be right in the middle of FF 5 Job Fiesta season.

Nocturne really is going to be the last SMT mainline title ever made for home consoles. I'm not buying a 3DS just to play this.

If its home to a lot of other atlus games, why? Do you have an aversion to portables?

I don't understand why people say they won't buy y platform for x game. Isn't that the one reason anyone buys any platform?

nekomix

Nintendo has to handle this localization in Europe to prepare SMT X FE like Trauma Center...
Oh wait, we didn't have Trauma Center 2 and Trauma Team :-(

I want to see this as a preparation for SMT x FE's winter release date . :)

On another note I'm a really happy 3DS owner right now. Lots of RPGs to play and Mario&Luigi 4 is also coming soon.

Top Bottom