• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Final Fantasy X for PS3/Vita is an HD Remaster, according to Square

Kyoufu

Yea I really hope this FFX HD is the International version. I just don't really expect it to be.

You should expect it. They won't remaster inferior versions. Same reason why Capcom remastered DMC3:SE instead of the inferior original.

Green Yoshi

What flaws?

Thanks to PAL bars it looked like a widescreen game and the faces had chubby cheeks. Furthermore the characters moved slower because PAL supports only 50Hz.
The German subtitles were quite childish and didn't do justice to the profundity of the game.

Carbonox

I wonder how much they intend to boost the graphics. On the scale of what was accomplished in the MGS collection? Beyond that?

I think this was pretty clear since the announcement. If it was a remake, Square Enix would have advertised it, for sure. Btw, they said 2012 release, and then that the game was still in early production... A full-blown remake needs time to be developed

I wonder how much they intend to boost the graphics. On the scale of what was accomplished in the MGS collection? Beyond that?

I got the impression that this is bigger project than other HD remaster, so maybe they'll add higher res texture or even update some character model. hopefully

1-D_FTW

Just sounds like he's not playing games with words. OoT for the 3DS was most definitely a remaster with some improved visuals (just like he's claiming FF will be), but 90 percent of gaf will fight you to the death claiming OoT is a remake.

So is this really shocking news or is this just some kind of meme that's been going round? It's funny once, but now everyone seems to be headlining the most stupid shit with 'shocking news'.

duckroll

So is this really shocking news or is this just some kind of meme that's been going round? It's funny once, but now everyone seems to be headlining the most stupid shit with 'shocking news'.

I don't know what you're actually asking, but this is definitely SHOCKING NEWS. It's not shocking news though. There's a difference. :p

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So, the original game with HD effects? Fucking sign me up. FX was the most addictive FF for me. I don't if they downgrade it to 2D, I'll play whatever they do with it.

It will be the PS2 game at 720p. Nothing else. Same textures, same lighting, not a single extra poly or effect. Mark my words.

Dunan

Looking forward to this -- and since the International version is fully J-E bilingual, there shouldn't be any delay for the English edition -- and looking forward to the eventual FFXII IZJS remaster even more. (I just hope they finally get around to translating that into English. Imagine if they left it undone and released the remake only in Japan! English speakers workdwide, buy Vitas so that this doesn't happen!)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Since this is being handled with priority, we assume a quick turnaround. Yep, boys, come September of 2015, we shall relish in this new and reformed SE!

sphinx

the piano man
As someone who never played FFX, I am very fine with this.

My plan is to get a decent deal for a Vita sometime in the next years and buy FFX with it but my plans will crumble down if they come out and say it's only getting a PSN release.

this is going to have a Vita retail release .... right?

Derrick01

Banned
Can this company go under already, geez.

No. Not as long as they hold Eidos IPs.

On topic. All I wanted was FF10 with trophies so I don't even care if they just ported the game without HD. It was the last FF I really enjoyed and despite the awful main character and it being really easy, it was still pretty fun.

OOT 3D had all new assets and was basically rebuilt ground up. I don't think that's been the case for any of the HD Classics on PS3?

It's all varying degrees of remastering IMO. A remake would be destroying everything and making the game as if it were designed as a 2012 game, like what would have to happen with FFVII. OOT 3D is just the same N64 game with a slight graphics mod. Underneath it's the same exact game.

ffdgh

As long as it is the international version, i'll bite. and kimahri's main purpose for me was to stay in the middle and get to ultima once I get 3 level four key spheres.

It's all varying degrees of remastering IMO. A remake would be destroying everything and making the game as if it were designed as a 2012 game, like what would have to happen with FFVII. OOT 3D is just the same N64 game with a slight graphics mod. Underneath it's the same exact game.
OOT isn't the same underneath though, there's zero reused code. It's a slavishly faithful remake, but still a ground up remake. From my understanding that's a bit different from the HD remasters, which do use some recycled code and old assets.

If they really polish the graphics and swap the models, then I guess it's one of the few games where the remaster looks better than the original game played with PCSX2 on the PC. I wanna see comparison screenshots before I'm gonna buy it. Kinda regretted the GoW Collection.

duckroll

OOT isn't the same underneath though, there's zero reused code. It's a slavishly faithful remake, but still a ground up remake. From my understanding that's a bit different from the HD remasters, which do use some recycled code and old assets.

Please. None of that matters to the end user. What matters to consumers when the terms "port" and "remake" are used is the content. A remake is when a game is at least somewhat different, but based on an existing game. A port is when the same game is released on another platform. The actual "code" doesn't really matter to anyone other than the people making it.

It will be the PS2 game at 720p. Nothing else. Same textures, same lighting, not a single extra poly or effect. Mark my words.

that's my concern. but if square actually puts some effort into making it a better game to play, then i'll be buying my first HD remaster.

I think whether code is reused or not is completely irrelevant. Only thing that matters is what the user sees and interacts with. From that perspective, only thing separating OOT 3D from the N64 game is a bit more detailed graphics. Nothing about the game itself was reinvented. It's basically like those FFVII PC mods with the higher poly characters and what not substituted in.

Adamm

Expected this & still planning on day one.

Give me trophies for killing all dark aeons & I will sink countless hours into this again :D

SykoTech

Please. None of that matters to the end user. What matters to consumers when the terms "port" and "remake" are used is the content. A remake is when a game is at least somewhat different, but based on an existing game. A port is when the same game is released on another platform. The actual "code" doesn't really matter to anyone other than the people making it.

Yup, pretty much.

Will giving this a pass then. All the remake talk in previous threads had me kinda on the fence. But now, I'm not really sure why I believed they go that far.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
that's my concern. but if square actually puts some effort into making it a better game to play, then i'll be buying my first HD remaster.

First, it's how these things usually work in general, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath being a notable exception.
Second, this is SE we're talking about.
FFXI on 360 and PC were completely identical to the PS2 version in every way except for the option of higher screen resolutions, FFS.
Wait... the 360 version freezes when there are tons of characters onscreen at once, so badly that you have to unplug the console. I guess that counts as an extra graphical feature.

StuBurns

Banned
First, it's how these things usually work in general, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath being a notable exception.
FFXI on 360 and PC were completely identical to the PS2 version in every way except for the option of higher screen resolutions, FFS.
Square are not lazy. They could have ported the NES version to the DS of FF3, but they remade it from scratch in full 3D. They could have ported the SNES version of FF4, but they remade that in full 3D, then when they brought 4 to the PSP, they could have ported the DS game, but they did a full 2D remake.

I don't know where this myth comes from, but Square are not shy for spending the cash to do their Final Fantasies justice when moving to newer platforms.

I'm pretty sure they'll put more effort into FFX. It's a bigger release.

TAJ

I'm pretty sure they'll put more effort into FFX. It's a bigger release.

There's not a chance in hell that this FFX "remaster" will make as much money for them as those FFXI ports did.

Boss Man

I don't think Square Enix is even capable of remaking FFX for this gen, and it less open than the previous installments. HD is hard for them I think.

Boss Man

XIII is way grander than X.
I disagree. It looks prettier, but it's an entirely different kind of game. It's like saying Call of Duty is grander than Skyrim.

Everything in FFXIII felt like I was inside of a level instead of being inside of a universe->world->continent->town->house->here.

RPGCrazied

This is probably one of the few HD remaster games I'd buy at full price. Yes, $60! :p Next to IX, its my favorite Final Fantasy game. So if its not a remake, it really shouldn't take a year or more to get this out, right? I guess redoing the CG's might take some time, but still.

There's not a chance in hell that this FFX remaster will make as much money for them as those FFXI ports did.

I mean look, the entire selling point of these HD remasters is improved visuals, nothing else. That's what will determine how much the game sells beyond the FFX ultra fans. And you're saying SE will skimp out on that part and just do a hack job? Why would they even bother then? FFXI PC port was about selling a ps2 MMO to the bigger PC crowd, it wasn't "Now you can play this classic ps2 game in remastered high definition on your jacked up PC!".

Top Bottom