• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Final Fantasy X for PS3/Vita is an HD Remaster, according to Square

But stuff like that seems insignificant. Would you consider FFXII IZJS a remake because of all the added/tweaked content?
to me:

Remake: as good as a decent current gen game
Remaster: as good as high res earlier game

OOT looks good by 3DS standards, and much better than the N64 version; you can't achieve it using any kind of simulator tweak, etc.
if FF X looks nearly as good as FF XIII, I would say a remake; if only as good as high res simulator output, remaster

or put other word:
remasters: are like PC games that you play at a forced higher res as the systems have advanced

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
StuBurns said:
As a production, X is not even approaching the scope of XIII. Certainly, it's the better game, but SE could very comfortably remake it with the XIII quality assets.

I can't say I agree with that statement.

The big difference between X and XIII is that X has a load of side-content, an area XIII was severely lacking in.

Just consider how differently acquiring aeons/summons is handled in X and how many there are of them, the number of bonus dungeons, all the celestial weapon mini-games, Blitzball, the monster arena challenges, cactuar quests, al bhed dictionaries and jecht spheres to collect, etc.

FFX was a big game to 100%, and if you add the extras from the International Edition (Dark Aeons and alternate Sphere Grid) which no doubt will make it into the remaster... its even bigger.

FF X gave you an airship you couldn't fly and a world map with locations and POIs.

A lot of times those POIs were a random chest you'd see on top of a hill as you went by. Yep, you couldn't jump up there you had to use the airship and land in that exact spot.

FF X-2 expanded it somewhat by allowing you to jump.

But stuff like that seems insignificant. Would you consider FFXII IZJS a remake because of all the added/tweaked content?

I'd consider it a rerelease with new content. If FFXII IZJS had been released on 360 instead, with new models, all new HD textures and Kinect gesture/voice support, I'd consider that something else.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
But that's the point.

It's supposed to be awkward.

Maybe people thought they were actually laughing at that part.

I had no problems with it (because it was obvious that those laughs were fake)... I only had a problem with the crow laugh.

StuBurns

Banned
The big difference between X and XIII is that X has a load of side-content, an area XIII was severely lacking in.
None of those things have huge physical requirements. I'm not saying FFX isn't the bigger game in practice for the player, just in physical size I think XIII is way larger.

So far, XIII-2 is looking to be much closer to X in that sense.

entremet

I hope they give you the option between the old sphere grid and the International version. The International Version sounds wack.

But that's the point.

It's supposed to be awkward.
Yes. I've said this before, but this was one of the scenes that helped convince me it was a worthwhile change to put voice into FF--I wouldn't have understood the scene the same way reading the text alone.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
FFX was a big game to 100%, and if you add the extras from the International Edition (Dark Aeons and alternate Sphere Grid) which no doubt will make it into the remaster... its even bigger.
Content wise - it took me 160-180 hours to do everything that was in FFX (International ver), including getting a ribbon based armour for all the characters. FFX is clearly bigger when it comes to the actual amount of content available, but FFXIII had a lot more areas and was much bigger in scope.

I hope they give you the option between the old sphere grid and the International version. The International Version sounds wack.
Yes, it gives you a choice to pick one when you start the game. But it's only advisable to pick expert sphere grid if you have at least beaten the game once, otherwise it's easier to mess up your characters. Also, you can only get 78-80k HP for all characters with the default sphere grid. Expert grid has more nodes I think.

.JayZii

Banned
Maybe people thought they were actually laughing at that part.

I had no problems with it (because it was obvious that those laughs were fake)... I only had a problem with the crow laugh.
It's just that so many people have seen it out of context, it doesn't matter that it made sense in the game.

Good to hear, honestly - we might see it sooner rather than later. I'm way more excited for this than I should be, being it's only a remaster but FFX is my favorite in the series. I cannot wait to replay this, especially if it has the extra content of the international version.

PerZona

I was actually dreaming of a remake, but guess reality slap me back to a HD remaster instead. Will definitely pick up both versions though, FFX is my favorite FF game of all time <3

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
StuBurns said:
I'm not saying FFX isn't the bigger game in practice for the player, just in physical size I think XIII is way larger.

Yeah, you're probably right.

It has to be said that simply making the in-game areas bigger and longer is atrocious design practice. What always struck me about XIII was the feeling that you could chop up that game-world into discrete chunks/levels, scramble them about randomly and have pretty much the same overall impact.

Given the quality of the assets (well up to franchise standards) it felt like such a waste.

Toth

I personally did not feel FFX needed a remake. The International version fixed several problems with the game already. I would happily settle for an HD makeover.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Actually I think I've just realized why the levels are so over-large in FFXIII; the battle sequences actually take place in them rather than the bespoke mini-stages that are loaded up every time combat starts in FFX.

Seems like the old story of "smart" production economics having unexpected consequences for the gameplay.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
FFX today is still impressive looking to me.

So a HD remaster sounds great.
Not trolling but man did FFX had an annoying cast or what? Yuna, Tidus, Wakka, etc
Auron was the only cool character.

StuBurns

Banned
Actually I think I've just realized why the levels are so over-large in FFXIII; the battle sequences actually take place in them rather than the bespoke mini-stages that are loaded up every time combat starts in FFX.

Seems like the old story of "smart" production economics having unexpected consequences for the gameplay.
That's actually not the case. You still play in 'battle screens', they just more often match where you were.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Not trolling but man did FFX had an annoying cast or what? Yuna, Tidus, Wakka, etc
Sauron was the only cool character.

If FFVII-FFIX were voiced, we'd probably get annoyed too. :p

... Did many people get annoyed with the speaking cast at Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus?

Sauron was the only cool character.

images

Kyoufu

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a bundle for both versions. Not sure what the price would be but I'd buy it.

Elios83

I've never expected a remake but I still hope that there are a few optimizations.
For example there is no reason not to use the high poly models for the main characters in every situation.

Synless

If they use the good character models throughout the whole game I will not be disappointed, of not than I will be pissed.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I overwhelmingly prefer this option to a remake, because it gives Square less of an opportunity to fuck it up.

And frankly, it doesn't need a full remake.

Top Bottom