• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shit just got real - FBI raiding college campuses arresting multiple coaches

Just hilarious seeing all these big name schools being implicated. These fuckers thumb their nose at every opportunity to other programs just trying to scrape by and largely do things the right way.

But their tens of millions per year they get in revenue isn't enough. They have to bribe teenagers and their families to keep up. The fallout will be interesting. NCAA going to have some bad days ahead.

Just crazy that apparel manufactures are potentially some officials in the NCAA are involved too. Well, the NCAA thing isn't that surprising. But even Nike and Adidas? Wow.

Go to a major AAU tournament and apparel companies being involved will cease to surprise you.

FyreWulff

I mean, this is exactly the FBI's job - to investigate cross-state crime. It's not like local police would ever persue investigations against their own local sports schools, there's too much conflict of interest.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
How many dudes involved in this who were NOT arrested today are sweating it out wondering if they will get popped next with a friendly knock on the door.

Draxal

I mean, this is exactly the FBI's job - to investigate cross-state crime. It's not like local police would ever persue investigations against their own local sports schools, there's too much conflict of interest.

Ayup, this would actually fall under Rico - Wire Fraud, which is 100% FBI.

Rvaan

Banned
Yeah, can't post them due to privacy concerns, but two are sec, suck at basketball but we're competitive in football for a good stretch until the last two or three years, the other a big 10 that sucks at football and mediocre at basketball (a traditional power though) and an aac school that has been to final fours but not recently. A bad stretch for me, so let's knock the big boys down through sanctions I say!

Based of off that info I'd guess those schools are Ole Miss, Arkansas, Indiana, and Memphis.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Adidas acting like they didn't know.

20170926_1055126esmh.png

I'm not debating their authority, just seems like a victimless crime. I mean, does anyone not know there is corruption in college sports?

Would you consider child labor a victimless crime? Like, if I owned a mining company and paid your aunt so that you'd work in my mine, and then be indentured to work in my friend's mine, and then when you turn 22 you have the opportunity to be paid to work in my mine...... Is this victimless?

Or, are they not victims because they're merely being used by corporations and government to entertain us with their athletic talent? Or, should the FBI not investigate because "Everybody knows there's corruption in college sports!" Isn't that more of a reason to investigate if everybody knows it's corrupt? This is not even considering other colleges, universities, and students who are not the recipients of bribery and extortion and how that affects their education.

Beyond the child exploitation angle is the additional angle that government employees are being investigated for bribery, conspiracy, and wire fraud. These are federal and state funded institutions that receive huge portions of tax dollars and often report to state boards that report to state governors. Should the FBI not investigate government fraud and organized crime...? Like, what should the FBI investigate if not organized crime in government? The FBI investigating organized crime is, like, one of its chief responsibilities, it's the only government agency that can do that.

FyreWulff

How many dudes involved in this who were NOT arrested today are sweating it out wondering if they will get popped next with a friendly knock on the door.

That's why they popped into multiple schools at once for arrest. Once one person heard it going down, the rest were going to start shredding, flushing, or bounce from the country.

Yeah, can't post them due to privacy concerns, but two are sec, suck at basketball but we're competitive in football for a good stretch until the last two or three years, the other a big 10 that sucks at football and mediocre at basketball (a traditional power though) and an aac school that has been to final fours but not recently. A bad stretch for me, so let's knock the big boys down through sanctions I say!

Nebraska? Been an Adidas school for a while and just made a big deal about re-upping the Adidas contract. Depends on if you meant traditional power in football or basketball..

TraBuch

Banned
A corporation is basically buying high school kids. These coaches used their position of leverage to profit off of children. We are talking about high school kids desperate for scholarships. These coaches exploited them to pocket money from Adidas.
Not that I necessarily disagree with the sentiment, but saying they're desperate for scholarships is a bit misleading. These kids could get a scholarship to just about any school they want, grades be damned. We're talking about elite basketball prospects. There are exceptions, of course, but if you're good enough, schools will get you admitted.

I'm a Duke fan, but I'd be lying if I said guys like Trevon Duval are getting admitted due to their own scholastic achievements.

This ever so much. I gave 0 fucks when the gov wasted time on baseball, I give even less of a fuck about college sports / NCAA.

It's like you don't understand how laws or the FBI can work. They can do more than one thing at once. And bribing teenagers on a national level is kind of an important crime to look at. You'll be shocked to learn the IRS is probably interested in this too.

FBI's job is to investigate federal crimes and crimes that cross state lines.

This ever so much. I gave 0 fucks when the gov wasted time on baseball, I give even less of a fuck about college sports / NCAA.

And about 50% of the electorate give less fucks about Donald Trump conspiring with Russia to win the election, but the FBI does not hold Twitter polls asking where they should investigate next.

Maybe you don't care about government corruption, but that's specifically the FBI's job.

posting irrelevant gifs is fun, but let's remember here... The highest paid government employees in these states are the people charged with these crimes, these institutions are government institutions, and even if private colleges are investigated as part of this, private colleges receive hundreds of millions of dollars in state and federal funding and are tax exempt institutions:

Sx1WkXN.png

Now, as far as I know, none of these guys above are part of this investigation... But when the list of schools under investigation comes out, we can google the school name and then it's a pretty safe bet that the coach and athletic director are in the top 10 highest paid government employees in that state.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Wow, this seems to be out of nowhere. I need to read more about what types of crimes were committed but on it's face this seems like another instance of the NCAA being dicks.

I think the issue some people may be having with calling college athletics "child exploitation" is that these athletes are all 18-22 years old. They can sign legal contracts, drive, be sent off to die in a war, smoke, live on their own, etc... (except drink alcohol.) For most things, they are adults.

I think the issue some people may be having with calling college athletics "child exploitation" is that these athletes are all 18-22 years old. They can sign legal contracts, drive, be sent off to die in a war, smoke, live on their own, etc... (except drink alcohol.) For most things, they are adults.

Most of them aren't 18 when they are being steered as juniors in high school.

Armaros

They get prospected and pushed to certain schools during high school. You think coaches waited until 18 to start this?

They were children when it started.

Most of them aren't 18 when they are being steered as juniors in high school.
Yes, but that's when they're still in high school, I think most of the "child labor" comments refer to when they're in college.

For example:
Would you consider child labor a victimless crime? Like, if I owned a mining company and paid your aunt so that you'd work in my mine, and then be indentured to work in my friend's mine, and then when you turn 22 you have the opportunity to be paid to work in my mine...... Is this victimless?
The Albatross is specifically including the time during college.

Top Bottom