• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: EU release pushed back to Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jisgsaw

How come this shit is so fucking hard to do when Sega owns Atlus and has successfully launched hundreds of games in Europe. After all of this I'm expecting a "The game is ready for release but due to a packed release schedule we will postpone the release, more news early 2015"

Most probably, SMT IV is a special case, because localization should have been planed before Sega bought them up (should, but well, with Atlus you never know). All seems t point to a failed partnership with NoE, which means Atlus started to work on localization on their own a few month ago (which is still a pretty long time to port the US build on PAL consoles).

The first real "Sega Atlus" release will be Persona Q (which of course isn't published by Sega, but NISA), which should be released pretty close to US release
unless of course atlus really are completely incompetent when it comes to game code on 3DS, which I begin to suspect

Lernaean

Banned
Most probably, SMT IV is a special case, because localization should have been planed before Sega bought them up (should, but well, with Atlus you never know). All seems t point to a failed partnership with NoE, which means Atlus started to work on localization on their own a few month ago (which is still a pretty long time to port the US build on PAL consoles).

The first real "Sega Atlus" release will be Persona Q (which of course isn't published by Sega, but NISA), which should be released pretty close to US release
unless of course atlus really are completely incompetent when it comes to game code on 3DS, which I begin to suspect

This is wrong actually. The localization was planned as early as the NA one and it was supposed to be published by Atlus and be released in a special edition with mini-soundtrack like the NA one, as announced way back then.
The whole blame falls on Atlus for being a terrible publisher and Sega for being even more terrible and doing nothing about anything concerning Atlus and Europe even though they are the parent company of Atlus for a long while now.
There is no actual localization. Atlus is using the NA version for the European release, and it all indicates to a sloppy job that still takes too long because of their incompetence.
Further highlighting their incompetence is the fact that even though PQ is yet to be released, Sega does nothing about it and NISA had to be the one to publish it even though Atlus now does have a publishing branch, that of Sega. Before anyone says that Sega's Euro branch isn't strong, i see they are ok publishing P4AU, so that ain't true either, Sega just doesn't take any risks.
Also Atlus, as a developer are fairly competent. Don't sell them short because their publishing branch are total losers.
Also want to remind everyone that the internet was way too happy when Atlus was bought by Sega, because they were petrified they might had been bought by Nintendo. Well here goes your Atlus guys. Even worse than it was before.

Still buying SMTIV day one, still have a huge amount of respect for Atlus as a developer, but as a publisher they are just as bad as ever, and Sega, my childhood god is entirely dead to me.

artsi

Wait I'm a tad confused
Did John give us our 'next week' news? Or are we still waiting?

Still waiting.

Qv4HRbd.png

5NI9QBf.jpg

Jisgsaw

This is wrong actually. The localization was planned as early as the NA one and it was supposed to be published by Atlus and be released in a special edition with mini-soundtrack like the NA one, as announced way back then.

When you have the president of Nintendo France explaining they are working on the french translation back in May, excuse me to find it much more reasonable that NoE was planed to publish it, localized, rather than Atlus from the start.
With the reduction of NoE office, I guess they canceled their deal with Atlus, which then began to work to publish it (and 4 month for that is still a joke, yes).

Which doesn't mean Atlus isn't terrible when it comes to Europe (as is Sega), they have proven that often enough.

When you have the president of Nintendo France explaining they are working on the french translation back in May, excuse me to find it much more reasonable that NoE was planed to publish it, localized, rather than Atlus from the start.
With the reduction of NoE office, I guess they canceled their deal with Atlus, which then began to work to publish it (and 4 month for that is still a joke, yes).

Which doesn't mean Atlus isn't terrible when it comes to Europe (as is Sega), they have proven that often enough.

As you said, Nintendo France was supposed to be localizing this in May... of 2014. The game was published in North America in July 2013 though.

If NoE was involved in publishing this game in Europe from the start, they would've been involved already in 2012 or 2013. And it would've been long released by now. It looks however like Atlus had already been either not caring about a Euro release at all, or being incompetent for months before Nintendo eventually stepped in and try to set things right.

So nice try blaming Nintendo for this one, but it's really mostly Atlus/SEGA.

Lernaean

Banned

It was announced in the beginning that Atlus would localize and publish it.
The president of Nintendo France or LeFigaro, could have pulled that off their ass or could be talking about a (now failed) attempt to publish it because they saw Atlus having done nothing in a year. The fact itself that there is no EFIGS version of the game, just a port of the NA version proves that.
No matter what, it was initially an Atlus publication and it's for Atlus to take the blame.
All the 3rd party games published by NoE have been released very close to their NA counterparts. In many cases earlier. Also all Atlus games published by someone else have been released in time. Only when Atlus publishes their own stuff in Europe we have these fuckups, and it's unfair to imply that either Nintendo or any other third party publisher had to publish this and failed, resulting to the current situation.

Jisgsaw

If NoE was involved in publishing this game in Europe from the start, they would've been involved already in 2012 or 2013.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to say,and my main gripe with Atlus. As I said in another thread one day, I'm sure Europe is only an afterthought for them, and that it actually makes the PAL release more expensive for them, whoever the publisher is. And that's where it seems, if we take Persona Q as example, they want to change (if it's because of Sega is up in the stars). I hope I'm right on this one.

In no way am I trying to put the blame on NoE. IMHO, ALL of the delays for PAL releases of Atlus games was caused by Atlus in the past, whatever the publisher it used to be (Ghostlight, Squre, Ubisoft, Zen, NISA).

It was announced in the beginning that Atlus would localize and publish it.

Where? Only thing I recall is that was the response of NoE support when people asked who the publisher was, which is in no way a sure source (they probably just looked up the developper).
My guess on all this (and it's only a guess): NoE wanted a translation of the game to promote it, and have a big release for a poor 2014 year for the 3DS. They went to Atlus, these were delighted, but NoE was understaffed, working on other projects (e.g. AA vs Layton). They started somewhen early/mid 2014 with the translation, and staff reduction in June killed the project. Resulting in the eShop english only release. Which, even with all this mess, should have been out week/month ago if Atlus wasn't so bad when it comes to Europe.

I have absolutely no source, but seeing the PAL releases in the past 12 years, my guess is just that Atlus has absolutely no concern for Europe, and thus doesn't work fast on required code changes when asked to do so by the publisher (even if said publisher is AtlusUSA. Main problem is the main atlus branch I'd guess).

ZeroX03

Banned
All the 3rd party games published by NoE have been released very close to their NA counterparts. In many cases earlier. Also all Atlus games published by someone else have been released in time. Only when Atlus publishes their own stuff in Europe we have these fuckups, and it's unfair to imply that either Nintendo or any other third party publisher had to publish this and failed, resulting to the current situation.

Huh? Persona 3, Persona 4 Arena, Devil Survivor Overclocked come to mind as being published by someone other than Atlus and being released significantly later (6+ months) than the States. Zen blamed P4A on Atlus Japan though. edit: Devil Survivor 2 as well, and DDS1&2.

Looking at wikipedia, and at the post below mine, it seems almost all Atlus titles released are 4+ months by third party publishers. It's a miracle P4AU is making it this year and that Persona Q is only days apart.

Jisgsaw

Also all Atlus games published by someone else have been released in time. Only when Atlus publishes their own stuff in Europe we have these fuckups, and it's unfair to imply that either Nintendo or any other third party publisher had to publish this and failed, resulting to the current situation.

Wait, what?
Hell no they weren't. Best case we had for a SMT game was 3 month for P4G. All other releases, even by a giant like Square Enix, took around 6 to 9 month, worse case being DS:O that came 2 years later and with added gamebreaking bugs.

To put that in numbers, foobarry81 did a quick recap of NA vs PAL releases on the previous (now locked) thread:

Lernaean

Banned
In no way am I trying to put the blame on NoE. IMHO, ALL of the delays for PAL releases of Atlus games was caused by Atlus in the past, whatever the publisher it used to be (Ghostlight, Squre, Ubisoft, Zen, NISA).

Where?

I have absolutely no source, but seeing the PAL releases in the past 12 years, my guess is just that Atlus has absolutely no concern for Europe, and thus doesn't work fast on required code changes when asked to do so by the publisher (even if said publisher is AtlusUSA. Main problem is the main atlus branch I'd guess).

First part is true, as for where, in the Nintendo direct they did say that Atlus would give the Euro version the same treatment as NA, then clearly said about a physical edition with the mini soundtrack. The project was always Atlus's.

Huh? Persona 3, Persona 4 Arena, Devil Survivor Overclocked come to mind as being published by someone other than Atlus and being released significantly later (6+ months) than the States. Zen blamed P4A on Atlus Japan though. edit: Devil Survivor 2 as well, and DDS1&2.

Looking at wikipedia, and at the post below mine, it seems almost all Atlus titles released are 4+ months by third party publishers. It's a miracle P4AU is making it this year and that Persona Q is only days apart.

Wait, what?
Hell no they weren't. Best case we had for a SMT game was 3 month for P4G. All other releases, even by a giant like Square Enix, took around 6 to 9 month, worse case being DS:O that came 2 years later and with added gamebreaking bugs.

Ok, you are right on that, most games weren't on time, but NISA games were on time or close, and if i'm not wrong we never had a one year + delay ever again, or if there was, it was a western overall delay. This shit right now is the worst.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ok, you are right on that, most games weren't on time, but NISA games were on time or close, and if i'm not wrong we never had a one year + delay ever again, or if there was, it was a western overall delay. This shit right now is the worst.

Devil Survivor Overclocked and Devil Survivor 2 are still worse.

Jisgsaw

First part is true, as for where, in the Nintendo direct they did say that Atlus would give the Euro version the same treatment as NA, then clearly said about a physical edition with the mini soundtrack. The project was always Atlus's.

Hu, I only remember them saying SMT4 will come to Europe, but I'll believe you on that.
Then I'm for your explanation that Nintendo jumped on the game when atlus didn't move (probably beginning of 2014), and had to give it up.
As I said, still atlus' fault. Seeing DS:O, I'm just hoping for Persona Q that Nintendo didn't have to jump in also because of technical issues of atlus with PAL 3DS code (whatever that could mean).

Well, for now DS:O was worse in the sense that the wait was longer and these added bugs. But on the other hand, it wasn't sure before somewhat close to the release (a few month) that it'll come over, and the original Devil Survivor was region free on DS.

Anyway, only thing all these delayed releases had in comon was the developper: Atlus Japan. From there, I'm quite confident that they are the problem. For now, as I hope that beginning with Persona Q, it'll change.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Devil Survivor Overclocked and Devil Survivor 2 are still worse.
DSO released in under a year after it's European announcement even though it added a bunch of bugs that got patched after one or two months, and SMT4 and DS2 (for now) took one and a half year, but importing was an option for DS2. So I'd say this is worse.

Oberon

Banned
There is no actual localization. Atlus is using the NA version for the European release,

Oh! I actually missed this little detail.
So we waited literally for NOTHING?
My "I might buy this game when it's on sale"
Became "I won't give this company my money ever again"
This is preally painful for me. I want to play this game so bad, and P5 is a thing too!
Is this what you wanted Atlus?

Lernaean

Banned
Hu, I only remember them saying SMT4 will come to Europe, but I'll believe you on that.
Then I'm for your explanation that Nintendo jumped on the game when atlus didn't move (probably beginning of 2014), and had to give it up.
As I said, still atlus' fault. Seeing DS:O, I'm just hoping for Persona Q that Nintendo didn't have to jump in also because of technical issues of atlus with PAL 3DS code (whatever that could mean).

Well, for now DS:O was worse in the sense that the wait was longer and these added bugs. But on the other hand, it wasn't sure before somewhat close to the release (a few month) that it'll come over, and the original Devil Survivor was region free on DS.

Anyway, only thing all these delayed releases had in comon was the developper: Atlus Japan. From there, I'm quite confident that they are the problem. For now, as I hope that beginning with Persona Q, it'll change.

I have no doubt about PQ, Nisa will deliver, even though they are a bit more expensive than usual.
The real first Sega published game here in EU will be P4AU, we'll see how that goes.

7threst

Are there even reasonable reasons for a game to be delayed or released later here (next to maybe localisations in French/German/Spanish)? I mean, are there certain laws in certain European countries that are troublesome for localisations?

Not sure if this has been answered before in this thread but I'm really curious. It feels like Atlus just doesn't give a shit about Europe which is strange, There is a whole market for them to sell to over here :(

ZeroX03

Banned
DSO released in under a year after it's European announcement even though it added a bunch of bugs that got patched after one or two months, and SMT4 and DS2 (for now) took one and a half year, but importing was an option for DS2. So I'd say this is worse.

Which was still over a year and a half later than the States. 19 months and then another 2 months for the patch. I'd say time between US and EU release is more important than time between announcement and release.

Peff

Oh! I actually missed this little detail.
So we waited literally for NOTHING?

Well, don't go counting your chickens just yet, we might get a brand new exclusive game-breaking bug... again.

I don't think so? This was all they showed, just "It's coming lol" and a trailer, which is why for a whole year we kept wondering just who the hell was publishing the darn thing.

Which was still over a year and a half later than the States. I'd say time between US and EU release is more important than time between announcement and release.

You can hardly release something that hasn't been licensed. SMTIV was officially announced before the Japanese release.

Jisgsaw

Are there even reasonable reasons for a game to be delayed or released later here (next to maybe localisations in French/German/Spanish)? I mean, are there certain laws in certain European countries that are troublesome for localisations?

Not sure if this has been answered before in this thread but I'm really curious. It feels like Atlus just doesn't give a shit about Europe which is strange, There is a whole market for them to sell to over here :(

If you find a definitive answer, I'm all ears as I've asked that question quite often over the years.
What I gathered:
- NoE has some requirements that differ from those of NoA
- Lotchecking has to be made by NoE
- (e-)Manual has to be at least in PAL5
- The game must pass by all relevant rating agencies
- In case of a physical release, distribution has to be planned.

The first point is apparently one where inexperienced (regarding NoE) publisher spend quite some time to have NoE be satisfied. Second and fourth point, if I understood correctly, actually cost a decent amount, as you have to pay up front for the agencies to look at your game. Which is why small publisher (e.g. Ghostlight) take some time to release games, as they have to bring up the money for all that.

I'm sure there are a few other things, but anyway, every single other developper/publisher has showned there is absolutely no good excuse for delays between PAL and NA when the game isn't localized. Only other thing I see to explain a delay could be the release plan, if one region gets one big concurrent to your game the same month, or the catalog of the publisher for the region being weak on the following month.

vag 2.0

so even if it does release, it'd be prudent to wait in case of literal game breaking bugs? (i tend to import, this is new to me)

jesus

also

Banned
If you find a definitive answer, I'm all ears as I've asked that question quite often over the years.
What I gathered:
- NoE has some requirements that differ from those of NoA
- Lotchecking has to be made by NoE
- (e-)Manual has to be at least in PAL5
- The game must pass by all relevant rating agencies
- In case of a physical release, distribution has to be planned.

The first point is apparently one where inexperienced (regarding NoE) publisher spend quite some time to have NoE be satisfied. Second and fourth point, if I understood correctly, actually cost a decent amount, as you have to pay up front for the agencies to look at your game. Which is why small publisher (e.g. Ghostlight) take some time to release games, as they have to bring up the money for all that.

I'm sure there are a few other things, but anyway, every single other developper/publisher has showned there is absolutely no good excuse for delays between PAL and NA when the game isn't localized. Only other thing I see to explain a delay could be the release plan, if one region gets one big concurrent to your game the same month, or the catalog of the publisher for the region being weak on the following month.
That's not true at all. There are plenty of games with manuals in only English and French. I'm still not sure if French is there because of Canada or if France actually requires it. Regardless, the NA release has all the languages they need.

BTW, these are the fees for getting your game rated.
-Germany: USK fee is1200€
-rest of Europe: PEGI fee is 1155€
Note that the fees vary based on game size and budget, so check the links if you want more info. For comparison, ESRB would charge no fees for a digital only game, 800$ for a retail release if the budget was lower than 250'000$ and 4000$ if higher.
I don't know how much Nintendo charges for lot checking or if they charge anything at all.

ZeroX03

Banned
Note that the fees vary based on game size and budget, so check the links if you want more info. For comparison, ESRB would charge no fees for a digital only game, 800$ for a retail release if the budget was lower than 250'000$ and 4000$ if higher.
I don't know how much Nintendo charges for lot checking or if they charge anything at all.

PAL releases cover some countries outside of Europe too, you also have to pay for game rating in Australia, as well as New Zealand depending on the game content and what Australia rates it. Few thousand each for longer games. Also other countries but I'm not sure on those.

Jisgsaw

That's not true at all. There are plenty of games with manuals in only English and French. I'm still not sure if French is there because of Canada or if France actually requires it. Regardless, the NA release has all the languages they need.

I'll admit that I thought it was required because I always see french in there (I'm french, so that's the only real other langage I check).
But then I wonder why they took the time to do a german manual for Ar Nosurge... ?

Well, thanks for the links. That's cheaper than what I expected.
I'd expect Nintendo to charge for the lot check though, that's how they make money, isn't it?

also

Banned
PAL releases cover some countries outside of Europe too, you also have to pay for game rating in Australia, as well as New Zealand depending on the game content and what Australia rates it. Few thousand each for longer games. Also other countries but I'm not sure on those.

I think SMT IV is not releasing in Australia and New Zealand, that's why I didn't include it. Their ratings system is also getting an overhaul to make it cheaper/free.
Afaik, PEGI, USK and ACB (Australa) are all you need to release a PAL game.

I'll admit that I thought it was required because I always see french in there (I'm french, so that's the only real other langage I check).
But then I wonder why they took the time to do a german manual for Ar Nosurge... ?

Well, thanks for the links. That's cheaper than what I expected.
I'd expect Nintendo to charge for the lot check though, that's how they make money, isn't it?

Translating a game manual is probably cheap and makes it easier for people, who aren't fluent in the game's language, to understand and play the game?

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo, Sony and MS make most of their money through licensing costs; they take a cut (~30% for digital games) for each game sold on their system.

It's not that even bigger software houses spend a lot of time in translating the manual. I personally saw e-manual that were translated using Google Translate.

It really sucks that a developer basically has to plead with a bunch of people who had no bearing on how good the game is, just so they can 'buy time' to make it better.

Delay as long as you need, y'all

Easy for me to say in the US but damn. It is just sad how apologetic the ART CREATORS are about the art THEY MAKE, just because they are STILL MAKING IT AWESOME / MAKING IT NOT SUCK 4 U

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :(

It really sucks that a developer basically has to plead with a bunch of people who had no bearing on how good the game is, just so they can 'buy time' to make it better.

Easy for me to say in the US but damn. It is just sad how apologetic the ART CREATORS are about the art THEY MAKE, just because they are STILL MAKING IT AWESOME / MAKING IT NOT SUCK 4 U

What?

Jisgsaw

Well the thing is... they aren't, we will get the exact same game you got in the US 15 month ago.
If there was a localization, people would be much less vocal (even though even then 15 month is a long time).

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I think SMT IV is not releasing in Australia and New Zealand, that's why I didn't include it. Their ratings system is also getting an overhaul to make it cheaper/free.
Well in SMT4's case, it has already been rated by the OFLC. It got an M so I suppose that works out in NZ also.
Afaik, PEGI, USK and ACB (Australa) are all you need to release a PAL game.
Not necessarily, some developers doesn't submit their games to USK or OFLC (to reduce costs), so the game won't release over there. You don't even need to have PEGI rate it (which is really dumb but those cases exist).

Rikkun

I completely lost interest in this game for now, but I'm sure this thread and its news will keep me entertained.

My bet is second half of November AT LEAST.

EDIT:

WHOA, SO SOON SO GOOD.

L~A

Not, it wasn't.

Here's the video of the Direct itself: YouTube

And the blurb from the PR:

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Developed exclusively for Nintendo 3DS, and now announced for Europe, the game features 3D dungeons, voiced dialogue and StreetPass functionality.

No mention of Atlus (except that they made the game), or a physical edition at all.

And no, it wasn't mentionned in any other Direct after this one. Or at all, until Atlus said they'd publish the game themselves.

For more than a year, the game was shrouded in total secrecy, and it was absolutely impossible to get anything at all about it.

Not, it wasn't.

Here's the video of the Direct itself: YouTube

And the blurb from the PR:

No mention of Atlus (except that they made the game), or a physical edition at all.

And no, it wasn't mentionned in any other Direct after this one. Or at all, until Atlus said they'd publish the game themselves.

For more than a year, the game was shrouded in total secrecy, and it was absolutely impossible to get anything at all about it.

One interesting thing: when Nintendo released the material for that specific Direct, SMTIV was in the same folder of BD (eventually published by Nintendo), separated by first party games as well as third party games. That is the main reason why people believed SMTIV was going to be published by Nintendo.

Please detail which improvements we should expect over the american and japanese versions that took a year+ to develop.

Or end your postts with a /s, that'd work too.

I have to wait almost 2 years for localisation, despite living in an English speaking country.

At this point in time, publishers must have their heads so far up their arse that they can't even think straight with the lack of oxygen. How does this shit happen in 2014?

Jisgsaw

I have to wait almost 2 years for localisation, despite living in an English speaking country.

At this point in time, publishers must have their heads so far up their arse that they can't even think straight with the lack of oxygen. How does this shit happen in 2014?

Ther is no localisation, everybody will have to play in english.
Well, the handfull people who'll still take the game anyway. As to how that can happen in 2014... well, Atlus is doing its best for that to happen.

MicH

This is so ridiculous. How fucking incompetent can you be?! Jesus Christ, this is god damn embarrassing. Needless to say, I am not buying this game whenever is releases

Sadist

I'm still buying, but for their own sake I hope Atlus won't moan about terrible sales or other sales related talks here in Europe... because man, this is beyond terrible.

Xhorder

Still buying it, I'm happy it's still coming out after all this time. Still, I only believe it when I play it. So far Atlus doesn't really deserve my trust anymore! Only a miracle could bring that back (hint: physical release!). I love Atlus games, but I hate their publishing side of the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom