• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Final Fantasy X for PS3/Vita is an HD Remaster, according to Square

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I disagree. It looks prettier, but it's an entirely different kind of game. It's like saying Call of Duty is grander than Skyrim.
Like what? Both are somewhat linear games. FFX just has good pacing. They're pretty similar.

And, uh, you edited Killzone 2 with Call of Duty.

Jeff_Chen

Banned
Who cares. Just ship the effing game and let us be the judge. But I'm afraid that's the hardest thing for Square Enix nowadays.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
OOT isn't the same underneath though, there's zero reused code. It's a slavishly faithful remake, but still a ground up remake. From my understanding that's a bit different from the HD remasters, which do use some recycled code and old assets.

As a user, it still looks like a port/remaster to me. The ones that are actual remakes are Tomb Raider Anniversary and Resident Evil GC/Wii.

Boss Man

Fair enough, it's not that drastic at all. Still though, FFX did have a traversable world map and I actually don't believe that SE can do that right now.

SE can't do large-scale HD. Nope...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4lrJCL2O4w

The player has a shitty connection, though.
FFXIV, like FFXI, is a series of zones. You couldn't fly an airship around the world. Unlike FFXI, FFXIV is filled with not-so-subtle copy/pasting.

inner-G

Banned
Can't wait to replay the best ps2 FF!

Never finished the International version, so it will be a little new regardless.

Boss Man

No it didn't.
Am I remembering it wrong? I could have sworn that FFX had a world map and chocobos, and at least an instant-travel airship and semi-interesting destinations. I'm not arguing that FFX wasn't the first step down the road we're on now with Final Fantasy, but I certainly don't remember it being as guided and closed as FFXIII.

Levyne

Banned
I felt like XIII took the worst parts of X and made them worser.

Looking forward to this and the inevitable X-2 ad XII remasters as well as FFVI PSVita

(FFVI PSVita has not been announced, just wishful thinking)

RPGCrazied

This really should've been X AND X-2, all sold for $40. Why can't SE be like all the other companies releasing these HD collections? Is it really all about the $$$?

Crazetex

I hope they redo FFX's gaudy pink and purple vomit menu; I doubt it, though. (Give me FFXIII's menus, mmkay?)

Not really excited until they hopefully release FFXII:IZJS in HD; I want to get Holy before Pharos. :<

I felt like XIII took the worst parts of X and made them worser.

Looking forward to this and the inevitable X-2 ad XII remasters as well as FFVI PSVita

(FFVI PSVita has not been announced, just wishful thinking)

I'm positive FFVI will be for 3DS. SE seems to go with successors to the game's original platform.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Final Fantasy XII HD please.

GIVE ME THAT HD BALTHIER SQUARENIX!

StuBurns

Banned
Am I remembering it wrong? I could have sworn that FFX had a world map and chocobos, and at least an instant-travel airship and semi-interesting destinations. I'm not arguing that FFX wasn't the first step down the road we're on now with Final Fantasy, but I certainly don't remember it being as guided and closed as FFXIII.
It's every bit as guided, maybe more really. There is no world map you traverse, it's a linear path start to finish, there are chocobos and a little open section though (not even comparable in scale to Gran Pulse however).

As a production, X is not even approaching the scope of XIII. Certainly, it's the better game, but SE could very comfortably remake it with the XIII quality assets.

The older games offer a much greater challenge. The scope of 7/8/9 are huge, with lots of significant towns and lots of extras, but even still, that's only an issue if you literally try and do it like XIII, I think what people would actually want is 'frame' for frame remakes, the same fixed camera angles, just everything rendered in 3D. If that was the aim, I think remaking them would be quite feasible.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Final Fantasy XII HD please.

GIVE ME THAT HD BALTHIER SQUARENIX!

It's the only FF re-release in HD that'll I'll buy. Hear me, Square-Enix?

But it better be the I:ZJS release. Not the vanilla XII.

Yes, you are. X was linear as fuck. Just as bad as XIII. People bitching about XIII and forgetting X is just as bad as "VIII is worst. FF. evar." people who conveniently (or didn't play) forget II exists.

X only "opened up with airships" right at the END. Otherwise it's "Hold Forward Fantasy X: The Movie: The Game" up until Zanarkand.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Do you think they'd go with the revised international version? Because after giving it a go a few months back, I wouldn't play it any other way.
Never played the International version. What are the changes?

Do you think they'd go with the revised international version? Because after giving it a go a few months back, I wouldn't play it any other way.

Any FF or KH remaster would have to the be the latest and greatest release. They're not going to sell an inferior product.

duckroll

A new sphere grid option where everyone starts at the center and you can freely decide what sort of build to make every character, instead of being forced to start at certain clusters for each character.

Some bonus bosses and shit that no one really cares about. It's mostly about the sphere grid.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Job board/classes
L1->Fast forward/frame skip
New Gambits
New bosses (IIRC)
Tweaks and spit-shine

Oh and:

No Zodiac Spear fiasco.

Ducky: He's talking about 12, not 10.

Zoe

The international version has English voices, right? If they go with it, I hope they bring back the Japanese for the Japanese release :\

Boss Man

It's every bit as guided, maybe more really. There is no world map you traverse, it's a linear path start to finish, there are chocobos and a little open section though (not even comparable in scale to Gran Pulse however).

As a production, X is not even approaching the scope of XIII. Certainly, it's the better game, but SE could very comfortably remake it with the XIII quality assets.

The older games offer a much greater challenge. The scope of 7/8/9 are huge, with lots of significant towns and lots of extras, but even still, that's only an issue if you literally try and do it like XIII, I think what people would actually want is 'frame' for frame remakes, the same fixed camera angles, just everything rendered in 3D. If that was the aim, I think remaking them would be quite feasible.
I get the feeling that SE is afraid to put an artistically modeled tiny town in a big HD overworld so they just play it safe. It's like they're afraid to be creative with the scope...or they just aren't that creative. I hate to sound like a dbag, but it seems with each installment it gets worse.

For instance, FFXIV has the same races as the previous MMO. It's like they took the old one, made it sparse and lifeless, put it in HD, then copy/pasted the rest. I don't know if this is a result of time constraints (I imagine making a genuine Final Fantasy would take a long time with current standards- and they may just not have it) or what, but it's definitely disappointing.

I'll stop posting off-topic though. This discussion is in every thread related to Square Enix, everything to say has been said already.

Final BALTHIER Fantasy XII HD Remaster?

I'm in.

And I'm so happy they decided to skip VII, VIII and IX, that means XII is the next game to be reworked! AND YALL WILL DEAL!

DaBuddaDa

For instance, FFXIV has the same races as the previous MMO.

They're different races altogether in name but they're definite facsimiles. This I can understand though; the FFXI players moving over would have gone ape if they had scrapped the old archetypes and started from scratch. It'd be like World of Warcraft 2 without anything recognizable as Elves, Tauren or Orcs.

Boss Man

They're different races altogether in name but they're definite facsimiles. This I can understand though; the FFXI players moving over would have gone ape if they had scrapped the old archetypes and started from scratch. It'd be like World of Warcraft 2 without anything recognizable as Elves, Tauren or Orcs.
It's a valid point, but I'm not sure it's comparable to a WoW 2 situation. The WoW successor will probably have Elves and Orcs, but they won't be the exact same model except with less creativity. You know the difference between the races of FFXI and FFXIV? They took the tail off of the Galka.

Either way, it's not just about the races. I think the obvious comparison to FFXI just makes it more apparent how...bland...FFXIV is. It really just looks like they pulled FFXI's soul out, repeated a bunch of environments, and put it in HD. Maybe I'm being cynical, but there just doesn't seem to be anything left for Final Fantasy. If not for money, FFIX should have probably been the last title in the series, with FFXI being Final Fantasy Online or whatever. The series just feels dead, so much so that people are more excited about playing remakes of their older games than whatever new thing they're doing. Frankly, I'm worried about a FFX HD remake. I wonder if blue-dotted lines will make their way in, or what might make its way out. That's why a remaster is better news IMO.

DaBuddaDa

Either way, it's not just about the races. I think the obvious comparison to FFXI just makes it more apparent how...bland...FFXIV is. It really just looks like they pulled FFXI's soul out, repeated a bunch of environments, and put it in HD.

And removed all the combat systems that made FFXI fun :(

I am going to give XIV another shot after their huge "re-launch" patch supposedly coming this Fall.

Mario007

though they are planning to add new races, or at least allow for both genders of the gender specific races to be playable

StuBurns

Banned
I get the feeling that SE is afraid to put an artistically modeled tiny town in a big HD overworld so they just play it safe. It's like they're afraid to be creative with the scope...or they just aren't that creative. I hate to sound like a dbag, but it seems with each installment it gets worse.

For instance, FFXIV has the same races as the previous MMO. It's like they took the old one, made it sparse and lifeless, put it in HD, then copy/pasted the rest. I don't know if this is a result of time constraints (I imagine making a genuine Final Fantasy would take a long time with current standards- and they may just not have it) or what, but it's definitely disappointing.
Versus XIII used to have that same strange perspective world map, but they changed to real size scale, and there is a screen shot of the old style (only a mag scan so we can't post it), and personally, I do think it looks a bit silly. It doesn't bother me with Ni no Kuni, but with the more realistic art direction, I'm not sure the crazy scale world map works.

I do think SE are gun shy, but I think it's understandable, FFXIII very likely cost more than a hundred million dollars to build and market, at that sort of cost, you need three million units at full price just to break even, it has to be all things to all people, and in doing that, it ends up having all of it's edges smoothed for the worse.

Where money isn't a concern, SE can be as bold as they want, something like TWEWY is both incredible, and utterly bizarre, a game of that style, with the budget of FF would have hurt SE significantly. They have to separate their breadwinners from their 'art' at this point.

I think whether code is reused or not is completely irrelevant. Only thing that matters is what the user sees and interacts with. From that perspective, only thing separating OOT 3D from the N64 game is a bit more detailed graphics. Nothing about the game itself was reinvented. It's basically like those FFVII PC mods with the higher poly characters and what not substituted in.
Actually OOT3D also has some new models, entirely new textures (including altered textures to make parts of the game easier), significant control and interface changes (touchscreen inventory, gyro aim, reworked boots system), Gossip Stone Super Guide integration, a new orchestrated end song, a boss rush mode, Master Quest and probably some other minor additions I'm overlooking. It's not like a couple PS2 or PC games bumped up to 720p and locked at a decent framerate, which is what we've seen for the most part in the PS3 HD remasters so far. We'll have to see if FFX does more though, I'd think it almost has to.

That's not true. It uses the original scripting.
It doesn't from my understanding. All script language had to be rewritten to accomodate the new Link models since they had slightly different dimensions.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

There are tiny towns. Oh, and that big one I showed you? Leaving there for the surrounding area, which is utterly massive, (and has some small towns) is completely seamless.

Actually OOT3D also has some new models, entirely new textures (including altered textures to make parts of the game easier), significant control and interface changes (touchscreen inventory, gyro aim, reworked boots system), Gossip Stone Super Guide integration, a new orchestrated end song, a boss rush mode, Master Quest and probably some other minor additions I'm overlooking. It's not like a couple PS2 or PC games bumped up to 720p and locked at a decent framerate, which is what we've seen for the most part in the PS3 HD remasters so far. We'll have to see if FFX does more though, I'd think it almost has to.

But stuff like that seems insignificant. Would you consider FFXII IZJS a remake because of all the added/tweaked content?

There are tiny towns. Oh, and that big one I showed you? Leaving there for the surrounding area, which is utterly massive, (and has some small towns) is completely seamless.

The art in single player FF's is a lot more detailed than the MMO games. Just look at FFXII. Rabanastre and Archades have so much more going on than that video you posted, which just looks like a bunch of huge empty spaces with repeated textures.

Top Bottom