• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Armor And Fine Words... The Official NO MORE HEROES Thread

Snaku

Banned
Started playing it about 4 hours ago, and just gained 8th rank. The game is so awesome and hilarious. Totally worth it.

Shinobu was a bitch. I died at least 5 times. Playing on Mild.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Slightly late to the party from Canada (stupid Ubi). Just got the game yesterday without any hassle at EB (although there was a guy right after me that was picking it up from a preorder), and have been playing it on Mild for about 6 hours. Art style is brilliant, fighting system is very intuitive to me personally who don't play a lot of action games, and the boss fights are fantastic!

Boss 10: Good intro boss, button masher.
Boss 9: A bit easy, but very very original. Dude reminds me of
Charles Bronson
Boss 8: Took me about an hour and 10-15 tries to take down, super intense (especially near the end)
Boss 7: Pretty easy to figure out the pattern, dude had an hilarious personality and ending with the
nipple guns
:lol
Boss 6: Pain in the ass until I figured out the vulnerabilities in every one of her moves. Extremely rewarding fight and a memorable ending.

So far so good. I'm enjoying it immensely and humming the main theme a bit too.

Ristamar

Beat the game tonight and got the real ending. I also watched the slowed down
Jeane monologue
on YouTube. Twisted shit. And throwing in the "real" final boss stuff, also somewhat hilarious. Travis certainly knows how to pick his women. Or not.

NotWii

Banned
REAL ENDING SPOILERS BELOW

I'm fighting Sir Henry Motherfucker on Mild
Fuck, won't this asshole die?!
I've been fighting him for an hour! :lol

REAL ENDING SPOILERS ABOVE

Nemesis_

Can anyone point me into the direction of the artwork for all the assassins, as well as give me a few screenshots of Sylvia (both clothed and beached =P)

Jenga

Banned
Ristamar said:
Rank 1 fight question/afterthought: Who is
Dark Star, the guy claiming to be Travis' father? How did he know so much?
No one knows.
Most likely he's just a joke character

NotWii

Banned
I think my favorite fight is Rank 2:
Bad Girl fight because of the music and because she tricked me into an instant KO

Shinobu and Jeane were the most challenging fights though

Ristamar

I was impressed by how many little things can be achieved in the combat system. The side step and charged death blow revealed themselves fairly easily through the course of play, but others totally surprised me.

Charged Guard Break: As some others have mentioned, you can often break through an enemy's guard with a charge attack, then immediately follow with a combo.

Evade vs. Charged: Use the d-pad to avoid an enemy charge attack just before it hits to visibly confuse him/her, similar to the standard side step.

Insta-kill Parry: Hit the block button just before a blow lands, then tap A. In one swift motion, Travis parries the shot, then delivers a killing strike.

Instant Boost: Not a combat maneuver, but performing the 90 degree powerslide on the bike will instantly refill your boost meter, making trips across Santa Destroy as brief as possible.

Of course, there are moves tied to specific boss battles, as well. I hope developers take a cue from the NMH control scheme as to how a great action game should feel with the Wii remote.

bryehn

Just got my Canadian copy yesterday. I can't believe how bad the graphics are. Jaggies, frame rate, clipping, etc.

That said, who fuckin' cares? This game is just some serious badassery. My wife's having fun with the side jobs and looking for Lovikov balls.

I can see us plowing through this in just a couple days.

Tenbatsu

Wii said:
I think my favorite fight is Rank 2:
Bad Girl fight because of the music and because she tricked me into an instant KO

Shinobu and Jeane were the most challenging fights though

Try fighting
Bad Girl
on bitter....

Proven

Ristamar said:
I was impressed by how many little things can be achieved in the combat system. The side step and charged death blow revealed themselves fairly easily through the course of play, but others totally surprised me.

Charged Guard Break: As some others have mentioned, you can often break through an enemy's guard with a charge attack, then immediately follow with a combo.

Evade vs. Charged: Use the d-pad to avoid an enemy charge attack just before it hits to visibly confuse him/her, similar to the standard side step.

Insta-kill Parry: Hit the block button just before a blow lands, then tap A. In one swift motion, Travis parries the shot, then delivers a killing strike.

Instant Boost: Not a combat maneuver, but performing the 90 degree powerslide on the bike will instantly refill your boost meter, making trips across Santa Destroy as brief as possible.

Of course, there are moves tied to specific boss battles, as well. I hope developers take a cue from the NMH control scheme as to how a great action game should feel with the Wii remote.

I know that many people hate it when games hide moves from you, but the fact that a lot of stuff happens by accident from just playing, and thus you learn more the more you play, that's the stuff that only few games pull off right. No More Heroes does it right and it's so rewarding to learn these techniques just from playing and being wild.

hclflow

Finished this the other day and am playing through bitter. Suda 51 has managed to deliver one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had in quite some time. In spite of its faults, this game truly shines on many levels.

I wasn't hyped through the roof for this or anything, but surprisingly, NMH managed to surpass pretty much all of my expectations.

hclflow

Proven said:
I know that many people hate it when games hide moves from you, but the fact that a lot of stuff happens by accident from just playing, and thus you learn more the more you play, that's the stuff that only few games pull off right. No More Heroes does it right and it's so rewarding to learn these techniques just from playing and being wild.

I agree. I'm enjoying the combat even more on the second play-through because now I'm fully aware of the array of techniques I can use. Parrying, for instance, is incredibly satisfying, especially if you love Gamble Fight runs like I do. Also, the fully charged low strike on the Mk. III works wonders against bosses.

Christine

Jenga said:
Pretty easy actually. Only difficult part is
the gimps she shoots at you. So fucking annoying

Actually, even that part is cake once you remember to ALWAYS ADOPT A LOW STANCE. She announces every swing with a big "Home Run!", so the timing to bat them back is easy. Once she's below 1/4 life she'll volley them back at you once, but all you need to do is mash 'A' again as soon as you've finished the 'circling the remote' QTE.

Holy shit! I haven't been so entertained by a game in such a long time. The music is awesome especially Bad Girl's. I didn't mind her killing me since that just meant I could listen to her music some more.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Holy shit! I haven't been so entertained by a game in such a long time. The music is awesome especially Bad Girl's. I didn't mind her killing me since that just meant I could listen to her music some more.
I felt the same way, actually. :lol

Ristamar

Anyone still use the MK-II? I love it for the Gamble Fight. Beating
Jeane
with it wasn't too tough, though the fight was easier the second time with the MK-III. I'd like to try using it against
Henry
, but that's obviously impossible. Regardless. I get the feeling it'd be way too slow against that bastard.

pulga

Banned
Hey guys, just wanted to know if upgrading to every new katana is smart or should I just keep the first Tsubaki and its powerups?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Game is awesome favorite Wii game so far. I hope this game sells well because it totally deserves it. The combat system is the most unique I've ever played and extremely satisfying. Only complaint I have is that the GTA components could've been done a lot better.

Ristamar

pulga said:
Hey guys, just wanted to know if upgrading to every new katana is smart or should I just keep the first Tsubaki and its powerups?

Upgrade, without a doubt. The add-ons are obviously optional. I always bought them, but I could see going without the battery upgrades.

pulga

Banned
Regarding my previous beam katana concerns,
you bastards could've told me the Mk-II sprouted five fucking separate beams :lol :lol
Would've been just as effective, probably even more so!

Alts

Wii said:
Wow, I do not understand why this game is only getting 8s, this game is clearly 9/10 (or higher) material

Because of the graphics, and a terrible overworld. Yes, if you overlook these flaws there is a phenomenal game underneath, but the flaws are still there.

pulga

Banned
Holy crap, I love Travis :lol Just got ascended to fifth rank.
"Sir Henry motherfucker. What a pussy!" This feels like a copout though, Suda owes me a boss battle, he better make up for it by game's end.

NotWii

Banned
Alts said:
Because of the graphics, and a terrible overworld. Yes, if you overlook these flaws there is a phenomenal game underneath, but the flaws are still there.
I don't deny that... but scores like these will prevent people from noticing this above average game.

Anyone else think the grain filter hurts the game more than it helps?
The game would probably look very clean without it like killer7 did.

In terms of move sets, am I the only one that prefers the Tsubaki Mk I? When the MK II became available, I quickly bought it and upgraded it completely but never liked how slow it is despite its power.

Alts

Wii said:
I don't deny that... but scores like these will prevent people from noticing this above average game.

Anyone else think the grain filter hurts the game more than it helps?
The game would probably look very clean without it like killer7 did.

And 8 is certainly above average. Having scores higher than Assassin's Creed isn't going to keep people from playing this. Having a nonexistant advertising campaign and a small print run will.

Shanks

pulga said:
Holy crap, I love Travis :lol Just got ascended to fifth rank.
"Sir Henry motherfucker. What a pussy!" This feels like a copout though, Suda owes me a boss battle, he better make up for it by game's end.

I VERY much agree with you. When that happened (especially after that shit ass level), I just sat staring at the screen for like 10 seconds annoyed. That was the only time so far (Rank 4 now) during the game where I felt seriously disappointed. For some reason, I felt that Rank 4 wasn't so hot either.

pulga

Banned
Shanks said:
I VERY much agree with you. When that happened (especially after that shit ass level), I just sat staring at the screen for like 10 seconds annoyed. That was the only time so far (Rank 4 now) during the game where I felt seriously disappointed. For some reason, I felt that Rank 4 wasn't so hot either.

I liked Rank 4, if only for the payoff. :lol Rank 3 was pretty crappy though, plus
Thunder Ryu's death didn't have such a big impact seeing as we didn't know crap about him, his ties with Speed Buster, AND the fact he's still around in ghost form.

Basically, the only complaints I have as of know are Rank 5 (might be redeemed with an extra eventual boss battle?), Rank 3, and the shitty as hell motorcycle which will topple over a peanut. Hell of a game so far, though. :D

NotWii

Banned
pulga said:
I liked Rank 4, if only for the payoff. :lol Rank 3 was pretty crappy though, plus
Thunder Ryu's death didn't have such a big impact seeing as we didn't know crap about him, his ties with Speed Buster, AND the fact he's still around in ghost form.
I was afraid I couldn't do THAT! at the gym anymore, cause I liked THAT! Yes THAT!

Aurelius

After seeing these movies I have cancelled my pre-order.

http://games.fok.nl/news.php?newsid=23320

That they have removed the blood for the European version is bad enough, but now they have also changed the cut-scenes. It a matter of principle, I just don’t want to be told what is suitable for me as a 32 year old gamer. It’s a shame since I was really hyped for this game. Hopefully I will be able to play the NTSC-version sometime in the future using a Freeloader.

Top Bottom