• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Final Fantasy X for PS3/Vita is an HD Remaster, according to Square

I'm not so convinced. I wish I was though.

They have to sell these things in Japan too (in fact, primarily.) Even though the US hasn't gotten these international versions of every FF game, they're the default, standard version now for people in the countries where they were released. SE isn't going to deliver a product that shorts the expectations of one (or in FFX's case, two) markets just to stick it to the US (and I'm not sure why they'd want to do that anyway.) If you look at past remaster-style re-releases, they've always been based on the most content-complete previous version (the PSP versions of FFI, FFII, and FFIV all have all the extra content from the GBA versions, for example.)

As always, it's really silly to let this kind of desperate need to be cynical about something get in the way of actually thinking something through.

Pachinko

Was there seriously any question of it being anything more or less then that ? The CG will be remastered in HD, the sound will be upgraded to 7.1 perhaps and possibly the home version may have a 3d display option but at the end of the day it'll be the exact same game in 720p with anti aliasing.

And yeah, I'd expect it'll be the FFX international version. I mean it was released in europe right? that way they can even sell it for more money in the states claiming it has "never before seen content".

Was there seriously any question of it being anything more or less then that ? The CG will be remastered in HD, the sound will be upgraded to 7.1 perhaps and possibly the home version may have a 3d display option but at the end of the day it'll be the exact same game in 720p with anti aliasing.

Well they could also replace all the low poly models with the high poly versions. Maybe improved lighting? I just think SE will go above and beyond with this remastering, though obviously not full remake.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
So is this it? Are the days when games would get real remakes gone? From now on its just gonna be "remastering" nonsense? I'll add this to the long list of why the current generation blows.

Yes, this one game is proof positive that there will never be another remake. Let us weep.

Its not just this game there's alot of these so-called remasters now with more on the way. But this and Snake Eater 3D are the first examples of this crud infecting handhelds whereas before it was console-only. There may still be some real remakes here and there but it looks like they'll be exception instead of the norm. Prolly mostly stuff that was once 2d and "low budget" by comparison to these complex big budget games that're getting remasters instead of remakes.

Also this is Square who until now fully remade there FF and DQ games. That they aren't this time is telling. I fully expect a DQV & DQVIII "hd" ports will be done in this same lame way.

StuBurns

Banned
So is this it? Are the days when games would get real remakes gone? From now on its just gonna be "remastering" nonsense? I'll add this to the long list of why the current generation blows.
Yes, this one game is proof positive that there will never be another remake. Let us weep.

Petrichor

Best story in a final fantasy game and one of the best battle systems / character progression systems (also easily the best implementation of "summons" in the franchise). Day one.

fernoca

If anything ,is one of those wait and see things.
Not all the HD Remasters on PS3 were "good"; visuals didn't received the expected "jump", problems with slowdowns, and even crashes (I'm looking at you Ubisoft).

Plus it is kinda suspicious the way they've been handing the reveal of this game. Reveal the logo, then not say much, then been ambiguous about whether it's a remake or remaster, then say development is still early, then confirm is a remaster...while not showing any single screenshot of it (which is the one thing that should've cleared any doubts and show what they're aiming to release).

But as long as it means Shiva in HD, I'm in. :p

1hN5u.jpg

Cheska

They could have just ported the game straight over, and I'd have been happy :) Getting an HD remaster sounds like an even sweeter deal.

Famassu

Not forgetting that this is coming to both PS3 & Vita, what I'm getting from that comment (with a hint of speculation) is that they might actually be upping the graphical quality to something that could put the Vita to its limits, and then just probably offer that in HD (720p or 1080p) with the PS3 version. So... maybe some higher quality character models, improved lighting & other effects and better textures, but the game itself will be exactly the same as the original game gameplay & story-wise. That's why they only consider it a remaster, not a full remake, which would probably include significant changes to the story & gameplay (like, making FFX's combat play like XII or XIII(-2)).

Sounds like what they did with FFIV Complete's version of IV (noticeably higher res sprites), except giving the same treatment to a FF game with 3D graphics.

Bleh, I want to see this now. If it's just a PS2 game in HD with some slightly improved textures, meh. If it's something closer to XIII, graphics-wise, sign me up.

B.K.

I wonder if Square Enix will have to port another game so they can release the game in America as a bundle. Sony won't let companies release PSP Remasters by themselves in America. They have to be in a bundle. Does the same apply to PS2 games? Had any PS2 remastered game been released in America by itself and not in a collection?

CSX

im picturing 480p CG scenes and then sudden transition to 720p gaming.

Its gonna look hideous right? :\

UraMallas

I disagree. It looks prettier, but it's an entirely different kind of game. It's like saying Call of Duty is grander than Skyrim.

Everything in FFXIII felt like I was inside of a level instead of being inside of a universe->world->continent->town->house->here.

I thought that FFX felt like levels as well. It's the first Final Fantasy that I started but did not finish. I never played FFX-2 or FFXII so I hope they put those on one disc and release them. As for an HD remaster of X? Get serious. I wouldn't be surprised if S-E has the audacity to price this at $40, either.

StuBurns

Banned
I wonder if Square Enix will have to port another game so they can release the game in America as a bundle. Sony won't let companies release PSP Remasters by themselves in America. They have to be in a bundle. Does the same apply to PS2 games? Had any PS2 remastered game been released in America by itself and not in a collection?
That is the rule, and nothing has broken it as of yet. However, there are different classifications for ports, which require a certain amount of additional content. There are a few options, firstly it doesn't come to retail, which is absolutely not going to happen, secondly they have enough new content to be considered a port, and are thus allowed a retail release without packaging a second game, or third Sony are just letting them break the rules.

StuBurns

Banned
This is Square Enix. We know that won't happen. Unless Sony considers the International content to be new.
It's bizarre you both write off the idea because of the publisher in one sentence, then reference 'international' content, something the company has done with lots of their games for rereleases in the second sentence.

I don't know why you think SE are lazy or cheap, but they certainly are not.

Ridley327

The Prince of Persia trilogy was available as individual titles long before they put them on a disc in the US, but those were available only on PSN.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Not trolling but man did FFX had an annoying cast or what? Yuna, Tidus, Wakka, etc
Auron was the only cool character.

Auron was the only really good character in the game. Rikku and Lulu gets a pass because I wanted to hump them.

And Wakka is probably the worst character I've ever encountered in any game ever. What a fucking annoying turdgobbler.

Petrichor

Auron was the only really good character in the game. Rikku and Lulu gets a pass because I wanted to hump them.

And Wakka is probably the worst character I've ever encountered in any game ever. What a fucking annoying turdgobbler.

Wakka was annoying but there are far worse characters even in the final fantasy series. Wakka at least has an interesting arch (ardent yevon believer to reluctant heathen). There's no point in snow or hope existing at all in FF13 AND they're fucking irritating to boot.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Wakka was annoying but there are far worse characters even in the final fantasy series. Wakka at least has an interesting arch (ardent yevon believer to reluctant heathen). There's no point in snow or hope existing at all in FF13 AND they're fucking irritating to boot.

Snow and Hope are awful, but Wakka easily outshits them. I absolutely hated his douchebag surfer bro personality, and his voice acting made him sound like he suffered from severe mental retardation. Kimahri was kinda shit too, but that was really just due to him being so useless :p

RedSwirl

I'm still not sure what that means though. I'm sure they'll still be using the PS2 assets, but what does "greatly improved visuals" mean? IQ?

What about the few pre-rendered backgrounds in the game?

Zee-Row

Banned
No chance of this getting a redub in English huh? At the very least I wish they would give you the option to not rename Tidus so they could redub some of the lines so that they can call him by his name , instead of them always referring to him as "him". Dragon Quest 8 did it a lot better when the characters refereed to the main character as "Guv" as a nickname.

RedSwirl

Its not just this game there's alot of these so-called remasters now with more on the way. But this and Snake Eater 3D are the first examples of this crud infecting handhelds whereas before it was console-only. There may still be some real remakes here and there but it looks like they'll be exception instead of the norm. Prolly mostly stuff that was once 2d and "low budget" by comparison to these complex big budget games that're getting remasters instead of remakes.

Also this is Square who until now fully remade there FF and DQ games. That they aren't this time is telling. I fully expect a DQV & DQVIII "hd" ports will be done in this same lame way.

I think most of them have decided that with the PS2, 3D games reached a point where they looked good enough to age well if you just keep improving the image quality. That said, I actually think FFX is probably one of the most aged-looking PS2 games. PS2 games that came out in the same year though - MGS2, Ico, and Silent Hill 2, still look really good after little more than a resolution bump, especially Ico. That hardware was the point where art direction could really start to shine in 3D games.

What IS getting remade are PS1 and N64 games that look absolutely hopeless at this point. OOT, MGS1, Klonoa, SH1, RE1, etc. Even all those games were remade on basically last-gen hardware. Beyond that it's just a problem of resources. The only exception to this trend is Halo Anniversary, which used a pretty clever methods of pasting current gen assets on top of a 2001 engine.

Rpgmonkey

Shocking news indeed. :p

And I still don't get why people think Square Enix wouldn't base this (or an HD re-release of X-2 and XII) on the International version.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'd rather we see it at 60 FPS than remade at 30 FPS. I am so in love with MGS3 HD.

Bladenic

I'll probably still buy this since I love FFX, but if they're gonna try and sell this game for 40 bucks stand alone, there better be some MAJOR graphical improvements.

Thoraxes

Will buy if I can have Japanese voices with English subtitles

This may make me import the Japanese PS3 copy (for the voices that is). Hopefully it'll be 1080p and look nice on my TV.

Or to be easy on my developing skills, a hopeful Chinese version.
Agreed. Every cast member bar Khimari was well integrated into the story and brought an interesting perspective to the table.

It's like the anti-FF13
I just didn't like the portrayal of Lulu towards the end, but that's for another thread (and not this one).

Famassu

I'm still not sure what that means though. I'm sure they'll still be using the PS2 assets, but what does "greatly improved visuals" mean? IQ?
This new statement gives the impression that they are doing more than just offering the exact same game in higher resolution, which is what other HD remasters have mostly done. "Greatly improved visuals" mean just that, greatly improved visuals. The rumors that this would be Final Fantasy X with Final Fantasy XIII level visuals might've not been wrong. They simply don't want to call it a remake because they aren't really remaking anything, just improving the quality of the visuals (and probably audio too). It'll still play the same and have the same cutscenes as the original game, it could just look a hell of a lot better.

Though, based on this stamenet alone, I'm not willing to bet that it's 100% certain this game will be X with XIII-level visuals. But it makes it seem like it is more than just the kind of HD remasters we've gotten so far. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what's true.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm actually happy this is just a remaster. I didn't want to spend years and years hearing about what would essentially amount to a new game (in terms of development.) It's FFX. I know what it is already. I'm not that interested in a long hype cycle.

Was there seriously any question of it being anything more or less then that ?

There was some extremely foolish speculation that they were giving the game a significant remake treatment.

This new statement gives the impression that they are doing more than just offering the exact same game in higher resolution, which is what other HD remasters have mostly done.

They're going to switch out low-poly models for the high-quality cutscene versions (or downsampled versions of the cutscene-quality models), add some new effects, rerender the 2D backgrounds, and maybe redo some of the textures in places that are particularly egregiously low-res.

Top Bottom