• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Armor And Fine Words... The Official NO MORE HEROES Thread

Milabrega

goldenticket said:
hey im looking for general tips for bitter mode. like i died getting to the rank 7 fight. that one room that starts with 2 guys with guns messed me up. i didnt have enough power when i got to the room towards the end of it with 3 guys with light sabers. so some helpful hints/strategies for bitter mode would be nice

The Nunchuck waggle jumping slash move takes these guys to the ground instantly.

robot

So this game motivated me to get my wii off of my 42" LCD (Rear Projection) and onto my 32" CRT TV. I've noticed while my LCD does an amazing job with 1080i and 720p, it just looks like ass in 480p. So anyways, the game looks like 100x better in 480p on my CRT set. A little on the jaggy side, but great nonetheless.

Great game so far - the map is a little too big for it's own good and somewhat pointless, but the combat is just too damn awesome. I love the whole style of the game too. Oh and tshirt #81 kicks ass.

I just got up to Destroyman, and for some reason - his crotch beam made my game freeze.

John Harker said:
Did you listen to all the voice mails from
"the assoication?" that was what sounded like Henry's voice.... and even more so in the final message, which dropped the hiding of the irish accent when he said 'have a nice journey' or something along those lines, very much with the full accent revealed. Who else could it have been? The assoication was a con. The narrative went out of the way to have one of Sylvia's "other men" speak at one point, and it was certainly not the same guy.
The messages have to be from Henry. I don't see why they would use his voice actor if it wasn't supposed to be Henry.

robot said:
So this game motivated me to get my wii off of my 42" LCD (Rear Projection) and onto my 32" CRT TV. I've noticed while my LCD does an amazing job with 1080i and 720p, it just looks like ass in 480p. So anyways, the game looks like 100x better in 480p on my CRT set. A little on the jaggy side, but great nonetheless.

Great game so far - the map is a little too big for it's own good and somewhat pointless, but the combat is just too damn awesome. I love the whole style of the game too. Oh and tshirt #81 kicks ass.

I just got up to Destroyman, and for some reason - his crotch beam made my game freeze.

Yeah, the awesomeness of that move will do that sometimes.

Also, I have a question:

Is it normal, for during the Rank 1 match, for the "The Wii Remote's battery is low. Please replace it." to pop up?

I ask this, because my battery indicator was full, so I thought maybe it was a psych out thing (similar to the FISSION MAILED scene in MGS2).

AceBandage said:

Also, I have a question:

Is it normal, for during the Rank 1 match, for the "The Wii Remote's battery is low. Please replace it." to pop up?

I ask this, because my battery indicator was full, so I thought maybe it was a psych out thing (similar to the FISSION MAILED scene in MGS2).
You're the second person I've seen to mention something like that. I never had such problems, though.

Nicktals

Banned
AceBandage said:

Also, I have a question:

I had an issue like that too. Are you using a battery pack? (as opposed to batteries or rechargeable batteries). I thought it might have something to do with that, as I use one.

Nicktals said:
I had an issue like that too. Are you using a battery pack? (as opposed to batteries or rechargeable batteries). I thought it might have something to do with that, as I use one.

Nope, normal AAs.

Sallokin

I loved the twist at the fifth ranked fight. I was stumped as to how I was going to fight that guy and his huge machine but then the game just went ahead and got MORE awesome.

Sallokin said:
I loved the twist at the fifth ranked fight. I was stumped as to how I was going to fight that guy and his huge machine but then the game just went ahead and got MORE awesome.

Funny thing about that. I actually figured out what I was probably suppose to do before the fight began
(stay out of the red zone and attack the little guy)
, but then Suda said "Yeah, no for you!"

And I loved it.

zoukka

Wohoo today I got my USA-version of the game. The only downside is I can't yet play it :lol Great cover btw much more elegant live than in pictures. Yankees win this time.

Btw here's a video showing the difference between PAL-USA versions. SPOILAGE inside. I peeked and the difference is pretty big. I think the PAL-version is still playable because the "feel" of the cinema doesn't change as much, but needless to say I'm not investing on PAL-version.

Now keep me informed when/if a mod or freeloader that enables me to play the damn game comes up! The game fucking stared at me last night.

Alts

Sallokin said:

We've been doing well so far for spoilers, even the most obscure of things. Can we keep it that way, please?

Anyway, this is more for John Harker than anyone else, but...

assassins that explicitly mention
assassins and ranking
:
Rank 8
Rank 7
Rank 6

Tenbatsu

AceBandage said:
Actually, I'm hoping the sequel has nothing to do with this game besides starring Travis.
Just to screw with us even more.

Or the next game might be making your way down the assassin line.....:lol

Alts

Companion Cube said:
Does anyone know the significance of that Jupiter book in the pants of that Garcian-y character?

As of yet, it is unsolved. Someone made a lengthy post about a Beethoven song with the word Jupiter in the title that plays in a scene in Killer 7, but that is reaching a bit much.

Tenbatsu

Companion Cube said:
Does anyone know the significance of that Jupiter book in the pants of that Garcian-y character?

I noticed that too, but it might just be his name or something, just a guess.

BTW the
chinese gold character on Tsubaki III stands for 'Tiger'.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
sonicspear64 said:
For the cards, what's the exact number?
150ish?
Yup,
150, if I recall correctly

Alts said:
As of yet, it is unsolved. Someone made a lengthy post about a Beethoven song with the word Jupiter in the title that plays in a scene in Killer 7, but that is reaching a bit much.
I did. It's reaching, but I just wanted to mention it because it was the only "connection" that came to my mind.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Alts said:
We've been doing well so far for spoilers, even the most obscure of things. Can we keep it that way, please?

Anyway, this is more for John Harker than anyone else, but...

assassins that explicitly mention
assassins and ranking
:
Rank 8
Rank 7
Rank 6

Well them mentioning being
assassins doesn't particularly matter too much because it makes sense SOME of these killers would be. I recall Shinobu mentioning a rankings fight, but she's young and shows up at the end, and as I said, it makes sense she could also have been duped in Sylvia. Can you refresh my memory the context of 7th and 6th mention rankings/numbers? I've only played through once so far, so I don't explicitly recall. Thanks for looking back though

After trying to resist, I broke down and bought this last night. I previously held off since funds are low, I have a huge backlog, and it seems to be a love/hate game but after playing it for two hours I'm pretty happy with that decision. This game is pure insanity on a level I haven't experienced since Katamari Damacy. After debating on which difficulty level to start on, I went with Mild and played to the point where I unlocked the 9th ranked mission. So far, it's been pretty manageable but after glancing through this thread and seeing people apparently struggling with some of the bosses was this a mistake? I was worried Sweet would just be too easy, and I don't really want to start over at this point (I've already been kicking the hell out of some dumpsters and collecting lots of Lolikov Balls) but to any of you that have already beat it, what would you recommend for a first time playthrough?

supercake

baphometbones said:
After trying to resist, I broke down and bought this last night. I previously held off since funds are low, I have a huge backlog, and it seems to be a love/hate game but after playing it for two hours I'm pretty happy with that decision. This game is pure insanity on a level I haven't experienced since Katamari Damacy. After debating on which difficulty level to start on, I went with Mild and played to the point where I unlocked the 9th ranked mission. So far, it's been pretty manageable but after glancing through this thread and seeing people apparently struggling with some of the bosses was this a mistake? I was worried Sweet would just be too easy, and I don't really want to start over at this point (I've already been kicking the hell out of some dumpsters and collecting lots of Lolikov Balls) but to any of you that have already beat it, what would you recommend for a first time playthrough?

Depends on good you are on action games, and what you want out of NMH. Once I got the counterattacking move down, the game became very manageable. (Hold left or right while you block, and when time slows down, thats a counterattack, attack then. There's better explanations out there, but make sure you have this down.)

Certain bosses were difficult for me on mild, but I didn't have the counterattack down yet. It really depends on how good you are. If you suck at action, just play it on sweet, there's no reason to punish yourself.

Fuu

baphometbones said:
Mild is definitely ok. Most people have problems with the #8 rank fight because it's the first boss that heavily requires that you dodge and don't simply button mash during the fight. Master the slow-mo circle strafe with the analog stick and you'll be alright.

I played first on Mild, then I unlocked everything on Bitter. I'm playing on Sweet now just to see the differences and it's really, really easy.

Have fun! This game rocks in many different ways.

supercake said:
Depends on good you are on action games, and what you want out of NMH. Once I got the counterattacking move down, the game became very manageable. (Hold left or right while you block, and when time slows down, thats a counterattack, attack then. There's better explanations out there, but make sure you have this down.)

Certain bosses were difficult for me on mild, but I didn't have the counterattack down yet. It really depends on how good you are. If you suck at action, just play it on sweet, there's no reason to punish yourself.

Awesome. I managed to tackle Ninja Gaiden and enjoyed every soul torturing minute of it, so I'll stick to mild. Thanks for the advice. It should prove pretty helpful, as I wasn't even aware of a counterattack option.

John Harker

Alaluef said:
Mild is definitely ok. Most people have problems with the #8 rank fight because it's the first boss that heavily requires that you dodge and don't simply button mash during the fight. Master the slow-mo circle strafe with the analog stick and you'll be alright.

I played first on Mild, then I unlocked everything on Bitter. I'm playing on Sweet now just to see the differences and it's really, really easy.

Have fun! This game rocks in many different ways.

Disagree.

If by 'dodging' you mean using the roll dodge, then this is what actually makes the fight harder. Hell, I listened to GAF on that and it took me FOREVER to beat her!

It's much easier if you avoid the pillars entirely and circle strafe. Now thaaaat is the key to taking down the hardest bitch in videogames.

Fuu

John Harker said:
Disagree.

If by 'dodging' you mean using the roll dodge, then this is what actually makes the fight harder. Hell, I listened to GAF on that and it took me FOREVER to beat her!

It's much easier if you avoid the pillars entirely and circle strafe. Now thaaaat is the key to taking down the hardest bitch in videogames.
By dodgind I meant the circle strafe. Should have phrased it differently. :p

Alaluef said:
Master the slow-mo circle strafe with the analog stick and you'll be alright.
The directional dodge roll is also useful on occasion, though. I did use it to escape from some of Shinobu's sonic swords.

Milabrega said:
The Nunchuck waggle jumping slash move takes these guys to the ground instantly.

cool. where i have most of the problems is the room before it (this is on rank 7 level). the room before starts with two guys with guns and a guy with a sword. i can get to here with tons of power but by the time i get by this room im about to die. whats a good stragedy for playing on bitter facing multiple gun people? what happens is im blocking with z and the two gun guys are firing and different times so i have almost no opening to fight the guy with the sword. and when i try to slash him i usually get hit from the guns.

Dartastic

I HATE THE BIKE JUMP MISSION WITH A PASSION. WHY CAN I NOT PASS IT. AUGHHHHHH!

For the love of god, someone please help with advice for this stupid thing.

Edit. Beat it. I still hate that mission.

Dartastic said:
I HATE THE BIKE JUMP MISSION WITH A PASSION. WHY CAN I NOT PASS IT. AUGHHHHHH!

For the love of god, someone please help with advice for this stupid thing.

i had a problem with it because i got the message about jumping in a different spot then where i should have been doing it. jump over the
little gate thing, its like a post that raises and lowers to stop cars. dont try to jump over the fence (like i tried to for a while). after you jump it you just ride around to stadium to the spot

Dartastic

goldenticket said:
i had a problem with it because i got the message about jumping in a different spot then where i should have been doing it. jump over the
little gate thing, its like a post that raises and lowers to stop cars. dont try to jump over the fence (like i tried to for a while). after you jump it you just ride around to stadium to the spot

It was the
job where you jump off the pier actually, but thanks anyway.
:D

John Harker said:
Disagree.

On bitter, the bitch doesn't take circle strafing dodges up the ass like she does on Sweet and Mild.
During the beginning, you could probably get a couple hits if you circle strafe, but she starts dodging as soon as you get the strafe later in the fight. Then she only lets you get one hit at a time if you hit her while in a combo. Lost 2 times against her so I resorted to using the low charge combo for Tsubaki Mk-III when she was at 25% or so.

John Harker

sonicspear64 said:
On bitter, the bitch doesn't take circle strafing dodges up the ass like she does on Sweet and Mild.
During the beginning, you could probably get a couple hits if you circle strafe, but she starts dodging as soon as you get the strafe later in the fight. Then she only lets you get one hit at a time if you hit her while in a combo. Lost 2 times against her so I resorted to using the low charge combo for Tsubaki Mk-III when she was at 25% or so.

I just started it on bitter, but honestly, I'm terrified of her, so I may not even play it through :lol

Alts

John Harker said:
Well them mentioning being
assassins doesn't particularly matter too much because it makes sense SOME of these killers would be. I recall Shinobu mentioning a rankings fight, but she's young and shows up at the end, and as I said, it makes sense she could also have been duped in Sylvia. Can you refresh my memory the context of 7th and 6th mention rankings/numbers? I've only played through once so far, so I don't explicitly recall. Thanks for looking back though

I'm replaying the game, and paying much closer attention to these sorts of things now.

Specifics:
Destroyman refers to you as #8. Explicitly calls himself an assassin.
Holly refers to how Travis' inability to kill a woman (I think that was the context) would prevent him from ever reaching the top ranks.

honestly she wasnt hard on bitter for me. i lost to her once because when she got low on power i got too aggressive. but you learn her attacks and when to attack. i do the hold z and walk around her thing. now getting to destroyman is tough for me (see my help post above)

EDIT well i dont walk around her unless she is coming at me. normally i just keep a distance enough to avoid her attacks but close enough to hit her after she misses. also she leaves herself open at times like when she talk trash or when she twirls her sword

Dartastic

ACK! I think I just botched
the real ending. I sat on the toilet, watched the "ending", then let the credits go. I started a new game on a slightly harder difficulty, and I've gone back to the bathroom after becoming rank 10, but I can't select the real ending! Help!

Dartastic said:
ACK! I think I just botched
the real ending. I sat on the toilet, watched the "ending", then let the credits go. I started a new game on a slightly harder difficulty, and I've gone back to the bathroom after becoming rank 10, but I can't select the real ending! Help!
Did you save over your original save file?

Dartastic

ninj4junpei said:
You're welcome. :) I had the same exact situation as you did, actually.
Yeah, that sucked quite a bit. I gotta say though, the final bit was WAY more satisfying. The ending was... awesome. Bring on NMH2, with a better city and better bike handling! :D

Edit- Aw hell, what was this about
there not being a sequel, followed by that TO BE CONTINUED crap! Man...

Top Bottom