• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse coming to North America in Summer 2016

ZeroX03

Banned
We can cross out June (TMS) and July . So either August or September for NA. At worst November for Europe.

Release data from P4DAN and P4AU seem to support that train of thought.

What world do you live in? It can be a lot worse for Europe. A lot.

Wii Tank

Yeah no, I'm not paying $65 for this one. I found SMTIV to be really disappointing and knowing Atlus, this'll be on sale for $20 a couple months down the line

It's not like that's a simple process, lol.

It's not simple and I don't think it's their intention to target atlusprime specifically since they're just the messenger.

But I think this is ultimately a deep-rooted/structural problem that needs to reach the upper management. It's not something that can be ignored for much longer given the negativity that's started to surround their treatment of those regions. There IS a market, why not take action? Consumers want to know when, if, and how they can buy the products they're interested in, and hope they can do so in a timely fashion relative to other people. That's what the status quo should be, to many.

Indelible

Really excited for this game, SMT IV is still one of the best games on 3DS. The Canadian price is pretty alarming but I'am hoping it will be 30% off during E3.

Spierek

Hoping for a back-to-back EU release
; _;

Fun fact! For about two weeks, we considered dropping the “IV” from the name (a la SMT: Nocturne) and “featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry” series was suggested no less than 8 times by as many individuals. Those jokers.

lol

Rutger

Banned
I was just wondering when we would hear about this game's localizaton.

Can't wait, I loved SMT IV, and I remember the import impressions all being positive.

Remind me why so many people thought we weren't going to get the sequel to Shin Megami Tensei 4, the popular 3ds game in Atlus's flagship franchise after over a decade of getting all the big titles without fail? :p

NeonZ

Remind me why so many people thought we weren't going to get the sequel to Shin Megami Tensei 4, the popular 3ds game in Atlus's flagship franchise? :p

Because people genuinelly thought that the reason we never got SMT 2 localized was due to the final boss being called
YHVH
while ignoring all other SMT related games from the same period that never got localizations.

daveo42

Banned
Glad to hear this getting localized. Willing to pay that tax for the follow-up to SMTIV. Name change is whateves. Still need to wrap that neutral path.

Mupod

I should finish SMT4 someday. All that work to get locked into neutral then I stopped playing shortly afterwards. I think I lost interest when the game stopped being crushingly difficult.

Rymuth

Good to know, Day 1 as usual.

I'm still curious as to what the big controversy was about...bu~ut, I was told it was a spoiler, so >_>

Hylian7

Finally! You were making me nervous there Atlus. Cannot wait for this, now just don't launch it the same day as Zero Time Dilemma.

Finally! You were making me nervous there Atlus. Cannot wait for this, now just don't launch it the same day as Zero Time Dilemma.
Bouncing from Fire Emblem Fates to Zero Time Dilemma to Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse. This is definitely going to be a year of the 3ds for me.

Wow they didn't censor the woman getting decapitated. (Think it was censored in the Japanese trailer)

Is this better than SMTIV? Nocturne is one of my favourite games of all time but I was disappointed by IV. The atmosphere wasn't as good as and the lack of character models was a real let down (can't be helped due to 3DS hardware limitations I guess).

Playing through the Japanese version. Atmosphere feels more ominous in this one compared to SMTIV, but the game is just as easy to break. The new dungeons are far more interesting than in SMTIV, although there is some recycling of assets.

The music in the trailer is tight. So MC is a dude, could've fooled me, thought it was gal.

This'll be a day one buy, hopefully with a soundtrack or art book.

Wow they didn't censor the woman getting decapitated. (Think it was censored in the Japanese trailer)

Playing through the Japanese version. Atmosphere feels more ominous in this one compared to SMTIV, but the game is just as easy to break. The new dungeons are far more interesting than in SMTIV, although there is some recycling of assets.
:(. Guess I'm doing another high luck/agility playthrough to keep it a bit more challenging then.

Rutger

Banned

It wouldn't be press-turn if it wasn't easy to break. SMTIV's atmosphere was wonderful, crazy to think they could improve on it.

cj_iwakura

I know that.
But it's not like they didn't have time before and never heard this criticism before either. It's not a new company, Sega neither, and the latter actually released games in Europe in the past. Atlus also worked with enough european publishers in the past to know how it works. They're not stupid. They just don't care.
You may want to read Victor Ireland's post in the Summon Night 5 thread about the EU publishing red tape. It sounds pretty complicated.

wrowa

What world do you live in? It can be a lot worse for Europe. A lot.

A lot worse? The Atlus situation is far from ideal in Europe, but these days it usually takes around 3 to 6 months for an Atlus-published game to come over (most of the via NISA). If Apocalypse releases in September/October in the US, then a EU release in February 2017 would be par of the course. I wouldn't call that a lot worse than November, but, hey, maybe my judgement is clouded by the utterly awful situation Europeans had a couple years ago. Compared to the past, we're living in heaven right now.

Atlus USA-published games of the last year with US and EU dates:

• Odin Sphere: June 7th (US), June 24th (EU)
  • Stella Glow: Nov 17th 2015 (US), Mar 11th 2016 (EU)
  • Legend of Legacy: Oct 13th 2015 (US), Feb 5th 2016 (EU)
  • Etrian Untold 2: Aug 4th (US), Feb 12th (EU)
  • Lost Dimension: July 28th (US), August 28th (EU)
  • Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker: May 5th (US), Oct 30th (EU)
  • Etrian Dungeon: Apr 7th (US), Sep 11th (EU)

Of course, there's SMTIV which took an eternity to get a European release, but that's the one big exception of the rule, which shouldn't be used as a generalization for future releases. Especially since signs point to there being a publishing deal that eventually fell through.

As a bonus: Persona release dates. I list them separately, though, since these days they get released much quicker in Europe, because - duh - it's Persona. These games sell pretty well. So, I wouldn't base an estimate on Apocalypse's release on those games, but it's possible.

• Persona Q: Nov 25th 2014 (US), Nov 28th 2014 (EU)
  • Persona Dancing: Sep 29th 2015 (US), Nov 9th (EU)
  • Persona Arena Ultimax: Sep 30th 2014 (US), Nov 21th 2014 (EU)

You may want to read Victor Ireland's post in the Summon Night 5 thread about the EU publishing red tape. It sounds pretty complicated.

Eh. NISA and Koei Tecmo show that it's easily possible to release JRPGs in Europe and the US at roughly the same time (as in: a couple days later). Atlus doesn't have a proper presence in Europe, though, and thus is dependent on whatever free spot other publishers (usually NISA) can/want to give them. Among other things.

javadoze

Thank goodness the game's title is "Apocalypse" instead of "Final" so I can now look up the ost in peace without getting something like: "Shin Megami Tensei IV Final Boss" in the results...

...Though it already happened to me a few weeks ago...

g.r.e.

Really digging the name change. And let us praise YHVH for the western release, for I was a bit skeptical about it. :p

Hylian7

Excuse my ignorance, what differences exist between SMTIV and this?
Entirely new game, new protagonist, story, everything. It takes place in the same Tokyo as SMTIV, but is a different story there.

The SMTIV protagonist does show up in this one as a partner though.

They really shoulda removed IV from the title honestly.
It would have just confused people further about this being in the same Tokyo as SMT4.

The name is redundant, but I'll take it! So glad they've finally commented on the NA release. I've been devouring the OST tracks posted on YouTube. They're fucking phenomenal.

Stalk

Hyped. I'm anxious about an EU release considering the last time but as people point out we can wait half a year at least
or I can just get around region locking in cfw...

Azuran

Banned
They really shoulda removed IV from the title honestly.

If Final Fantasy can get away with it, so can SMT. I like having the IV just because it implies a direct connection. Shin Megami Tensei: Apocalypse just doesn't sound as good to me especially when Flynn of all people is in the cover art.

StereoVsn

Man, Final was such a terrible name. Not too crazy about Apocalypse but what the hell. Not sure if I will get this on release date with Tokyo Mirage, Odin Sphere, Blood and Wine, Fallout 4 big expansion and other games that are all coming May through September, but I will get this eventually.

I just hope they don't time it close or on same week as Final Fantasy XV.

Nice to get word from atlusprime...

but as much as i love Persona and SMT etc its hard not to feel that the people who let Atlus USA etc down don't give a fuck about EU so why should I bother : i feel even if the NX handheld is region free they'd find some way to screw it up. hope it's good and look forward to playing it never/in 2020.

At least P5 will be region free >_>

I suppose this gives me an excuse to kick on with The Witcher 3:

Top Bottom